Son Gohan's true age finally revealed in English

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Son Gohan's true age finally revealed in English

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Tue Jan 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Gohan clearly stated his age at the beginning of Z, which is 4 1/2.

Saiyan Ark - 4 1/2 - 5 1/2
Namek/Freezer Arks - 5 1/2 - 6
Artifical Human/Cell Arks - 6 1/2 - 9 (if you count ROSAT then he's 10)
Boo Ark - 16/17
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:43 am

Daimo-Rukiri wrote:Gohan clearly stated his age at the beginning of Z, which is 4 1/2.

Saiyan Ark - 4 1/2 - 5 1/2
Namek/Freezer Arks - 5 1/2 - 6
Artifical Human/Cell Arks - 6 1/2 - 9 (if you count ROSAT then he's 10)
Boo Ark - 16/17
There's no "half".
Dragon Ball Chapter 196 wrote:Bluma: "G-Gohan, honey... How old are you?"
Gohan: "This many!"
Bluma: "Even for four, he seems awfully polite to be yours..."
Goku: "Well, Chi-Chi's been teachin' 'I'm an' all..."
Saiyan arc
Artificial Humans arc
6, 9
Boo arc

I find it strange how my text properly conveys "'I'm" yet my posted message has "I'm". You won't know what I'm talking about unless you quote my raw text. I can't be bothered to screen capture this oddity, ahaha.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 12:37 am

Assuming Gohan is born in May, his age would be like this:

757 May: Gohan is born.
761 November 28th: Raditz arrives on Earth. Gohan is four.
762 November 3rd: Vegeta and Nappa arrive on Earth. Gohan is five.
763 May 3rd: Kulilin and Yamcha are revived. Gohan is either six or almost six.
763 September 10th: Tenshinhan and Chiaotzu are revived. Gohan is six.
764 August: Trunks arrives. Gohan is seven.
767 May 12: The androids attack. Gohan is either ten or almost ten.
767 May 18th: Gohan spends a year in the Room of Space and Time. Gohan is 11.
774 April 7th: Gohan attends his first day of senior highschool. Gohan is 17, but as far as the normal society is concerned, he's only 16.

So, either 16 or 17 is valid, depending on how you want to look at it. However, I'm confused as to why he's only starting senior highschool at the age of 16 rather than 15. That only happens if you're born in September, and maybe November and December. So he very well might not have been born in May at all. But even still...even if his Birthday is in September...sure, he'd be only nine when the androids attack, and ten after the year in the Time room, but he'd still be 17/16 in 774 April. The only way he could be 16 (but 15 in the school system's eyes) would be if Raditz arrived on Earth before April rather than in November. We do know how inaccurate the Daizenshū can be at times.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:31 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Assuming Gohan is born in May, his age would be like this:

774 April 7th: Gohan attends his first day of senior highschool. Gohan is 17, but as far as the normal society is concerned, he's only 16.

So, either 16 or 17 is valid, depending on how you want to look at it. However, I'm confused as to why he's only starting senior highschool at the age of 16 rather than 15. That only happens if you're born in September, and maybe November and December. So he very well might not have been born in May at all. But even still...even if his Birthday is in September...sure, he'd be only nine when the androids attack, and ten after the year in the Time room, but he'd still be 17/16 in 774 April. The only way he could be 16 (but 15 in the school system's eyes) would be if Raditz arrived on Earth before April rather than in November. We do know how inaccurate the Daizenshū can be at times.
Didn't Kai episode 99 say that he grew from 9 to 16? That is his right Androids/Cell age.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:08 pm

Gohan is 16 but physically 17 because of the hyperbolic time chamber.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Feb 05, 2017 8:33 pm

simtek34 wrote:Didn't Kai episode 99 say that he grew from 9 to 16? That is his right Androids/Cell age.
I don't remember what the anime (or even the comic) says about his age at any given point other than Gohan's introduction at the age of four. The ages I listed are solely based on the actual time that is said to have passed in the many time skips. If the comic/anime says otherwise, it's likely due to Toriyama not keeping track.

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Mon Feb 06, 2017 8:35 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Assuming Gohan is born in May, his age would be like this:

I don't believe the exact day for Gohan's birthday in May is specified. While Gohan is physically one year older, he's "legally" his normal age in-universe. Gohan isn't a senior nor is he recognized as an inaccurate age in his high school. You're thinking about non-Japanese systems. He's a second year (equivalent to junior for some North Americans) in Dragon World. "~" denotes his birthday is upcoming, the former number listed taking priority.

