Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon May 22, 2017 6:40 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:I'm going to start calling Trunks wearing Saiyan armor "Trunks (Fighting Teen)" from now on. :lol:
I never knew why the games did that :lol:
In BT3, Buu Saga Vegeta was called "Vegeta (Second Form)" :lol: :lol:

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Tue May 23, 2017 6:14 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MaxZ wrote:
matt0044 wrote: He was still technically nine/ten so I doubt they needed another VA at that time. I mean, we all know that teen Gohan was a major misnomer, right?
unless I'm mistaken, Gohan was 11 when he fought Cell
11 in the dub/anime. 9 in the manga.
including the year in the time chamber?

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:11 pm

MaxZ wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
MaxZ wrote: unless I'm mistaken, Gohan was 11 when he fought Cell
11 in the dub/anime. 9 in the manga.
including the year in the time chamber?
Yes. The anime added an extra year for Goku coming back from Yardrat too iirc.

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Sat May 27, 2017 1:41 pm

She's a better Android 18 than Meredith and a better Gohan than Nadolny. That said, she's not a perfect Gohan.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 7:25 am

I think she is Very Good Voice for Both Kid Gohan and #18. She makes Gohan sound like an actual child and puts emotions into the lines thus she is better than Nadolny. Though for Kid Goku i would say Collen wasn't bad but Saffron Hendersen is better English voice for Goku infact, I even like her Gohan too but for me Collen Clinkenbeard is best English kid Gohan and Hendersen is best English Kid Goku.

I don't know why many fans hate her #18 Voice in Kai I think it was really Fitting for a Cyborg Teenager and atleast she puts emotions in her voice unlike McCoy's #18 in Z Dub which sounded Bland and Boring as if she wasn't even trying to Emote but in BoG, RoF and Super Dub she sounds fine.

But, I would rather pick Collen's #18 as it sounds a little like Collen's Erza Scarlet but with a Slightly high pitched voice but I think she is too much over critisized for her work, she does a great Luffy, great Kid Gohan and #18.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:48 am

Ripper 30 wrote:I think she is Very Good Voice for Both Kid Gohan and #18. She makes Gohan sound like an actual child and puts emotions into the lines thus she is better than Nadolny. Though for Kid Goku i would say Collen wasn't bad but Saffron Hendersen is better English voice for Goku infact, I even like her Gohan too but for me Collen Clinkenbeard is best English kid Gohan and Hendersen is best English Kid Goku.

I don't know why many fans hate her #18 Voice in Kai I think it was really Fitting for a Cyborg Teenager and atleast she puts emotions in her voice unlike McCoy's #18 in Z Dub which sounded Bland and Boring as if she wasn't even trying to Emote but in BoG, RoF and Super Dub she sounds fine.

But, I would rather pick Collen's #18 as it sounds a little like Collen's Erza Scarlet but with a Slightly high pitched voice but I think she is too much over critisized for her work, she does a great Luffy, great Kid Gohan and #18.
Her 18 pretty much sounds just like erza in Final Chapters, I'm sure fewer people would've had a problem If she sounded like that from the beginning. But her more girlish 18 voice sounded more like her JPN voice.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:42 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:I think she is Very Good Voice for Both Kid Gohan and #18. She makes Gohan sound like an actual child and puts emotions into the lines thus she is better than Nadolny. Though for Kid Goku i would say Collen wasn't bad but Saffron Hendersen is better English voice for Goku infact, I even like her Gohan too but for me Collen Clinkenbeard is best English kid Gohan and Hendersen is best English Kid Goku.

Her 18 pretty much sounds just like erza in Final Chapters, I'm sure fewer people would've had a problem If she sounded like that from the beginning. But her more girlish 18 voice sounded more like her JPN voice.
yes I was just watching the last few Episodes of Kai TFC Dub and there's that scene where The whole group of Goku and CO. Are getting ready to watch the fight and 18 is talking about Reward and all and She really sounded pretty good there and yes there is something about her voice which reminded me of Miki Ito's voice
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:51 pm

Personally, I prefer Barbara Goodson's Kid Goku from the Harmony Gold dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:13 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:

Yes it was better than Nadolny too but we never got to see much of Harmony Gold

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:46 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:

Yeah, but Goodson and Lee had a lot of potential in their roles. Well, Lee has improved a lot in the Bang Zoom dub.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:05 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Personally, I prefer Barbara Goodson's Kid Goku from the Harmony Gold dub.
Yeah, but Goodson and Lee had a lot of potential in their roles. Well, Lee has improved a lot in the Bang Zoom dub.
Lee has been voicing for a long time and famous for Faye Valentine Role in Cowboy Bebop Dub and also her Bulma sounds way better than Tiffany Volmer's scratchy rough raspy voice.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:08 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Yes it was better than Nadolny too but we never got to see much of Harmony Gold
Lee has been voicing for a long time and famous for Faye Valentine Role in Cowboy Bebop Dub and also her Bulma sounds way better than Tiffany Volmer's scratchy rough raspy voice.
Yeah, I know she voiced Faye. Unpopular opinion, but I love to watch Cowboy Bebop way more in Japanese. I just love Koichi Yamadera and Megumi Hayashibara's voices. They're so good and are also great singers.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:16 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Yeah, but Goodson and Lee had a lot of potential in their roles. Well, Lee has improved a lot in the Bang Zoom dub.
Yeah, I know she voiced Faye. Unpopular opinion, but I love to watch Cowboy Bebop way more in Japanese. I just love Koichi Yamadera and Megumi Hayashibara's voices. They're so good and are also great singers.
I am not one of those who thinks Cowboy Bebop Better in Dub because I like a lot of Japanese voices too like Norio Wakamoto's Vicious,etc. But Steven Blum is good too because of that smooth Stylish voice he Gave Spike in dub

