"Dear Fanboys..."

Help the Kanzenshuu staff beta-test new sections, new website initiatives, and more!

Moderators: Kanzenshuu Staff, General Help

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16060
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Postby VegettoEX » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:08 pm

No, I understand completely... remember, I'm coming from the same exact type of community (anime music videos); there's plenty of people that can create an absolutely outstanding video, just as there are 500% more who can't throw something together worth shit.

And there's a reason I didn't add it to the page. I'm welcoming suggestions, here... not necessarily going to add them.

parron wrote:Incredibly, as you'll see both stories that say "Review or I won't update!" and stories with 1,000+ reviews without even whoring for readers...

I think it's the same with any type of fandom; fanfics, AMVs, cosplay, whatever. The truly "good" stuff doesn't need whoring to get the attention it does and will deserve.

But back to suggestions ^_~
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| VegettoEX.com |] ::

User avatar
Xyex
I Live Here
Posts: 4978
Joined: Sat Apr 03, 2004 7:15 am
Location: The 7th moon of nowhere, right-side of forever
Contact:

Postby Xyex » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:09 pm

As to that Dear Fanfic Writters thing, I kind of agree. I mean, I write them and I'll talk about them to anyone that would listen so I can get input on them. But try not to go around shoving it down people's throats as 'the best Fanfic evar!'. In fact, while I do think I've got two that are top notch, I know of several by other authors that make them look like utter crap, and have one fic I wrote that even I think is utter crap. Oh, and Liam, I got the same feeling from your first comment as parron did.


And GOD I HATE those "Review me or I wont update!" people. -_- I mean, yeah, I love reviews, but god that is PATHETIC!
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

parron
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:42 pm
Location: USA
Contact:

Postby parron » Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:21 pm

Hm... I have one, although it's more of a "dear fangirls" then fanboys...


"DBZ is NOT a romance anime.

...So stop whining that there weren't enough Bulma/Vegeta "moments" and rent Fushugi Yuugi instead.

That, or maybe:

The card game -- Japanese or American -- is not the "accurate way of detirmining character strength."

...So please stop using it as "proof" in "stronger then" disscussions.

User avatar
NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie
Posts: 82
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 6:25 am
Contact:

Postby NeverRamza » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:49 am

Calling DBZ a children's show always seemed to be a little to based in shocking people to use in a facts section. Something you say just to counter those who call it an adult show just to piss them off. Hearing "children's show" personally reminds me of shows such as Pokemon, Digimon, Fairly Odd Parents, and whatever. DBZ is a significant level above those maturity wise. Not saying that it's for adults, but calling it a children's show seems a little too vague of a classification. I mean, when you get down to discussing intended audiences, you could argue that ultra-violent titles like Fist of the North Star are intended for children along with titles with rape such as Tenjou Tenge (as well as the near softcore porn that comes with the mag) are intended for children. Or at least older boys, who are still children in a sense anyway. Same goes for Berserk.

DBZ is marketed towards a younger audience but I always figured it was a show for whoever was willing to spend their time and cash on it. The show isn't just for children. Straight up calling it a children's show just to push people's buttons seems to be a bit too silly. I'd rather just keep the standard we already have for when we think of children's shows and just consider DBZ "for a slightly older audience".

User avatar
Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5477
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Postby Jerseymilk » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:12 am

But it wasn't made for a "slightly older audience". DB was featured in Shonen Jump. Shonen means "young boys or juveniles". Sometimes I seen it translated as "early years" even. That 's what the magazine was aimed at, therefore DB was too. What is so wrong with calling it what it is? It doesn't take away any of the enjoyment or merit that we give it. It shouldn't be considered an insult. And yes, people of all ages can enjoy the show, because even though it was originally aimed at children, it's a good enough show that older people can find things about it to enjoy too. It was C.S. Lewis that said that the only adults that are childish are the ones that constantly worry about looking or acting childish. And putting DB on the same level as shows like Beserk makes absolutely no sense to me. :?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family
Posts: 3145
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:39 am

Postby MajinVejitaXV » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:21 am

Nice list. Saw a few that had applied to me at one point, maybe still do on some level.

And yes, DB/Z is for children. Censorship standards are different in this country and Japan, hence most saying it was targeted at adults (it wasn't, our broadcast standards are just so damned uptight because seeing Raditz blast Piccolo's arm off will obviously lead to you shooting up your school).

And I just romanize Vejita the way I do because kana translations are open to interpretation. Hell, Daimao translated Bardock as Burdock, and I think we can all agree that Daimao isn't being some rabid fanboy.

I've got one, btw:

Calling yourself an "otaku" isn't something to be proud of

An otaku is looked down upon as someone who has no life whatsoever. I mean, have you seen Sailor Bacon? Man-Faye?

