Why the dub for Z is inferior to Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why the dub for Z is inferior to Kai

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:44 am

8000 Saiyan wrote:Is this thread really necessary? I think we all know why the Kai dub is better. Better acting, better direction, better scripts...My only gripe is that they didn't recast Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Recoome, Master Roshi, Chi-Chi, 16, King Kai and the Ox-King.
Though I don't mind #16,ChiChi and Tenshinhan Dub Voice in Kai but I definitely agree with Yamcha,King Kai Reacoom, Roshi and Even Fat Boo sounding like they did in Z Dub.

Yamcha voice has that Surfer Dude vibe nothing like Toru Furuya, Reacoom sounds like a Braindead Retard in Both FUNi Dub of Z and Kai but in Ocean Dub David Kaye actually did a pretty good job for Reacoom. King Kai sounds like a Lispy troll who has his mouth and nose stuffed, Ox King sounds too nerdy a more deeper voice can work,Roshi sounds too weak and Frail in Dub just like a one dimensional pervy old man and Fat Boo sounds The worst in Whole FUNi Dub I mean I can't even describe how bad and ear grating the voice is.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:32 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:Is this thread really necessary? I think we all know why the Kai dub is better. Better acting, better direction, better scripts...My only gripe is that they didn't recast Yamcha, Tenshinhan, Recoome, Master Roshi, Chi-Chi, 16, King Kai and the Ox-King.
Though I don't mind #16,ChiChi and Tenshinhan Dub Voice in Kai but I definitely agree with Yamcha,King Kai Reacoom, Roshi and Even Fat Boo sounding like they did in Z Dub.

Yamcha voice has that Surfer Dude vibe nothing like Toru Furuya, Reacoom sounds like a Braindead Retard in Both FUNi Dub of Z and Kai but in Ocean Dub David Kaye actually did a pretty good job for Reacoom. King Kai sounds like a Lispy troll who has his mouth and nose stuffed, Ox King sounds too nerdy a more deeper voice can work,Roshi sounds too weak and Frail in Dub just like a one dimensional pervy old man and Fat Boo sounds The worst in Whole FUNi Dub I mean I can't even describe how bad and ear grating the voice is.
It's a shame, with funi's larger voice actor pool nowadays they could have easily recast all of those, at this point Sabat really doesn't have to voice anyone but vegeta, piccolo, and shen long
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:57 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:

BSabat's Yamcha voice bugs the hell out of me because of that. It doesn't sound very natural.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:13 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:

BSabat's Yamcha voice bugs the hell out of me because of that. It doesn't sound very natural.
Oh yes Definitely Yamcha sounds so Awesome in Subs and bad in dub its like FUNimation doesn't care for good voice casting for these characters but instead wants to save cost and let Sabat do the Voices for them
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: Though I don't mind #16,ChiChi and Tenshinhan Dub Voice in Kai but I definitely agree with Yamcha,King Kai Reacoom, Roshi and Even Fat Boo sounding like they did in Z Dub.

Oh yes Definitely Yamcha sounds so Awesome in Subs and bad in dub its like FUNimation doesn't care for good voice casting for these characters but instead wants to save cost and let Sabat do the Voices for them
It's amazing that Furuya still sounds youthful in his sixties.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:55 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: BSabat's Yamcha voice bugs the hell out of me because of that. It doesn't sound very natural.

It's amazing that Furuya still sounds youthful in his sixties
Yes him,Toshio Furukawa, Ryusei Nakao and even Masako Nozawa do a great job considering their age.

GreatSaiyaJeff
Regular

Post by GreatSaiyaJeff » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:06 am

While I do agree that Kai dib is better, I think their are someways they are lacking. When Cell kills 16 in the original dub he says " Another fighter, you could have saved." Compared to Kai when he says " Can it tin can." or something along those lines. I feel like the Z dub had some more of cocky cell prodding Gohan while that Kai line just seems off. That's just me though, I like both dubs because they both have there strengths and weaknesses.
"I just realized something. Honestly... it kinda doesn't matter where I go... whether I'm alive or dead... I'm still pretty dandy." - Space Dandy

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:25 am

GreatSaiyaJeff wrote:While I do agree that Kai dib is better, I think their are someways they are lacking. When Cell kills 16 in the original dub he says " Another fighter, you could have saved." Compared to Kai when he says " Can it tin can." or something along those lines. I feel like the Z dub had some more of cocky cell prodding Gohan while that Kai line just seems off. That's just me though, I like both dubs because they both have there strengths and weaknesses.
That's because in Japanese version he said something like "Nobody asked you worthless Factory Defect" that's why Kai line was supposed to insult #16

