Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Post by Nia » Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:29 pm

I'm indifferent toward her Goku and #18. They're not great or anything, but they're not bad either; they're both acceptable. I believe she was also Zangya?

I like her Gohan. A little bit too feminine at times, but still fits the character pretty well. She's no Saffron Henderson, but she never ruptured my eardrums like Nadolny's shrill voice did.
I'm only partially exaggerating on that remark too; Nadolny's performance as Gohan at times was legitimately physically painful for me to listen to at times.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:37 pm

By far the best English voice of young Goku and Gohan, though I personally do not find there to be much competition on that front. I didn't mind Nadolny as Goku, but I found her Gohan unfitting until late-Cell arc. Her 18 is fine, I suppose. I can barely remember it, and I assume she was just imitating how Meredith McCoy portrayed the character.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:15 pm

I still prefer Saffron Henderson, and even if someone who's definitely better does come along, I will probably still prefer Henderson.

But, Clinkenbeard does a great job. Nadolny was not a good actress(At least, not in Dragon Ball. Maybe she is elsewhere, I have no idea), and her voice did not sound like a 5-year-old. Could be believable as a 12-year-old, so I give her portrayal of Goku some slack there, but Clinkenbeard is just a massive improvement as Gohan in every way.
As Goku, as I said, Nadolny's voice works okay as Goku, but the voice is only about 30% of why a given voice actor is a good voice actor, the rest is all down to their acting. Unfortunately, Nadolny did not act well in Dragon Ball, so I'd say Clinkenbeard is an improvement there too.

I'm quite sad Kai didn't cover the pre-Raditz material, since having Clinkenbeard do kid Goku's full run would have been really cool to see.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:39 pm

Robo4900 wrote:Unfortunately, Nadolny did not act well in Dragon Ball, so I'd say Clinkenbeard is an improvement there too.
There are a lot of narmy and stilted performances, but personally I always interpreted that as reflecting Goku's uneducated country bumpkin nature without making him sound like he came from Texas.
Robo4900 wrote:I'm quite sad Kai didn't cover the pre-Raditz material, since having Clinkenbeard do kid Goku's full run would have been really cool to see.
My god don't scare me like that! It's weird enough hearing Clinkenbeard as Goku in Curse of the Blood Rubies!

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:45 pm

KBABZ wrote:There are a lot of narmy and stilted performances, but personally I always interpreted that as reflecting Goku's uneducated country bumpkin nature without making him sound like he came from Texas.
Sure, but like most of the Funi cast at the time, she sounded like she was just reading the lines off the page.
KBABZ wrote:My god don't scare me like that! It's weird enough hearing Clinkenbeard as Goku in Curse of the Blood Rubies!
:P

Like all the great Kai-era recasts, you'd get used to her.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

The One and Only Nam

Post by The One and Only Nam » Sat Apr 28, 2018 8:34 pm

I grew up with Stephany Nadolny as Son Gohan so I'm more orientated to her performance

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 2:55 am

I can understand people choosing Clinkenbeard for Gohan even if I still prefer Nadolny myself. But for Kid Goku? No contest Nadolny. Hearing Clinkenbeard in the games (which I believe outside a few minor times in Super would be her only performance as Kid Goku) is jarring and she just sounds awful. Nadolny's laugh and playful and innocent voice really contributed to Goku's character in my opinion and I'd like to know where people think there are examples of poor acting, I can't remember thinking to myself yeah that was an awkwardly delivered line.

She also had a more modified script than actors would have had from the Kai era onwards.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Apr 29, 2018 6:48 am

nato25 wrote:Hearing Clinkenbeard in the games (which I believe outside a few minor times in Super would be her only performance as Kid Goku)
She has some contributions in Kai too, namely in the DB recap, the "Gero's been surveying Goku" flashback, the Pilaf and Daimao aftermath flashbacks after Cell's been defeated, and the Announcer's "I am the Champ!" flashback when he sees Goten in the ring. Amazingly there was one flashback where they kept Nadolny's performance, but I can't remember what it was!

