Is there a way to disable the subtitles on the DVDs that show up during insert songs?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Hugh Jass

Is there a way to disable the subtitles on the DVDs that show up during insert songs?

Post by Hugh Jass » Mon Jul 31, 2017 10:37 am

Even when I have them set to off in the settings and I'm watching the English track these ugly ass subtitles still pop up when an insert song happens.

Is this only a thing on the DVDs and not the blurays? I've seen clips of the dub during these moments that don't have the subtitles but I assumed people were just using different footage synced to the audio to get rid of them.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Is there a way to disable the subtitles on the DVDs that show up during insert songs?

Post by OmegaRockman » Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:27 pm

Press the "Subtitle" button on your remote until the subs are set to "Off". If you're watching the dub, I think you just have to press it once.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: Is there a way to disable the subtitles on the DVDs that show up during insert songs?

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:35 pm

Yeah, the Funimation releases are funny like that. They have two subtitle options without actually giving the option of using the dub's subtitles. There's one set of subtitles for the Japanese version and another that pops up just to translate the theme songs and any words that appear on-screen that are in Japanese. I believe that's "Subtitle 1" while the Japanese translation is "Subtitle 2." In any event, just turn it off. The default setting when you start watching them is "Subtitle 1" which will translate the songs and any Japanese on-screen words.