"Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Saiyan Swagger
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters" Parts DVD/Blu-ray Thread

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Thu May 25, 2017 6:22 am

Damn, Part 2 is already out?? Here in Australia we're still waiting for Madman to release Part 1 and that ain't happening until early June. If region lock wasn't a thing I would've bought the Blu-rays straight off of Amazon US because I'm just that impatient.

dbret12

Post by dbret12 » Sat May 27, 2017 1:43 am

Just bought Parts 1 and 2 on Blu-ray on Amazon and preordered Part 3. Looking forward to watching the dub.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Sat May 27, 2017 5:47 am

I can hear a bit of Semi-Perfect Cell in Super Buu. BUT THOSE SCREAMS ARE SO HARDCORE.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed May 31, 2017 12:17 am

Man, Kai TFC's remastering is so odd. I've already been aware of some color artifacts that others have pointed out caused by careless color correction, but there are times where colors will bleed over areas they shouldn't:
In the Kai shot, Vegeta's skin is overlapping his shirt, whereas in Z the shirt's completely blue.

It's like they're editing each color individually, but they aren't selecting it properly, so the colors around the edges are being affected as well. It's so easy to avoid doing this. :| I also am completely confused why it seems that they color corrected each scene individually instead of just getting the colors right for an entire episode all at once. It was so much unnecessary work, and it only hurts the product by making the colors inconsistent throughout each episode.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

gameleon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by gameleon » Wed May 31, 2017 5:45 pm

Someone uploaded a scene with Super Buu from the Final Chapters. It seems the eye correction made it onto the English DVD as well?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk3JRVrEL-w

Edit: Nvm. Description says the Japanese broadcast video was added to the Final Chapter audio.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:49 pm

Just saw this on FUNi's Facebook page earlier. Sometimes I think they have too much time on their hands. This is one of those times. :P

https://www.facebook.com/funimation/vid ... 406658481/

(Figured this fit more in a thread about the DVD/Bluray releases itself, since it's advertising those, than it did about the dub itself).
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:33 pm

Gyt Kaliba wrote:Just saw this on FUNi's Facebook page earlier. Sometimes I think they have too much time on their hands. This is one of those times. :P

https://www.facebook.com/funimation/vid ... 406658481/

(Figured this fit more in a thread about the DVD/Bluray releases itself, since it's advertising those, than it did about the dub itself).
That was...interesting. I want to reach through the screen and grab that Part 3 out of his hand. :D

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:05 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Man, Kai TFC's remastering is so odd. I've already been aware of some color artifacts that others have pointed out caused by careless color correction, but there are times where colors will bleed over areas they shouldn't:
In the Kai shot, Vegeta's skin is overlapping his shirt, whereas in Z the shirt's completely blue.

It's like they're editing each color individually, but they aren't selecting it properly, so the colors around the edges are being affected as well. It's so easy to avoid doing this. :| I also am completely confused why it seems that they color corrected each scene individually instead of just getting the colors right for an entire episode all at once. It was so much unnecessary work, and it only hurts the product by making the colors inconsistent throughout each episode.
Are you referring to this?

That's there in both images. It's just fractionally harder to see due to the poorer dark detail of the Dragon Box.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:07 pm

In the Kai shot, it's skin colored, but in the Dragon Box footage, it looks blue like the rest of his shirt (though in that area it's the lighter shade of blue from the non-shaded areas of his shirt).

You can see that skin colored edge goes up the entirety of his sleeve in the Kai shot, whereas it's solid blue in the Dragon Box footage.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:12 pm

It's not skin coloured, but yeah, it's not blue. That doesn't look like a colour correction issue to me though, since that's not really how the process works. If I had to hazard a guess, it'd be a result of the grain reduction interpolating the colours poorly between the black line edge and the blue. If you sample the colours, it's grey, which supports that theory.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:42 pm

Ajay wrote:It's not skin coloured, but yeah, it's not blue. That doesn't look like a colour correction issue to me though, since that's not really how the process works. If I had to hazard a guess, it'd be a result of the grain reduction interpolating the colours poorly between the black line edge and the blue. If you sample the colours, it's grey, which supports that theory.
That would make sense, though it does have a bit of an orange tint to it.

I guess that also explains the sometimes "bleeding" colors, like here:
Yes, there's a line of his medium shade of hair color on his hairline even in the Dragon Boxes, but in Kai it looks like it's bleeding through to his skin. I guess the noise reduction is just smearing it, but it makes it look like VHS color bleed. Otherwise though, it's obvious how much more crisp and defined the line art is in Kai compared to the Dragon Boxes, so the remastering is a very mixed bag.

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:22 pm

My copy of Part 3 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Can't wait to be able to watch Kai from beginning to end.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:49 pm

The Best Commercial Of All Time! Saiyaman Says So!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGmvHf1nYj0

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:53 pm

Ha ha that promo is hilarious
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:21 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Ha ha that promo is hilarious
Your profile pic being Sniper King, yet your username being "GreatSaiyaJeff"...it disturbs me.
But, yeah, it's a great promo!
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:20 am

simtek34 wrote:The Best Commercial Of All Time! Saiyaman Says So!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGmvHf1nYj0
Does anybody else want a Great Saiyaman movie now (Not counting that Super Episode)?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Regular — 02/05/2017

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:30 pm

Scsigs wrote:
GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:Ha ha that promo is hilarious
Your profile pic being Sniper King, yet your username being "GreatSaiyaJeff"...it disturbs me.
But, yeah, it's a great promo!
Sniper King is awesome ha ha
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

rs_chaosmaster
Regular

Post by rs_chaosmaster » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:28 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:My copy of Part 3 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Can't wait to be able to watch Kai from beginning to end.
Hey man can you tell me if Pan is still the same voice actress as Z?

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:31 pm

Freeza Soldier #156 wrote:My copy of Part 3 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow. Can't wait to be able to watch Kai from beginning to end.
Are you going to upload clips of the Cell voice and "Let it Burn"?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Regular — 02/05/2017

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 7:52 pm

simtek34 wrote:
Are you going to upload clips of the Cell voice and "Let it Burn"?
I'm working right now. I'll definitely try to do it later.