Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Post by matt0044 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:17 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:
matt0044 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I prefer Henderson because she's not that grating unlike Clinkenbeard's take.
I found Clinkenbeard's Gohan grating in a good way since it kinda reminds me, "Oh, yeah, he's still just a kid in the end."
For me it went in and out. There were times where he spoke and it sounded fine, and reminded me of the Japanese voice he had when it was soft and meek, but then when she got angry and yelled as Gohan, thats when it got grating. In a bad way. She was just way to high-pitched in those extremes for me, where as Nadonly knew how to scream in the right pitch, for a boy character and one that wasn't painful to listen to.
Yeah, it was grating but I took that as part of the character as well as the age. I don't know if you realized but kids from 4 to 9/10 years of age generally tend to sound less deep toned. Naldonly was good as young Goku since he was growing into his teen years but young Gohan was barely at that age by the Cell saga's end.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:21 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I could listen to that woman talk all day. Same thing with Atsuko Tanaka and Kotono Mitsuishi.
Rei Ayanami,Musashi and Paprika and also, young Genkai.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Hard to believe that Faye Valentine voiced that little blind kid, huh?
I didn't even knew about her voicing blind kid before I searched it up, I wish she got to voice some major Role in DB Series but Dragon Ball is such a Male Dominanated Series that there are hardly Any Woman in it other than Blooma, Chi Chi, Videl and Lazuli compared to no. of Females in Maybe Naruto and One Piece.
As good as Yuriko Yamaguchi is in the role, I think Hayashibara would have also been a great Vados.
Yes it would work perfectly or other female angel/God.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:36 am

KBABZ wrote:Yesterday I watched a fair chunk of Funimation's 2009 dub of Blood Rubies. Clinkenbeard does a good job as Kid Goku, but I can't disassociate the Gohan Connection, and I prefer Nadolny's more stilted, naive and fun-loving approach.

Also not sure if it was mentioned here at all, but Rial's take on Bulma doesn't quite work for her teenage years like Vollmer's did. Does a fantastic mature Bulma in Z though!
At first, I associated Rial's voice for her with the character becoming basically UNBEARABLE during the Namek stuff, but then I rewatched that part of Kai a few more times & I realized that it's BULMA who's the bitch. She mellows out with age, but she's AWFUL during that arc with no prompting. Rial just played the character as written & she did a great job. In terms of her range, I'd say she's got a bit more than Vollmer, but either voice works for me, personally.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:10 am

Scsigs wrote:
KBABZ wrote:Yesterday I watched a fair chunk of Funimation's 2009 dub of Blood Rubies. Clinkenbeard does a good job as Kid Goku, but I can't disassociate the Gohan Connection, and I prefer Nadolny's more stilted, naive and fun-loving approach.

Also not sure if it was mentioned here at all, but Rial's take on Bulma doesn't quite work for her teenage years like Vollmer's did. Does a fantastic mature Bulma in Z though!
At first, I associated Rial's voice for her with the character becoming basically UNBEARABLE during the Namek stuff, but then I rewatched that part of Kai a few more times & I realized that it's BULMA who's the bitch. She mellows out with age, but she's AWFUL during that arc with no prompting. Rial just played the character as written & she did a great job. In terms of her range, I'd say she's got a bit more than Vollmer, but either voice works for me, personally.
Yeah, Namek-era Bulma is insufferable, which is a shame because that's when she wears one of my favourite outfit of hers! Her naggyness is likely the result of the setting and where the story is at during the arc. When you compare it to her involvement in the first two Dragon Ball quests, Namek's has much less emphasis on the actual searching and acquiring of the Dragon Balls, and is more about the drama in the fights, which the Dragon Balls are the catalysts of. As such Bulma has such a limited ability to contribute, or even just tag alongside the heroes.

