"Buyers Guide" for DBKai with Yamamoto score?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

"Buyers Guide" for DBKai with Yamamoto score?

Post by jpranevich » Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:22 pm

Hey guys,

I know that there are complexities around reprints and such. Is there a convenient "buyers guide" that I can look at to help me pick and choose Kai Blu-ray releases that have the Kenji Yamamoto score? I am trying to watch the show the way it was originally presented on TV (in Japan) as much as possible. I'd also settle for a streaming version if there is one that has the original score but I expect those have all been updated by now.

I am months away from starting my watch of Kai (for the first time!), but I fear that the longer I wait the harder it will be to get the original score.

Thanks!

PremiumSalt
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Buyers Guide" for DBKai with Yamamoto score?

Post by PremiumSalt » Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:59 pm

Dragon Ball Arc Rankings: 1. Piccolo Daimaō 2. Saiyan 3. 22nd Budōkai 4. 23rd Budōkai 5. Hunt For the Dragon Balls 6. Zamasu 7. Moro 8. Tournament of Power 9. 21st Budōkai 10. Broly 11. Battle of Gods 12. Boo 13. U6 Tournament 14. Freeza 15. Red Ribbon Army 16. Artificial Humans/Cell 17.Golden Freeza
Kunzait_83 wrote:No matter what twisted pretzel logic you contort yourself into to try and convince yourself otherwise, Raditz landing on Earth is the middle of the fucking story. Zero context, zero setup. Its in NO way meant to be seen as a "beginning point" for ANYTHING other than the next story arc. It flows precisely and fluidly from where things left off in the aftermath of the 23rd Budokai and mostly hits the ground running from there without really stopping to look back. You're plopping someone into the middle of a book starting at chapter 195 out of 519 for absolutely no good goddamn reason, with very minimal opportunity to look back at much needed context and character/story growth.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Tue Jul 31, 2018 5:14 pm

Your best bet is to search out Funi's part 1, 2, 3 and 4, although I should emphasize its a bet because there have been later prints with Kikuchi. Another option is importing MangaUK's season 1 and 2 (2 has Yamamoto halfway through), which-god-only-knows-how-they-got-the-yamamoto-score.

And home video is your only option as far as I'm aware Kai is not available on any streaming services, Google Play or iTunes, if it was, very good chance they would use the Kikuchi score.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:26 pm

jpranevich wrote:Hey guys,

I know that there are complexities around reprints and such. Is there a convenient "buyers guide" that I can look at to help me pick and choose Kai Blu-ray releases that have the Kenji Yamamoto score? I am trying to watch the show the way it was originally presented on TV (in Japan) as much as possible. I'd also settle for a streaming version if there is one that has the original score but I expect those have all been updated by now.

I am months away from starting my watch of Kai (for the first time!), but I fear that the longer I wait the harder it will be to get the original score.

Thanks!
If you want to watch it in Japanese, you'll probably need fansubs for episode 53 onward. If you want to watch it in English, then you'll need to be careful when buying those first four "parts" from Funimation's release. I recal that they forgot to update the "Composed by Kenji Yamamoto" on the back for a while (or some-thing like that), so it might say Yamamoto on the back, but actually be Kikuchi.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Post by jpranevich » Sun Aug 05, 2018 3:17 pm

So, I want to watch it with the Yamamoto score because I have some desire to see things as they were originally seen.

But really, how "bad" is the replacement score? Is it like the same BGM for the entire season or does even the replacement score evolve over time? I guess what I am trying to say is: how much am I missing by not having the original?

Certainly getting fansubs doesn't seem like a worthwhile pursuit so I'll have to steel myself up for whatever I can find...

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Aug 05, 2018 5:36 pm

jpranevich wrote:So, I want to watch it with the Yamamoto score because I have some desire to see things as they were originally seen.

But really, how "bad" is the replacement score? Is it like the same BGM for the entire season or does even the replacement score evolve over time? I guess what I am trying to say is: how much am I missing by not having the original?

Certainly getting fansubs doesn't seem like a worthwhile pursuit so I'll have to steel myself up for whatever I can find...
Sadly, Kikuchi music placement is terrible in my opinion,first of all, they only use music from later parts of series from beginning to end, so expect hearing lots of Cell Saga music.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:30 pm

jpranevich wrote:So, I want to watch it with the Yamamoto score because I have some desire to see things as they were originally seen.

It's just that some of those later episodes only ever aired on TV with Yamamoto. Even the Japanese home release doesn't go till the end of the series with Yamamoto. Oh, and there's also a fan project in the Fan-Created Works section of the forum where I think you can get the later episodes of of the English dub with Yamamoto. I think you just splice with with your own personal copy of the episodes which would have the Kikuchi score.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."