Why does 18 have two voice actresses?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: Why does 18 have two voice actresses?

Post by matt0044 » Fri May 05, 2017 11:35 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:Apparently McCoy is in The Final Chapters...so.....

The vocal inconsistency with English DBZ dubs can be really annoying.
To be honest, I thought they were doing something where they kept Colleen for Kai because she already started it, and put McCoy on for BoG and Super for the dub nostalgia they were marketing. McCoy in TFC breaks my theory.
Really... if she had to return, then they could've had McCoy return in Kai as 18 and hand wave it as her growing into more of an adult. Maybe have her emulate Clinkenbeard's performance.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat May 06, 2017 12:40 am

matt0044 wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:Apparently McCoy is in The Final Chapters...so.....

The vocal inconsistency with English DBZ dubs can be really annoying.
To be honest, I thought they were doing something where they kept Colleen for Kai because she already started it, and put McCoy on for BoG and Super for the dub nostalgia they were marketing. McCoy in TFC breaks my theory.
Really... if she had to return, then they could've had McCoy return in Kai as 18 and hand wave it as her growing into more of an adult. Maybe have her emulate Clinkenbeard's performance.
They could have done that if McCoy was there from the start of TFC, and did exactly that, adjust her pitch to at least sound like Colleen, but at best she probably wasn't around for when they recorded it. Though they made it seem as if Colleen was intended to replace McCoy entirely from Kai onward.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Sat May 06, 2017 4:56 pm

In TFC Oolong went back to being voiced by Brad Jackson.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sat May 06, 2017 7:08 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:In TFC Oolong went back to being voiced by Brad Jackson.
That's... a bit more minor if a bit strange they they'd bother.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Tue May 09, 2017 12:03 am

matt0044 wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:In TFC Oolong went back to being voiced by Brad Jackson.
That's... a bit more minor if a bit strange they they'd bother.

I don't think its that strange really. Jackson apparently wasn't available when they initially did the Kai dub, so they brought in Bryan Massey as a soundalike. After Jackson came back though, there wasn't much of a reason to hold on to the soundalike.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue May 09, 2017 2:50 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:
matt0044 wrote:That's kind of inconsistent.
Welcome to English-dubbed Dragon Ball.
Don't really see the meaning of this comment. So the Japanese version has remained 100% consistent with not even a single character having their voice changed since the series started in 1986?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue May 09, 2017 4:27 am

Valerius Dover wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:
matt0044 wrote:That's kind of inconsistent.
Welcome to English-dubbed Dragon Ball.
Don't really see the meaning of this comment. So the Japanese version has remained 100% consistent with not even a single character having their voice changed since the series started in 1986?
No, but they've been a ton more consistent than the English dubs, with the only notable cast changes during original series' production to my knowledge that weren't the direct result of the original actors passing away being Chichi, from Mayumi Shou to Naoko Watanabe, and Fortuneteller Baba, from Junpei Takiguchi to Mayumi Tanaka (if I missed any of that info wrong or left out another recasting please correct me). Recasts from Z to Kai did happen, but the main cast still stayed intact and the majority of recasts to my knowledge were either for extras or due to the original actors passing away before Kai was a thing or even during Kai's production. Of course, there are some puzzling recasts (such as many of Freeza's lackeys including the whole Ginyu Force), but other than that the cast has been pretty consistent.

