Best Version of 16:9 DBZ Kai.

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Best Version of 16:9 DBZ Kai.

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:58 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:
DHM211 wrote:You can't just zoom in on 4:3 Kai and expect it to look nearly as good as Toei's cropping. In addition to not getting the extra 5% of footage on the sides of the remastered footage, some scenes were specifically redrawn for the Fuji TV/ Japanese DVD version.

That actually looks pretty nice. It would've been cool to own a version with shots like those on Blu-ray, but I wouldn't want the rest of it cropped, and it would be distracting to have the aspect ratio changing back and forth.

What?! The Blu Rays weren't cropped the same way the TV broadcast was?! That's shocking.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:28 am

sangofe wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:
DHM211 wrote:You can't just zoom in on 4:3 Kai and expect it to look nearly as good as Toei's cropping. In addition to not getting the extra 5% of footage on the sides of the remastered footage, some scenes were specifically redrawn for the Fuji TV/ Japanese DVD version.

That actually looks pretty nice. It would've been cool to own a version with shots like those on Blu-ray, but I wouldn't want the rest of it cropped, and it would be distracting to have the aspect ratio changing back and forth.

What?! The Blu Rays weren't cropped the same way the TV broadcast was?! That's shocking.
Yep! The Japanese Blu-rays as well as the Funi DVD/BRs were left in 4:3
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:29 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Footlong Shoe wrote:

Yep! The Japanese Blu-rays as well as the Funi DVD/BRs were left in 4:3

Right... I actually knew that. Had a brain fart there...

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Why did Toei have TFC cropped from the start if they were not intending it to air on TV? Surely it would have been less time consuming to leave it in 4x3?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:51 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Why did Toei have TFC cropped from the start if they were not intending it to air on TV? Surely it would have been less time consuming to leave it in 4x3?
The whole TFC project is very Funimation-esque in its handling of visual restoration. My guess is that they were trying to mimic Funimation's releases, since they were mainly appealing to the international market anyway.
Retired.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:35 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Why did Toei have TFC cropped from the start if they were not intending it to air on TV? Surely it would have been less time consuming to leave it in 4x3?
The whole TFC project is very Funimation-esque in its handling of visual restoration. My guess is that they were trying to mimic Funimation's releases, since they were mainly appealing to the international market anyway.
Also easier/cheaper to remaster something when you don't have to paint over tape on the top and bottom of the frame.