"Video Games Guide"

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gouki
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gouki » Sat Mar 12, 2005 9:23 am

Interesting, Australia, despite getting PAL conversions, gets the crappy American box art for almost all of the games. We also received the CCG. Again. Odd.
... Maybe later.

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri May 27, 2005 10:04 am

Budokai 3:

By far, perhaps the BEST Dragonball Z game yet. 36 characters, 4 fusions, improved graphics, and over-all sweetness. The gameplay has been vastly improved, most notably with the new Saiyan over-drive system, which allows free flight, teleporting, specific physical moves (such as Piccolo's stretching arms and Trunks' and Dabura's swords), and the new Dragon Rush addition definitly gives a feeling like your in an actual episode. The new Dragon Universe mode allows you to play out the story with 11 characters, all of them worth playing at least 3 times each, and in an RPG elemented mode. Making returns from previous Budokais are the Duel, World Tournament (now with a Cell Games selection), and Practice (with a nicly improved training selection) modes. One of the many meats and potatos has got to be the new Dragon Arena unlockable mode, in which a player can build up any character they want on a quest for many more unlockables, and even battle other online players by CPU. The what-If fusions are gone, but other than that, we get 7 new characters and all the previous Budokai 2 fighters, spanning from the Piccolo Daimou cast all the way to the Dark Dragons'. A definite must-get for any DB/Z/GT fan.

PS2 Sagas:

A purly made game in America, and by a new developing company. The game highlights the Raditz through Cell arcs, and is sometimes impressive while most of the time dissapointing. To say this game has a few flaws would be quite an understatment, but it certainly is an RPG game. Perhaps the best highlight would be the narrated Chapter 1 FMV sequence, which has all new digital animation by Toei, definitly worth to check out. Then comes the story mode of "Play Sagas", it's a straight forward RPG, using a combo of cut-scenes from the DBZ series and full out adventure-styled traveling that includes fighting Saibamen, Prototype androids, and the main bosses. Among the many adventures and quests includes an original sub-plot of Goku on Yardrat, as well as the "History of Trunks" special, which utilizes the Uncut version for it's cut scenes, and "Play Sagas" can be done with 1 or 2 player. Once beating the full mode, you unlock Pendulam Room in which you can reinact any of the adventures with new unlocked characters, including Mirai Gohan, Bardock, and Broly. There's also the tutorial mode in which you can practice with Goku on Kami's palace, as well as the "Extras" mode in which you can watch all cut scenes in a 30 minute mini movie. Unfortunatly though, there are too many flaws for the gameplay, too few limited moves for the players, and too many of the same character in Pendulam Play. This game is a definite must-rent, most definitly for the 30 minute mini movie in "Extras", but you'll find yourself limited in some gameplay aspects, as well as having to defeat all side characters to progress. Most definitly not the best DBZ game.

Sorry that I posted another Budokai 3 review, just felt like reviewing it.
Last edited by Conan the SSJ on Sat May 28, 2005 3:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
14 years later

Adnan
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adnan » Fri May 27, 2005 10:56 am

Conan the SSJ wrote:Budokai 3:
...and the new Dragon Rush addition definitly gives a feeling like your in an actual episode.
Ugh.... I hated the Dragon Rush. It used to be frustrating 'cause the CPU overuses it, until it became an advantage (very easy to dodge it and make the CPU run out of energy).

Instead it just became a complete waste of time. Wish there was a way to just completely disable it from the game in the options menu (right next to the non-existent "Japanese mode" option :D).

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri May 27, 2005 1:35 pm

Adnan wrote:(right next to the non-existent "Japanese mode" option :D).
Heh, I hear ya'. If they would of done that, I would be in tears out of respect for Atari. Unfortunatly they didn't, and brought groans of anger with Sagas. But hey, I got a 20 buck mint copy, so I'm not complaining.
14 years later

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri May 27, 2005 4:27 pm

Not a thread for discussing the games. Thanks.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Conan the SSJ
I Live Here

Post by Conan the SSJ » Fri May 27, 2005 5:46 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Not a thread for discussing the games. Thanks.
Sorry EX, anyhow I hope you use my reviews.
14 years later

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:33 pm

Been taking a very in-depth look at this section again. Let's ignore anything that's been previously said in the thread, because I have a hard time figuring out what's been looked at and what hasn't been so much time passes :D.

