"Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" FUNimation Dub Official Discussion Thread

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Tue May 23, 2017 6:27 am

DBGT101 wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=562txXVVBro
The artist that preformed the English version of starring star released a chiptune cover of the song. Gives us a look at the full TV-size version's lyrics.
Replace the Starring Star with Shining Star and this is definitely what the full version will be like on the Blu-ray in terms of lyrics. Is anyone here going to be buying Super Part 1?
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 23, 2017 2:43 pm

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Tue May 23, 2017 4:21 pm

Godamn it! I saw a fake voice acting casting call for Gowasu. The link is broken now and doesn't work. It wasn't real anyways. I smiled like the Grinch when I first saw it because I have a good old man voice, but of course it was too good to be true. Funimation wouldn't hold it to the public anyway and they would want professional VA's.

Some people have nothing better to do than to troll people hard.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Tue May 23, 2017 4:28 pm

Caulifla best girl! :)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue May 23, 2017 4:48 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:
July 25th, not 26th.
Oops. You're right. My mistake.

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Wed May 24, 2017 3:40 pm

I do wonder what it would've been like if Dragon Ball Super had a SimulDub, where the episodes air on Fuji TV in Japan, we get the episodes on Crunchyroll an hour after it aired in Japan, with English subtitles, and then two weeks later, we get the episodes dubbed on Toonami (Ya know, similar to what Funimation is doing with the second season of Attack on Titan).
Caulifla best girl! :)

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 27, 2017 2:30 pm

I still haven't seen a lot of this dub, I hope Vale loses that rasp he had for Kai.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 27, 2017 4:34 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I still haven't seen a lot of this dub, I hope Vale loses that rasp he had for Kai.
I blame One Piece for introducing any rasp his Trunks voice has if anyone has problems with it. Like Sabat's Piccolo voice being exactly like his Zoro voice, or at least is very close to it, Vale's Trunks voice is influenced by his Sanji portrayal being that voice tone with more rasp. Same with Clinkenbeard's annoying & grating Gohan & Goku voice being EXACTLY the same as her Luffy voice & not fitting them as a result. It's not the same thing with Vale & Sabat's newer voices not fitting the characters anymore, but the portrayals ARE noticeably different & can be base breaking.
Only dubs that matter are DB, Kai, & Super. Nothing else.
Vic Mignogna: Good actor & singer, but a MAJOR douchebag & idiot.
https://www.youtube.com/user/Scsigs
https://twitter.com/Scsigs

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat May 27, 2017 4:43 pm

Hey! Dont blame One Piece like that. He has a normal voice there!
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 27, 2017 5:04 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I still haven't seen a lot of this dub, I hope Vale loses that rasp he had for Kai.
I blame One Piece for introducing any rasp his Trunks voice has if anyone has problems with it. Like Sabat's Piccolo voice being exactly like his Zoro voice, or at least is very close to it, Vale's Trunks voice is influenced by his Sanji portrayal being that voice tone with more rasp. Same with Clinkenbeard's annoying & grating Gohan & Goku voice being EXACTLY the same as her Luffy voice & not fitting them as a result. It's not the same thing with Vale & Sabat's newer voices not fitting the characters anymore, but the portrayals ARE noticeably different & can be base breaking.
I don't find Clinkenbeard's Gohan that grating, at least when Gohan's not yelling. I'd say Saffron Henderson had the best voice for him.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 27, 2017 6:25 pm

Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Hey! Don't blame One Piece like that. He has a normal voice there!
Who, Vale or Sabat? If it's Vale, yeah, I somewhat agree. The voice only has his Trunks voice as an ASPECT of it, but it IS very raspy as a result. It's what's influenced his Trunks voice for sure. However, it's also like Sonny Strait's Krillin VS Usopp, where they have the same exact voice tone, but his Krillin voice is more reigned in & controlled as opposed to Usopp where he doesn't restrain himself. Vale does something similar due to the differences in Trunks & Sanji's character types & personalities. It's more controlled & focused for Trunks, but it's more free for Sanji. The rasp is inescapably something he picked up from doing One Piece for so long, though. Seriously. Also maybe from aging, but many actors are able to do voices the same way after so many years, so he should too.
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
I don't find Clinkenbeard's Gohan that grating, at least when Gohan's not yelling. I'd say Saffron Henderson had the best voice for him.
Oh, it's grating. I still prefer Nodolny, personally. Her voice isn't what you'd expect from a 5-year-old, but then again, Dragon Ball isn't exactly normal either.

