Why does 18 have two voice actresses?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Why does 18 have two voice actresses?

Post by matt0044 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:20 am

Like Colleen and Merdith are both good in their own ways but you'd think the dub staff would stick to one or the other.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Why does 18 have two voice actresses?

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:28 am

Meredith McCoy wasn't available when Kai was being recorded, but she's back now and she's here to stay.
Retired.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:23 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Meredith McCoy wasn't available when Kai was being recorded, but she's back now and she's here to stay.
That's kind of inconsistent.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:28 pm

matt0044 wrote:That's kind of inconsistent.
Welcome to English-dubbed Dragon Ball.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

SaintEvolution
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaintEvolution » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:01 am

theoriginalbilis wrote:
That is not exclusive of the english dubs. Most of the dubs around the world had voice replacements in the same series in some moment.

mecha3000
Regular

Post by mecha3000 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 11:53 am

matt0044 wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:Meredith McCoy wasn't available when Kai was being recorded, but she's back now and she's here to stay.
It's not as inconsistent as you think. For all of Z and GT, Meredith voiced 18. It's just for Kai that she got a recast because she was unavailable. But if you want consistency, just watch: Dragon Ball Z to Dragon Ball Super because Meredith voices 18 in the original Z. I mean, sure you'll have to deal with a less quality dub than Kai - But unlike most people on here: The Z dub (at least the later parts of it) is not THAT bad. There's still some quality value to it.

Also, certain voice actors in the original version also got recast so it's not as uncommon as you think. However, in terms of all the English Kid Gokus we have had (Saffron, Nadolny, and Colleen) - Yeah, that's really inconsistent.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Jan 25, 2017 3:55 pm

Apparently McCoy is in The Final Chapters...so.....

The vocal inconsistency with English DBZ dubs can be really annoying.
Last edited by Danfun64 on Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Wed Jan 25, 2017 4:01 pm

Danfun64 wrote:Apparently McCoy is in The Final Chapters...so.....

Funimation's casting announcement said it's still Colleen in Final Chapters.(The link i had died, but I remember it clearly.)

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:05 am

So many years have passed since original DBZ Funimation voices, don't be surprised if a few voice actress/actors are either not available or no longer interested. Personally I prefer the original but I'll take whatever they can provide. I was okay with Kai for the most part (only thing difficult accepting was Gohan's new voice actor/actress LOL), but I hope they do a good job with the Buu Saga Kai funimation. (JP so far is doing a AA+ job on this... hope US follows suit with similar performance).
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:03 am

mecha3000 wrote:
matt0044 wrote:
It's not as inconsistent as you think. For all of Z and GT, Meredith voiced 18. It's just for Kai that she got a recast because she was unavailable. But if you want consistency, just watch: Dragon Ball Z to Dragon Ball Super because Meredith voices 18 in the original Z. I mean, sure you'll have to deal with a less quality dub than Kai - But unlike most people on here: The Z dub (at least the later parts of it) is not THAT bad. There's still some quality value to it.
Doing that would give you a consistent 18, but an inconsistent Frieza (and I'd say Frieza had the more significant change).

Personally I wish they'd have Meredith redub Colleen's lines in Kai now that she's back, like how they had certain characters redubbed in the orange bricks. Certainly they'll have a "definitive edition box set" release of all of DBZ Kai at some point, so that would be the opportune time to do it.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:11 am

That would be totally unnecessary. Cast changes are a thing that happens, no sense in obsessing over the consistency of it.
Retired.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:48 pm

SaintEvolution wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:
That is not exclusive of the english dubs. Most of the dubs around the world had voice replacements in the same series in some moment.
For that matter, the original Japanese version has had its fair share of replacements over the years.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jan 30, 2017 1:56 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:

Funimation's casting announcement said it's still Colleen in Final Chapters.(The link i had died, but I remember it clearly.)
Yeah I am pretty sure I read that too. It makes sense considering the dub of TFC started in 2013, McCoy came back for BoG which FUNi dubbed in 2014.

huzaifa_ahmed
Regular

Post by huzaifa_ahmed » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:30 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
SaintEvolution wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:
For that matter, the original Japanese version has had its fair share of replacements over the years.
I typed something longer out earlier, but I'll just say, simply put, that generally speaking, the owner of the show is much more accountable for these things, & DB dub issues are really on Toei, who have a pattern of both negligent & also heavily localized adaptations of their work (as opposed to investing in good dubs - which admittedly are a minority interest). The fact that they allowed whoever was distributing their stuff to use randoms, & especially the lack of translations, shows a clear lack of care about the final product. Domestically, they put a ton of money into the VO - performances which, btw, would for a very long time, not really be heard by most outside Japan. I'm not sure how other countries were treated, it'd be a nice thing to have concrete/synthesized info somewhere.

For actor replacements, they are generally needed even in domestic productions, Toei did as well as say WB in keeping their domestic casts straight (though they woefully lag behind in international cast consistency), I think the only replacements are Suzuoki, Utsumi, & Gori, & mostly just with VAs who are already in the cast (Midorikawa, Otomo), although there are a few newer VAs, & Shozo Iizuka is replaced as Nappa despite being still alive (he's older so i get it).

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Thu Feb 02, 2017 6:15 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:

Well, I think McCoy replacing Clinkenbeard for the Buu Saga onwards would've made enough sense with the Seven year time skip, growing up from a young adult.

That said, I feel like I'm in the minority for liking Colleen as #18 in terms of how she emotes a whole lot better than Meridith had. Not that the latter hasn't improved but I like how the former gives a more emotional performance. God knows how awkward the switch-back must've been. XD

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:36 pm

Uh, Colleen Clinkenbeard did come back as Android 18, right? They said she would in the casting announcement. For Kai: TFC, not for Super.
Caulifla best girl! :)

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:35 am

Right, she worked on Dragon Ball Z Kai The Final Chapters as No. 18. Her absence relates to Dragon Ball Super & the timing of each title's recording dates.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:18 pm

You know who could've been a better replacement for Meredith McCoy? Jamie Marchi.
Caulifla best girl! :)

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:52 am

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:You know who could've been a better replacement for Meredith McCoy? Jamie Marchi.
No, she's be too... valley girl with her Anarchy Panty from P&SwG. Colleen really gets 18's attitude as well as her youth.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed May 03, 2017 11:46 pm

To be honest, I thought they were doing something where they kept Colleen for Kai because she already started it, and put McCoy on for BoG and Super for the dub nostalgia they were marketing. McCoy in TFC breaks my theory.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.