Are the Dub Changes in Kai TFC Dub an Issue?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Re: Are the Dub Changes in Kai TFC Dub an Issue?

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Tue Jul 04, 2017 4:52 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
IAmTheMilkMan wrote: What are you referring to, exactly? Maybe I haven't gotten that far in The Final Chapters yet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LeqkSQ8 ... e=youtu.be
what's up with Chris Sabat :lol:
Channeling Lex Luthor from Superman Returns.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:27 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:The only one that bothered me was Vegeta's WRRRROOOOOONNNNG line.
Seriously? I loved that. It was hilarious. I like Vegeta in this dub better than the original Z dub. His lines are funnier.

"You all will feel tired, like you've just finished running. BUT I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY OF YOUR COMPLAINTS."

"WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG."

I know we all have opinions, but I loved this. I laughed for a good while because of it.
It had no place in the scene it was used in. It's supposed to be a serious moment and they decided to act like TFS. His speech to the earthlings was great and actually rude, but that WROOOOOONG was just out of place. People don't actually care about the dub matching the plot though and only care about funny memes

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Jul 04, 2017 8:35 pm

OLKv3 wrote:People don't actually care about the dub matching the plot though and only care about funny memes
Well duh. We HAVE spent like, 20-30 years re-watching the SAME show, over, and over, and over again :P
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:18 pm

OLKv3 wrote:
Seriously? I loved that. It was hilarious. I like Vegeta in this dub better than the original Z dub. His lines are funnier.

"You all will feel tired, like you've just finished running. BUT I DON'T WANT TO HEAR ANY OF YOUR COMPLAINTS."

"WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG."

I know we all have opinions, but I loved this. I laughed for a good while because of it.
It had no place in the scene it was used in. It's supposed to be a serious moment and they decided to act like TFS. His speech to the earthlings was great and actually rude, but that WROOOOOONG was just out of place. People don't actually care about the dub matching the plot though and only care about funny memes
Agreed, they could always put that on bloopers for the blu ray release though.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 3:14 pm

OLKv3 wrote:

"WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG."

Yeah, I completely agree.

The first Kai dub had a few throwaway junk lines (like the Nappa TFS reference and the truck dude), but they were usually in throwaway moments where it never bothered me. In TFC it feels like they were going overboard and just did whatever they wanted, and while it's usually more accurate than the old dub, there are many times where it's less so for the sake of slang, memes, and goofy references.

While the new dub's still overall way better than the old one on acting alone (and I can't get over how good Vegetto sounds, because that took some amazing directing to get their voices and performances to match so closely), there are many cringe-worthy moments in it that I hoped we'd get away from, since the old dub already had a ton of those still.

Plus, it just still feels like they're treating Dragon Ball like it's their own show, because they're still changing characterization and lines whenever they feel like it (like Vegeta telling Trunks he's been hard on him to make him a strong boy, which feels like something season 3 Z dub Vegeta would say). Obviously not to the extent they did years ago, but they shouldn't be doing this at all.

Can anyone tell me if FUNimation punches up the scripts of their dubs of other shows to this extent? I haven't watched many of their other dubs, and especially not from the past 10 or so years. I'm wondering if this they just play around with all of their scripts, or if it's just something that they can't stop doing with Dragon Ball.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:18 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:
OLKv3 wrote:

"WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG."

Yeah, I completely agree.

The first Kai dub had a few throwaway junk lines (like the Nappa TFS reference and the truck dude), but they were usually in throwaway moments where it never bothered me. In TFC it feels like they were going overboard and just did whatever they wanted, and while it's usually more accurate than the old dub, there are many times where it's less so for the sake of slang, memes, and goofy references.

While the new dub's still overall way better than the old one on acting alone (and I can't get over how good Vegetto sounds, because that took some amazing directing to get their voices and performances to match so closely), there are many cringe-worthy moments in it that I hoped we'd get away from, since the old dub already had a ton of those still.

Plus, it just still feels like they're treating Dragon Ball like it's their own show, because they're still changing characterization and lines whenever they feel like it (like Vegeta telling Trunks he's been hard on him to make him a strong boy, which feels like something season 3 Z dub Vegeta would say). Obviously not to the extent they did years ago, but they shouldn't be doing this at all.

Can anyone tell me if FUNimation punches up the scripts of their dubs of other shows to this extent? I haven't watched many of their other dubs, and especially not from the past 10 or so years. I'm wondering if this they just play around with all of their scripts, or if it's just something that they can't stop doing with Dragon Ball.
In their Prison School dub, they had one of their characters mention Gamergate.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:20 pm

Hmm. I guess this is just par for the course for FUNimation then? While it makes me feel a bit better knowing Dragon Ball's not being singled out, it still also sucks that FUNimation takes this approach to dubbing.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Krillin1994
Regular

Post by Krillin1994 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:26 pm

In the Gotenks vs Buu fight when he gets the kamikaze ghosts to pretend they've found food, one of the ghosts suggests it's a doobie and then gets berated by another.

Fairly certain this isn't accurate dubbing but was hilarious.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:29 pm

Metalwario64 wrote:Can anyone tell me if FUNimation punches up the scripts of their dubs of other shows to this extent? I haven't watched many of their other dubs, and especially not from the past 10 or so years. I'm wondering if this they just play around with all of their scripts, or if it's just something that they can't stop doing with Dragon Ball.
I am not sure because all the FUNi dubs I watch the dub is my first and only viewing of the show. But I am sure they do, their dubs are classed as "re-versioning" or "versions", in a video they went through their dubbing process and they said the script writers adapt scripts with western audiences in mind. FUNi's dub aren't meant to be 1:1 with the Japanese, they credit it is as simply a version of it, otherwise dubs would be pointless.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:35 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:Can anyone tell me if FUNimation punches up the scripts of their dubs of other shows to this extent? I haven't watched many of their other dubs, and especially not from the past 10 or so years. I'm wondering if this they just play around with all of their scripts, or if it's just something that they can't stop doing with Dragon Ball.
I am not sure because all the FUNi dubs I watch the dub is my first and only viewing of the show. But I am sure they do, their dubs are classed as "re-versioning" or "versions", in a video they went through their dubbing process and they said the script writers adapt scripts with western audiences in mind. FUNi's dub aren't meant to be 1:1 with the Japanese, they credit it is as simply a version of it, otherwise dubs would be pointless.
No wonder why some people think lowly of Funimation as a dubbing company.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:50 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I don't see the issue at all? Straight out the gate they are telling you this is their version, and they must be doing something well if Japanese companies are allowing them to dub episodes as soon as they air and in some cases like Space Dandy air before even the Japanese! For MHA S2 Bones gave them video masters for the first 6 episodes well in advance of the S2 premiere and so FUNi were able dub those 6 episodes well before and have them uploaded with the simulcast within the hour.

What I notice is the people that have issues with FUNi are the ones who don't watch dubbed anime in general and never will yet are so quick to blow when FUNi do something that is "off" in their dubs, one person tweets and then all these people join in with pitchforks, so annoying.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:02 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I am not sure because all the FUNi dubs I watch the dub is my first and only viewing of the show. But I am sure they do, their dubs are classed as "re-versioning" or "versions", in a video they went through their dubbing process and they said the script writers adapt scripts with western audiences in mind. FUNi's dub aren't meant to be 1:1 with the Japanese, they credit it is as simply a version of it, otherwise dubs would be pointless.
I don't see the issue at all? Straight out the gate they are telling you this is their version, and they must be doing something well if Japanese companies are allowing them to dub episodes as soon as they air and in some cases like Space Dandy air before even the Japanese! For MHA S2 Bones gave them video masters for the first 6 episodes well in advance of the S2 premiere and so FUNi were able dub those 6 episodes well before and have them uploaded with the simulcast within the hour.

What I notice is the people that have issues with FUNi are the ones who don't watch dubbed anime in general and never will yet are so quick to blow when FUNi do something that is "off" in their dubs, one person tweets and then all these people join in with pitchforks, so annoying.
There are some people who like both subs and dubs that get irked when Funimation does liberties with the scripts. Like our good friend huzaifa ahmed, these people want dubs to have the spirit of the Japanese version.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:05 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote: No wonder why some people think lowly of Funimation as a dubbing company.

There are some people who like both subs and dubs that get irked when Funimation does liberties with the scripts. Like our good friend huzaifa ahmed, these people want dubs to have the spirit of the Japanese version.
The spirit is still there though it always is. It is just not exactly 1:1 with the Japanese, it is different and similar experience at the same time.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:13 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: I don't see the issue at all? Straight out the gate they are telling you this is their version, and they must be doing something well if Japanese companies are allowing them to dub episodes as soon as they air and in some cases like Space Dandy air before even the Japanese! For MHA S2 Bones gave them video masters for the first 6 episodes well in advance of the S2 premiere and so FUNi were able dub those 6 episodes well before and have them uploaded with the simulcast within the hour.

The spirit is still there though it always is. It is just not exactly 1:1 with the Japanese, it is different and similar experience at the same time.
Yeah, I know, but all they want is the dub to be 100% accurate and every voice to sound like the Japanese. These people can't be pleased.

OLKv3

Post by OLKv3 » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:42 pm

Krillin1994 wrote:In the Gotenks vs Buu fight when he gets the kamikaze ghosts to pretend they've found food, one of the ghosts suggests it's a doobie and then gets berated by another.

Fairly certain this isn't accurate dubbing but was hilarious.
I don't mind changes like that, it's a goofy scene and battle anyway so feel free
I just think the WROOOOONG was out of place because it was used in a very tense and serious moment

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:50 pm

OLKv3 wrote:

"WROOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG."

It was perfectly in line with the scene, I think. It matched what was going on with the plot at hand, and it isn't a meme. I liked it. I liked Vegeta's speech to the Earthlings. The only thing that sucks about this dub is that I wanted more accuracy than Z had, but apparently Z got pretty accurate by the time FUNi dubbed the Buu saga. All in all, we have a few less episodes, a new score, and a yellow tint. It's not that different....

I do like how Goku discusses Kid Buu. THAT is different than in Z.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:38 am

Metalwario64 wrote: Can anyone tell me if FUNimation punches up the scripts of their dubs of other shows to this extent? I haven't watched many of their other dubs, and especially not from the past 10 or so years. I'm wondering if this they just play around with all of their scripts, or if it's just something that they can't stop doing with Dragon Ball.
Yes, definitely. I don't watch other Funi anime in Japanese, but I have seen enough anime to know when a script has been punched up, and in many instances where I was unsure I've spot checked and looked things up. Compared to other dubbing companies out there, Funimation defintely takes the most liberties with their scripts, though not nearly to the extent that they did back in the old Dragon Ball and Yu Yu Hakusho days. Nowadays, it's pretty much like in Kai. Most of their anime are like this. Some have been well received by fans, such as Steins; Gate, whereas others like The Future Diary have garnered criticism. Bottom line, it's definitely no worse than the others, aside from the holdover terms from the Z dub.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:33 am

FUNi still sees the Dragonball franchise as "their show" so they definitely continue to put their own spin on things. The Super dub has the same stuff.

MR.Mark

Post by MR.Mark » Fri Jul 07, 2017 5:52 pm

Here's my cut fixing Vegeta's line to Trunks:

https://vid.me/h8i9A

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:38 am

Vegetto tells Buu that he's "totally owned him" in this fight.
What is this? 2006? :lol:

It's not too bad though. Vegetto just sounds amazingly well synchronized both in performances and timing.