Got Kanzenban volume 16 in Japanese? Help us out!

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Got Kanzenban volume 16 in Japanese? Help us out!

Post by SaiyaJedi » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:51 pm

Hey there, Kanzenshuu-ers,

As part of our continuing drive to improve the Manga Guide, we've been going through and adding things like Akira Toriyama's comments from the Weekly Shōnen Jump table of contents, behind the scenes information, and also title pages from the Full Color edition and select Jump issues.

Anyway, while we were working on Chapter 229, we found a major difference between title pages: While the Dragon Ball logo in our copy of Kanzenban volume 16 was misspelled (and the chapter also mislabeled as "Chapter 279"):

...It was actually correct in the Full Color edition:

And in fact, it was also correct in Jump:

In search of an answer, I turned to Book Off, where I quickly discovered that some Kanzenban copies were mispelled and mislabeled, while others, like this one here, were not:

Searching through multiple stores and copies, I have determined thus far that the changeover occurred sometime between the 6th and 8th printings. But I have yet to locate copies from the 6th or 7th printing to be sure exactly where.

That's where you come in.

Do you have a copy of Kanzenban volume 16? If so, please help us out!

First, turn to the back of the book, and take a look at the copyright page. It should look something like this:

See those dates and numbers under the book's title? The first line is the date of the first printing (which will also be the only one you see if you have a first-edition copy). The second line, which is the one we're interested here, has the effective publication date of that particular copy, as well as the number of the printing itself. (The copy in the image above is from the 9th printing, with an effective publication date of 12 July 2006.)

Is the number of the printing 6 or 7? If so, turn to the title page gallery in the back of the book and locate the title page for Chapter 229 (the one that's on this page multiple times). Please check the spelling of the Dragon Ball logo, then reply to us in this thread and let us know (a) what number printing you have, and (b) whether the logo is spelled correctly or incorrectly.

As always, you will get our eternal gratitude, and the satisfaction of knowing you've helped us unravel the mystery of a little-noticed change.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Javaki
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Got Kanzenban volume 16? Help us out!

Post by Javaki » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:17 am

I never noticed it before, but it's also misspelled in my German copy of Daizenshuu 1:
https://googledrive.com/host/0B49X5rzo3 ... onball.JPG

Edit: It's also misspelled in my Japanese Chōgashū:
https://googledrive.com/host/0B49X5rzo3 ... gashuu.JPG

Aritz182

Re: Got Kanzenban volume 16? Help us out!

Post by Aritz182 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 6:16 pm

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Got Kanzenban volume 16 in Japanese? Help us out!

Post by DaemonCorps » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:29 am

Do have the volume, but don't have either printing, sorry! If it helps, the typo's still there for the first printing of Kanzenban 16.

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:34 am

I can hit up some Book Off / Mandarake stores here in Tokyo over the weekend and see if I can come up with anything.

Edit: I checked a few places in Akihabara today but all the stores seemed to carry were the first print editions.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of the Book-Off stores will only have one copy of each volume up on the shelf for space / aesthetic reasons. And then as soon as someone buys a volume they'll pull another copy out of storage and replace it on the shelf. What I did at the Book-Offs I went to was explain that I was looking for a particular printing of this volume and asked if it's possible for them to check their stock to see if they have any other copies.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:45 pm

How are the titles themselves created? Is "DRAGON BALL" hand-drawn each time or does Toriyama draw it once and use it as a stencil? Is the title actually drawn on the page with Goku and Gohan riding the dinosaur or is it placed there and scanned on top of it?

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Thu Feb 12, 2015 12:46 am

Tyro wrote:How are the titles themselves created? Is "DRAGON BALL" hand-drawn each time or does Toriyama draw it once and use it as a stencil? Is the title actually drawn on the page with Goku and Gohan riding the dinosaur or is it placed there and scanned on top of it?
That's a good question, actually. The logos we see most often are, I believe, drawn once by Toriyama and then re-used, but I'm not as certain about less-common or one-off logos, like the jaunty one (with hand-drawn kana) that's seen on this particular title page.

For what it's worth, the illustration appears by itself (with a pencilled-in title) in Akira Toriyama: The World, but it doesn't mean Toriyama didn't draw the logo separately and have it added in after the fact.

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Thu Feb 12, 2015 7:21 pm

Is it possible that the title is made of individual letters that get arranged for each title page, and that someone at Shueisha accidentally misspelled "DRAGON BALL" as "DAGON BALL" during the kanzenban creating process?

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:15 am

So, was the change from being mispelled to being spelled correctly, or the other way around? Well, my first edition volume 16 has it mispelled, so I guess that would answer my own question.

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Feb 13, 2015 9:12 pm

Tyro wrote:Is it possible that the title is made of individual letters that get arranged for each title page, and that someone at Shueisha accidentally misspelled "DRAGON BALL" as "DAGON BALL" during the kanzenban creating process?
The "DAGON BALL" version is found in Daizenshuu 1 (the index even points out the error), so at the very least it predates the kanzenban.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

SaiyaJedi

Post by SaiyaJedi » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:32 pm

Thanks for the help, everyone. I am pleased to announce that we have now obtained a copy of the sixth printing (from July 2005), which contains the correction. The question is now resolved!