Side note:
By the way, to the person who said somewhere on here that "it's grating" isn't exactly a valid criticism to hate a voice that much, yeah, it is. If a voice grates on your ears so much that it makes you want to stop watching, that's a negative towards the casting of a voice actor. I also HATE Perona from One Piece, 1, because she's fucking annoying, but also 2, because her voice gets SO grating when she laughs in English. The same towards that noodle chef guy from the Water 7/Enies Lobby arcs because his voice is SO goddamn infuriating, I wish I could break the 4th wall just to beat the shit out of him to shut him the hell up.
I also have herd from an acquaintance from college that he considers Colleen's Luffy grating, as do a LOT of people. It's exactly the same as me hating her as Gohan or Goku, only I feel she actually fits Luffy better than them, mostly because the voice isn't as high-pitched. On another quick Dragon Ball example, I also don't care for Pan's English voice because of Pan's constant whining in GT making the voice grate on my ears. It just got that bad for me. If they recasted her, I'd have absolutely no objections, as long as the voice is tolerable or good. To each their own, but these are my opinions, love 'em or hate 'em.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 27, 2017 6:34 pm

Scsigs wrote:
Cure Dragon 255 wrote:Hey! Don't blame One Piece like that. He has a normal voice there!
Who, Vale or Sabat? If it's Vale, yeah, I somewhat agree. The voice only has his Trunks voice as an ASPECT of it, but it IS very raspy as a result. It's what's influenced his Trunks voice for sure. However, it's also like Sonny Strait's Krillin VS Usopp, where they have the same exact voice tone, but his Krillin voice is more reigned in & controlled as opposed to Usopp where he doesn't restrain himself. Vale does something similar due to the differences in Trunks & Sanji's character types & personalities. It's more controlled & focused for Trunks, but it's more free for Sanji. The rasp is inescapably something he picked up from doing One Piece for so long, though. Seriously. Also maybe from aging, but many actors are able to do voices the same way after so many years, so he should too.
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I blame One Piece for introducing any rasp his Trunks voice has if anyone has problems with it. Like Sabat's Piccolo voice being exactly like his Zoro voice, or at least is very close to it, Vale's Trunks voice is influenced by his Sanji portrayal being that voice tone with more rasp. Same with Clinkenbeard's annoying & grating Gohan & Goku voice being EXACTLY the same as her Luffy voice & not fitting them as a result. It's not the same thing with Vale & Sabat's newer voices not fitting the characters anymore, but the portrayals ARE noticeably different & can be base breaking.
Oh, it's grating. I still prefer Nodolny, personally. Her voice isn't what you'd expect from a 5-year-old, but then again, Dragon Ball isn't exactly normal either.

Side note:
By the way, to the person who said somewhere on here that "it's grating" isn't exactly a valid criticism to hate a voice that much, yeah, it is. If a voice grates on your ears so much that it makes you want to stop watching, that's a negative towards the casting of a voice actor. I also HATE Perona from One Piece, 1, because she's fucking annoying, but also 2, because her voice gets SO grating when she laughs in English. The same towards that noodle chef guy from the Water 7/Enies Lobby arcs because his voice is SO goddamn infuriating, I wish I could break the 4th wall just to beat the shit out of him to shut him the hell up.
I also have herd from an acquaintance from college that he considers Colleen's Luffy grating, as do a LOT of people. It's exactly the same as me hating her as Gohan or Goku, only I feel she actually fits Luffy better than them, mostly because the voice isn't as high-pitched. To each their own, but these are my opinions, love 'em or hate 'em.
I much preferred Nadolny's Goku to her Gohan. Yeah, Dragon Ball not being normal is the reason why I never minded unrealistic voices such as those of Imperfect Cell and Burter (both the Funi and Ocean versions).

