Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
Soppa Saia People
I Live Here
Posts: 2251
Joined: Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:26 pm
Location: Minneapolis

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Soppa Saia People » Mon May 01, 2017 12:55 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Soppa Saia People wrote:Wasn't that her only role for him ?

Once from Kai and once from Super Episode 16. There are also the video game performances.

Ah. Make sense I've never heard them. Haven't watched Kai sans the Saiyan Saga, my TV is on mute for Video Games, and have watched like 5 episodes of Super.

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby matt0044 » Tue May 02, 2017 11:10 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:Once Gohan steps out of the RoSaT though she no longer fits and it sounds ore like Luffy than Gohan

Honestly, her Luffy always sounded like her Gohan but closer to puberty so I had little issue on that.

User avatar
Bansho64
I Live Here
Posts: 2020
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2015 12:59 am

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Bansho64 » Tue May 02, 2017 1:52 pm

I don't really get this whole "sounds like Luffy thing". I saw Kai way before I saw One Piece so, to me, it would logically be the other way around. Gohan just sounds like Gohan.

User avatar
SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1619
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu/East District

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue May 02, 2017 4:59 pm

If you've only heard her voice Gohan, then you associate her voice as Gohan first, and people who heard her first as Luffy hear her as Luffy, due to the fact that her undertone is the same and recognizable. (A lot like Stephanie Sheh) to the point where you can pretty much hear the voice you heard her do first in all the new characters she does. Thats how it is with a lot of VA with a limited range. (Especially most of the Viz actors/sometimes infamously). Though funny enough, I didn't know she was in Z until I realized she played Zangya before Kai happened. Getting used to Kai, I don't have a problem with her as Gohan at all, I just never liked her screams. Though they're solid, its the pitch of them that seemed to annoy me most and sometimes she makes Gohan's voice sound a bit too cartoony to me. I don't really like her as No. 18. Again, its not a bad casting but I think No. 18's voice should be a tone deeper and less flamboyant, as her Japanese voice sounds more mellowed in her tone. Thats just my opinion though.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby matt0044 » Tue May 02, 2017 10:01 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Again, its not a bad casting but I think No. 18's voice should be a tone deeper and less flamboyant, as her Japanese voice sounds more mellowed in her tone. Thats just my opinion though.

I dunno, I think her 18 fit best with how she was portrayed in the Japanese version more with being a cybernetic teenager essentially with a sense of fashion and whatnot.

User avatar
IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie
Posts: 180
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:09 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby IAmTheMilkMan » Wed May 03, 2017 1:29 am

matt0044 wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Again, its not a bad casting but I think No. 18's voice should be a tone deeper and less flamboyant, as her Japanese voice sounds more mellowed in her tone. Thats just my opinion though.

I dunno, I think her 18 fit best with how she was portrayed in the Japanese version more with being a cybernetic teenager essentially with a sense of fashion and whatnot.

Yeah, I share that opinion with you. Colleen's take on 18 is more in line with how I perceive the Japanese voice. "A tone deeper and less flamboyant" just sounds like McCoy.

Though, is it just me, or was Colleen voicing her somewhat differently in TFC during the tournament? That may have had something to do with how 18 is in the scenes themselves, but it sounded like she was voicing her a tad deeper than usual, almost like she was mimicking McCoy. Not to mention, she came dangerously close to sounding like her Gohan during the fight with Goten and Trunks, which I never once noticed during the Android/Cell arc of Kai. I don't know... maybe I'm hearing things that aren't there, but it kind of bummed me out. Her acting was still great, though, so I'm happy with it.

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5845
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Metalwario64 » Wed May 03, 2017 2:17 am

I was just watching the episodes of the original Dragon Ball where Krillin dies with my Dad (dubbed), and Nadolny showed no real emotion in those scenes (and the dialog sucked: "Poor Krillin... he's gone..."), and she constantly makes these throaty grunting sounds when Goku's supposed to be both angry and upset.