Rial definitely has more range than Vollmer, she's able to more effectively play the softer, calmer side of her character when the story isn't so crazy. I feel that this is demonstrated right in the first episode where she acts very nostalgic over things like Kame House and the old Dragon Ball searches; even though it's a new actress, you can plainly sense in her voice that Bulma really does look back fondly on those events.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:30 am

KBABZ wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

Yeah, Namek-era Bulma is insufferable, which is a shame because that's when she wears one of my favourite outfit of hers! Her naggyness is likely the result of the setting and where the story is at during the arc. When you compare it to her involvement in the first two Dragon Ball quests, Namek's has much less emphasis on the actual searching and acquiring of the Dragon Balls, and is more about the drama in the fights, which the Dragon Balls are the catalysts of. As such Bulma has such a limited ability to contribute, or even just tag alongside the heroes.
Rial definitely has more range than Vollmer, she's able to more effectively play the softer, calmer side of her character when the story isn't so crazy. I feel that this is demonstrated right in the first episode where she acts very nostalgic over things like Kame House and theMonica Rial does a better Bulma voice than Tiffany Volmer who spoke so slow and unnaturally loud as if she screamed everytime she opened her mouth. She also sounded cringy in her older GT self. Monica Rial has a better flow in her voice as Bulma.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:25 pm

matt0044 wrote:
matt0044 wrote: I found Clinkenbeard's Gohan grating in a good way since it kinda reminds me, "Oh, yeah, he's still just a kid in the end."
For me it went in and out. There were times where he spoke and it sounded fine, and reminded me of the Japanese voice he had when it was soft and meek, but then when she got angry and yelled as Gohan, thats when it got grating. In a bad way. She was just way to high-pitched in those extremes for me, where as Nadonly knew how to scream in the right pitch, for a boy character and one that wasn't painful to listen to.
Yeah, it was grating but I took that as part of the character as well as the age. I don't know if you realized but kids from 4 to 9/10 years of age generally tend to sound less deep toned. Naldonly was good as young Goku since he was growing into his teen years but young Gohan was barely at that age by the Cell saga's end.
The voice Stephanie used for 5 year-old gohan was indisputably too deep for the character at the time but I still think that was because she was trying to emulate the Ocean dub's VA, but yeah her Young Gohan was better, simply because she had the lower tone that we associate with the mood of the transformation and the fight, and she also seemed to just have better control of her yells. There is a way to yell for characters that doesn't make it sound ear-splitting. In the Z-dub for Gotenks' SS3 vice-shout in the ROST Laura Bailey & Kara Edwards were able to do the pitch that again, was high for their character's age - but low enough for it to sound like a yell as opposed to a pitchy scream that I just get from Colleen's Gohan.

I disagree. I thought Vollmer was better in the later parts of the series at most but watching the Path to Power Dub, I thought it was her worst attempt for the character. Her voice was just too heavy for the character at that age and the ditsy attempt she gave sounded a bit clownish as opposed to Rial's who you can actually distinctly tell her bitchiness to her cockiness and general loudmouthed naivety. I never got that from Vollmer's Bulma at all. Rial's voice is also just higher pitched as well which is supposed to make bulma sound young. Vollmer just didn't have the range for her personality or age.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:37 pm

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:I disagree. I thought Vollmer was better in the later parts of the series at most but watching the Path to Power Dub, I thought it was her worst attempt for the character. Her voice was just too heavy for the character at that age and the ditsy attempt she gave sounded a bit clownish as opposed to Rial's who you can actually distinctly tell her bitchiness to her cockiness and general loudmouthed naivety. I never got that from Vollmer's Bulma at all. Rial's voice is also just higher pitched as well which is supposed to make bulma sound young. Vollmer just didn't have the range for her personality or age.
To be frank I think Path to Power is the worst of both Vollmer and Nadolny in their respective roles; Nadolny had gotten a bit too papery by that point, and both feel a bit too shouty after having played their roles for so long (I got this feeling from clips I've watched of Revenge of King Piccolo as well).

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Sun Oct 15, 2017 2:13 pm

matt0044 wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote: For me it went in and out. There were times where he spoke and it sounded fine, and reminded me of the Japanese voice he had when it was soft and meek, but then when she got angry and yelled as Gohan, thats when it got grating. In a bad way. She was just way to high-pitched in those extremes for me, where as Nadonly knew how to scream in the right pitch, for a boy character and one that wasn't painful to listen to.
The voice Stephanie used for 5 year-old gohan was indisputably too deep for the character at the time but I still think that was because she was trying to emulate the Ocean dub's VA, but yeah her Young Gohan was better, simply because she had the lower tone that we associate with the mood of the transformation and the fight, and she also seemed to just have better control of her yells. There is a way to yell for characters that doesn't make it sound ear-splitting. In the Z-dub for Gotenks' SS3 vice-shout in the ROST Laura Bailey & Kara Edwards were able to do the pitch that again, was high for their character's age - but low enough for it to sound like a yell as opposed to a pitchy scream that I just get from Colleen's Gohan.
Maybe my hearing is just bad but I don't hear anything high pitch or grating in this scene: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvKJaIS1PuU
Honestly I don't understand how people find Colleens screams to high pitched but not Nozawa's since she's higher than any English VA. No hate on either I love both takes.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

GamerSkull
Regular

Post by GamerSkull » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:52 pm

She's good in a lot of dubbed anime, imo.