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:02 am

nato25 wrote:Hearing Clinkenbeard in the games (which I believe outside a few minor times in Super would be her only performance as Kid Goku) is jarring and she just sounds awful..
They redubbed Curse Blood Rubies in 2010 with the Kai cast including Clinkenbeard as Kid Goku. Also in the first episode of Kai during the recap of Dragon Ball,Kid Goku’s laughs when he’s swinging down a vine are hers.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:15 pm

Not impressed. She makes Gohan sound like a little girl. The other one was far better.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Sun Apr 29, 2018 3:59 pm

Bullza wrote:Not impressed. She makes Gohan sound like a little girl. The other one was far better.
Little boys especially at Gohan’s age in the beginning of Z, can have pretty high pitched girly voices. Have you ever heard a little boy (and I mean like early grade school/preschool not middle school) speak before?

Like, I still don’t get how people are bothered by Clinkenbeard’s Gohan sounding feminine but Nadolyny makes Gohan sound like Patty and Selma had a 3way with Naruto and that’s just on point for a 4-year old?

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Sun Apr 29, 2018 4:55 pm

I like her Gohan, it feels natural. I'm not a big fan of her kid Goku, she doesn't seem to add to the child like goku like the other voice actress did. But her Gohan I think is spot on.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Tian
Advanced Regular

Post by Tian » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:35 am

I liked her kid Gohan but I'm not a fan of her preteen Gohan and kid Goku. I prefer Stephanie Nadolny for the latter two.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Sat May 12, 2018 12:57 am

Colleen Clinkenbeard is the best Gohan, people keep saying teen Gohan but he is only 11 at the end before it goes to the Buu Saga so her voice still fits perfectly even after the Saiyan Saga
However, Stephanie Nadolny is the best Kid Goku
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Sat May 12, 2018 11:54 am

She did and still does an excellent job as Kid Gohan and has improved a lot as Kid Goku to the point where I wish they would redub the OG series and GT with her.
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

ulisa
Beyond Newbie

Post by ulisa » Mon May 14, 2018 3:56 pm

I was not a fan of Clickenbeard when I first heard her Gohan, mainly because it was very different from Nadolny. Since then, I’ve grown accustomed to it and I do feel she does a good job...but I still prefer Nadolny. I really can’t pinpoint why but Clickenbeard’s voice just doesn’t connect with me as well nor do I think it necessarily fits Gohan any better. As odd as it may sound, it feels to me like Nadolny and Schemmel had better chemistry in the scenes they were together. I don’t feel as much emotion from him and Clickenbeard’s. I can enjoy her performance in Kai but Nadolny is my preference.

I REALLY don’t like her 18 or young Goku. She may be more fitting in sounding 18’s age but I think McCoy captured the personality better. Her young Goku I just can’t get behind. It doesn’t suit, in my opinion.
We truly begin to live when we find something we're willing to die for

gohann
Beyond Newbie

Post by gohann » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:30 am

Great as Princess Snake, not so much as others. Her 18 voice is all wrong for the character, her Kid Gohan is somewhat tolerable when speaking normally, but irritating otherwise. Her Kid Goku, aside from sounding way too similar to her Gohan (and Luffy, but that's another franchise) is the worst, she's way too screechy and feminine, can't convey any emotions outside of annoyed and pissed off, and her battle cries sound more like temper tantrums. It makes the character really seem one-dimensional and drains all of his likability away.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:24 pm

She's fine as Princess Snake and Zangya.

not a fan of her 18. Most of her adult women voices tend to sound exactly the same and while her acting is fine I'm not a fan of the voice itself.

Her Gohan has grown on me over the years. But going by the redub of DB Movie 1 and XV2, can't stand her Goku.

Spider-Man
Regular

Post by Spider-Man » Tue Jun 12, 2018 3:40 pm

She's alright as Gohan but she's way too screechy and it could be a bit ear grating and I'm not really a huge fun of her 18 and Kid Goku performance.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:12 am

Her Gohan took the longest to get used too out of all the recasts but now I really love it. Her #18 is really good too dare I say even slightly better than McCoy... Her Goku I see potential, if she had a full swing at it I think she would do well.