DBZ Kai TFC Episode 1 Color Corrected

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DHM211
Advanced Regular

DBZ Kai TFC Episode 1 Color Corrected

Post by DHM211 » Sat Jan 14, 2017 6:19 pm

So after watching episode 1 of Kai TFC on Toonami, I felt like everything was perfect, the dub acting, music, sound effects, sharpness of the picture, etc. However, when watching it on my computer, I noticed the sickly green tint that was also present in the Japanese version. So I did some slight editing, basing the color off of Kai 1.0, and heres some images of the result:
(Right is color corrected, left is the original.)
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

For more information, be sure to check out my Twitter and leave feedback!

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Re: DBZ Kai TFC Episode 1 Color Corrected

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:04 am

The difference is night and day. Can I ask what you ended up doing to fix the colours?
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:12 am

Someone yesterday actually uploaded the entire episode corrected:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]
That wasn't you was it?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:23 pm

NintendoBlaze53 wrote:The difference is night and day. Can I ask what you ended up doing to fix the colours?
Added a blue tint and slightly increased the brightness.
That wasn't you was it?
Mine has a watermark on the bottom so no it isn't mine.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:41 am

DHM211 wrote:
NintendoBlaze53 wrote:The difference is night and day. Can I ask what you ended up doing to fix the colours?
Added a blue tint and slightly increased the brightness.
That wasn't you was it?
Mine has a watermark on the bottom so no it isn't mine.
THAT'S IT?! I can do that in Vegas easy. Huh..... Guess I'll have to wait till Piccolo shows up to see how hard colour correcting is. With the Blu-Ray in April I might actually edit the footage after all for my personal use.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:01 am

While this IS better than what we're being given, and in April, what we'll be getting sold, it still isn't technically "correct." There are quite a few things that can't be done with a quick filter. If it was truly this easy, even FUNimation would have done this in the years they've had KFC (yeah, I'm saying it) while they waited to air it.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:59 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:While this IS better than what we're being given, and in April, what we'll be getting sold, it still isn't technically "correct." There are quite a few things that can't be done with a quick filter. If it was truly this easy, even FUNimation would have done this in the years they've had KFC (yeah, I'm saying it) while they waited to air it.
I doubt Funi would mess with Kai's footage. I'm not even sure if they're allowed to.

Keep in mind they also had the Dragon Box footage for a while before they released it yet no effort to remove the pink tint was ever attempted.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:01 pm

DHM211 wrote:I doubt Funi would mess with Kai's footage. I'm not even sure if they're allowed to.

Keep in mind they also had the Dragon Box footage for a while before they released it yet no effort to remove the pink tint was ever attempted.
Yeah, but they were allowed to screw with the master footage for the GT Dragon Box; that's the source for their GT DVDs. It's just that the singles were interlaced(Making the overall video quality worse), and the seasons were DVNR'd(Making it all blurry).

Despite the singles' only change being interlacing, the seasons were DVNR'd, and had both the NEPs and Japanese title cards removed.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:45 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:I doubt Funi would mess with Kai's footage. I'm not even sure if they're allowed to.

Yeah, but they were allowed to screw with the master footage for the GT Dragon Box; that's the source for their GT DVDs. It's just that the singles were interlaced(Making the overall video quality worse), and the seasons were DVNR'd(Making it all blurry).

Despite the singles' only change being interlacing, the seasons were DVNR'd, and had both the NEPs and Japanese title cards removed.
Funi wasn't marketing their releases of GT as Dragon Boxes, thats why they were able to mess with the video for the green bricks.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:36 pm

...how bad is the macroblocking in the GT singles? Macroblocking is a worse issue than interlacing I think.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:51 pm

Danfun64 wrote:...how bad is the macroblocking in the GT singles? Macroblocking is a worse issue than interlacing I think.
The GT singles are interlaced, all of Funimation's GT releases are interlaced. Macroblocking isn't an issue.
Retired.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:56 pm

I always thought the Green Bricks were progressive scan. Weird.

...are the Blue Bricks interlaced or progressive scan?
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:11 pm

Danfun64 wrote:...are the Blue Bricks interlaced or progressive scan?
Progressive. The encoding isn't great on them, but it's watchable.
Retired.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:48 pm

One of these days somebody needs to donate one of each of the R1 DBGT singles to thejeremymenace so he could use them with his Dragon Radar project for those NEP's the Green Bricks lack (I would love it if thejereemymenace somehow managed to allow his software to create hybrid audio using both the Green Bricks and the Singles (the former most of the time, the ladder for NEP audio and NEP subs...do the DBGT singles have Menza in 5.1, like the UUC singles have Johnson in 5.1?)
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:12 am

DHM211 wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:While this IS better than what we're being given, and in April, what we'll be getting sold, it still isn't technically "correct." There are quite a few things that can't be done with a quick filter. If it was truly this easy, even FUNimation would have done this in the years they've had KFC (yeah, I'm saying it) while they waited to air it.
I doubt Funi would mess with Kai's footage. I'm not even sure if they're allowed to.