But I'm not sure I really enjoy her work on DB.
"Roga Fu-Fu Ken!"

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Feb 28, 2018 7:16 pm

I prefer her Gohan voice a lot more than Nadolny's Gohan, although I prefer Nadolny's Kid Goku than Clinkenbeard's.

I don't know if her constant role of playing Luffy in One Piece has had an effect on her, but now in video games (especially FighterZ) her Teen Gohan voice is basically Luffy, which was never a thing before.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:11 pm

I think she's great as Gohan and #18 but I just can't get behind her Kid Goku.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:31 pm

Logania wrote:I prefer her Gohan voice a lot more than Nadolny's Gohan, although I prefer Nadolny's Kid Goku than Clinkenbeard's.

I don't know if her constant role of playing Luffy in One Piece has had an effect on her, but now in video games (especially FighterZ) her Teen Gohan voice is basically Luffy, which was never a thing before.
As big a fan as I am of Clinkenbeard, I was rather disappointed with her FighterZ performance. It sounds more like her Luffy voice which is rather gravelly, her voice she used in Kai was a lot smoother.
Not only that but her lines feel rather phoned in, at least compared to the phenomenal performances actors like Schemmel and Miller gave.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:43 pm

Asura wrote:
Logania wrote:As big a fan as I am of Clinkenbeard, I was rather disappointed with her FighterZ performance. It sounds more like her Luffy voice which is rather gravelly, her voice she used in Kai was a lot smoother.
Not only that but her lines feel rather phoned in, at least compared to the phenomenal performances actors like Schemmel and Miller gave.
Totally agree, but gameplay-wise her yells and actions sound great still to me (Especially her yells in Father Son Kamehameha) hopefully later games on she tones it back a bit on the roughness.

Schemmel has probably my favorite voice lines in this game, especially with Black. I haven't heard him so into his role video game wise since Burst Limit which is great, it's why I tend to have him in every team lol
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:22 pm

Logania wrote:I prefer her Gohan voice a lot more than Nadolny's Gohan, although I prefer Nadolny's Kid Goku than Clinkenbeard's.
ringworm128 wrote:I think she's great as Gohan and #18 but I just can't get behind her Kid Goku.
You're both speaking my language! Clinkenbeard does a fantastic job at showing Gohan's vocal evolution, going from a squeaky five four year old to the lower-pitched tweenager at the Cell Games, and even to SS2 cruelty. It's pretty amazing.

As Goku however it just feels... off. I mean I know Nozawa voicing the entire Son family is a running gag at this point, but for what I'm familiar with it doesn't work. What I felt Nadolny nailed with Kid Goku is having a slightly stilted pronunciation that reminds you that Goku grew up in the wilds, but in a way that doesn't impede what the character is actually communicating.

I liked Colleen as 18 a lot as well, able to get that smooth rebellious nature while still able to have the character actually emote. I was actually taken aback a bit when I heard her in FighterZ, but then I remembered that it takes place practically a decade after the Cell arc so it's understandable that she sounds more mellow.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:59 pm

This is pretty much how I felt. Her Gohan voice isn't my favorite but it's vastly preferable to Nadolny's. Yet the very high pitch somewhat feminine childish voice may work for Gohan it does not work for Goku. But Nadolny's rasp works for Goku in it's own kind of weird way but was all kind of wrong for Gohan. One of the huge reasons I can't stomach the DBZ dub.

