Are the Dub Changes in Kai TFC Dub an Issue?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Are the Dub Changes in Kai TFC Dub an Issue?

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:54 am

Tobi555 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:Are the lines where Piccolo call's Gotenks "Gohan" and the Super Buu Kamikaze Ghosts mistakenly call Masenko "Galick Gun" fixed?
What parts of the story do those occur? I can check for you!
For Piccolo it's when they're in the Time Chamber, I believe after buu leaves. The other one is when Vegito is chased by Super Buu's Ghosts.
I looked in that episode (146 by Funi's episode count) and Piccolo consistently refers to him as Gotenks. Also checked the one with the ghosts (154) and the ghosts in the canyon correctly call their attack Masenko.

That being said, post-Namek Kai has this annoying tendency to refer to the applicable dub names for certain attacks when they were retained in the Saiyan and Namek sagas. So Mankangosappo becomes Special Beam Cannon when Cell uses it, and Kienzan reverts back to Destructo Disc, even on the uncut Blu-Rays.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:15 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: What parts of the story do those occur? I can check for you!
For Piccolo it's when they're in the Time Chamber, I believe after buu leaves. The other one is when Vegito is chased by Super Buu's Ghosts.
I looked in that episode (146 by Funi's episode count) and Piccolo consistently refers to him as Gotenks. Also checked the one with the ghosts (154) and the ghosts in the canyon correctly call their attack Masenko.

That being said, post-Namek Kai has this annoying tendency to refer to the applicable dub names for certain attacks when they were retained in the Saiyan and Namek sagas. So Mankangosappo becomes Special Beam Cannon when Cell uses it, and Kienzan reverts back to Destructo Disc, even on the uncut Blu-Rays.
You forget though that the original names are only used for the attack debuts, then switch to their dub names for no reason afterwards.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Tobi555
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tobi555 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:10 pm

KBABZ wrote:
Tobi555 wrote:
KBABZ wrote: What parts of the story do those occur? I can check for you!

I see, I appreciate you checking it, thanks! :) Yea don't know why they didn't keep it consistent.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:17 pm

KBABZ wrote: That being said, post-Namek Kai has this annoying tendency to refer to the applicable dub names for certain attacks when they were retained in the Saiyan and Namek sagas. So Mankangosappo becomes Special Beam Cannon when Cell uses it, and Kienzan reverts back to Destructo Disc, even on the uncut Blu-Rays.
And then there was Solar Flare on Earth becoming Taiyo-Ken on Namek and then changing back to Solar Flare in the Cell Arc. It seems like they were experimenting with the original attack names for some of them but then changed their mind when they hit Cell and just decided it'd be easier to stick to the English names.

(Also, on a side note, it's kind of ironic that in the Z dub, Cell calls it the Kienzan Disc in that scene.)
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:40 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:And then there was Solar Flare on Earth becoming Taiyo-Ken on Namek and then changing back to Solar Flare in the Cell Arc. It seems like they were experimenting with the original attack names for some of them but then changed their mind when they hit Cell and just decided it'd be easier to stick to the English names.
Yeah it's weird, I prefer the original names at this point, particularly for "Special Beam Cannon" that feels like some auto-generated Street Fighter attack for some character nobody plays as. I get that they'd be different on air (that's where they put Over 9,000), but on Blu-Ray you'd expect it to be 100% faithful, right? Or at least, consistent?

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:09 am

Valerius Dover wrote:
KBABZ wrote: That being said, post-Namek Kai has this annoying tendency to refer to the applicable dub names for certain attacks when they were retained in the Saiyan and Namek sagas. So Mankangosappo becomes Special Beam Cannon when Cell uses it, and Kienzan reverts back to Destructo Disc, even on the uncut Blu-Rays.

(Also, on a side note, it's kind of ironic that in the Z dub, Cell calls it the Kienzan Disc in that scene.)
when?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

BeerusTrinken

Post by BeerusTrinken » Wed Jan 17, 2018 4:24 am

Tobi555 wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
Tobi555 wrote: For Piccolo it's when they're in the Time Chamber, I believe after buu leaves. The other one is when Vegito is chased by Super Buu's Ghosts.

I see, I appreciate you checking it, thanks! :) Yea don't know why they didn't keep it consistent.
I think it was to keep both camps happy. Two sets of fans grew up with two different sets of names. I'd imagine FUNi decided to use both names in order to please both. Given that Japanese-dub fans have a slightly stronger history of being, shall we say, "purist", it made sense to give the debut names their Japanese titles to add a sense of legitimacy to that version of the names.

Of course, keeping the names in Japanese probably would have been more in fitting with the mantra of the ZKai dub, but I understand their dilemma.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:11 am

BeerusTrinken wrote:Of course, keeping the names in Japanese probably would have been more in fitting with the mantra of the ZKai dub, but I understand their dilemma.
It would have made sense for it to be accurate on the Blu-Ray, where it was uncensored and they retained other things like "Over 8,000!".

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:19 pm

I don't think ANYONE would complain about hearing a character yell out "Kienzan" in place of "Distructo Disc" nowadays, tho. Most people are probably either used to the Japanese name, never seen DB before, don't remember the English dub THAT well, or just don't care. It's really only the voices people care about. Even the music is gonna get far more complaints than the name of some attack Kulilin uses. Maybe if they changed Spirit Bomb to Genki Dama there'd be an issue, but that's about it. Goku's attacks (and maybe Vegeta's) are really all people seem to remember.
Fionordequester wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:People don't actually care about the dub matching the plot though and only care about funny memes
Well duh. We HAVE spent like, 20-30 years re-watching the SAME show, over, and over, and over again :P
Well, not in English. Kai was our one chance to get an accurately translated story, and characters with the same personalities as Toriyama wrote, in an English dub. If people want to watch a parody, they can watch TFS's DBZ Abridged. Reminds me of the day Funimation deputed the English dub of Kai. It was at a special event at Sakura-Con in Washington, and I was there...but I couldn't really hear the voices/acting/dialogue over the other guys in the room all yelling out jokes from TFS and other internet videoes. It was really irritating. I just want to watch Dragon Ball in my native language, please. Is that so much to ask? -_-
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:22 am

linkdude20002001 wrote:Kai was our one chance to get an accurately translated story, and characters with the same personalities as Toriyama wrote, in an English dub.
Well, you say one chance... Ocean's version will probably start airing this year. Who knows, it might be just as good as Funi's... :)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jan 25, 2018 8:44 am

KBABZ wrote:
Valerius Dover wrote:And then there was Solar Flare on Earth becoming Taiyo-Ken on Namek and then changing back to Solar Flare in the Cell Arc. It seems like they were experimenting with the original attack names for some of them but then changed their mind when they hit Cell and just decided it'd be easier to stick to the English names.
Yeah it's weird, I prefer the original names at this point, particularly for "Special Beam Cannon" that feels like some auto-generated Street Fighter attack for some character nobody plays as. I get that they'd be different on air (that's where they put Over 9,000), but on Blu-Ray you'd expect it to be 100% faithful, right? Or at least, consistent?
From what I read around the Cell arc they were really struggling to keep up, there were instances where Schemmel had to record when ill from what I remember people saying and I guess they couldn't go back and to do touch ups, they had to produce uncut and cut dubs so they probably decided that it was best to save time by reverting the attack names especially given they were struggling to keep up.

But now (post-Kai) I guess they've kind of just stuck to it unfortunately.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
From what I read around the Cell arc they were really struggling to keep up, there were instances where Schemmel had to record when ill from what I remember people saying and I guess they couldn't go back and to do touch ups, they had to produce uncut and cut dubs so they probably decided that it was best to save time by reverting the attack names especially given they were struggling to keep up.

But now (post-Kai) I guess they've kind of just stuck to it unfortunately.
I thought Sean was sick when doing the original Funi dub?