Her voice work in Z (and since people have commented on it) specifically when Gohan was SS2 she was trying too hard to sound tough and cool, and it came across as hokey.

I definitely much prefer Clinkenbeard, even though some of her yells are a bit too shrill for my taste, her acting just has much more range and emotion than Nadoldny's performance. When it comes to sheer voice quality though, Saffron Henderson probably still wins on that one for sounding the most like an actual child.
"There was a sculptor. He found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months until he finally finished it. When he was ready he showed it to his friends. They said he had created a great masterpiece, but the sculptor said he hadn't created anything. The statue was always there, he just chipped away the rough edges." --Colonel Trautman

"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai

"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby matt0044 » Wed May 03, 2017 7:07 am

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Though, is it just me, or was Colleen voicing her somewhat differently in TFC during the tournament?

I thought it was to sound more like an adult with how she's a mother and whatnot.

Metalwario64 wrote:even though some of her yells are a bit too shrill for my taste,

I always liked how shrill her Gohan could get because of how it captured how he's one of Earth's strongest fighters but still a child above all else. It works in the Saiyan-Freeza arc with how he would barely be in First Grade at a School. In the Cell Saga, it's subtly altered to that of a kid bordering on puberty with the extra year in the time chamber tipping the scales more.

User avatar
SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm pretty cozy, here...
Posts: 1619
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu/East District

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby SingleFringe&Sparks » Wed May 03, 2017 3:51 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:
matt0044 wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Again, its not a bad casting but I think No. 18's voice should be a tone deeper and less flamboyant, as her Japanese voice sounds more mellowed in her tone. Thats just my opinion though.

I dunno, I think her 18 fit best with how she was portrayed in the Japanese version more with being a cybernetic teenager essentially with a sense of fashion and whatnot.

Yeah, I share that opinion with you. Colleen's take on 18 is more in line with how I perceive the Japanese voice. "A tone deeper and less flamboyant" just sounds like McCoy.

Not to mention, she came dangerously close to sounding like her Gohan during the fight with Goten and Trunks, which I never once noticed during the Android/Cell arc of Kai. I don't know... maybe I'm hearing things that aren't there, but it kind of bummed me out. Her acting was still great, though, so I'm happy with it.

I was just watching her fight with Mighty-Mask & Sparring with Krillin too and her voice sounded pretty high pitched there, to where she sounds a lot like her Kid Gohan voice which, I don't really like. I don't know why she is directed to sound like that when looking back at her voice for Zangya, it sounds closer to McCoy in tone and what I/we might be looking for in a better No.18. Funny enough.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

User avatar
ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 395
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:16 am

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby ConfusedPhantom » Wed May 03, 2017 5:07 pm

Her acting is more consistent than the others in Kai. Though as far as boy voices go, I do think the voice finally got down with Luffy recently, since her voice got deeper and rounder as time goes on.

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby matt0044 » Wed May 03, 2017 9:36 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I was just watching her fight with Mighty-Mask & Sparring with Krillin too and her voice sounded pretty high pitched there, to where she sounds a lot like her Kid Gohan voice which, I don't really like.

Usually that tend to be the case when they scream and the like. Still, It still sounds like Clinkenbeard's Erza Scarlet/Knightwalker but more like a teenage girl.

User avatar
MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 2:52 am
Location: Saskatchewan
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby MaxZ » Wed May 17, 2017 5:10 pm

her Gohan was okay earlier in Kai but Nadolni was better.

I don't like her as 18, McCoy was way better

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby matt0044 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:13 am

MaxZ wrote:her Gohan was okay earlier in Kai but Nadolni was better.

For me, Nadolny was a good Goku but as far as Gohan's pre-pubescent years go, Clinkenbeard was a better choice.

User avatar
perucho1990
I Live Here
Posts: 2333
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 5:04 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby perucho1990 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:33 am

The biggest issue with her is every time she yells, she is unbearable, its more unbearable than Nozawa ATATATATATATATATATATATA

User avatar
MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 2:52 am
Location: Saskatchewan
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby MaxZ » Thu May 18, 2017 4:33 pm

matt0044 wrote:
MaxZ wrote:her Gohan was okay earlier in Kai but Nadolni was better.