23rd Tenkaichi Budoukai
Gohan is born one year after its conclusion. [0]
Saiyan arc
Gohan states his age. [4]
The Saiyans invade Earth 11 months, 8 days after Goku's death. [5]
Gohan recovers in the hospital one day after Vegeta's defeat & four days, overall. [5]
The spaceship is completed 2 days later. [5]
Namek arc
Gohan & company depart from Earth 5 days later. [5]
Gohan & company arrive on Namek 34 days later. [5]
Goku arrives & defeats Freeza 6 days later. [5]
Namekian Dragon Balls are used 130 days later. [5~6]
Namekian Dragon Balls are used once more 130 days later. [6]
Artificial Humans arc
Future Trunks arrives 1 year later. [7]
Artificial Humans arrive almost 3 years later. [9~10]
The period of Cell's growth, Cell Game, & death takes 14 days. [9~10]
Gohan sees Future Trunks off 1 day later. [9~10]
Boo arc
The narrator states Gohan's age 7 years later. [16]
simtek34 wrote:Didn't Kai episode 99 say that he grew from 9 to 16?
Yes.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Feb 06, 2017 12:26 pm

No, I understand that the exact day in May is never mentioned. In fact, the only thing said in-series about his date of birth that I seem to recall is Gohan saying that it's NOT actually his birthday when his mom celebrates it in May. Which is why I said stuff like "either six or almost six". Also, Senior Highschool isn't "a Senior (12th grader) in highschool". It's grades ten, 11, and 12. As apposed to Junior Highschool, which is grades seven, eight, and nine. And your age chart seems to be the same as mine, only it fails to recognize that Gohan spent a year of life in the Room of Space and Time. I mentioned both ages in my chart. That's what I meant by "Gohan is 17, but as far as the normal society is concerned, he's only 16." So you're agreeing with me, despite trying to disagree. At least I think you're trying to disagree. I mean, you made a whole new chart to make some point...but your point (that he's 16) is the same point I made.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:07 pm

I wasn't disagreeing with anything. It's just expanded detail & answering other inquiries. If I were making a point, it's nothing more than citing when those statements were made. I thought my post was fairly neutral. And I'm familiar with the high school levels (I cooperated with them some time ago! :lol: ). I'm saying Gohan isn't a "senior student". From my reading, it seemed as if that was your belief, hence explaining that a second year Japanese student is akin to a junior American student. I see now that you're referring to Orange High School as a "senior high school", collectively (which isn't universal considering we didn't use that term in my neck of the woods, separate backgrounds).

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 6:51 am

I see. That was just me misinterpreting then. And from what I understand, Junior High School is 7~9, while Middle School is 6~8, and Senior High School is 10~12, where-as just "High School" is 9~12. Where I live, it could've been either, depending on the city. My mom's "High School" was actually 7~12, not slip up into Junior and Senior.

In any case, Gohan's 17, but legally 16. So what I wanna know is why he's only just starting Senior High School. Do why know if he's in tenth grade or 11th? I haven't watched that part since the my old Funimation VHS tapes in 2003.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:05 am

Chi-Chi never gave anyone a specific reason. If I may borrow anecdotes from my life, the high school I attended allowed home-schooled students to start as sophomores, juniors, or seniors depending on their skill level. Additionally, the Japanese education system requires successful testing to enter high school as a new student. Perhaps Gohan (effortlessly) challenged those factors, too?

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 7:50 am

The Teacher said that Gohan passed all his entrance exams.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:27 pm

All the confusion really stems from the dub stating Gohan was 11 by the time of the Cell Games and the video games listing that incarnation of him as "Teen Gohan." Also a little confusing is the fact that they celebrate his birthday during a filler episode of the Cell arc.

Going by the original manga and Japanese dialogue across the original and refreshed series, he's stated to be 16 immediately after it's said that 7 years have passed since the Cell Games.

Besides, if you do the math right, it's pretty clear.
First appearance: 4 (retconned from 3 in the original print)
Attack of the Saiyans-Namek: 5
Mecha Freeza: 6
Artificial Humans: 9
Cell Games: 9, 10 physically
Boo arc: 16, 17 physically
EoZ: 26, 27 physically