They were allowed to mess with DBZ's footage for the Orange Bricks when they screwed with it in their "restoration" process. I've seen some snapshots on the DB Wiki (I go there when I'm taking a poo, it's relaxing) and it looks horrible. At least it does in this screenshot [spoiler]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... 1128005830[/spoiler]. The Blue Bricks were slightly zoomed and a tad blurry according to VegettoEX on Twitter. The DBZ Blu-rays have more blue than they should, and they're cropped.

I'm sure they can edit these things to some extent. I've never heard of any pink tint for Dragon Boxes, but this just begs the question: why do these companies doing these "corrections" dick with the colors? From other comments in the thread, it seems like every release has a different blunder, with KFC having the worst because of the green tint. Can't anyone just not f--- with the footage? :|

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:54 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:The Blue Bricks were slightly zoomed and a tad blurry according to VegettoEX on Twitter. The DBZ Blu-rays have more blue than they should, and they're cropped.
I would have no qualms with the Blue Bricks if the compression had been handled a little better. They did a fine job at touching them up 9 times out of ten. The Blu-rays, on the other hand, have far more problems than you mentioned. I've been talking about them pretty often lately, so I won't highlight every last problem, but they're just barely better than the Orange Bricks.
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:I'm sure they can edit these things to some extent. I've never heard of any pink tint for Dragon Boxes, but this just begs the question: why do these companies doing these "corrections" dick with the colors? From other comments in the thread, it seems like every release has a different blunder, with KFC having the worst because of the green tint. Can't anyone just not f--- with the footage? :|
The Dragon Boxes are tinted because of the aged film. It's noticeable enough to warrant correction, and Kai 1.0 did a great job at it. Anyway... the answer as to why they dick around with the footage is simple. The source is old, it's has wear and tear, which includes tearing in the film, morphed colors. Need I go further? They correct the footage because age has degraded it.

The thing is, this isn't hard to do. The reason that almost every release has some fantastical downfall isn't because correcting the footage is a bad idea, it's because the people in charge seem to have no idea what they're doing. It's as if Funimation and Toei intentionally scouted the worst possible candidates for directing their remastering processes just for the hell of it. However, the Dragon Boxes and Funimation's short-lived Level Sets are solid proof that they can do it well when they don't use the most incompetent people and processes humanly possible.
Retired.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:59 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: They were allowed to mess with DBZ's footage for the Orange Bricks when they screwed with it in their "restoration" process. I've seen some snapshots on the DB Wiki (I go there when I'm taking a poo, it's relaxing) and it looks horrible. At least it does in this screenshot [spoiler]http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/dra ... 1128005830[/spoiler]. The Blue Bricks were slightly zoomed and a tad blurry according to VegettoEX on Twitter. The DBZ Blu-rays have more blue than they should, and they're cropped.
My point was I doubt Funi would "touch up" a remastered product. Hell, I doubt Toei would even let them do it because it could tarnish their remastered products reputation. Sure, Kai TFC has a little bit of a green tint, but why stop there? Maybe the guys at Funi who are touching up the green tint think the footage could use a little more saturation also, maybe even some more contrast. Maybe the footage doesn't look smooth enough. This exact same scenario could be applied if Funi were to go and correct the Dragon Boxes. These are Toeis remasters, with Toeis reputation. If Funimation messes with their source material and produces orange bricks, everyone knows its them whom messed up the product. If they fuck with Kai and mess up, most people would blame Toei, and I'm sure Toei doesn't want that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:28 pm

You guys are also missing the fact that it would be time consuming for FUNi, they're pretty busy at the moment with all their simuldubs and not to mention they have to dub Super now too (granted that is happening at OT5000), remember TFC is 69 episodes long too, do not think they can afforf to waste resources doing that, especially when they don't have too. It is different when they plan to remaster something beforehand, and their goal here is to get Kai out quick.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:36 pm

DHM211 wrote:My point was I doubt Funi would "touch up" a remastered product. Hell, I doubt Toei would even let them do it because it could tarnish their remastered products reputation. Sure, Kai TFC has a little bit of a green tint, but why stop there? Maybe the guys at Funi who are touching up the green tint think the footage could use a little more saturation also, maybe even some more contrast. Maybe the footage doesn't look smooth enough. This exact same scenario could be applied if Funi were to go and correct the Dragon Boxes. These are Toeis remasters, with Toeis reputation. If Funimation messes with their source material and produces orange bricks, everyone knows its them whom messed up the product. If they fuck with Kai and mess up, most people would blame Toei, and I'm sure Toei doesn't want that.
Funimation probably wouldn't bother tampering with an already remasterd product either way, but even if it weren't allowed, it wouldn't be because of their reputation. It's easy to forget that the majority of fans are not only fine with it, but enjoy what Funimation did to the footage. This is not only here, by the way. I encourage you to jump over and read reviews on non-western sites, including Amazon Japan. Reactions are largely positive.
Retired.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:11 am

^ Most of the issues we have with FUNi releases aren't terrible or blatantly noticeable. But KFC's green tint makes the image look worse, as if it were a medium quality TV rip. It does to me, at least.