Differences between The Final Chapters and the original TV airing?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Differences between The Final Chapters and the original TV airing?

Post by SylentEcho » Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:27 am

I recently got my hands on The Final Chapters and noticed that the opening theme was different and didn't even get me half as pumped up as the original did. It's also only in English, even when I choose the JP audio. :crazy:

Apart from this, what are the other differences in the two versions?

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Differences between The Final Chapters and the original TV airing?

Post by simtek34 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 11:17 am

Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters is the original version of the Boo arc of Kai. It has 8 additional episodes, different music placement, and different OP/ED Themes.
The one that was on Japanese TV is an edited-down version with worse pacing in the Great Saiyaman stuff due to having less episodes, the OP/ED was probably changed to be in Japanese and to sell CD's due to having 5 ED instead of the original 1. You see, The Final Chapters was only made for International Audiences where Kai was Successful, similar to the Sonic X anime, only outside Japan. But due to Toriko failing, Fuji TV wanted another show to replace it. So they put Kai TFC on, but at first, they wanted it to last a year, and that's why some episodes were cut. After a while, they dropped the "One Year" thing and just aired TFC but with the JP OP, ED, and NEP theme.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 2:05 pm

SylentEcho wrote:I recently got my hands on The Final Chapters and noticed that the opening theme was different and didn't even get me half as pumped up as the original did. It's also only in English, even when I choose the JP audio. :crazy:

Apart from this, what are the other differences in the two versions?
The Japanese version has 8 less episodes(2 of which were completely filler), different recap/nep music, different OP'S/ED'S, has a sharpening filter, color corrected Evil Buu's eye color from white to red. On a side note, only the FUNI version of TFC has two insert songs. "Fight it out" plays during SSJ2 Goku's battle against Kid Buu, and "Cha la head cha la(flow english version)" plays when Goku flies off with Uub.

The International and Japanese versions start being edited the same(content wise) at episode 16(international) & episode 9(japanese), with the only later difference being Japanese episode 59(equivalent of international episode 66) having a 15 second clip of Goku wishing everyone forget about Buu being added into it. In the international version, that scene took place in episode 65, which is completely cut out from the Japanese version.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:37 pm

The Japanese version has 8 less episodes(2 of which were completely filler), different recap/nep music, different OP'S/ED'S, has a sharpening filter, color corrected Evil Buu's eye color from white to red. On a side note, only the FUNI version of TFC has two insert songs. "Fight it out" plays during SSJ2 Goku's battle against Kid Buu, and "Cha la head cha la(flow english version)" plays when Goku flies off with Uub.

The International and Japanese versions start being edited the same(content wise) at episode 16(international) & episode 9(japanese), with the only later difference being Japanese episode 59(equivalent of international episode 66) having a 15 second clip of Goku wishing everyone forget about Buu being added into it. In the international version, that scene took place in episode 65, which is completely cut out from the Japanese version.[/quote]
Isn't let it burn the insert song?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:52 pm

DHM211 wrote:
SylentEcho wrote:On a side note, only the FUNI version of TFC has two insert songs. "Fight it out" plays during SSJ2 Goku's battle against Kid Buu.
Actually, the insert song is "Let It Burn". "Fight It Out" is the opening song.
I also go by "veemonjosh".

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:02 pm

Son Goku wrote:
DHM211 wrote:
SylentEcho wrote:On a side note, only the FUNI version of TFC has two insert songs. "Fight it out" plays during SSJ2 Goku's battle against Kid Buu.
Actually, the insert song is "Let It Burn". "Fight It Out" is the opening song.
My bad.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:02 pm

simtek34 wrote:The Final Chapters was only made for International Audiences where Kai was Successful, similar to the Sonic X anime, only outside Japan. But due to Toriko failing, Fuji TV wanted another show to replace it. So they put Kai TFC on, but at first, they wanted it to last a year, and that's why some episodes were cut. After a while, they dropped the "One Year" thing and just aired TFC but with the JP OP, ED, and NEP theme.
Bold added by me. I'd like a citation for that bolded area.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Sep 13, 2017 4:27 pm

Danfun64 wrote:
simtek34 wrote:The Final Chapters was only made for International Audiences where Kai was Successful, similar to the Sonic X anime, only outside Japan. But due to Toriko failing, Fuji TV wanted another show to replace it. So they put Kai TFC on, but at first, they wanted it to last a year, and that's why some episodes were cut. After a while, they dropped the "One Year" thing and just aired TFC but with the JP OP, ED, and NEP theme.
I don't remember where I read it, it was in this forum though, I'll try to find it as soon as possible.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Tue Sep 19, 2017 11:26 am

simtek34 wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:
I don't remember where I read it, it was in this forum though, I'll try to find it as soon as possible.
On Kai's official Japanese site there was a comment made by Nozawa saying it would last one year only to be removed hours later. It seems like that was the original plan but no one informed her that it changed.

Another thing was the episode titals being released, they didn't go with the episodes being aired so she wasn't the only one left in the dark as the magazine also didn't seem to know about what had changed.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Thu Sep 28, 2017 9:14 pm

If the TFC episodes really are airing on Japanese TV, we need to find out the episode airing dates for Wikipedia.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.