Snakeway Skywalker
Beyond Newbie

Post by Snakeway Skywalker » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:00 pm

I like how Chris Sabat's Piccolo voice is basically same as his voice for Zoro. His original Piccolo voice never sounded right to me.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:22 am

Snakeway Skywalker wrote:I like how Chris Sabat's Piccolo voice is basically same as his voice for Zoro. His original Piccolo voice never sounded right to me.
He sounded to forced and Gravelly with a raspy scratchy voice in Z

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:08 am

Snakeway Skywalker wrote:I like how Chris Sabat's Piccolo voice is basically same as his voice for Zoro. His original Piccolo voice never sounded right to me.
I don't watch OP but yeah his Piccolo has gotten good now, I was watching Buu Kai with some family a few weeks ago and they didn't believe Piccolo and Vegeta were voiced by the same guy, and I was like ayt wait for the credits! Testament to Sabat I think. :)

veggiechan

Post by veggiechan » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:07 am

Piccolo sounds like he finally cleared his throat

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 21, 2018 7:21 am

Better voice acting and I don't care what anyone says the voice replacements were a huge improvement with the SOLE exception of Colleen voicing Android 18 instead of Meridith McCoy.

Better music (until the replacement score)

No THIS SUNDAY! SUNDAY! SUNDAY! MONSTER TRUCK RALLEY! Announcer voice

Forte224
Advanced Regular

Post by Forte224 » Fri Mar 23, 2018 6:00 pm

Even for someone that somehow still likes OG Funi better there's no denying that the Kai dub is way more consistent. Vegeta sounds the same from the Saiyan arc to the Boo arc. In the OG dub, Vegeta's voice constantly changes as Sabat tries to alter/improve it. This is the case for a lot of characters. Compare Schemmel's original Goku against the Ginyu Force to his Goku in the redubs of the original episodes. Its jarring and inconsistent. Nothing like that in Kai. Well, except for Clinkenbeard doing a McCoy impression for 18 in TFC. I still can't figure that one out.

Lord Alduin

Post by Lord Alduin » Mon Apr 02, 2018 12:26 am

I've recently semi watched kai but while multi tasking, up until cell arc.
It's been years since I watched Z, I prefer Z as kai cuts out to much of the filler episodes. Kai is a lot more direct.

Voice wise I can't recall any, but I remember I preferred the dbz Freeza voice over kai.

I also preferred the goku ssj transformation on namek, can't recall all details but it just felt they missed out things in kai, the transformation felt much more epic in Z. Perhaps that's nostalgia talking?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:15 pm

Lord Alduin wrote:
Voice wise I can't recall any, but I remember I preferred the dbz Freeza voice over kai.
Of course it's subjective and a matter of preference but I never understood how anyone could prefer Linda Young over Chris Ayres Freeza. I genuinely thought Freeza was suppose to be a woman when DBZ aired on Toonami . Chris Ayres voice just honestly fits it's smug, it's elitist, it's condescending, it sounds cruel. Linda Young's Freeza sounds more befitting like a henchman than a big bad tbh
I guess I can understand why someone would prefer Stephanie's Gohan over Colleen's Gohan even if I don't. I just can't fathom why someone would actually like Young's Freeza better.
I also preferred the goku ssj transformation on namek, can't recall all details but it just felt they missed out things in kai, the transformation felt much more epic in Z. Perhaps that's nostalgia talking?
Again, it's just preference but really the Z dub of that is so, so, bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdr55ZJNq2k&t=2s

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat May 05, 2018 8:19 am

Forte224 wrote:Even for someone that somehow still likes OG Funi better there's no denying that the Kai dub is way more consistent. Vegeta sounds the same from the Saiyan arc to the Boo arc. In the OG dub, Vegeta's voice constantly changes as Sabat tries to alter/improve it. This is the case for a lot of characters. Compare Schemmel's original Goku against the Ginyu Force to his Goku in the redubs of the original episodes. Its jarring and inconsistent. Nothing like that in Kai. Well, except for Clinkenbeard doing a McCoy impression for 18 in TFC. I still can't figure that one out.
tbh, Vegeta voice was more raspy in Saiyan Arc Kai Dub not as much as Z Dub but still rough, but it got better from the Namek Arc onwards.