For me, Nadolny was a good Goku but as far as Gohan's pre-pubescent years go, Clinkenbeard was a better choice.

I felt Clinkenbeard was fine as the younger Gohan at the start, but later on when Gohan is an adolescent in the Cell Arc, it just wasn't suitable anymore

User avatar
Rory
I Live Here
Posts: 2632
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:15 pm
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Rory » Thu May 18, 2017 4:36 pm

She's the best English dubbed Gohan, I'd say. Her Gokuu however leaves much to be desired.

matt0044
Advanced Regular
Posts: 1135
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:54 pm

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby matt0044 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:19 am

MaxZ wrote:I felt Clinkenbeard was fine as the younger Gohan at the start, but later on when Gohan is an adolescent in the Cell Arc, it just wasn't suitable anymore

He was still technically nine/ten so I doubt they needed another VA at that time. I mean, we all know that teen Gohan was a major misnomer, right?

User avatar
Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5845
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:02 am
Location: Namek

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Metalwario64 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:45 am

matt0044 wrote:
MaxZ wrote:I felt Clinkenbeard was fine as the younger Gohan at the start, but later on when Gohan is an adolescent in the Cell Arc, it just wasn't suitable anymore

He was still technically nine/ten so I doubt they needed another VA at that time. I mean, we all know that teen Gohan was a major misnomer, right?

Yeah, he's most definitely hasn't even reached puberty yet, so his voice should be mostly the same. It's also annoying when people still insist on using video game terminology and they refer to him as "Teen Gohan", when that's actually Buu arc Gohan.

I'm going to start calling Trunks wearing Saiyan armor "Trunks (Fighting Teen)" from now on. :lol:
"There was a sculptor. He found this stone, a special stone. He dragged it home and he worked on it for months until he finally finished it. When he was ready he showed it to his friends. They said he had created a great masterpiece, but the sculptor said he hadn't created anything. The statue was always there, he just chipped away the rough edges." --Colonel Trautman

"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai

"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

User avatar
MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat May 14, 2016 2:52 am
Location: Saskatchewan
Contact:

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby MaxZ » Mon May 22, 2017 6:36 pm

matt0044 wrote:
MaxZ wrote:I felt Clinkenbeard was fine as the younger Gohan at the start, but later on when Gohan is an adolescent in the Cell Arc, it just wasn't suitable anymore

He was still technically nine/ten so I doubt they needed another VA at that time. I mean, we all know that teen Gohan was a major misnomer, right?

unless I'm mistaken, Gohan was 11 when he fought Cell

Dbzfan94
I Live Here
Posts: 4212
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:16 pm
Location: Mt. Paozu

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Postby Dbzfan94 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:39 pm

MaxZ wrote:
matt0044 wrote:
MaxZ wrote:I felt Clinkenbeard was fine as the younger Gohan at the start, but later on when Gohan is an adolescent in the Cell Arc, it just wasn't suitable anymore

He was still technically nine/ten so I doubt they needed another VA at that time. I mean, we all know that teen Gohan was a major misnomer, right?

unless I'm mistaken, Gohan was 11 when he fought Cell


11 in the dub/anime. 9 in the manga.
Supreme Kai: Who are you people?! Don't you know the universe matters more than your meaningless squabble?!

Majin Vegeta: MEANINGLESS, HUH?! WHAT DO YOU KNOW OF MEANINGLESS!? Spend most of your life ruled by another! Watch your race dwindle to a handful! AND THEN, tell me what has more meaning then your own strength! I have in me the blood of a Saiyan prince. He is nothing but a joke! Yet I've had to watch him surpass me in strength, my destiny thrown to the wayside! He's...He's even saved my life like I were a helpless child...He has stolen my honor, and his debts...must be paid!


Return to “Dragon Ball Kai”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 8000 Saiyan and 3 guests