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat May 27, 2017 6:47 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote: I blame One Piece for introducing any rasp his Trunks voice has if anyone has problems with it. Like Sabat's Piccolo voice being exactly like his Zoro voice, or at least is very close to it, Vale's Trunks voice is influenced by his Sanji portrayal being that voice tone with more rasp. Same with Clinkenbeard's annoying & grating Gohan & Goku voice being EXACTLY the same as her Luffy voice & not fitting them as a result. It's not the same thing with Vale & Sabat's newer voices not fitting the characters anymore, but the portrayals ARE noticeably different & can be base breaking.

Side note:
I also have herd from an acquaintance from college that he considers Colleen's Luffy grating, as do a LOT of people. It's exactly the same as me hating her as Gohan or Goku, only I feel she actually fits Luffy better than them, mostly because the voice isn't as high-pitched. On another quick Dragon Ball example, I also don't care for Pan's English voice because of Pan's constant whining in GT making the voice grate on my ears. It just got that bad for me. If they recasted her, I'd have absolutely no objections, as long as the voice is tolerable or good. To each their own, but these are my opinions, love 'em or hate 'em.
Sabat's Piccolo sounds nothing like his Zoro especially recently and the same goes for Vale with Sanji and Trunks. I also prefer Nadolny as Goku and Clinkenbeard as Gohan
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 27, 2017 6:54 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:I much preferred Nadolny's Goku to her Gohan. Yeah, Dragon Ball not being normal is the reason why I never minded unrealistic voices such as those of Imperfect Cell and Burter (both the Funi and Ocean versions).
Exactly. Dragon Ball's a Japanese-based fantasy world with spiritual elements like Ki control, 7 magical wish orbs, things that defy the normal laws of physics, etc, that also has science fiction elements like aliens, time travel, genetic manipulation, cyborgs/robots/androids, and has delved into concepts like alternate dimensions you go to after you die, a room that can give you a years' worth of training in just a day, alternate timelines, and alternate universes. Why should absolutely everyone have to sound what we consider "normal"? Nodolny was a great young Gohan & Goku. She definitely came into her own as Goku, but her Gohan wasn't half bad either, especially in the Cell arc when his story really came to a head that was built up over the previous arcs.
What gets me is when people say they hate Sean Schemmel voicing Goku because he sounds nothing like Nozawa, completely forgetting that, even in Japanese, not every character sounds exactly like you'd expect them to. Goku, Gohan, & Goten sound like an old woman trying to sound like males, Majin Buu sounds like a normal person, etc, yet people object to Goku & Gohan actually sounding like little boys & men, Majin Buu's voice being high-pitched in English, etc? Get the hell outta here with that BS. That's hypocrisy at it's finest. Preferences, yeah, & challenge me on this point if you want, but I don't think half as many English-speaking people would like Dragon Ball as much if Goku, the main character, sounded like a woman in English, especially after he passed the age of 18.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 27, 2017 7:04 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Sabat's Piccolo sounds nothing like his Zoro especially recently and the same goes for Vale with Sanji and Trunks. I also prefer Nadolny as Goku and Clinkenbeard as Gohan
I just said Vale's Trunks is INFLUENCED by his Sanji voice, didn't I? Also, Sabat's gotten better at distinguishing Piccolo & Zoro in the last 4 years with the newer movie & show dubs for DB, but, bruh, in the first 98 episodes, they're, basically, indistinguishable from each other. I think he realized how much he made them sound the same & made an effort to change how he's been doing Piccolo, as I've begun to notice the difference in TFC's dub, but before that, they were exactly the same when they talk at in a normal fashion.
Also, yeah, you've said the whole Goku & Gohan thing before, but if they have to have the exact same VA as each other in English, which the dubs TFC & Super have shown that that's the dubbing team's preference, even though Goten's still voiced by Kara Edwards, I'd vastly prefer Nodolny over Clinkenbeard. Too bad that ship's sunk apparently.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 27, 2017 7:05 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:I much preferred Nadolny's Goku to her Gohan. Yeah, Dragon Ball not being normal is the reason why I never minded unrealistic voices such as those of Imperfect Cell and Burter (both the Funi and Ocean versions).
Exactly. Dragon Ball's a Japanese-based fantasy world with spiritual elements like Ki control, 7 magical wish orbs, things that defy the normal laws of physics, etc, that also has science fiction elements like aliens, time travel, genetic manipulation, cyborgs/robots/androids, and has delved into concepts like alternate dimensions you go to after you die, a room that can give you a years' worth of training in just a day, alternate timelines, and alternate universes. Why should absolutely everyone have to sound what we consider "normal"? Nodolny was a great young Gohan & Goku. She definitely came into her own as Goku, but her Gohan wasn't half bad either, especially in the Cell arc when his story really came to a head that was built up over the previous arcs.
What gets me is when people say they hate Sean Schemmel voicing Goku because he sounds nothing like Nozawa, completely forgetting that, even in Japanese, not every character sounds exactly like you'd expect them to. Goku, Gohan, & Goten sound like an old woman trying to sound like males, Majin Buu sounds like a normal person, etc, yet people object to Goku & Gohan actually sounding like little boys & men, Majin Buu's voice being high-pitched in English, etc? Get the hell outta here with that BS. That's hypocrisy at it's finest. Preferences, yeah, & challenge me on this point if you want, but I don't think half as many English-speaking people would like Dragon Ball as much if Goku, the main character, sounded like a woman in English, especially after he passed the age of 18.
I won't challenge you on that.