Funny how none of the 3 English voices who voiced both Kid Goku and Gohan could do both. It was just one of the other. Saffron Henderson's Gohan was real good by far my favorite. Her kid Goku did not work. Amusingly enough, she was hired to do Kid Goku first but was more fitting for Gohan where the opposite happened with Nadolny who was hired to do Gohan (as an imitator of Henderson at least) and better fit Kid Goku.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:05 am

Her Gohan voice is grating but even worse is her Kid Goku, that one just makes me want to rip my ears off because of how bad it is. Clinkenbeard made both of these male characters sound extremely feminine as if they were actually girls instead and no, don't you compare this foreign VA to Masako as that would be highly disrespectful.

Masako has mastered voicing the Son family and each of her characters have a distinct male voice of their own. High-pitched, maybe? Yes. Feminine? No. I guess one can argue the feminine voice somewhat fits before a boy hits his teen years but I'd not bother with that sentiment. I'm no fan of the FUNimation dub but if I was, Clinkenbeard would've kinda ruined it for me then.

I can't believe FUNimation replaced Stephanie Naldony with this two bit voice-actress that's barely able to make her characters sound any different from each other. Sabat has this issue with Vegeta and Piccolo but it's nowhere near as bad and I enjoy his performances, well, he's no Brian Drummond but that's okay.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:35 am

SuperCyan2 wrote:Her Gohan voice is grating but even worse is her Kid Goku, that one just makes me want to rip my ears off because of how bad it is. Clinkenbeard made both of these male characters sound extremely feminine as if they were actually girls instead and no, don't you compare this foreign VA to Masako as that would be highly disrespectful.

Masako has mastered voicing the Son family and each of her characters have a distinct male voice of their own. High-pitched, maybe? Yes. Feminine? No. I guess one can argue the feminine voice somewhat fits before a boy hits his teen years but I'd not bother with that sentiment. I'm no fan of the FUNimation dub but if I was, Clinkenbeard would've kinda ruined it for me then.

I can't believe FUNimation replaced Stephanie Naldony with this two bit voice-actress that's barely able to make her characters sound any different from each other. Sabat has this issue with Vegeta and Piccolo but it's nowhere near as bad and I enjoy his performances, well, he's no Brian Drummond but that's okay.

I don't know if I can agree with that. I have my issues with Clickenbeard's performance (namely it had that LISTEN TO ME DOING THIS ADORABLE LITTLE BOY VOICE I'M SUCH AN ADORABLE LITTLE KID FULL OF WONDERMENT performance that seems to plague modern anime dubs) but little boys especially when they're 4 like Gohan was at the start can have really high pitched girly sounding voices. I dunno I find that more realistic than a toddler having a smoker's rasp like Naldony did.

And her Gohan and 18 voice are pretty distinct even if I'm not really a fan of her 18 voice. And I know a lot of fans say her Gohan voice and Monkey D Luffy voice are the same, but I can only barely hear it.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:40 am

MasenkoHA wrote: I don't know if I can agree with that. I have my issues with Clickenbeard's performance (namely it had that LISTEN TO ME DOING THIS ADORABLE LITTLE BOY VOICE I'M SUCH AN ADORABLE LITTLE KID FULL OF WONDERMENT performance that seems to plague modern anime dubs) but little boys especially when they're 4 like Gohan was at the start can have really high pitched girly sounding voices. I dunno I find that more realistic than a toddler having a smoker's rasp like Naldony did.

And her Gohan and 18 voice are pretty distinct even if I'm not really a fan of her 18 voice. And I know a lot of fans say her Gohan voice and Monkey D Luffy voice are the same, but I can only barely hear it.
Her Kid Goku sounds so atrociously bad to me that I'd rather hear Kid Goku from the Big Green dub, at least that voice makes me chuckle sometimes and just go along with it but Clinkenbeard's Kid Goku? OH GOD, PLEASE MAKE IT STOP!!
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Mar 25, 2018 12:44 am

I agree with that. It's incredibly wrong voice for Goku. Gohan at least is suppose to kind of be a cute kid. Goku as a kid was more....savage..

Blondiebear_17

Post by Blondiebear_17 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 7:01 am

I honestly think Stephanie Nadolny is the best I have to stop at least 2 to 3 times during an episode of Dragon ball to laugh she delivers her lines in such a cute and innocent way it's overwhelming for me sometimes. I also love the way that Stephanie Nadolny had Schemmels doofy laugh down so you can honestly believe that kid Goku and Adult Goku are the same person. I'm not a Colleen fan in general really.