Looking for a way to buy Kai TFC at a reasonable price

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Looking for a way to buy Kai TFC at a reasonable price

Post by 90sDBZ » Fri Feb 16, 2018 6:07 pm

This is a long shot but I was wondering if anyone could recommend a site which sells Kai The Final Chapters at a reasonable price without having to pay some crazy import fees. I'm in the UK and there's currently no sign of us ever getting it released here, supposedly because Kai 1.0 didn't sell enough. Funimation's release is currently on sale on Amazon.com as someone else mentioned in another topic, but with shipping to the UK and handling the price of all 3 sets together is still roughly £85. On top of that I'd also need to invest in either a Multi-Region or Region A Blu-ray player, as Funimation's release is annoyingly region locked. With all this I'd be paying over £100 just to watch 69 episodes of Kai, which is a little ridiculous to be honest.

I've also checked Ebay several times and each set of TFC is insanely overpriced there, with most listings being £40 a set, and insanely some more than £50 without even counting postage.

Then there's the Australian release by Madman which is actually Region B but is always even more overpriced than Funimation's release. I don't understand why it's so overpriced everywhere, I mean Kai 1.0 was never like that as far as I'm aware. Did Funimation/Madman only do a limited print or something? The way things stand now I'd be paying a lot more for TFC than I did for the Rock The Dragon set back in 2013, and that was actually a collectors item. It's a real shame as I've been looking forward to TFC for years and have heard a lot of positive things about the dub.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Looking for a way to buy Kai TFC at a reasonable price

Post by SuperCyan2 » Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:17 pm

Well, you're aware of the Australian Region B Blu-rays so I don't need to cover that part. So, what you can do is wait patiently and Manga UK might go ahead and release it in UK which would effectively be a cheaper release than Madman's. Speaking in general, the pre-order MSRP tends to be like £19.99~24.99 and £29.99~34.99.

And in case you don't want to wait for Manga UK's repackaged version, keep an eye on eBay listings as I've seen the Australian BDs go for £34ish which is admittedly overpriced for what it is. I remember reading on Blu-ray.com that at launch there was an overprint and a guy was lucky enough to get each part for only ten bucks.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:26 pm

Hi and thanks for the reply. :)

Today I finally decided to bite the bullet and import it all in one go off Amazon.com. To be honest I've lost all hope of Manga UK ever doing a release. No end of people have asked them for it on Facebook and Twitter and continue to ask them, and they always reply saying they "have no plans for more Kai".

I know the head of Manga UK Jerome Mazandarani confirmed that Kai sold really badly on DVD but did well on Blu-ray. By that logic I don't see why they couldn't release TFC on Blu-ray only, but they don't seem interested for whatever reason.

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:25 am

I mean they still might. Funimation only released them in the US like a year ago, didn't they? Might be too early in the game to throw in the towel (although it shouldn't be like that). Then again, you get to enjoy them now, so nice!

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:15 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:I mean they still might. Funimation only released them in the US like a year ago, didn't they? Might be too early in the game to throw in the towel (although it shouldn't be like that). Then again, you get to enjoy them now, so nice!
True but Funimation made sure to release TFC before Super while Manga UK have effectively skipped TFC. Also I happened to check their Facebook page today and someone had asked them why they're not releasing it, and they replied saying a release of The Final Chapters "isn't economically viable" for them. So in other words they don't think it would sell enough to justify licencing it.

To be fair I did read on this forum a while back that TFC didn't sell all that well in the US, so that could be part of the reason. Then again a lot of people might have skipped out on buying it because they were already in the middle of the Toonami run.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 20, 2018 1:24 pm

FUNimation could re-release DBZK:TFC as a two-season (34 eps per season) set but it's unlikely, this show is done for. It even felt like a chore for FUNimation to dub and release.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 06, 2018 10:14 am

I got each part for 23$ on Amazon so just keep your eyes on that as they're always having good anime deals.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 2:13 pm

sintzu wrote:I got each part for 23$ on Amazon so just keep your eyes on that as they're always having good anime deals.
That's in the US. Look at the OP, this person is looking to buy them in the UK.
MangaUK decided not to pick up TFC, so UK buyers are screwed unless something happens to suddenly make Kai super-profitable for MangaUK. :problem:

Perhaps if Ocean Kai gets picked up by a UK channel, and is successful enough to make MangaUK look into doing an Ocean Kai boxset, leading to an Ocean TFC dub, thus an Ocean TFC boxset. ;)
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:31 pm

Robo4900 wrote:
sintzu wrote:I got each part for 23$ on Amazon so just keep your eyes on that as they're always having good anime deals.
That's in the US. Look at the OP, this person is looking to buy them in the UK.
I know, he/she should just get them from Amazon US instead of waiting for Manga UK to release them there.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:43 pm

sintzu wrote:I know, he/she should just get them from Amazon US instead of waiting for Manga UK to release them there.
Most Blu-Ray players are region locked.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.