I never liked Majin Buu's English voice actors. They sound too obvious, if you know what I mean. Out of the three, I'd say that Josh Martin is the best, but that's not saying much.

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sat May 27, 2017 7:11 pm

Scsigs wrote:
VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:Sabat's Piccolo sounds nothing like his Zoro especially recently and the same goes for Vale with Sanji and Trunks. I also prefer Nadolny as Goku and Clinkenbeard as Gohan
I just said Vale's Trunks is INFLUENCED by his Sanji voice, didn't I? Also, Sabat's gotten better at distinguishing Piccolo & Zoro in the last 4 years with the newer movie & show dubs for DB, but, bruh, in the first 98 episodes, they're, basically, indistinguishable from each other. I think he realized how much he made them sound the same & made an effort to change how he's been doing Piccolo, as I've begun to notice the difference in TFC's dub, but before that, they were exactly the same when they talk at in a normal fashion.
Also, yeah, you've said the whole Goku & Gohan thing before, but if they have to have the exact same VA as each other in English, which the dubs TFC & Super have shown that that's the dubbing team's preference, even though Goten's still voiced by Kara Edwards, I'd vastly prefer Nodolny over Clinkenbeard. Too bad that ship's sunk apparently.
Not really, there's a deepness to Piccolo that Zoro has never had

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 27, 2017 7:26 pm

8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:What gets me is when people say they hate Sean Schemmel voicing Goku because he sounds nothing like Nozawa, completely forgetting that, even in Japanese, not every character sounds exactly like you'd expect them to. Goku, Gohan, & Goten sound like an old woman trying to sound like males, Majin Buu sounds like a normal person, etc, yet people object to Goku & Gohan actually sounding like little boys & men, Majin Buu's voice being high-pitched in English, etc? Get the hell outta here with that BS. That's hypocrisy at it's finest. Preferences, yeah, & challenge me on this point if you want, but I don't think half as many English-speaking people would like Dragon Ball as much if Goku, the main character, sounded like a woman in English, especially after he passed the age of 18.

I never liked Majin Buu's English voice actors. They sound too obvious, if you know what I mean. Out of the three, I'd say that Josh Martin is the best, but that's not saying much.
Yeah, I get ya. It took me hearing Geekdom101's opinion to really think about Majin Buu's English voice, as I never did before, & I get that opinion. It's a lot like King Kai's voice. I personally don't mind either, but I get why others hate them if they do. My thing on them is that they make each character appear more surprising when they turn out to be bigger deals than they look. King Kai's very much a Yoda-like figure. He jokes around & has a weird voice in English, but when he gets serious, he gets serious. Same with Buu. The voice he has in English reflects his child-like demeanor & general attitude, but he's clearly capable of more than you'd think. I get it if people think they're generic, unfitting, or relics of a bygone era of anime dubbing, but I look at dubs from the standpoint of not comparing them to the Japanese versions & judging them based on their own merits & I don't think they're unfitting.

I only really compare them if I've seen clips of the Japanese audio, or if a character was portrayed as I expected there VS in English, such as my dislike of Sean Schemmel's two Goku Black voices in Xenoverse 2 just not capturing the spirit of the character. I couldn't care less if he does exactly what Nozawa did for his performance, as long as he captures the spirit of the character's personality correctly trough his voice acting, & I just don't think he does with either SS4 or a British accent. If he just played Black as the stone cold, bragging, arrogant dude he is with a more serious, straight-forward version of his Goku voice, possibly a touch deeper to really elevate the difference too, I wouldn't have a problem with his Black voice, but he just doesn't get what he has to do for the role, not completely. They've tried both major suggestions I've heard; SS4 & a British accent. Neither are really fitting & it's just disappointing. If you'd like more of my thoughts on that let me know.

Scsigs
I Live Here

Post by Scsigs » Sat May 27, 2017 7:30 pm

VejituhTheWarriorGuy wrote:
Scsigs wrote:
Not really, there's a deepness to Piccolo that Zoro has never had
In a few moments, I agree, but the majority of his lines otherwise sound too Zoro to me.

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sat May 27, 2017 7:33 pm

Scsigs wrote:
8000 Saiyan wrote:
Scsigs wrote:What gets me is when people say they hate Sean Schemmel voicing Goku because he sounds nothing like Nozawa, completely forgetting that, even in Japanese, not every character sounds exactly like you'd expect them to. Goku, Gohan, & Goten sound like an old woman trying to sound like males, Majin Buu sounds like a normal person, etc, yet people object to Goku & Gohan actually sounding like little boys & men, Majin Buu's voice being high-pitched in English, etc? Get the hell outta here with that BS. That's hypocrisy at it's finest. Preferences, yeah, & challenge me on this point if you want, but I don't think half as many English-speaking people would like Dragon Ball as much if Goku, the main character, sounded like a woman in English, especially after he passed the age of 18.

Yeah, I get ya. It took me hearing Geekdom101's opinion to really think about Majin Buu's English voice, as I never did before, & I get that opinion. It's a lot like King Kai's voice. I personally don't mind either, but I get why others hate them if they do. My thing on them is that they make each character appear more surprising when they turn out to be bigger deals than they look. King Kai's very much a Yoda-like figure. He jokes around & has a weird voice in English, but when he gets serious, he gets serious. Same with Buu. The voice he has in English reflects his child-like demeanor & general attitude, but he's clearly capable of more than you'd think. I get it if people think they're generic, unfitting, or relics of a bygone era of anime dubbing, but I look at dubs from the standpoint of not comparing them to the Japanese versions & judging them based on their own merits & I don't think they're unfitting.

I only really compare them if I've seen clips of the Japanese audio, or if a character was portrayed as I expected there VS in English, such as my dislike of Sean Schemmel's two Goku Black voices in Xenoverse 2 just not capturing the spirit of the character. I couldn't care less if he does exactly what Nozawa did for his performance, as long as he captures the spirit of the character's personality correctly trough his voice acting, & I just don't think he does with either SS4 or a British accent. If he just played Black as the stone cold, bragging, arrogant dude he is with a more serious, straight-forward version of his Goku voice, possibly a touch deeper to really elevate the difference too, I wouldn't have a problem with his Black voice, but he just doesn't get what he has to do for the role, not completely. They've tried both major suggestions I've heard; SS4 & a British accent. Neither are really fitting & it's just disappointing. If you'd like more of my thoughts on that let me know.
I still have a difficulty taking Schemmel's King Kai seriously. He's absolutely awful. At least I could take Don Brown's King Kai seriously even if he didn't have the most fitting voice. I don't get why they couldn't get Doc Morgan or Brice Armstrong to do the voice.
Last edited by 8000 Saiyan on Sat May 27, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.