Akira Toriyama in American Jump

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Akira Toriyama in American Jump

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:37 am

This is a humble request to anyone who happens to have saved their old issues of the US Shonen Jump magazine published by Viz (as well as people knowledgeable about the Advanced/Alpha stuff, which I have no clue about).

While I'm aware that there has been at least one Q&A thing, photos from a public appearance (the one he mentions in Son Goku Densetsu), and an interview where he drew a picture of one character or another and forgot who Karin-sama was, I'm curious to know whether he had any other highlights in the magazine. I'm also interested in something I read about him and Masakazu Katsura having a joint interview about their series Jiya for Shonen Jump Alpha (or at the very least, that the topic of him and the origins of Fusion came up while Katsura was being interviewed; I really have no idea).

While these aren't things we could really include in the "Translations" section (since the translations would be the magazine's and not ours), it would still be useful to have an archive of some sort of them so we can point to a specific issue/page/etc. as need be. I'd like to get my proverbial hands on that very first Q&A he did in particular, because some of the items were cherry-picked and mixed with pure BS to form the backbone of one of the fake "interviews" that gets passed around the Internet; an unadulterated copy without the crap added by fans over the years would be nice.

Scans or transcriptions would be appreciated, though scans are preferable as mistakes tend to insinuate themselves through the latter.

As always, your reward will be my eternal gratitude. And maybe a copy of one of the Daizenshuu that are sitting untouched in the Book-Off near where I work. We'll see.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Akira Toriyama in American Jump

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:03 pm

I tossed out most of my Shonen Jump issues, but I do believe I kept all the Toriyama related interview pieces and such (as well as anything related to Dragon Ball manga wise that hasn't seen another release; Cross Epoch, Neko Majin Z5). I'll look through 'em now and scan what I have in terms of interviews or statements he made, but I can't do anything with any Alpha exclusives though.

I think the interview with them together was for Jiya in the Japanese magazine it ran in. Katsura's US SJ interview was for Sachie-chan, here is part of it (assuming it's the right one): http://shonenjump.viz.com/katsura-nycc-interview It has the bits about how he met Toriyama and the whole Fusion thing, but if there is any more to it, it will have to come from someone else.

EDIT: Okay. I don't know how many interviews Toriyama did with Shonen Jump, but I have 6. One of them is only partially related to Dragon Ball, as he is asked about the series during a Dragon Quest interview. That one and one other I can't source which book it came from though, as I apparently just ripped the pages from the issues so that I could conserve even more space... I'll get to scanning them though.

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:20 pm

The interview TheDevilsCorpse posted is separate interview that happened at NYCC. The joint interview for Sachie-chan Good!! is in their 2013 yearbook and there are only passing comments on the franchise. It also does not mention where it's from like other interviews translated from other publications, so I assume it's an original one for SJA.

There are two mentions of DB in the interview. There's one comparing the early shower scenes in DB to Katsura's work and another about Sachie being a modern female Goku. These are only a sentence or two, but there's still cool insight about Toriyama's thought process and his collaboration with Katusura. If you still want it I would first have to find a way to get copies from my browser because the physical copy is noticeably shorter.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:54 pm

It was probably the follow up interview that was posted alongside Sachie-chan when it was originally published, as I think I remember there being a dual interview for that one as well. But unlike for the Jiya scanlation, they didn't translate the interview for that one... I've got the RAWs for the interview though because it has Toriyama sketches for the character, so I can include them with the scans to see if it's the same one.

BTW, I'm about halfway done so far. Trying to squeeze the scans in between other things I have to do today. Will be finished before the end of the night though.
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Sat Jan 19, 2013 4:56 pm

Well, shit. I every issue of Viz's JUMP (including issue #0!). I have a scanner, but I'm not sure I can make clean scans. TheDevilsCorpse seems to have it covered, though.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:09 pm

I didn't stay subscribed up till the end of the print run of the magazine, I stopped shortly after Neko Majin z5 was released, and then only made sure to pick up the Cross Epoch issue when it came out. You might have something I don't, so it probably wouldn't hurt to browse through the TOC for anything after the October 2007 issue.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:20 pm

JulieYBM wrote:Well, shit. I every issue of Viz's JUMP (including issue #0!). I have a scanner, but I'm not sure I can make clean scans. TheDevilsCorpse seems to have it covered, though.
Well, if you can corroborate which issues / pages the things he posts are from, and fill in any gaps in his collection, that should be enough. But quality scans are less important to me than simply having an accessible record of his comments in that magazine, since English speaking fans are more familiar with that than the various Japanese publications (apart from "the Daiz", anyway).

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:19 am

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:And here it is good sir: https://dl.dropbox.com/s/yw11ffwdkrljyu ... s.rar?dl=1
Thanks for that!

I actually have the entire Sachie-chan Gu! interview (both Side A and Side B) from Jump SQ, but Dragon Ball is referenced only briefly and tangentially (Katsura needling Toriyama about his coloring style and his use of perverted scenes towards the beginning of the series), so I'm probably not going to be translating it unless we do a podcast on Toriyama/Katsura collaborations at some point. I'm interested in seeing if there were any interviews with one or both of them for the first two chapters of Jiya, though... I made the mistake of not picking up the magazine at the time because I was busy and didn't have any shelf space at the time (I later bought another bookcase). Maybe Peking Duck knows.

Also, I'm pretty sure the ones you've labeled "unknown" are from the November 2007 issue, since they follow up on the Q&A from the October 2007 issue, which they refer to as "last month".

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:01 pm

SaiyaJedi wrote:so I'm probably not going to be translating it unless we do a podcast on Toriyama/Katsura collaborations at some point.
Yes. Do it. Now. My fan heart cannot wait. I need this in my life.

Gushing (and joking...probably) aside, I for one would be extremely interested in hearing such a podcast, or even just an article of some sort about Toriyama's collaborations with other authors (though that would really just be Katsura and Oda, wouldn't it?).

As for that Jiya interview, I believe I have that myself, though I'm not sure if it's just the current translation of it, or if it also includes the kanji to the side, for the purpose of re-translation if you were to need it. I'll have to check. Anyway, it's definitely only the 'last' interview with them, after Chapter 3, that I've got. I was unaware that there were any before that for that crossover.

I absolutely love the fact that, despite Katsura's penchant for drawing scantily clad girls, it seems like Toriyama is the more perverted one sometimes. The way they bicker like a married couple in that interview is hilariously awesome.

Edit: Just checked, yeah, my copy of the Jiya interview does have the original kanji untranslated version as well as the current translation. They're kind of shoehorned into the same image though, so I'm not sure if the kanji side is large enough to make out...most of the characters are readable (I assume anyway), but some of the bolded ones might be a little hard to figure out, I don't know.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:47 pm

Toriyama has a new series: Jaco the Galactic Patrolman coming out July 15!

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Mon Jul 01, 2013 5:30 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:Toriyama has a new series: Jaco the Galactic Patrolman coming out July 15!
We'll be getting it over here on the 13th (since that Monday is a holiday). I'm looking forward to it.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Jul 01, 2013 7:31 pm

I was NOT expecting Viz to announce it for their new digital Jump, though. So glad I scored a subscription.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:53 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:Toriyama has a new series: Jaco the Galactic Patrolman coming out July 15!
[Snip]]
Yes... We've already talked about this in other thread: http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... =7&t=23961

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:57 pm

OK, folks... this thread has nothing to do with Toriyama's new series, and was a very specific request that has been filled. Thank you...!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::