Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

Gogito
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Gogito » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:40 pm

I liked her when she did Little Gohan during the beginning of the Saiyan Saga. And honestly she's grown on me a lot through Xenoverse. I think she did the younger Gohan better but Stephanie Nadolny is definitely my favourite Teen Gohan.

User avatar
Arian
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 251
Joined: Thu Feb 06, 2014 4:52 pm
Location: Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Arian » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:57 pm

I didn't like her performances as Goku or Gohan at all. Didn't sit well with me.

She is good at voicing women characters as opposed to boys or men.
Was the hate for Kai largely unjustified?

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:It's an edited, cynically produced, cheap recut with a poorly utilized ancient score and awful scene recreations that later got traded in for a weird green tint.

The story of Kai's production is far more interesting than the actual product.

User avatar
Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior
Posts: 19526
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:20 pm
Location: A temple on a giant tree

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Lord Beerus » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:09 pm

Colleen captures the concept young Gohan much better than Nadolny did, with much less rasp and more appropriately pitch tone of voice.

Saffron Henderson is still, however, my favorite Kid Goku, bar none. Colleen's Kid Goku still has room for improvement but it's a step in the right direction.

As far as her take on Android 18 goes, I wanted to give Colleen the benefit of the doubt but after hearing McCoy in BOG and Xenoverse, I'm really glad that McCoy still (occasionally) voices. #18. Maybe it's just nostalgia affecting me on that one. I guess I just have a soft spot Meredith McCoy's #18. :P

User avatar
BlueBasilisk
I Live Here
Posts: 2906
Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:58 am

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby BlueBasilisk » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:44 pm

I like Colleen's Gohan but Nadolny will always be Kid Goku to me. Although I am kinda fond of Ceyli Delgadillo's raspy Kid Goku from Sleeping Princess and Mystical Adventure!

User avatar
OmegaRockman
Regular
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby OmegaRockman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:23 pm

I absolutely love her. I remember reading that she was replacing Nadolny back in 2010 and being very excited. I am kind of a fanboy for her work, though, so I admit my bias. I also like her Goku in DB movie 1, but I wish she had a better script than the recycled one from edited Ocean cast dub. A more accurate series dub would probably give her a better script to work with and a chance to grow into the character. I'm sure she'd be a fine kid Goku if she were given a proper chance.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1016
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2015 3:29 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Danfun64 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:40 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:I also like her Goku in DB movie 1, but I wish she had a better script than the recycled one from edited Ocean cast dub

Err...

Original Japanese --> Harmony Gold 80s --> Funimation/Ocean/BLT 95(?) --> Funimation 2010. Sure, Ocean made minor changes to the script, but the script didn't originate from them...

Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

User avatar
IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 194
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby IAmTheMilkMan » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:40 pm

She's faaaaaantastic. Love her as Gohan and Android 18 alike. So far, I think she works better for Gohan than Goku (based on what little of her Goku I have seen), but I'll take her over Nadolny any day. My favorite childhood Goku is still Saffron Henderson, but I would be ecstatic to get a redub of Dragon Ball with Colleen in the role of Goku.

As for 18, I never liked McCoy in the role and I was, quite possibly, even more excited to hear Colleen take over the reins on that one. Her voice is much more like what I have in mind when I think of how 18 should sound, and she's a terrific actress. That said, McCoy seems to have gotten better lately (much like the rest of the cast) and I don't mind her as much anymore when I hear her in the new films and Super, but I still haven't heard enough to make a proper judgement.
Last edited by IAmTheMilkMan on Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Jinzoningen MULE » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:43 pm

I love here as a VA, I've enjoyed her roles as far back as I can find her performing. However, I didn't like many of her roles in DB.
Retired.

User avatar
OmegaRockman
Regular
Posts: 612
Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby OmegaRockman » Fri Apr 21, 2017 9:46 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
OmegaRockman wrote:I also like her Goku in DB movie 1, but I wish she had a better script than the recycled one from edited Ocean cast dub

Err...

Original Japanese --> Harmony Gold 80s --> Funimation/Ocean/BLT 95(?) --> Funimation 2010. Sure, Ocean made minor changes to the script, but the script didn't originate from them...


Ah, my bad. Thank you for correcting me.

Gogito
Newbie
Posts: 14
Joined: Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:25 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Gogito » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:25 pm

I definitely feel for each era of Gohan these would be my opinions:
Toddler Gohan: Nozawa>Clinkenbeard>Henderson>Nadolny
Saiyan Saga Gohan: Henderson>Nadolny>Nozawa>Clinkenbeard
Namek-Pre ROSAT Gohan: Nozawa>Nadolny>Henderson>Clinkenbeard
Teen Gohan: Nadolny>Nozawa>Clinkenbeard>Henderson (Best SSJ2 scream is hands down Nozawa though)

User avatar
Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:50 am

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Kaio_Krazy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:06 am

I'm very nostalgic for Nadolny's voice, but I think Clinkenbeard is criminally underrated as Gohan, she does a fantastic job. Not as big on her playing kid Goku, but I think that's more because we've only heard her in a couple games, one movie, and a handful of short scenes in Kai.

