Is the dub of Kai worth a shot for an indifferent fan?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ajay

Re: Is the dub of Kai worth a shot for an indifferent fan?

Post by Ajay » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:37 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:I don't get why people on here just write "Kai dub" as if the English (Funimation) dub is the only one that exists.
Because although this site welcomes fans from around the world, it's an English-speaking forum, so of course the obvious inference when talking about the "the dub" leads to Funimation's version.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:43 pm

Yeah, that I know but when the Ocean Dub of Kai is out it'll just make more confusion as threads like these only create confusion by vaguely calling the Funimation dub as "the dub". This isn't just a Kanzenshuu community problem but on YouTube as well where Funi fans think they're entitled to everything and it's better than everything else.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:03 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:Yeah, that I know but when the Ocean Dub of Kai is out it'll just make more confusion as threads like these only create confusion by vaguely calling the Funimation dub as "the dub". This isn't just a Kanzenshuu community problem but on YouTube as well where Funi fans think they're entitled to everything and it's better than everything else.
You last sentence seems like an unnecessary jab, for years people have distinguished the Ocean dub as just that the Ocean dub there will be literally no difference here, anyone that doesn't specify we'll know they are talking about about the FUNi dub, hell with DBS it's exactly what is happening right now with people specifying the BZ dub specifically whenever talking about it. I think you are making this a bigger deal then it really is, it is a non-issue, regardless of what one's opinions of FUNi's dubs are it is the main English dub now for DB it has been released and available in UK, USA, Canada, Australia and NZ so it is only natural for people to refer to it as the dub or the English dub.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:25 pm

From a global scale the Funimation dub is the most well-known (even over the Japanese one), so it makes sense that it is The Dub, for better or worse. It's a little bit like how American pop culture permeates everywhere else in the world due to how influential that country is (for example, Hollywood productions are WAY more known and talked about than Bollywood).

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 3:38 pm

KBABZ wrote:From a global scale the Funimation dub is the most well-known (even over the Japanese one), so it makes sense that it is The Dub, for better or worse. It's a little bit like how American pop culture permeates everywhere else in the world due to how influential that country is (for example, Hollywood productions are WAY more known and talked about than Bollywood).
A foreign dub is still a foreign dub.

Dub fans from Spain, Portugal, France, Italy, Germany don't give a flying sauce about the English much less being the "most well-known" globally. That's what Funi Z dub (+ Faulconer) fans said too, seems like some things never change.
that it is The Dub
It's a dub, not the dub.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:11 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:That's what Funi Z dub (+ Faulconer) fans said too, seems like some things never change.
SuperCyan2 wrote:
that it is The Dub
It's a dub, not the dub.
Which I agree with, personally, but I know I'm in the minority on this from a larger perspective.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:15 pm

I get people like to think of their country's dubs and etc as the best one but that's not the case, almost always various countries have their own interpretations of this and that.

Saying the Funimation dub of Kai/Super is the most popular dub is like saying American Football is globally known and loved.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:29 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:I get people like to think of their country's dubs and etc as the best one but that's not the case, almost always various countries have their own interpretations of this and that.

Saying the Funimation dub of Kai/Super is the most popular dub is like saying American Football is globally known and loved.
Good point, but my gut tells me that the Funi dubs are globally more well-known and referred to other other ones, which I think has a better case for itself now when those are the most readily available. Not to say that I think that should be the case, mind you.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:55 pm

SuperCyan2 wrote:I get people like to think of their country's dubs and etc as the best one but that's not the case, almost always various countries have their own interpretations of this and that.

But it is..? FUNi dub not only hits NA but the U.K too, and Aus/NZ too aswell as any other English speaking countries Africa, Asia etc (yes Asia aired a different dub of DBS but aired FUNi's Kai and Z dubs). American football is not played in England so your analogy doesn't quite work. Where around the world is German dub of DB released for example?

Not to mention English is the most common language so it makes sense when someone is talking about a dub they mean English unless specified. When talking about subs for DBS should we always specify English subtitles then? Other subtitles exist.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:40 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:But it is..?
It's not.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:FUNi dub not only hits NA but the U.K too, and Aus/NZ too aswell as any other English speaking countries Africa, Asia etc (yes Asia aired a different dub of DBS but aired FUNi's Kai and Z dubs).
While they may air it dubbed in English by Funimation it doesn't really mean most or all actually bother to stick themselves and wait for it to air on TV. A lot prefer to watch it in Japanese or a foreign dub they can get access to.

In Africa, some also speak Portuguese and French so if they want to watch Dragon Ball then they have a variety of languages to pick from.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:American football is not played in England so your analogy doesn't quite work.
It does. You're only trying to deny that the English dub isn't as important as you make it to be.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Where around the world is German dub of DB released for example?
For the Germans, and those who speak German and well, those who want to watch it dubbed. Same goes for the English dubbed version.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Not to mention English is the most common language so it makes sense when someone is talking about a dub they mean English unless specified. When talking about subs for DBS should we always specify English subtitles then? Other subtitles exist.
That's really beyond the point. There are reasons why someone would dislike Funimation's dub and would rather go with a different dub or the original Japanese audio.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:46 pm

I understand how SuperCyan2 feels. The FUNi dub isn't The Dub. It's not the only dub. It's just another foreign dub. A very popular foreign dub that is. I also understand what Ajay said. This is an English speaking forum. So it's assumed that when someone says "the dub", they mean the English FUNimation dub. But it does bother me (a lot) when it's just referred to as "the dub". It feels like you guys think your dub is the one and only dub out there when you simply refer to it as "the dub". It also isn't fair that I have to specify which dub I'm talking about everytime but you guys don't. Maybe it's a cultural thing. Even when I'm talking/typing in Spanish I always say, "El doblaje Latino" (the Latin American dub). Most people in Latin America do too. But from what I've seen most English speakers simply say/write "the dub". Anyway, in the end it's not that big of an issue really. But it is something that does bother me.
KBABZ wrote:From a global scale the Funimation dub is the most well-known (even over the Japanese one), so it makes sense that it is The Dub, for better or worse. It's a little bit like how American pop culture permeates everywhere else in the world due to how influential that country is (for example, Hollywood productions are WAY more known and talked about than Bollywood).
But is it the "most well-known" dub? How do you know it is the most well known dub? What evidence is there to support this idea?

Yes the FUNi dubs (Z, Kai, Super, etc) all aired on several English speaking countries like the U.S, U.K, Australia, New Zeland, English speaking Asian countries, etc. But all that simply means, is that the FUNi dub is just very popular only on those specific English speaking places. Why would people from Brazil care for the FUNi dub? Or someone in Germany? And while several countries aired the FUNimation dub (U.S, U.K, Australia, New Zeland etc.), it still wouldn't be the most viewed dub. The Latin American dub aired in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cuba, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, Puerto Rico, Uruguay, Venezuela, the U.S, etc. Pretty much the Latin American dub of Dragon Ball aired (and is still currently aring) on all Latin America. Except for Brazil of cousre since it they speak Portuguese there. So wouldn't that mean that the Latin American dub is the most well-Known dub out there?

In the end it doesn't even matter wich is the most well-known/most viewed dub. Because like I said, why would someone from Germany care for the FUNi dub or the Latin American dub? Why would someone in Brazil care for the FUNi dub or the Latin American dub? These foreign dubs only matter to people who speak that specific foreign language.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: But it is..? FUNi dub not only hits NA but the U.K too, and Aus/NZ too aswell as any other English speaking countries Africa, Asia etc (yes Asia aired a different dub of DBS but aired FUNi's Kai and Z dubs). American football is not played in England so your analogy doesn't quite work. Where around the world is German dub of DB released for example?

Not to mention English is the most common language so it makes sense when someone is talking about a dub they mean English unless specified. When talking about subs for DBS should we always specify English subtitles then? Other subtitles exist.
While it is true that English is the "international" language, this doesn't make sense. So if someone in Germany is talking about the Dragon Ball Z dub, we should assume he's talking about the FUNimation dub? Why? Only English speakers care for the English FUNi dub. Only Spanish speakers care for the Spanish dub (in Spain) and the Latin American dub (in Latin America).
Last edited by Bajosexto on Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:05 pm

Bajosexto wrote:Yes the FUNi dubs (Z, Kai, Super, etc) all aired on several English speaking countries like the U.S, U.K, Australia, New Zeland, English speaking Asian countries, etc.
Not exactly.

The UK, Canada, and some parts of Europe got the Ocean dub instead.
Speaking as a Brit who's always preferred the Ocean dub, the preference online for Funi to be "The" dub annoys me too.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:13 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:Yes the FUNi dubs (Z, Kai, Super, etc) all aired on several English speaking countries like the U.S, U.K, Australia, New Zeland, English speaking Asian countries, etc.
Not exactly.

The UK, Canada, and some parts of Europe got the Ocean dub instead.
Speaking as a Brit who's always preferred the Ocean dub, the preference online for Funi to be "The" dub annoys me too.
Yeah, I left Canada out from that list because I knew the ocean dub aired there instead. But my point was that the FUNi dub did aired on several English speaking countries. Of cousre some English speaking countries aired the Ocean dub instead.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:32 pm

Bajosexto wrote:Yeah, I left Canada out from that list because I knew the ocean dub aired there insted. But my point was that the FUNi dub did aired on several English speaking countries. Of cousre some English speaking countries aired the Ocean dub instead.
Well, thing is, originally, it was pretty even, at least. The Ocean dub was much cheaper for networks to license, so all European countries that got the show in English grabbed the Ocean dub, and of course Canada did too. I don't know how this all went down in Asia, but assuming a couple of Asian countries aired Funi's dub, that means we have the UK, Canada, and Holland got the Ocean dub, while the US, Australia, and a couple of parts of Asia got Funimation.

So, really, until the show had run its course and Funi dominated the DVD market, it was pretty even.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:39 pm

Robo4900 wrote:So, really, until the show had run its course and Funi dominated the DVD market, it was pretty even.
Streaming is also a possible facet; does Ocean have their dubs available for streaming anywhere?

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:31 am

Bajosexto wrote:Why would someone in Brazil care for the FUNi dub or the Latin American dub?
...because the Brazilian dubs have used scripts from Funi's dub (Kai) and the Latin American dubs (much of the pre-Kai material)? There are several other cases where dubs reuse scripts from another dub instead of going straight for the Japanese. Think of all the dubs based off the French dub back in the day.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Mon Feb 12, 2018 1:48 am

Danfun64 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:Why would someone in Brazil care for the FUNi dub or the Latin American dub?
...because the Brazilian dubs have used scripts from Funi's dub (Kai) and the Latin American dubs (much of the pre-Kai material)? There are several other cases where dubs reuse scripts from another dub instead of going straight for the Japanese. Think of all the dubs based off the French dub back in the day.
True but I'm talking specifically about the dubs. Why would a non-English speakers care for an English dub? A dub which they can't understand. I'm not saying that some of the decisions FUNimation takes don't affect non-English speakers/non FUNi dub watchers. They do. Personally I don't care for the FUNi dub. Their dubs are too liberal for me. So I don't watch them. But unfortunately the Brazilian and Latin American dubs use the FUNimation Final Chapters scritps. And now we are stuck with the Team Fourstar Cell games recreation. Yes some dubs indirectly affect other dubs. Like the French dub and FUNi dub. But what I meant was that people outside of France don't care for the French dub. And that non-English speakers don't care for the FUNi dub.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:06 am

I enjoyed it. I don't think someone would need to have watched the old Funi dub to enjoy its Kai dub but I do think having already seen Kai in Japanese could take away from it. But if somebody watches something over and over then that might not matter as much.
SuperCyan2 wrote:The Funimation English dub of Kai is really good though I'd recommend watching it with the original Kai score by Yamamoto.

I don't get why people on here just write "Kai dub" as if the English (Funimation) dub is the only one that exists.
I can understand wanting clarity on something like Ocean/Funi/whatever for Z. But if someone comes to an English based board and asks about a unspecified dub I would think its fine to assume they mean an English dub. And isn't the Funi dub of Kai the only released English dub? You could write English dub or Funi dub but in this context I would find it redundant.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 6:26 pm

dario03 wrote:I can understand wanting clarity on something like Ocean/Funi/whatever for Z. But if someone comes to an English based board and asks about a unspecified dub I would think its fine to assume they mean an English dub. And isn't the Funi dub of Kai the only released English dub? You could write English dub or Funi dub but in this context I would find it redundant.
Ocean Kai will probably begin airing this year. It will be incredibly confusing for people to continue to call Funi Kai just "Kai".

Besides, Japanese is the original verison, and Kanzenshuu generally is supposed to have a focus on the Japanese version, so saying "Kai" and meaning "Funi's dub of Kai" is a rather silly thing to do.

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:41 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
dario03 wrote:I can understand wanting clarity on something like Ocean/Funi/whatever for Z. But if someone comes to an English based board and asks about a unspecified dub I would think its fine to assume they mean an English dub. And isn't the Funi dub of Kai the only released English dub? You could write English dub or Funi dub but in this context I would find it redundant.
Ocean Kai will probably begin airing this year. It will be incredibly confusing for people to continue to call Funi Kai just "Kai".

Besides, Japanese is the original verison, and Kanzenshuu generally is supposed to have a focus on the Japanese version, so saying "Kai" and meaning "Funi's dub of Kai" is a rather silly thing to do.
I didn't say "Kai" should mean "Funi Kai", I said with context saying "dub of Kai" could currently be assumed to mean "Funi Kai". If you just say Kai then you no longer have the context that I was talking about, so specifics are needed. For this board I would lean toward original but it wouldn't be as clear.