Image

IS THIS REALLY WHO YOU WANT TO BE LIKE?!

Be an anime fan, not an otaku. And for god's sake, don't form an otaku *alliance*. Jeez... ;p

-Corey

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:41 pm
Location: Fukui Pref. Japan...for reals

Postby omae no kaasan » Sun Oct 10, 2004 3:51 pm

Hmmmm, this may not apply anymore. I'm not sure what the waters are like anymore in the US Japanese animation fan community....but so long as this is for fanboys.

The animation is so much better than the comic.

An opinion is an opinion so I really can't argue with that. However, I would be remiss in neglecting to point this out.

Akira Toriyama did not sit down and draw 40,000 pages of animation storyboards (the actual number) for 508 episodes. Toriyama sensei did some designs, consulting and yes, even memos for the animation and movies, but there is not one account of Toriyama sitting down and inking or coloring a single animation frame. What Akira Toriyama did was sit himself down and sketch and ink the same story from 1984-1995.

The reason the animation that you enjoy exists is because of Toriyama sensei's work on the comic. Without the comic, there would be no animation to start with. Although Japanese animation is gaining popularity by the second in the US, across the Pacific, comics have and probablly always will be the most popular form of drawn/cel-shaded/cg entertainment. Most regular fans didn't even see the Buu saga.

You don't have to believe me, keep on watching crap like Angelic Star-Dust Shining Cat Maid to feel like you're turning more Japanese. Then go to Japan and you'll learn the meaning of "otaku".


Image
"Hi! I'm Tsutomu Miyazaki! I ate little girls' wrists after I cooked them! I'm also a certified otaku!"

johnboy1
Regular
Posts: 689
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2004 7:15 pm

Postby johnboy1 » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:16 pm

Err... out of curiosity, how can you eat someone's wrists? Is there a clearly defined anatomical border that you can cut along to sever someone's wrists? And what was that guy an "otaku" of?
To a strong man, the end justifies the means. To a stronger man, the means justify the end.

User avatar
Mugenmidget
Regular
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:43 pm

Postby Mugenmidget » Sun Oct 10, 2004 7:21 pm

johnboy1 wrote:Err... out of curiosity, how can you eat someone's wrists? Is there a clearly defined anatomical border that you can cut along to sever someone's wrists? And what was that guy an "otaku" of?


Eating wrists.

Otaku is like derogatory in Japan so it doesn't just associate itself with animation.

theslug
Newbie
Posts: 3
Joined: Wed May 26, 2004 9:08 pm

Postby theslug » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:03 pm

Stop going on about all the "evil things" FUNimation did 3/4/5/6/etc. years ago. No, really. The show is essentially over and done being recorded. There's only a couple DBZ movies left, and that's it. There's nothing left to "save." It's over. You lost. Sure, there were plenty of bad (and sometimes moronic) things done within the English dub... but it's over. Stop living in the past. If you have such a problem with the dub, just ignore it. There are plenty of other ways you can get your precious original Japanese version, both legal and illegal. We don't care. Just shut up.

Well said, and I'm glad to see someone thinks this way too. I prefer the Japanese version as much as the next guy, but never saw any point in bashing the dub. When an anime gets dubbed, it's not like the original goes anywhere. It's still going to be around. If people like the Japanese version that much more, they should just watch it and forget the dub exists.

User avatar
PsyLiam
I Live Here
Posts: 2064
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:13 pm
Location: Liverpool, UK
Contact:

Postby PsyLiam » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:30 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:And I just romanize Vejita the way I do because kana translations are open to interpretation. Hell, Daimao translated Bardock as Burdock, and I think we can all agree that Daimao isn't being some rabid fanboy.

Of course they're open to interpretation, but if Toriyama has based a name around an English word, then it makes sense that the English version of it should reflect that word. So even though "Se-ru" may be technically correct, it's also a bit silly.

With regards to "Vejita" and "Burdock", I'm guessing that Steve chose the spelling that he did because it makes the pun more obvious. With the Prince of Saiyans, the name is obviously suppossed to be a pun (and pronounced like) "vegetable", so "Vegeta" seems the most obvious spelling. "Vejita" and it's ilk always struck me as being different for the sake of being different. Like the reason that many people (including VegEX) used "G.o.k.o.u".

"Oh, everyone and FUNi spells it 'Goku', so I will spell it "Gok-ou" in order to show my SUPER ANIME KNOWLEDGE I AM HARDCORE FUCK YOU FAGIMATION!"
Romana: "I don't think we should interfere."
Doctor: "Interfere? Of course we should interfere! Always do what you're best at, that's what I say."
-Doctor Who: Nightmare Of Eden

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16060
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Postby VegettoEX » Sun Oct 10, 2004 8:42 pm

Also, "Burdock" isn't a romanization of the katakana; "baadakku" is. Writing it as such is just retarded :P
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| VegettoEX.com |] ::

omae no kaasan
OMG ULTIMATE DBZ INF0RZ D00D
Posts: 508
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:41 pm
Location: Fukui Pref. Japan...for reals

Postby omae no kaasan » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:22 pm

Hell, Daimao translated Bardock as Burdock,


But...that's because that's what it refers to...did I miss something?

