Am I just crazy or does Clinkenbeard's 18 sound different in TFC?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Am I just crazy or does Clinkenbeard's 18 sound different in TFC?

Post by Forte224 » Sun May 07, 2017 7:28 pm

It stood out to me immediately. Her voice sounds deeper than it did back in the Android/Cell arc of Kai. Weird change:

Android arc:
https://youtu.be/uYZi6b3M4g4?t=131

TFC:
https://youtu.be/fcg9HJD3DPI?t=94

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Re: Am I just crazy or does Clinkenbeard's 18 sound different in TFC?

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Mon May 08, 2017 1:45 am

Yes! I thought the same thing. Matter of fact, I'll just quote my post in the Colleen Clinkenbeard thread from a few days ago:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Though, is it just me, or was Colleen voicing her somewhat differently in TFC during the tournament? That may have had something to do with how 18 is in the scenes themselves, but it sounded like she was voicing her a tad deeper than usual, almost like she was mimicking McCoy. Not to mention, she came dangerously close to sounding like her Gohan during the fight with Goten and Trunks, which I never once noticed during the Android/Cell arc of Kai. I don't know... maybe I'm hearing things that aren't there, but it kind of bummed me out. Her acting was still great, though, so I'm happy with it.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:21 pm

IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Yes! I thought the same thing. Matter of fact, I'll just quote my post in the Colleen Clinkenbeard thread from a few days ago:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Though, is it just me, or was Colleen voicing her somewhat differently in TFC during the tournament? That may have had something to do with how 18 is in the scenes themselves, but it sounded like she was voicing her a tad deeper than usual, almost like she was mimicking McCoy. Not to mention, she came dangerously close to sounding like her Gohan during the fight with Goten and Trunks, which I never once noticed during the Android/Cell arc of Kai. I don't know... maybe I'm hearing things that aren't there, but it kind of bummed me out. Her acting was still great, though, so I'm happy with it.
Ah good I'm not crazy then. To be fair, I quite like the way she's voicing 18 in TFC, it fits her character a little better, but the consistency is lost is all. At least they still brought her back for consistency's sake instead of using McCoy whom they had just used in BoG

Lance99

Post by Lance99 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:12 am

I'd wager it sounds different more due to realistic acting. Keep in mind, this is seven years after the Android/Cell arc. :P Though I do find the jump from Clinkenbeard to McCoy from TFC to Super more jarring, but nothing that makes either show unwatchable, IMO.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 10, 2017 6:33 am

Forte224 wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote:Yes! I thought the same thing. Matter of fact, I'll just quote my post in the Colleen Clinkenbeard thread from a few days ago:
Ah good I'm not crazy then. To be fair, I quite like the way she's voicing 18 in TFC, it fits her character a little better, but the consistency is lost is all. At least they still brought her back for consistency's sake instead of using McCoy whom they had just used in BoG
Buu Kai started dub production in 2013 while BoG in 2014 it seems McCoy wasn't free until 2014, by then Buu Kai was already underway.

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Wed May 10, 2017 8:08 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Forte224 wrote:
Buu Kai started dub production in 2013 while BoG in 2014 it seems McCoy wasn't free until 2014, by then Buu Kai was already underway.
Still though, I can't help but feel she was brought back for the sake of consistency with the rest of Kai. At least that's what I keep telling myself

funrush
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by funrush » Fri May 26, 2017 12:23 am

It sounds almost like she's playing the role more lowkey as to blur the line between her version and McCoy's.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:53 pm

I don't know who anyone is here, btu I will just say that I thought TFC's #18 was played by the same voice actress who played her in Z/Super/BoG/RoF. Kai's voice actress was very different and it seemed (to me) like it didn't fit her.

I take it I'm wrong? I like TFC's #18. I did not like Kai "1.0"'s #18.