On the English side of things, though, it's a bit more confusing. There was the Harmony Gold dub that never took off; the Ocean cast dub which led into the in-house Funimation cast dub; the continuation of the Ocean cast dub for the Canadian and European markets that had plenty of cast changes from the original Ocean cast dub initially and other cast changes later on; the fact that said continuation didn't consistently air in some areas since they would switch between the in-house Funi cast and the Ocean cast; the fact that said markets never had an Ocean cast dub for the stretch of episodes roughly between when Goku started his fight with the Ginyus and Trunks showing up and consequently aired the in-house Funi material, which meant that these markets could hear one of FOUR different Gokus on any given day depending on what story arc they were on and which cast they decided to use that day; the THREE different dubs of Z Movie 3 that were produced for the US alone (four if you count the in-house Funi dub with Japanese music as a separate dub); the hilariously bad AB Groupe dubs of the movies for the European market, not using the Ocean cast dubs of Movies 1 through 3 for consistency, but producing new dubs in the infamous Big Green style; the Blue Water dub of the original DB and GT that aired for the Canadian audiences, again not reusing the Ocean cast dub for episodes 1 through 13, which brings us to THREE separate English dubs for the episodes if you can find if you're know where to look and FOUR for the first five episodes if you include what Harmony Gold supposedly completed; the also hilariously bad Malaysian English dubs of the movies; the rare Creative Products Corp. dub that combines Z Movies 5 and 6 into one movie which may or may not have been a compliment to a full TV series dub for DB and the start of Z, meaning that the original 13 episodes of DB may have FOUR English dubs (FIVE for the first five) if this rumor is true; actually, make that FIVE for the first thirteen episodes (SIX for the first five) if the rumored Animax dub of the original DB is real; and that doesn't include other random oddities that I'm surely leaving out. This also doesn't address the oddities within the dubs themselves, especially when it comes to the in-house Funi dub of Z and its constant revisions with each release and the patchwork nature it has. Plus, I may have gotten some of these facts wrong because the history behind this stuff is so incredibly complicated (anybody please feel free to correct me!). Sure, we've gotten some relative consistency in recent years with Kai through Super, but even that's complicated by things like the ghost that is Kai's Ocean dub and the Bang Zoom dub of Super. Every time the English dub seems to be reaching consistency, something comes along and ruins it.

These examples show that inconsistency is pretty much par for the course when it comes to the English dubs of Dragon Ball, much moreso than the Japanese version. The examples I listed above show that. At least if you watch in Japanese you're getting pretty much the same players in the main cast (Nozawa, Horikawa, Furukawa, ect.), so there's a consistent sound there. There is no Canadian cast that records an alternate Japanese version of DB. The closest thing they've got is the Japanese dub of Evolution, which uses different actors for the characters than their anime counterparts, but that hardly counts in my eyes since it's such a derivative product. In English, however, the cast you hear and apply to the characters in your mind depends factors such as which region you come from or when and how you watched the show. A guy in the UK who watched the show growing up could have had the same or a different experience than I did as a kid seeing Gohan go SSJ2 for the first time, all depending on when he saw the episode. That's pretty amazing and baffling to think about. While it is true that things have mostly standardized today to the in-house Funimation cast, there's always weird oddities with the English language production this franchise that throw a wrench into that standard. Again, even today we have an alternate English dub of Super produced exclusively for the Southeast Asian market despite the fact that they still have the in-house Funimation cast versions of Z and/or Kai airing on the same channel. With all that in mind, maybe having a switch in actors for 18 from Funi Kai to Funi Super isn't so bad in the grand scheme of things. At least the current series as dubbed by Funimation's in-house cast are internally consistent for the most part, aside from Linda Young's Freeza laugh in Kai episode 1 and Brad Jackson coming back as Oolong in The Final Chapters. At any rate, I hope I got my point across. I apologize if I come off as rambling!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue May 09, 2017 4:44 am

Pretty informative, actually, so don't worry about rambling. :D

I often tend to forget the other versions exist. I get the point about the other dubs and stuff, but I believe the discussion was regarding Funimation's in-house work specifically. They haven't really been any more or less consistent than the Japanese version. It depends on the character. Some characters who have been recast in the Japanese version have stayed the same in the dub, and vice versa. True, there are other versions out there, but if you watch what is on the DVDs and Blu Rays that are still in print, you'll still get a mostly consistent experience.

And going from Z to Super would feel weird. Going from Kai to Super feels more natural. 18 and Trunks aside, the voices stay the same, even the music stays the same. If you went from Z to Super, the performances would feel totally different, too.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Tue May 09, 2017 11:53 am

Valerius Dover wrote:And going from Z to Super would feel weird. Going from Kai to Super feels more natural. 18 and Trunks aside, the voices stay the same, even the music stays the same. If you went from Z to Super, the performances would feel totally different, too.
I agree with you 100% there. I was just trying to explain what I thought theoriginalbilis meant with his comment, since one or two actor changes between series is a drop in the bucket compared to the complicated and messy history of the series' various English language versions. You are right in saying that focusing on Funimation's current home releases helps to mitigate that, but Dragon Ball is still quite the odd duck when it comes to English dubs. With that in mind, switching from Clinkenbeard to McCoy from Kai to Super is hardly the the most weird or inconsistent thing to happen in a DB dub, even if you just talk about those produced by Funimation.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube