Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:54 pm

And Clinkenbeard is cute? Note that I'm not condeming you or disagreeing with you. I just find this weird.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:59 pm

Yeah, she sometimes gives me cute vibes.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:27 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:That makes no sense! Miki Ito is sexy, if you find McCoy sexy then she and not Clinkenbeard is closer to the Japanese version. In your opinion that is.
Miki Ito's voice comes across to me as cute sometimes.
Miki Ito is a Good Voice Actress for #18. She can show both cute and angry side of #18 very well.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:32 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:That makes no sense! Miki Ito is sexy, if you find McCoy sexy then she and not Clinkenbeard is closer to the Japanese version. In your opinion that is.
Miki Ito's voice comes across to me as cute sometimes.
Miki Ito is a Good Voice Actress for #18. She can show both cute and angry side of #18 very well.
I do love her Android 18. I never implied that she wasn't a good fit.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:34 pm

I guess I don't mind her. My favorite Gohan will always be Saffron Henderson's. I find Kai Gohan to sound really whiny and strange. Though I guess it is better than Nadolny's performance as Gohan, who was green as grass, but by the time Budokai rolled out, she actually did a lot better (in my opinion). I feel like I can't imagine a different Goku since Nadolny did his entire voice for Dragon Ball and GT, and I think she did a good job.

Clickenbeard isn't bad at all, but I guess I'm not used to it. I didn't watch a whole lot of Kai, so when I hear it, it kind of grates my ears. But I'm sure if I sat through 10 episodes straight, I'd get used to it. I find Bulma's replacement actress to be terrible too. That's not to say that Volmer (sp?) was better, but being better isn't the same thing as being good.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:22 am

She is easily my favorite performance of non-adult Gohan thus far. The others have had some great moments, but the overall comparison makes it clear how much life and emotion she brings to the role. Pity about all the haters. I make an effort not to be stuck in the past.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:57 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I guess I don't mind her. My favorite Gohan will always be Saffron Henderson's. I find Kai Gohan to sound really whiny and strange.
That's a weird complaint considering that Gohan's whininess is a big part of his character, particularly the Saiyan Saga where he's pre-tty young. I mean, he's ages 4 to 10 up to Cell so Nadolny's vocal performance was weird considering how deep it was.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:18 pm

Not purposely whiny. Gohan was whiny when he was four years old and kidnapped. I found his entire portrayal by Colleen to be whiny. He also always sounded surprised or something. It's hard for me to describe.

Daimo-Rukiri
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Daimo-Rukiri » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:37 pm

She's no Nozawa but she's easily the best English Kid Gohan in my opinion, I really didn't like Nadolny or Henderson in the that role.
Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Dragon Ball Hero's Spirit development blog - An Action-RPG coming soon to monitor near you!
https://dragonball-hs.tumblr.com/

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Sat Aug 12, 2017 1:04 pm

I'll only bring up the dub voices here, since it's just cheating to mention Nozawa.

She's certainly miles better as Gohan than Nadolny, who always tried way too hard to make Gohan sound masculine. Plus her yells don't sound so shrill as to make me cover my ears and cringe. I think my only complaint is that she comes off sounding more feminine than childish.
I'm relatively indifferent toward her Goku and #18, though. I don't hate them, but I don't particularly like them either.

Personally, I think Saffron Henderson hit the perfect notes to make Gohan sound like an actual little boy, but I think Clinkenbeard's take is perfectly fine even if it's not as good.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:57 am

As Gohan, having not remembered any prior dub of DBZ, I found that Colleen worked really well. The flashbacks to Kid Goku however were always extremely weird because of my association with Nadolny in that role.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Mon Aug 14, 2017 1:59 am

I think she does well for Gohan, I just don't picture her voice for kid Goku though.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Shaddy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:07 am

Put me in the "Good for Gohan, not for Goku" camp. Goku always kinda looked the same young age as a kid, and he was always happy, which seems to be the two things Nadolny does best (her voicework on OK K.O.! is only proving this further). Gohan plays into none of this however, as he's constantly in mortal peril and noticeably ages, even before the timeskip. Not only that, but there's a ton of DBZ screaming involved, meaning, like everyone else, the VA's gonna get a hoarse voice, and Z Gohan is probably the most obvious example. The "chain smoker" comments about Nadolny's Gohan exist for a reason, and that's it. Clinkenbeard, on the other hand, not only has a smoother voice naturally, but also IMO, is just better at screaming and voicing an angry boy. I watched Kai a long time before One Piece, and while I could definitely tell it was the same actress, I admired that her Gohan is portrayed very differently than her Luffy. That said, Clinkenbeard's kid Goku is literally Pre-war Luffy. It's...exactly the same, in every way. Not that her Luffy isn't stellar, but it's so similar it's distracting.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:37 am

Shaddy wrote:Clinkenbeard's kid Goku is literally Pre-war Luffy. It's...exactly the same, in every way. Not that her Luffy isn't stellar, but it's so similar it's distracting.
That's probably the biggest distractor for me; while my heart will always be with Nadolny, the fact that Clickenbeard's Goku was practically unchanged was the main thing that threw me off about it. Compare to Nozawa who has differences between each Son character she plays.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:44 am

Nia wrote:I think my only complaint is that she comes off sounding more feminine than childish.
Well, Gohan was never really a manly man brawler compared to his fellow Saiyans so he got a bit of traits on could consider feminine.

As for Goku, I don't mind if Nadolny's unavailable for new material or that it's mainly her Luffy since the characters themselves are similar to be fair. However, I feel like flashbacks to Dragon Ball in Kai should have reused audio of Nadolny's Goku as a bit of a tribute to her at the very least.

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nia » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:27 pm

matt0044 wrote:
Nia wrote:I think my only complaint is that she comes off sounding more feminine than childish.
Well, Gohan was never really a manly man brawler compared to his fellow Saiyans so he got a bit of traits on could consider feminine.
There is considerable truth to that, and it is one of the major reasons why I hated Nadolny's Gohan: she, in her own words, tried to make Gohan sound as manly as possible... which was especially bad pre-Cell games. Once he grew up a little and fought Cell, it wasn't as bad, although the yells still always made me cover my ears in pain.

It's just that Clinkenbeard's Gohan sometimes just sounds a little bit too girly at times. Don't get me wrong though; I still think she does a great job in the role, and wish there were a lot more voices that had gotten a suitable replacement like her in Kai (of course, I wish everyone was on the same level as Ayers' Freeza, but that's a story for a different time thread).

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:37 pm

The more feminine take I feel works well for Gohan's more peaceful and reluctant-to-fight nature that crops up in the Saiyan and Cell Games parts of the story and really helps sell that aspect of the character. It also adds a bit of contrast to the lower-pitched performances of the surrounding cast like Goku, Krillin and Vegeta, and it really helps sell the moment where Dende becomes the next Guardian of Earth. I just wanted to glomp the two of them after they reunited at Kami's Lookout.

I agree on the idea that, for as little lines as Kid Goku had in Kai, they really could have used Nadolny's takes for them, especially since they all were pre-existing lines!

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:59 pm

She's a very good actress whether you like her boy voices or not, she's able to put so much energy and emotion into not only Gohan but Luffy as well. I honestly never thought her boy voices sounded feminine but rather High pitched similar to Nozawa. Saffron might have had the better voice but Coleen brings more energy to the character. I really like her performance as both 18 and Gohan, but her Goku I have mixed feelings about. I'm honestly surprised at the amount of users who like her Gohan and 18 since coming to Kanzenshuu, much different compared to anywhere else where her 18, Gohan and Luffy get shit on constantly.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:00 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:She's a very good actress whether you like her boy voices or not, she's able to put so much energy and emotion into not only Gohan but Luffy as well. I honestly never thought her boy voices sounded feminine but rather High pitched similar to Nozawa. Saffron might have had the better voice but Coleen brings more energy to the character. I really like her performance as both 18 and Gohan, but her Goku I have mixed feelings about. I'm honestly surprised at the amount of users who like her Gohan and 18 since coming to Kanzenshuu, much different compared to anywhere else where her 18, Gohan and Luffy get shit on constantly.
Prefer Nadolny, eh?

I prefer Henderson because she's not that grating unlike Clinkenbeard's take.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Sep 26, 2017 10:17 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:She's a very good actress whether you like her boy voices or not, she's able to put so much energy and emotion into not only Gohan but Luffy as well. I honestly never thought her boy voices sounded feminine but rather High pitched similar to Nozawa. Saffron might have had the better voice but Coleen brings more energy to the character. I really like her performance as both 18 and Gohan, but her Goku I have mixed feelings about. I'm honestly surprised at the amount of users who like her Gohan and 18 since coming to Kanzenshuu, much different compared to anywhere else where her 18, Gohan and Luffy get shit on constantly.
Prefer Nadolny, eh?

I prefer Henderson because she's not that grating unlike Clinkenbeard's take.
No I don't like Nadolny, I have no idea what made you think I did. :crazy:
I said that I prefer Colleen as the English voice for Gohan because I don't find her grating and she's a terrific actress with high energy.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu