Could the green tint be intentional?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheRed259
Advanced Regular

Could the green tint be intentional?

Post by TheRed259 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:53 pm

Could the green tint be intentional in the Buu arc of Kai? Could this be Toei's idea in order to present the Buu arc as something different?
After all, Toei is doing the same thing now with Super, right? They are using new filters for the Universe Survival arc. What do you think?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Could the green tint be intentional?

Post by DHM211 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:02 pm

TheRed259 wrote:Could the green tint be intentional in the Buu arc of Kai? Could this be Toei's idea in order to present the Buu arc as something different?
After all, Toei is doing the same thing now with Super, right? They are using new filters for the Universe Survival arc. What do you think?
Highly doubtful. Why not put a green tint on the opening and ending, like they put the new filter on Super's opening and ending?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:34 pm

No, I don't see that being the case at all. The tint just seems to be the result of improperly calibrated displays or someone who simply didn't understand what the colours were supposed to be.

Whoever corrected the sets obviously knew what they were doing enough to create this palette consistently across each episode. While there issues in places that really shouldn't have ever gotten by a professional, it really does just seem like a huge error in judgement.

When you remove the tint, there's a fairly competent scan and clean-up job. Far from perfect, and there huge oversights that reek of a rush job, but it's not the worst thing in the world.

Whatever this tint is about, it's also certainly not anything to do with creating some unique colour palette.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:05 pm

The green tint sucks, but I don't think it's as bad as the Kid Buu episodes of the Dragon Box, which had an even greener tint:

DBOX:

Kai:

Obviously, not the same shots, but still indicative of the colors.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:42 am

Metalwario64 wrote:The green tint sucks, but I don't think it's as bad as the Kid Buu episodes of the Dragon Box, which had an even greener tint:
[spoiler]DBOX:
Kai:
Image[/spoiler]
Obviously, not the same shots, but still indicative of the colors.
Honestly, I think the Kai shot is worse. A simple curve adjustment to the DB screenshot more or less fixes that issue whereas the Kai screenshot is not fixed by removing a simple color cast, but requires a complete overhaul in terms of color correction (not to mention the whites nearly being crushed). The footage is essentially the Funimation Blu Rays with better DNR but insanely worse color correction to the point of basically being unworkable. I did a simple cast removal using Photoshop curves from the whites and blacks of both the DB and Kai shots to demonstrate what I mean.
[spoiler]DB Curve Correction:

Kai Curve Correction:
Image[/spoiler]

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:52 am

The difference with Kai's tint is that the Dragon Box's color casts are usually in the upper range of colors, but Kai's is right in the middle, which means this has to be done to correct it:

In GIMP, I pulled down the green a bit right in the middle of the color curves. That eliminates the tint (which is why it's likely that it was tinted due to improperly calibrated monitors at Toei).
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

MrWalnut4
Beyond Newbie

Post by MrWalnut4 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:51 pm

I hadn't actually considered trying that as a solution to remove the tint before. I might have been a bit hyperbolic in saying that it's unworkable if something as simple as that can fix a good portion of the issues.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:24 pm

While simply pulling the greens back does do a pretty good job, it doesn't fix some of the major issues with the remaster, frustratingly.

For example, the red channel is super saturated for some reason. I have the French set, and I think the perfect example from the entire series is Oob's skin colour right at the end. Even with the tint removed, he's luminous red. You'll notice it on Goku's gi a lot, too. The colours are clipping. It's... kinda crazy.

Similarly, the greens were independently adjusted, so you have to reign those in to an extent. It's like the tint is one part of the issue, and after that, you have to reverse the other craziness.

I've finally finished doing it, so now my life is just staring at a render window. :(
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:34 pm

I personally don't feel that it's worth it to color correct Buu Kai since the thing is cropped anyway; it's like trying to polish something that's already been irredeemably butchered. But what would really be cool is Dragon Box footage color corrected to imitate Kai 1.0's colors and synced to Buu Kai.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:08 am

Cropped, yes, but it still has better contrast than the Dragon Box transfers, so color correcting would still be worth it.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:17 pm

thaman91 wrote:I personally don't feel that it's worth it to color correct Buu Kai since the thing is cropped anyway; it's like trying to polish something that's already been irredeemably butchered. But what would really be cool is Dragon Box footage color corrected to imitate Kai 1.0's colors and synced to Buu Kai.
It's not like cropping is the end of the world, especially with Kai. The vast majority of scenes still hold up fine in their composition, it's worth color correction.
Retired.