YadratBoy

Post by YadratBoy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:24 pm

I personally think that she's the best portrayal of Gohan, I think to moments in the Sayain Arc with Gohan in the woods where she manages to get his gentle and cowardly nature almost perfectly. I can't think of a moment I didn't like her as Gohan, to be honest. Colleen's talent really gets to shine as Gohan begins to grow as a character during the cell arc. You could here voice becoming deeper and gruff, I felt it was a nice and subtle way to show that Gohan was slowly but surely shedding his pampered school boy personality, with that hint of hesitancy still there. And of course, her real triumph was the SSJ2 transformation, give this lady a medal already. She really nails Gohan "losing it", the way he just blew it with Freeza still gives me chills. In fact, anytime Collen yells is a treat. I know the complaint is that she makes Gohan sound too high pitched and girly, but I honestly don't see what's wrong with that. Gohan's a kid, he's got tons of emotion and power built up inside of him, Collen sells that emotion for me.

Stephanie Nadolny is still the voice I hear when reading the manga though, the nostaliga just sticks.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:10 pm

YadratBoy wrote:I personally think that she's the best portrayal of Gohan, I think to moments in the Sayain Arc with Gohan in the woods where she manages to get his gentle and cowardly nature almost perfectly. I can't think of a moment I didn't like her as Gohan, to be honest. Colleen's talent really gets to shine as Gohan begins to grow as a character during the cell arc. You could here voice becoming deeper and gruff, I felt it was a nice and subtle way to show that Gohan was slowly but surely shedding his pampered school boy personality, with that hint of hesitancy still there. And of course, her real triumph was the SSJ2 transformation, give this lady a medal already. She really nails Gohan "losing it", the way he just blew it with Freeza still gives me chills. In fact, anytime Collen yells is a treat. I know the complaint is that she makes Gohan sound too high pitched and girly, but I honestly don't see what's wrong with that. Gohan's a kid, he's got tons of emotion and power built up inside of him, Collen sells that emotion for me.

Stephanie Nadolny is still the voice I hear when reading the manga though, the nostaliga just sticks.
Definately with you on this. Though I think Stephanie's voice was better suited for Goku (though her laugh as him can weird me out), Colleen feels better suited for Gohan before he grows into his Kyle Hebert voice.

Her #18 works as being more like how the Japanese version portrayed the character.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:41 am

matt0044 wrote:
YadratBoy wrote:I personally think that she's the best portrayal of Gohan, I think to moments in the Sayain Arc with Gohan in the woods where she manages to get his gentle and cowardly nature almost perfectly. I can't think of a moment I didn't like her as Gohan, to be honest. Colleen's talent really gets to shine as Gohan begins to grow as a character during the cell arc. You could here voice becoming deeper and gruff, I felt it was a nice and subtle way to show that Gohan was slowly but surely shedding his pampered school boy personality, with that hint of hesitancy still there. And of course, her real triumph was the SSJ2 transformation, give this lady a medal already. She really nails Gohan "losing it", the way he just blew it with Freeza still gives me chills. In fact, anytime Collen yells is a treat. I know the complaint is that she makes Gohan sound too high pitched and girly, but I honestly don't see what's wrong with that. Gohan's a kid, he's got tons of emotion and power built up inside of him, Collen sells that emotion for me.

Definately with you on this. Though I think Stephanie's voice was better suited for Goku (though her laugh as him can weird me out), Colleen feels better suited for Gohan before he grows into his Kyle Hebert voice.

Her #18 works as being more like how the Japanese version portrayed the character.
Agreed, that's the reason Iiked her #18 because McCoy's #18 sounded so monotone and boring as if she wasn't even trying to put any emotions in her voice and if you watch this clip you will notice that we can hardly understand what she is speaking about whereas in Kai we can hear Collen's #18 clearly.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:58 pm

matt0044 wrote:
DB_Fan1991 wrote:Once Gohan steps out of the RoSaT though she no longer fits and it sounds ore like Luffy than Gohan
Honestly, her Luffy always sounded like her Gohan but closer to puberty so I had little issue on that.
Actually, her Gohan sounds like her Luffy. She started voicing Luffy 2-3 years before Kai started being dubbed, or was even a thing. Her Gohan is the result of her pitching up her Luffy voice & not sounding like she partially pugs her nose when she does it so she doesn't sound like a simpleton.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:58 pm

While Clinkenbeard's 18 sounds more like the Japanese version, I prefer McCoy. She has such a sexy voice.

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:21 pm

That makes no sense! Miki Ito is sexy, if you find McCoy sexy then she and not Clinkenbeard is closer to the Japanese version. In your opinion that is.
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:25 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:That makes no sense! Miki Ito is sexy, if you find McCoy sexy then she and not Clinkenbeard is closer to the Japanese version. In your opinion that is.
Miki Ito's voice comes across to me as cute sometimes.