Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Thoughts on Colleen Clinkenbeard?

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:57 am

DragonBallKing wrote:She's a very good actress whether you like her boy voices or not, she's able to put so much energy and emotion into not only Gohan but Luffy as well. I honestly never thought her boy voices sounded feminine but rather High pitched similar to Nozawa. Saffron might have had the better voice but Coleen brings more energy to the character. I really like her performance as both 18 and Gohan, but her Goku I have mixed feelings about. I'm honestly surprised at the amount of users who like her Gohan and 18 since coming to Kanzenshuu, much different compared to anywhere else where her 18, Gohan and Luffy get shit on constantly.
These fans who hate #18 and Gohan in Kai are mostly Z Dub fans who hate Kai.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:15 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:I prefer Henderson because she's not that grating unlike Clinkenbeard's take.
I found Clinkenbeard's Gohan grating in a good way since it kinda reminds me, "Oh, yeah, he's still just a kid in the end."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:55 pm

matt0044 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I prefer Henderson because she's not that grating unlike Clinkenbeard's take.
I found Clinkenbeard's Gohan grating in a good way since it kinda reminds me, "Oh, yeah, he's still just a kid in the end."
Agreed. I like the "papery" feel in Clinkenbeard's voice, and she's able to do a great evolution of the character's voice from the four year old in the first episode to the Super Saiyan 2 at the end of Cell. It's like witnessing him growing up!

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat Oct 07, 2017 7:18 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Lee has been voicing for a long time and famous for Faye Valentine Role in Cowboy Bebop Dub and also her Bulma sounds way better than Tiffany Volmer's scratchy rough raspy voice.
Yeah, I know she voiced Faye. Unpopular opinion, but I love to watch Cowboy Bebop way more in Japanese. I just love Koichi Yamadera and Megumi Hayashibara's voices. They're so good and are also great singers.
I am not one of those who thinks Cowboy Bebop Better in Dub because I like a lot of Japanese voices too like Norio Wakamoto's Vicious,etc. But Steven Blum is good too because of that smooth Stylish voice he Gave Spike in dub
And Wendee Lee is good too as Faye, but Megumi Hayashibara is just amazing.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:55 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: Yeah, I know she voiced Faye. Unpopular opinion, but I love to watch Cowboy Bebop way more in Japanese. I just love Koichi Yamadera and Megumi Hayashibara's voices. They're so good and are also great singers.
I am not one of those who thinks Cowboy Bebop Better in Dub because I like a lot of Japanese voices too like Norio Wakamoto's Vicious,etc. But Steven Blum is good too because of that smooth Stylish voice he Gave Spike in dub
Every Role Hayashibara does has such a charm in it.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:39 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: I am not one of those who thinks Cowboy Bebop Better in Dub because I like a lot of Japanese voices too like Norio Wakamoto's Vicious,etc. But Steven Blum is good too because of that smooth Stylish voice he Gave Spike in dub
I could listen to that woman talk all day. Same thing with Atsuko Tanaka and Kotono Mitsuishi.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:32 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: And Wendee Lee is good too as Faye, but Megumi Hayashibara is just amazing.
I could listen to that woman talk all day. Same thing with Atsuko Tanaka and Kotono Mitsuishi.
Seriously, I started watching Shaman King when I saw she was in it, I also rewatched few of the older pokemon movies in Japanese when I found out she voiced Jessie/Musashi. She also voiced the little blind kid that Majin Buu healed.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:48 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Every Role Hayashibara does has such a charm in it.
Seriously, I started watching Shaman King when I saw she was in it, I also rewatched few of the older pokemon movies in Japanese when I found out she voiced Jessie/Musashi. She also voiced the little blind kid that Majin Buu healed.
Hard to believe that Faye Valentine voiced that little blind kid, huh?

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:19 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: And Wendee Lee is good too as Faye, but Megumi Hayashibara is just amazing.
Rei Ayanami,Musashi and Paprika and also, young Genkai.
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I could listen to that woman talk all day. Same thing with Atsuko Tanaka and Kotono Mitsuishi.
I didn't even knew about her voicing blind kid before I searched it up, I wish she got to voice some major Role in DB Series but Dragon Ball is such a Male Dominanated Series that there are hardly Any Woman in it other than Blooma, Chi Chi, Videl and Lazuli compared to no. of Females in Maybe Naruto and One Piece.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:09 am

My only issue with Colleen is that she changed how 18 sounded for TFC. It's like they were having her do a McCoy impression to help prepare for Super, but they might as well have just used McCoy if that's the case. Anyway, her Gohan and 18 were huge improvements and she fit Cell Saga Gohan just fine, if you pay attention even a little you'll notice she very effectively changes her pitch to match Gohan's age

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:26 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: Seriously, I started watching Shaman King when I saw she was in it, I also rewatched few of the older pokemon movies in Japanese when I found out she voiced Jessie/Musashi. She also voiced the little blind kid that Majin Buu healed.
I didn't even knew about her voicing blind kid before I searched it up, I wish she got to voice some major Role in DB Series but Dragon Ball is such a Male Dominanated Series that there are hardly Any Woman in it other than Blooma, Chi Chi, Videl and Lazuli compared to no. of Females in Maybe Naruto and One Piece.
Musashi is not some of her best work IMO. She's good in that role, but then she has to work with repetitive and terrible material. I wonder why people still watch the Pokemon anime. No offense to the people who like it, but I have a hard time believing there's any value in that show.

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:06 pm

Forte224 wrote:My only issue with Colleen is that she changed how 18 sounded for TFC. It's like they were having her do a McCoy impression to help prepare for Super, but they might as well have just used McCoy if that's the case. Anyway, her Gohan and 18 were huge improvements and she fit Cell Saga Gohan just fine, if you pay attention even a little you'll notice she very effectively changes her pitch to match Gohan's age
I wonder why they brought back McCoy when they were pretty set with Clinkenbeard as 18 then. No offense to the former actress but it's just weird. Oolong's one thing, he's a bit player by Buu with little to no lines.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:33 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: I could listen to that woman talk all day. Same thing with Atsuko Tanaka and Kotono Mitsuishi.
8000 Saiyan wrote: Hard to believe that Faye Valentine voiced that little blind kid, huh?
Musashi is not some of her best work IMO. She's good in that role, but then she has to work with repetitive and terrible material. I wonder why people still watch the Pokemon anime. No offense to the people who like it, but I have a hard time believing there's any value in that show.
I just decided to rewatch the first 3 movies for nostalgia's sake, but I watched them in Japanese this time because 4kids used a replacement score for those movies.
Mewtwo's theme is just epic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJmpV6n ... E44A65B876
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:10 pm

matt0044 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:My only issue with Colleen is that she changed how 18 sounded for TFC. It's like they were having her do a McCoy impression to help prepare for Super, but they might as well have just used McCoy if that's the case. Anyway, her Gohan and 18 were huge improvements and she fit Cell Saga Gohan just fine, if you pay attention even a little you'll notice she very effectively changes her pitch to match Gohan's age
I wonder why they brought back McCoy when they were pretty set with Clinkenbeard as 18 then. No offense to the former actress but it's just weird. Oolong's one thing, he's a bit player by Buu with little to no lines.
McCoy is pretty well loved by the OG dub fans and she most likely would've been used in Kai from the start but it seems she wasn't available. So Clinkenbeard was essentially a stand in for McCoy and was kept in TFC I assume to keep all of Kai consistent

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:35 pm

matt0044 wrote:
For me it went in and out. There were times where he spoke and it sounded fine, and reminded me of the Japanese voice he had when it was soft and meek, but then when she got angry and yelled as Gohan, thats when it got grating. In a bad way. She was just way to high-pitched in those extremes for me, where as Nadonly knew how to scream in the right pitch, for a boy character and one that wasn't painful to listen to.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:56 am

matt0044 wrote:
Because I'm pretty sure they only replaced her with Clinkenbeard because of a last-minute thing making her unable to come back. I think I read that they wanted her, McCoy, to come back, but she was unable to at the time for some reason, so they had Colleen do an imitation to fill in due to the timing of the dub recording to get it broadcasted on TV when Nicktoons had the show. Then they had her come back for TFC to keep with the vocal continuity.
Oolong's a different case because, while in Z he doesn't have as many lines as DB in the first place outside of filler, I'm guessing, his replacement VA wasn't a good fit, so no one in the audience was going to miss him over Jackson. Besides, his replacement VA, it sounds like, was just trying to do an imitation of him anyways, & a bad one at that, so it's not like he's gonna be missed.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:59 am

Forte224 wrote:
matt0044 wrote:
McCoy is pretty well loved by the OG dub fans and she most likely would've been used in Kai from the start but it seems she wasn't available. So Clinkenbeard was essentially a stand in for McCoy and was kept in TFC I assume to keep all of Kai consistent
I found McCoy's #18 very bland in Z Dub Specially Cell though she got better in the Boo Arc. I would rather prefer Clinkenbeard because McCoy used her Lunch voice everytime she had to make #18 sound angry.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:24 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
matt0044 wrote: I wonder why they brought back McCoy when they were pretty set with Clinkenbeard as 18 then. No offense to the former actress but it's just weird. Oolong's one thing, he's a bit player by Buu with little to no lines.
I found McCoy's #18 very bland in Z Dub Specially Cell though she got better in the Boo Arc. I would rather prefer Clinkenbeard because McCoy used her Lunch voice everytime she had to make #18 sound angry.
I mean I agree with you, but I was just explaining why it was the case. McCoy is good enough considering the small role she plays in Super, even in the ToP and it makes the old school dub fans happy. Now if they changed Freeza back to Linda Young or something, that would be an issue

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:10 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote: Seriously, I started watching Shaman King when I saw she was in it, I also rewatched few of the older pokemon movies in Japanese when I found out she voiced Jessie/Musashi. She also voiced the little blind kid that Majin Buu healed.
As good as Yuriko Yamaguchi is in the role, I think Hayashibara would have also been a great Vados.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:47 pm

Yesterday I watched a fair chunk of Funimation's 2009 dub of Blood Rubies. Clinkenbeard does a good job as Kid Goku, but I can't disassociate the Gohan Connection, and I prefer Nadolny's more stilted, naive and fun-loving approach.

Also not sure if it was mentioned here at all, but Rial's take on Bulma doesn't quite work for her teenage years like Vollmer's did. Does a fantastic mature Bulma in Z though!