User avatar
VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 16060
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:10 pm
Location: New Jersey
Contact:

Postby VegettoEX » Sun Oct 10, 2004 9:30 pm

I think there's confusion on "different romanizations/spellings" and "flat-out this is how it's romanized, so that's how I'm going to spell it."

We spell it Bardock. Steve spells it Burdock. The actual kana comes out to "baadakku." It would simply be retarded to walk around spelling names like "Baadakku" or "Seru" and such when they're obviously referring to some kind of logical English word (or something else that makes sense for a certain spelling).

But anyway, back to the suggestions :P
:: [| Michael "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu |] - [| VegettoEX.com |] ::

MajinVejitaXV
Slut of the Daizenshuu EX Family
Posts: 3145
Joined: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:39 am

Postby MajinVejitaXV » Sun Oct 10, 2004 10:38 pm

PsyLiam wrote:With regards to "Vejita" and "Burdock", I'm guessing that Steve chose the spelling that he did because it makes the pun more obvious. With the Prince of Saiyans, the name is obviously suppossed to be a pun (and pronounced like) "vegetable", so "Vegeta" seems the most obvious spelling. "Vejita" and it's ilk always struck me as being different for the sake of being different. Like the reason that many people (including VegEX) used "G.o.k.o.u".

"Oh, everyone and FUNi spells it 'Goku', so I will spell it "Gok-ou" in order to show my SUPER ANIME KNOWLEDGE I AM HARDCORE FUCK YOU FAGIMATION!"


FUNi spelled Freeza as 'F r i e z a', I spell Vegeta as 'Vejita'. We're even :P

And I believe some other adaptations have used that spelling, it's not like it's a huge difference. Also, its not like we called the Ginyu Corps. members 'Butter and Juice', even thought they are puns on said words, no?

-Corey

Edit: Damn you and your censors, I was making a point ;p

User avatar
SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator
Posts: 2383
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:24 pm
Location: Osaka
Contact:

Postby SaiyaJedi » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:44 pm

MajinVejitaXV wrote:And I believe some other adaptations have used that spelling, it's not like it's a huge difference. Also, its not like we called the Ginyu Corps. members 'Butter and Juice', even thought they are puns on said words, no?

Actually, "Jiisu" is a pun on "Chiizu" (cheese), with the diacritic on the "su" kana moved to a different character ("chi," which, due to Japanese spelling conventions, becomes "shi" with the nigori diacritic making it "ji"). Hence Viz's spelling of "Jheese." 8)
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

User avatar
Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5477
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Postby Jerseymilk » Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:46 pm

Actually Jeez or Jeice, whichever spelling you use is a pun on "cheese". All of Ginyu's men including himself are puns on dairy products. I'm pretty sure last time I checked, juice wasn't a dairy product. :wink:

For those wondering about what omae is referring to with Mr. "Psycho Otaku" eating girl's wrists and why you might not want to refer to yourself as an otaku when in Japan, click on the link below. I would explain it myself, but I'm feeling too mentally lazy tonight. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otaku
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"

B-kun: "What?"

Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

User avatar
Mugenmidget
Regular
Posts: 575
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2004 6:43 pm

Postby Mugenmidget » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:41 am

Slightly off topic, but is "premier" a typo in the context it is used?

The only reason I ask is because it seems premiere is more fitting.

EDIT: To be more specific, I'm referring to the title of the newspost regarding this new article.

User avatar
Super Sonic
I Live Here
Posts: 4945
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2004 4:45 pm

Postby Super Sonic » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:47 am

I heard that in Japan, an otaku is basically equivalent to a crazy Star Trek/Star Wars fan. Also I say to the crazy fanboys, no matter what you say about Funimation, be glad at least we got all of DBZ (not counting the rest of the movies or the eps of the first 2 seasons that have yet to be rereleased) in the US. Who knows when or if "Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars" will be released here.

User avatar
Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here
Posts: 5477
Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2004 2:01 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada
Contact:

Postby Jerseymilk » Mon Oct 11, 2004 12:56 am

As it stands now. It will never be released here. TOEI doesn't want the rest of the world to know about Sailor Stars because they have an established market in other countries promoting Sailor Moon as a "little girl's show". And ADV has given up trying to negotiate with them.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"

B-kun: "What?"

Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."


Return to “Staff Help Requests”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests