As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Re: As A FUNi Dub Fan, Has Z Kai Replaced Z for you?

Post by Muffin Man » Wed Sep 20, 2017 8:22 pm

For me, Kai 1.0 definitely replaces the first three arcs of DBZ. For the Final Chapters, though, I'm still conflicted. There's so much about the original Buu saga dub (and its American musical score) that I'm sentimental towards, and the fact that the Final Chapters botched so much in terms of editing (particularly the fact that they didn't edit out the scenes in Hell, or even the reference to Goku falling off Snake Way) reduces my incentive to switch.

Also the DVD sets are pretty expensive, and I'm not made of money.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:21 am

Muffin Man wrote:The Final Chapters botched so much in terms of editing, particularly the fact that they didn't edit out the scenes in Hell or even the reference to Goku falling off Snake Way.
The snake way isn't an issue at all, even though we didn't see it happen. we're always told about things that happen off screen so why is this any different ?

In terms of the hell scene, it shouldn't have made it in but it's so short that I don't see how it could prevent someone from enjoying the overall product. If you didn't know about it, would seeing it after 60+ episodes ruin the whole things for you ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 7:28 am

sintzu wrote:
Muffin Man wrote:The Final Chapters botched so much in terms of editing, particularly the fact that they didn't edit out the scenes in Hell or even the reference to Goku falling off Snake Way.
The snake way isn't an issue at all, even though we didn't see it happen. we're always told about things that happen off screen so why is this any different ?

In terms of the hell scene, it shouldn't have made it in but it's so short that I don't see how it could prevent someone from enjoying the overall product. If you didn't know about it, would seeing it after 60+ episodes ruin the whole things for you ?
I think it's because as someone "in the know" it becomes immediately distracting; Hell isn't depicted like that in RoF (unless Enma decided to refurbish) and we know the falling through to Hell scene was cut from OG Kai. It becomes distracting because your mind instantly turns to those questions and pulls you out of the show.

The opposite effect is when you're watching the same episode and they cared enough to have Eighter sound the same as he did in the Dragon Ball dub from fifteen years ago. That made my heart sing!

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:06 pm

sintzu wrote:

It raises the question of 1. If it's important, why didn't we see Goku fall into hell? or 2. If it's not important, why is the camera focusing on these two random dudes talking about it?

It's not a plot hole or anything, but it goes against good editing and story-focus practices, and thus is distracting (particularly when you know what it's actually referring to).

As for the enemies in hell, it's not so much that it ruins the whole thing for me, but it makes the newer version less of an improvement over the original than it could have otherwise been. I already prefer a lot of the lines in the original to the lines in Kai, but that would have mattered less if Kai was the more consistent of the two with RoF. As it stands, they both contadict RoF, so neither has an advantage in that regard.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:48 pm

Muffin Man wrote:As it stands, they both contadict RoF, so neither has an advantage in that regard.
RF came out a loooooooooong time after both so it's the one contradicting things.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:51 pm

sintzu wrote:
Muffin Man wrote:As it stands, they both contadict RoF, so neither has an advantage in that regard.
RF came out a loooooooooong time after both so it's the one contradicting things.
RoF and DBZ Kai: TFC released in the same year, didn't they?

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 21, 2017 4:53 pm

KBABZ wrote:RoF and DBZ Kai: TFC released in the same year, didn't they?
We first heared about Kai in 2012 while RF wouldn't have went into development till late 2013-early 2014 so Kai was first. Hell was never in the manga so Toriyama didn't contradict anything there as he said multiple times that the 2 movies were continuations of the manga.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Sep 21, 2017 5:14 pm

sintzu wrote:
KBABZ wrote:RoF and DBZ Kai: TFC released in the same year, didn't they?
We first heared about Kai in 2012 while RF wouldn't have went into development till late 2013-early 2014 so Kai was first. Hell was never in the manga so Toriyama didn't contradict anything there as he said multiple times that the 2 movies were continuations of the manga.
At the same time it feels kinda sloppy that there are two versions of Hell present when Super uses Kai as flashback material.

Muffin Man
Beyond Newbie

Post by Muffin Man » Thu Sep 21, 2017 6:14 pm

sintzu wrote:
Not really my point. I'm not "blaming" Kai for the contradiction (although I do blame them for leaving in such a useless, boring filler scene).

HybridSaiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by HybridSaiyan » Sun Oct 01, 2017 1:47 pm

I've started to appreciate the Kai dub a lot more and this Is coming from someone who prefers the OG by a landslide, but I still favor towards Sabats Funi Buu Saga voice.
I can enjoy both versions as equals finally haha.

Guys opinions on this scene?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JT6Tb-CU_c

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWMsvgJrdy4

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 2:23 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:I've started to appreciate the Kai dub a lot more and this Is coming from someone who prefers the OG by a landslide, but I still favor towards Sabats Funi Buu Saga voice.

Sabat's Vegeta in Kai sounds way more refined and Smoother than Z Dub.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:15 am

HybridSaiyan wrote:I've started to appreciate the Kai dub a lot more and this Is coming from someone who prefers the OG by a landslide, but I still favor towards Sabats Funi Buu Saga voice.

Sabat sounds far, far better in Kai than in Z. A smoother and less gruffer voice allows him to emote better.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:54 pm

Both of them sound better! It helps lend a lot to the gravitas of the characters so that they feel less like cartoons and more like people.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:19 pm

Kai's version, regardless of the video quality, beats Z by a mile here. Like others have said, Sabat's Vegeta voice is 10x better here.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:31 am

I have issues with Kai in general such as the poorly edited scenes, and I miss some of the dialogue from the original Funi releases. I like the dubbed songs, though. Another big issue I have with Funi Kai is that my favorite character, Gohan, his new voice is grating to me. I also miss Android 18's voice actor but they brought her back eventually.

I don't see Kai as bad per se, just not my cup of tea.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:01 pm

Kokonoe wrote:I have issues with Kai in general such as the poorly edited scenes, and I miss some of the dialogue from the original Funi releases. I like the dubbed songs, though. Another big issue I have with Funi Kai is that my favorite character, Gohan, his new voice is grating to me. I also miss Android 18's voice actor but they brought her back eventually.

Some of those seem really petty to not like the rest of it. I mean, I hate Clinkenbeard as Gohan too, but it doesn't ruin the whole show to me. And that's just one of the things you brought up.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:I have issues with Kai in general such as the poorly edited scenes, and I miss some of the dialogue from the original Funi releases. I like the dubbed songs, though. Another big issue I have with Funi Kai is that my favorite character, Gohan, his new voice is grating to me. I also miss Android 18's voice actor but they brought her back eventually.

Some of those seem really petty to not like the rest of it. I mean, I hate Clinkenbeard as Gohan too, but it doesn't ruin the whole show to me. And that's just one of the things you brought up.
So are you a Nadolny fan? If so what do you think she does better to capture Gohan's character. I'm not trying to berate if you are, just curious.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:47 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Scsigs wrote:

So are you a Nadolny fan? If so what do you think she does better to capture Gohan's character. I'm not trying to berate if you are, just curious.
I just prefer her little boy voice as opposed to Clinkenbeard. Her voice is just one I don't think fits Gohan or Goku at all. If they had gotten someone with a voice similar to Nodolny's, if not her herself, then I wouldn't hate the recast as much. But no, we have to go with Monkey D. Luffy, only aged back a bit. That's, literally, the only boy voice she has & it's just annoying for me.

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:07 pm

Scsigs wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
Scsigs wrote: Some of those seem really petty to not like the rest of it. I mean, I hate Clinkenbeard as Gohan too, but it doesn't ruin the whole show to me. And that's just one of the things you brought up.
I just prefer her little boy voice as opposed to Clinkenbeard. Her voice is just one I don't think fits Gohan or Goku at all. If they had gotten someone with a voice similar to Nodolny's, if not her herself, then I wouldn't hate the recast as much. But no, we have to go with Monkey D. Luffy, only aged back a bit. That's, literally, the only boy voice she has & it's just annoying for me.
And Nadolny's Gohan voice is literally her Goku but raspier so whats your point, how does a gruff raspy voice fit whats supposed to be a soft spoken polite little kid? If anything Gohan sounding a bit feminine would actually work better.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:33 pm

DragonBallKing wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
DragonBallKing wrote:
And Nadolny's Gohan voice is literally her Goku but raspier so whats your point, how does a gruff raspy voice fit whats supposed to be a soft spoken polite little kid? If anything Gohan sounding a bit feminine would actually work better.
Maybe, but the same cannot be said of Goku.