Should Kai Have Been Reanimated?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Luffy123

Re: Should Kai Have Been Reanimated?

Post by Luffy123 » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:36 am

I mean Toei is a completely different studio than it was early 2000's i think something to do with change of CEO or something happened behind the scenes.

They butchered One Piece, Toriko, World Trigger and DB Kai Buu Saga

they have done some good like in they OVA and movie department, however, series not so much. Toei animation has a lot of management problems and they assistance long ongoing anime even though its hurting the quality of the show big time.

Toriko a fantastic manga got butchered pretty hard, World Trigger the pacing is actually unbelievable for a new anime but its actually a pretty fun and smart manga, One piece they huge money maker and one of the best shounen manga of all time.

If Toei starts to do seasonal anime then maybe, however now they r improving with the latter half of super despite being poorly paced and doing a huge migration of buildings so the equipment must be better and Gegege no Kitarou (2018) animation is pretty solid atm and got decent pacing so they is good news for the studio.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:32 am

I like the way OG Kai looks, they cleaned up the animation and colours nicely. The main thing I wish they'd done is cover the entire series, ideally the whole manga from start to finish but AT LEAST all of Z, because The Final Chapters is awful and there still isn't a good way to watch the Buu arc.

If they'd put real effort in and planned ahead, maybe even done a seasonal format, a gamble on new animation would have been worth it, but for Kai 1-98 at least animation isn't my complaint.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:34 am

Metalwario64 wrote:If Kai had been reanimated, I would have preferred for them to do what Jojo did and try to match the art with how it evolved in the manga, but I'm certain that if Toei had reanimated Kai, they would have forced in Yamamuro's current character designs.
Problem is, most younger fans probably adore Yamamuro's designs because that is what they are familiar with. With that said, I know that Toei is not David Productions and would be unable to reanimate the original manga with the level of respect Jojo got. I am actually amazed Jojo used the art syles for each particular era because I knew Dragon Ball doesn't get the same treatment (nor do the majority fans appreciate Dragon Ball's older art styles from what I have seen).

However, with the new Dragon Ball movie, and the change in designs, maybe Toei is more open to other designs other than it looking like the Buu-GT era.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:07 pm

If it looked as good as the opening it should have been.

It wouldn't have though.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Tue Apr 24, 2018 9:27 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:If it looked as good as the opening it should have been.
HA! Ha ha ha, ha. Yeah some of the animation in the opening isn't that great. The drawings are great, but some of the actual animation, like Gohan jumping off onto Goku, is pretty jank.

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:35 am

KBABZ wrote:
MasenkoHA wrote:If it looked as good as the opening it should have been.
HA! Ha ha ha, ha. Yeah some of the animation in the opening isn't that great. The drawings are great, but some of the actual animation, like Gohan jumping off onto Goku, is pretty jank.
It's modern Yamamuro that makes it bad by default. Just for that alone it shouldn't have been reanimated.
When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):