Dragon Ball Kai Final Chapters Opening and Ending shortened

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gian2408

Dragon Ball Kai Final Chapters Opening and Ending shortened

Post by Gian2408 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:21 am

I understand I'm probably speaking to a majority sub-fan audience here, but hear me out. I've really been enjoying the Dragon Ball Kai the Final Chapters in English - possibly more than Dragon Ball Super, and that is something that pains me to say. I've enjoyed everything about it from the dialogue to even the background music which I have heard plenty of criticism for. The main thing that has been bothering me is the fact that the opening and endings have been shortened substantially, and it really takes away from two beautiful songs.

Was this a decision on the part of Toei Animation or Funimation? I've also come across the "longer versions", but the opening and ending are 1:22 and 1:02 seconds respectively. Are there full versions out there for these songs?

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Dragon Ball Kai Final Chapters Opening and Ending shortened

Post by simtek34 » Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:29 am

They need commercials. And the 1:22 and 1:02 ones are the longest versions that exist.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 17, 2017 2:49 pm

There is a post elsewhere with someone mentioning having asked Juneur on Twitter if a longer version of the ending existed, with the answer being that no, one does not.

While we don't have an answer for the opening, I'll go out on a limb and assume the same thing for that - they probably just produced a TV-sized version.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:31 pm

I just want to say - despite all the deserved criticisms levelled at FUNi's dub, there are a ton of folks here who are nostalgic for the old dub. Not so much bad scripting & music replacements, but hearing DB in English in general. People who "make an exception" to ignoring dubs, simply because the old dub had such a wide reach (beyond even anime fans). While the silent majority here, in all likelihood, casually prefer subs, the power of marketing/nostalgia/groupthink doesn't magically elude Kanzenshuu members. This can generally be seen with the lack of understanding among the DB community on why/how there are a ton of dubs 7 all so inconsistent - it is not Kanzenshuu or really anyone's calling to discuss these things in general, outside of their influence - possibly negative influence - on the conversation at large. DB's dub is seen as more of a historical artifact & currently more of a guilty pleasure, than as, say, a work of art. But, for a dub, it is certainly popular. Not as normalized as it is in general audiences, but it's definitely taken seriously by many on here. There are a substantial amount of fans here who don't generally watch dubs, that partake in keeping up with the recent dubs. I occasionally have called it hypocritical, but then again, I love the Yugioh dub voices out of nostalgia as well, & that, too isn't a dub that I generally respect.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:56 pm

huzaifa_ahmed wrote:I just want to say - despite all the deserved criticisms levelled at FUNi's dub, there are a ton of folks here who are nostalgic for the old dub. Not so much bad scripting & music replacements, but hearing DB in English in general. People who "make an exception" to ignoring dubs, simply because the old dub had such a wide reach (beyond even anime fans). While the silent majority here, in all likelihood, casually prefer subs, the power of marketing/nostalgia/groupthink doesn't magically elude Kanzenshuu members. This can generally be seen with the lack of understanding among the DB community on why/how there are a ton of dubs 7 all so inconsistent - it is not Kanzenshuu or really anyone's calling to discuss these things in general, outside of their influence - possibly negative influence - on the conversation at large. DB's dub is seen as more of a historical artifact & currently more of a guilty pleasure, than as, say, a work of art. But, for a dub, it is certainly popular. Not as normalized as it is in general audiences, but it's definitely taken seriously by many on here. There are a substantial amount of fans here who don't generally watch dubs, that partake in keeping up with the recent dubs. I occasionally have called it hypocritical, but then again, I love the Yugioh dub voices out of nostalgia as well, & that, too isn't a dub that I generally respect.
Um, this isn't the thread for the dub
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:23 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Um, this isn't the thread for the dub
OP mentioned that this place was a majority sub-fan forum. i was going into detail as to why i felt that it wasn't.