Why alternate openings for The Final Chapters?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Why alternate openings for The Final Chapters?

Post by matt0044 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:14 pm

I mean, what was wrong with Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go?

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Re: Why alternate openings for The Final Chapters?

Post by OmegaRockman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:51 pm

Nothing was "wrong" with it, per se. It's just that Fight It Out and Never Give Up were the songs originally produced for Kai's Boo arc when it was initially an international-only thing. When Toriko failed and they decided to throw the rest of Kai on TV, they were probably thinking, "Shit! We need CD singles to sell but the opening and ending we produced were only a minute and a half!" So they did Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go and the four Japanese endings. By the time they decided to recut and change the openings/endings for the Japanese version, the contracts were probably signed and materials were probably already sent out to international license holders to use the International version. They may have figured that amending contracts and sending out new materials was more trouble than it was worth.

I do wonder why the Korean dub and some of the European dubs didn't have Let It Burn and Cha-La as insert songs like we got in the US, though. This is pure speculation, but I suppose the fact that Korea and France had simuldubs may have had an influence on it; with those versions premiering so soon after the Japanese version, maybe Toei wanted the music placements to match? They had already premiered the dubs with the international opening and ending (probably just to get the show out in a timely manner instead of waiting on new audio from Japan), so that was a done deal. But since the insert songs were only in two episodes towards the end of the run, they probably had plenty of time to send updated audio. As for the other European dubs, they've historically been based on the French version - maybe it's the same case with Kai, so whatever materials France used would carry over to other European countries. Again, this is pure speculation on my part. Plus, one of the European dubs of the Boo arc may have gotten the songs and I just don't know about it. But that's enough of my rambling.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

matt0044
Advanced Regular

Post by matt0044 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:05 am

OmegaRockman wrote:"Shit! We need CD singles to sell but the opening and ending we produced were only a minute and a half!"
They couldn't make it longer?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:14 am

OmegaRockman wrote:Nothing was "wrong" with it, per se. It's just that Fight It Out and Never Give Up were the songs originally produced for Kai's Boo arc when it was initially an international-only thing. When Toriko failed and they decided to throw the rest of Kai on TV, they were probably thinking, "Shit! We need CD singles to sell but the opening and ending we produced were only a minute and a half!" So they did Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go and the four Japanese endings. By the time they decided to recut and change the openings/endings for the Japanese version, the contracts were probably signed and materials were probably already sent out to international license holders to use the International version. They may have figured that amending contracts and sending out new materials was more trouble than it was worth.

I do wonder why the Korean dub and some of the European dubs didn't have Let It Burn and Cha-La as insert songs like we got in the US, though. This is pure speculation, but I suppose the fact that Korea and France had simuldubs may have had an influence on it; with those versions premiering so soon after the Japanese version, maybe Toei wanted the music placements to match? They had already premiered the dubs with the international opening and ending (probably just to get the show out in a timely manner instead of waiting on new audio from Japan), so that was a done deal. But since the insert songs were only in two episodes towards the end of the run, they probably had plenty of time to send updated audio. As for the other European dubs, they've historically been based on the French version - maybe it's the same case with Kai, so whatever materials France used would carry over to other European countries. Again, this is pure speculation on my part. Plus, one of the European dubs of the Boo arc may have gotten the songs and I just don't know about it. But that's enough of my rambling.
I always thought it was 'cuz "Fight it out" was in Engrish so does that mean the Japanese audio has "Fight it out" in proper Japanese?

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:22 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
I always thought it was 'cuz "Fight it out" was in Engrish so does that mean the Japanese audio has "Fight it out" in proper Japanese?
Nope. Both tracks are the English version. As far as I know there was never a Japanese version produced.