THOUGHTS and QUESTION: Kai Series Bootleg

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

mecha3000
Regular

THOUGHTS and QUESTION: Kai Series Bootleg

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:37 am

So yeah, I already have Kai Parts 1-4 and Kai TFC Parts 1-3 (and will probably just get Seasons 3-4 to fill in the gap unless Parts 6 and 7 become more easily available). But there's also a bootleg version that I'm interested in. So why would I be interested in something I already have? One Main Reason:

MUSIC/SOUNDTRACK: The Japanese version of Kai uses Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go (not sure if spelled right) for the opening and Dear Zarathustra for the ending song, with an additional four endings following after. I prefer this to the international version we got because the music's too simple in our versions. Fight it out? Never give up? Yeah, pass. I prefer the more energetic Japanese songs. I only ever really wanted TFC for the dub and now that I've watched all of it, I think I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the original Japanese version of the Buu Saga (despite certain scenes being further cut out). Also, the final scene where Goku leaves with Uub. HATED Cha-La by Flow being added in TFC. It didn't fit AT ALL because Kai never used Cha-La and I don't care if it's based on Z - DRAGON SOUL should've at least been used and overall - I just prefer the more bittersweet but whimsical "Goku" soundtrack playing during that final scene in the Japanese version. There's also the matter of possibly getting more Yamamoto music featured on the episodes since they're all Japanese episodes, which featured the music all the way until Episode 96 in Japan from what I remember. All of this together just adds a more nostalgic and preferred feel to me, since I saw Japanese Kai's songs when I was still in school and Yamamoto when I was a few years younger.

So here's my question: Does anyone know if the Kai bootleg [link removed by administrator] features mostly the Yamamoto music? I may not get an answer since probably no one purchased the bootleg. All in all, I just find the Japanese Buu Kai my preferred version.
Last edited by mecha3000 on Mon Jan 08, 2018 11:06 am, edited 3 times in total.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: THOUGHTS and QUESTION: Kai Series Bootleg

Post by KBABZ » Mon Jan 08, 2018 8:49 am

Buying the Japanese version isn't a sure-fire bet. The Yamamoto scandal went straight to the top, to the point where the final episode of the show uses a Kikuchi replacement score (if it has Yamamoto in it, that was a fan's doing!). That extends to the Blu-Rays, which I don't think got up to the final Parts/Seasons since those came out later.

Anyways, if you want to tell what score is being used for a set, you'll need to check the back of the box and look for the text at the bottom which will have the production credits listed on it. For example, my recently purchased Kai Season sets all have "Music: Shunsuke Kikuchi" listed on it, so I have the Kikuchi replacement score.

mecha3000
Regular

Re: THOUGHTS and QUESTION: Kai Series Bootleg

Post by mecha3000 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 10:43 am

KBABZ wrote:Buying the Japanese version isn't a sure-fire bet. The Yamamoto scandal went straight to the top, to the point where the final episode of the show uses a Kikuchi replacement score (if it has Yamamoto in it, that was a fan's doing!). That extends to the Blu-Rays, which I don't think got up to the final Parts/Seasons since those came out later.

Anyways, if you want to tell what score is being used for a set, you'll need to check the back of the box and look for the text at the bottom which will have the production credits listed on it. For example, my recently purchased Kai Season sets all have "Music: Shunsuke Kikuchi" listed on it, so I have the Kikuchi replacement score.
Thanks for the info. Still, I'm sure this is post might be removed based on a reply I just got regarding the Blue Water dub of GT.