Take another look at the page, and see what you can come up with. Things I need:

(1) Game descriptions. These descriptions are not to "hype" or "sell" the game; they're to be un-biased, descriptive paragraphs about the game. Please feel free to write for any of the games that don't have anything, yet.

(2) Box art I may not have, yet. Only for the games listed, please.

(3) Release dates I may not have, yet. Only for the games listed, please.

http://www.daizex.com/guides/games/ -- Much thanks!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Slickmasterfunk
Regular

Post by Slickmasterfunk » Sun Jul 24, 2005 5:32 pm

I don't have an image of the box, but you have Dragon Ball Advanced Adventure listed as "Not Released in This Country" for Europe. That's something that could be done.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:14 am

Not sure if you want to use it or not but IGN has a (watermarked) boxart of Jump Superstars' cover for the Nintendo DS.

http://media.ds.ign.com/media/706/70689 ... 98624.html
-Laserkid

lost in thought
Advanced Regular

Post by lost in thought » Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:32 am

( 1 ) Description:
Coming literally out of no where, Branpresto has yet again set the stage for another DragonBall title, but not of the normal roster; as this game takes place during the early days of Son Goku's adventure.
In and of itself, Advance Adventure is a quirky, yet generic action title that tries to hold the pace, and style of DragonBall, without ruining the charm of the story. Advance Adventure was released in Japan, as well as Europe, however all information points to no US release.

Though experience varies person to person, I think I can safely say that the product overall is as fun as any handheld game of its nature can get.

( 2 ) Box art can be found here

( 3 ) European release date: 06/17/05.

Here's my take on DragonBall Advance Adventure. Hope it's alright.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Sun Aug 14, 2005 8:59 am

Why would you create separate sections for the same game, but for different platforms? )Example: Budokai2 and Sagas).
The games are almost identical. The games whcih do differ could have a little info box telling us what the extra's for certain systems are.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun Aug 14, 2005 4:36 pm

Jord wrote:Why would you create separate sections for the same game, but for different platforms? )Example: Budokai2 and Sagas).
The games are almost identical. The games whcih do differ could have a little info box telling us what the extra's for certain systems are.
? I thought they were completely different games. :?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:12 pm

He is reffering to their multiplatform status methinks, so PS2 Budokai and GCN Budokai would be listed together for example.
-Laserkid

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:41 pm

Yes, I mean like Sagas GC ,Sagas PS2 and Sagas XBX.
Where multiplatform games get enhancements it could be noted at the botoom of the article.

Son Goku
Regular

Post by Son Goku » Fri Aug 19, 2005 3:48 pm

Like GCN's Budokai's celshading and Budokai 2's extra costumes?
I also go by "veemonjosh".

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:16 pm

Yeeeeah... kinda want more than poorly written one-sentence advertisements... :(

m121akuma
Beyond Newbie

Post by m121akuma » Thu Jan 12, 2006 2:20 pm

Um, Sparking is under the GC Games category.

Might wanna fix that...

The Saiyan

Post by The Saiyan » Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:27 pm

I'm new here but love your site. I would like to help out with your games section if possible. In your guide you state that it would be impossible to do a game guide like you would want to but I would be willing to help make this section. I have quite a few ideas if your interested.

dowlingusa

Post by dowlingusa » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:52 pm

Dragonball Z: Collectible Card Game:

This game features a unique card battling system, that can be increasingly difficult to understand as you progress in the game. You can choose from a select few of characters to "fight" with (including: Goku, Gohan, Piccolo, etc.). The overall battle system is an incredibly difficult system to understand to begin with, and the tutorial doesn't help. You progress in the game by defeating enemy after enemy to progress to what resembles a story line, eventually ending with Cell. Overall, the game is incredibly flawed in that the card system is difficult to grasp, and plays through little of the actual storyline.

Note: I'm really sorry for bringing up a dead topic, but I was looking at the review and, well, "Blah, blah, blah, blah..." felt a little off. Again, sorry. Looking for things to do on this fine, tornado-fied day.
"I said you smell like toenails!!!"

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:19 pm

dowlingusa wrote:Note: I'm really sorry for bringing up a dead topic, but I was looking at the review and, well, "Blah, blah, blah, blah..." felt a little off. Again, sorry. Looking for things to do on this fine, tornado-fied day.
I'd assume the "Blah, blah, blah, blah..." is merely a place-holder, since it has the same thing for several different games.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.