User avatar
The Patrolman
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 273
Joined: Sun Oct 04, 2015 5:46 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby The Patrolman » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:01 pm

I hate her Young Gohan voice so much. I know people are going to say that I'm being nostalgic over Nadolny but to me she improved over the years especially in redubbed Saiyan. People say Clinkenbeard made Gohan sound cute and I don't see it at all. Her screams when Gohan went SSJ2 was laughably bad. No emotions came out of that scream
The Last Jedi is a terrible movie

User avatar
Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 71
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:50 am

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Kaio_Krazy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:10 am

The Patrolman wrote:I hate her Young Gohan voice so much. I know people are going to say that I'm being nostalgic over Nadolny but to me she improved over the years especially in redubbed Saiyan. People say Clinkenbeard made Gohan sound cute and I don't see it at all. Her screams when Gohan went SSJ2 was laughably bad. No emotions came out of that scream

"In your opinion" being the (implied) operative phrase here, because my opinion is pretty much the exact opposite.

User avatar
TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 131
Joined: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:37 am
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby TheQuazz » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:10 am

Why are people still calling Cell Games Gohan "Teen" Gohan?
Anyway, I think she's great as Gohan throughout all stages up until he gets mad in the Cell games. Something about her gruff voice seems a bit too forced for me. But I'd take her SSJ2 Gohan any day of the week over Nadoly's raspy as all hell voice she was doing for him at that time.

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1142
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby matt0044 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:51 am

TheQuazz wrote:Why are people still calling Cell Games Gohan "Teen" Gohan?
Anyway, I think she's great as Gohan throughout all stages up until he gets mad in the Cell games. Something about her gruff voice seems a bit too forced for me. But I'd take her SSJ2 Gohan any day of the week over Nadoly's raspy as all hell voice she was doing for him at that time.

Always found that puzzling and yet fitting. Like Gohan's still a kid but has the strength of a trillion men, affecting how his voice is since he's still yet to hit puberty. But that's just how I've seen. I do think she could've dialed it down to her Monkey D. Luffy at least.

That's basically why I like her as Gohan because of how he's the strongest figther along side his dad and Piccolo but hearing his voice really reminds you that he's still just a kid. It helps that Clinkenbeard subtly ages her Gohan from when he's 4 to 6 years old in the Saiyan and Freeza arcs before the timeskips to the Cell Saga.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here
Posts: 2417
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:03 am

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby 8000 Saiyan » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:18 am

I like her Gohan more than Nadolny's but not as much as I like Henderson's.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2261
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minneapolis

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Soppa Saia People » Sun Apr 30, 2017 10:54 am

It's a great performance, but I'm not a huge fan of it.
2018 albumzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/andre102/2018-musiic/

she/her pronouns thanks ily

User avatar
DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1182
Joined: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:39 pm
Location: Tampa, FL, USA
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby DB_Fan1991 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:15 pm

For Gohan from the beginning up until pre-Cell Games I think Colleen plays Gohan great. She's very fitting to a little boy and I enjoy the screams that she made especially when Gohan was fighting Freeza. Once Gohan steps out of the RoSaT though she no longer fits and it sounds ore like Luffy than Gohan and I much prefer Stephanie Nadolny & Masako Nozawa. For Kid Goku I only liked her in Curse of the Blood Rubies. Other than that Stephanie is my preferred choice for Kid Goku. For Android 18 I don't like her. She does not fit as well as Meredith McCoy did and I'm so glad that Meredith is back in the 2 new movies and Super. For her roles that she originated in the in-house dub (Princess Snake & Zangya) she's fine and I like her performances there.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2261
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: minneapolis

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Soppa Saia People » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:32 pm

DB_Fan1991 wrote:For Gohan from the beginning up until pre-Cell Games I think Colleen plays Gohan great. She's very fitting to a little boy and I enjoy the screams that she made especially when Gohan was fighting Freeza. Once Gohan steps out of the RoSaT though she no longer fits and it sounds ore like Luffy than Gohan and I much prefer Stephanie Nadolny & Masako Nozawa. For Kid Goku I only liked her in Curse of the Blood Rubies. Other than that Stephanie is my preferred choice for Kid Goku. For Android 18 I don't like her. She does not fit as well as Meredith McCoy did and I'm so glad that Meredith is back in the 2 new movies and Super. For her roles that she originated in the in-house dub (Princess Snake & Zangya) she's fine and I like her performances there.

Wasn't that her only role for him ?
2018 albumzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

https://rateyourmusic.com/list/andre102/2018-musiic/

she/her pronouns thanks ily

User avatar
Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here
Posts: 4405
Joined: Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:33 pm
Location: Salt Mines

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Jinzoningen MULE » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:48 pm

Soppa Saia People wrote:Wasn't that her only role for him ?

Once from Kai and once from Super Episode 16. There are also the video game performances.
Retired.


Return to “Dragon Ball Kai”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests