Mis-speaking character names

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Mis-speaking character names

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:35 pm

Our podcast schedule is thrown a little outta whack this month (everyone has some crazy stuff going on right now), so I might have to cram in a back-burner topic for this coming weekend's show due to availability.

I did a bit of research already, but I know I'll forget some... plus, I'm at work right now and don't have my full notes on me...

What are some instances (manga and/or anime) where a character mis-speaks someone's name?

- 21st Tenka-ichi Budokai, announcer reads "Son Goku" as "Magogosora"
- 22nd Tenka-ichi Budokai, announcer reads "Chiaotzu" as "Gyoza"
- Goku occasionally says "Umigame" wrong
- "Man-Wolf" vs "Wolf-Man"
- Maybe Goku's shortening of "Ha-chan"

Anything else come to mind?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Mis-speaking character names

Post by B » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:49 pm

-Kuririn calling Bulma "Panchi" during the RR arc. He definitely does it when he comes back from the market with Lunch, but he may have done it once more while they were in the pirate cave. I forget.

Also, throwin' it out there, FUNi changes it to "Bloomer."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:50 pm

Yeah, adaptations of those jokes would be nice to have. I was planning on mentioning them if they were appropriate. I'd love to include how they were adapted in versions other than FUNimation's, too, so if you be foreign, you best be sharing! You have... uhh... a few hours :P.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Innagadadavida
I Live Here

Post by Innagadadavida » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:00 pm

In the FUNimation dub, Majin Buu said "Saiya-jin" as a mispronunciation of "Saiyan."

PS. I sent a email to the podcast email account. I hope I'm not to late to get it read on the show this week.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Feb 12, 2010 3:52 pm

B wrote:-Kuririn calling Bulma "Panchi" during the RR arc. He definitely does it when he comes back from the market with Lunch, but he may have done it once more while they were in the pirate cave. I forget.
Isn't "Panchi" Toriyama's quasi-official name for Bulma's mom?
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 12, 2010 4:56 pm

Goku said Uranai Baba's name wrong when they first met, though I can't remember what he called her.

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:48 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Yeah, adaptations of those jokes would be nice to have. I was planning on mentioning them if they were appropriate. I'd love to include how they were adapted in versions other than FUNimation's, too, so if you be foreign, you best be sharing! You have... uhh... a few hours :P.
From the Danish manga translation:
VegettoEX wrote:- 21st Tenka-ichi Budokai, announcer reads "Son Goku" as "Magogosora"
Changed to "Sun-gako" (and making Goku look a lot dumber than originally intended in the process)
VegettoEX wrote:- 22nd Tenka-ichi Budokai, announcer reads "Chiaotzu" as "Gyoza"
Changed to "Caruso".
VegettoEX wrote:- Goku occasionally says "Umigame" wrong
Ignored completely, from what I remember.
VegettoEX wrote:- "Man-Wolf" vs "Wolf-Man"
"Werewolf" VS "Were-human" (conveniently ignoring the fact that "were" means "man")
VegettoEX wrote:- Maybe Goku's shortening of "Ha-chan"
Changed to "Otto", an absolutely brilliant pun. It's a real, common name, and it's pronounced similarly to "otte", the Danish word for the number 8. I love this adaption, it's much better than the original joke.
B wrote:-Kuririn calling Bulma "Panchi" during the RR arc. He definitely does it when he comes back from the market with Lunch, but he may have done it once more while they were in the pirate cave. I forget.
Line changed to "You're the one with the panties, right?" Before learning the original line, I assumed it implied that Kame Sennin had been telling stories of his first meeting with Bulma. Ah well, it's funny even if it's a mistranslation.
Herms wrote:Goku said Uranai Baba's name wrong when they first met, though I can't remember what he called her.
Changed to "Uranai Papa", I think. Not quite sure.

"Den Store Saiyaman" (Great Saiyaman) was called ""Den Store Soyaman" (Great Soyaman) and "Den Store Sejrman" (Great Victoryman). Can't remember what he was called in the original, though.

SHINOBI-03
I Live Here

Post by SHINOBI-03 » Sat Feb 13, 2010 3:05 am

If you want some of Viz adaptations, Goku calls Uranai Baba "The Ball-seeing Crone" the first time and "The All-seeing Bone" in the second. ((I think in FUNimation's dub he calls her "Fortune Seller Baba"?))

And there is a student who called the Great Saiyaman "Great Tireman".

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Sat Feb 13, 2010 9:54 am

In the FUNimation Dragon Ball dub, The announcer mispronounces Goku's name as "Gokawa" at the 21st Tenkaichi Budokai.

The Time Traveller
Patreon Supporter

Post by The Time Traveller » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:45 am

Would Piccolo calling Gotenks "Trunten" multiple times count? He even did it when Gotenks announced his name...

Godo
I Live Here

Post by Godo » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:56 pm

In the Swedish version, the name changes are almost the same, except for some instances:
Adamant wrote: Changed to "Otto", an absolutely brilliant pun. It's a real, common name, and it's pronounced similarly to "otte", the Danish word for the number 8. I love this adaption, it's much better than the original joke.
Even though they used the "8" pun too, they called him "Åttan", rougly translated to "the eight".
Adamant wrote: "Den Store Saiyaman" (Great Saiyaman) was called ""Den Store Soyaman" (Great Soyaman) and "Den Store Sejrman" (Great Victoryman). Can't remember what he was called in the original, though.
They only used "Den store Soyamannen" which translates into "The Great Soy-man", as in Soy-sauce. And I guess that it was where they tried going with in the Danish version aswell.
But "Den Store Sejrman" wouldn't work in Swedish, as "Sejr" is translated into "Segrare", and thus wouldn't serve as something that would be possible to confuse "Saiya" with.

EDIT: I just went into my controlpanel and checked, so BBCode was on, but it says it's off when I go and try to edit this post. Any clues anyone?

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:41 pm

Godo wrote: They only used "Den store Soyamannen" which translates into "The Great Soy-man", as in Soy-sauce. And I guess that it was where they tried going with in the Danish version aswell.
Yeah, that was just me forgetting that the English word for soya is "soy".

Bura
Advanced Regular

Post by Bura » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:15 pm

Didn't Kuririn know Yajirobe's name when he came to get them in the Saiyajin arc?

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:12 am

He calls him "Armadillo" in Japanese. I forget why. In the original dub he calls him "Hokey-Pokey" and in the redub he just says he can't remember his name.

EDIT: Interestingly, in the redub, Yajirobe later says "Oh, and he wants you to bring Yamcha, and [b]Ten[/b]-somebody and Chao-whatever."

Why is it that in FUNimation's dub, people always get names wrong and they end up being more accurate? :P

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Thu Apr 22, 2010 2:57 pm

ThunderPX wrote:EDIT: Interestingly, in the redub, Yajirobe later says "Oh, and he wants you to bring Yamcha, and Ten-somebody and Chao-whatever."
That's a pretty straight translation from his original line, actually.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:05 pm

Yeah, but FUNimation isn't being consistent with their own naming schemes here. :P

Silver Sinspawn
Advanced Regular

Post by Silver Sinspawn » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:10 am

The announcer calls Goku Gakaya in the Funimation dub.

EDIT: Goku also calls Umigame "Urigame", since people somehow seem to forget.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:44 am

In the VIZ translation of the manga, the announcer calls Goku "Song Oku" in thee 21st Tenka-ichi Budokai... this mistake was not funny to me at all.

Piccolo Daimao
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Piccolo Daimao » Sat Dec 25, 2010 9:46 am

In Viz's adaptation of Goku getting Umigame's name wrong, he calls him "Seat Hurtle" instead of "Sea Turtle."

In Viz, when Yajirobe comes to tell Kuririn about them getting trained by God, Kuririn says, "You were the one at Karin's...um..."Itchy-robe"?"

In Viz, Goku uses the nickname "8-Man" for Android #8.

And finally, in Viz again, when the newly-fused Gotenks is about to fly off to fight Boo, Piccolo shouts, "Wait! Trunten!"

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Jan 07, 2011 11:57 am

[quote="Adamant"][quote="Herms"]Goku said Uranai Baba's name wrong when they first met, though I can't remember what he called her.[/quote]
Changed to "Uranai Papa", I think. Not quite sure.
[/quote]
That is true. I just checked.
EDIT: quote function isn't working for some reason..?