"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

perucho1990
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by perucho1990 » Mon May 29, 2017 2:35 pm

Lapislettuce wrote: I think the teletubie girl might defeat Vegeta if we take Vegeta's humiliation record,also Kale looks tough as hell i can see Gohan struggling againts her,she's obviously going to be as strong as the plot needs her to be right now.
If Brianne will be Vegetas first non fodder opponent in this arc, then Vegeta wont lose, Veggie usually jobs to the arcs antagonist.

Of course, Gohan wont have it easy, but it would be the perfect time for Gohan to unlock that transformation that will put him in the same ballpark as current Vegeta and Goku.
precita wrote: I'd actually laugh if Yamcha winds up on the Universe 9 team somehow. In this episode Supreme Kai said there MUST be 10 fighters on each team, and in the previous episode we saw Universe 9 was struggling to find fighters. The fact that they're also wolves and Yamcha has his wolf fanf fist attack, I wouldn't be surprised if they somehow sneak over to Universe 7 and grab Yamcha and tell him he's part of Goku's team.

The fact that Universe 9 is also considered the weakest/lowest universe rank and Yamcha winding up on the team would go along with Super's running gags too.
That could also serve for U9 to get Trunks and Goten on their team, but sadly that wont happen, but it would be funny if U9 gets to recruit Yamcha and believe he is strong because he was training in secret(It could buy it more than Roshi doing it), I bet Goku would like "Dont worry about Yamcha, guys; we will resurrect him with the Super Dragon Balls when we win the tournament".

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:27 pm

The gr wrote: At least the manga show battle damage and blood,it would be good to see frieza torture one of the Saiyan of u6, especially Cabba or caulifa, because we need a scene to show how intimidating frieza is
I'd prefer for it to be Cabba.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 29, 2017 5:18 pm

Envy wrote:"SJWs" just want well-written female characters who function as more than abuse victims to propel forward the development of a male character.
You mean like Vados who's the 2nd strongest character after Zeno, #18 who broke Vegeta's arm and Bulma who's always helping everyone with her tech ?
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon May 29, 2017 5:23 pm

sintzu wrote:
Envy wrote:"SJWs" just want well-written female characters who function as more than abuse victims to propel forward the development of a male character.
You mean like Vados who's the 2nd strongest character after Zeno, #18 who broke Vegeta's arm and Bulma who's always helping everyone with her tech ?
Well we don't know about Vados being the second strongest. She's almost definitely weaker than the grand priest and some of her siblings.

But even Videl counts. Gohan didn't really benefit from her beat down. It showed that she was a determined character though.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Mon May 29, 2017 5:26 pm

kinisking wrote:Well we don't know about Vados being the second strongest. She's almost definitely weaker than the grand priest and some of her siblings.

But even Videl counts. Gohan didn't really benefit from her beat down. It showed that she was a determined character though.
I forgot about him so 3rd strongest until they say otherwise.

She was one of the best parts of the Buu arc and it's such a shame that she's been reduced to...whatever it is she's now.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Mon May 29, 2017 5:30 pm

sintzu wrote:
kinisking wrote:Well we don't know about Vados being the second strongest. She's almost definitely weaker than the grand priest and some of her siblings.

I forgot about him so 3rd strongest until they say otherwise.

She was one of the best parts of the Buu arc and it's such a shame that she's been reduced to...whatever it is she's now.
I think her character would benefit if she continued to fight criminals, but outside of fighting crime I think her current personality makes sense.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Mon May 29, 2017 5:45 pm

Sometimes I honestly forget Videl exists in Super. To be fair I can't think of any possible way to get her involved in the story again. As said she isn't an inventor/genius like Bulma who can make stuff and be involved in the plot, and in terms of a fighter she's just a normal human. The writers probably can't think of any way to include her outside of showing her as a mother/wife.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon May 29, 2017 6:03 pm

kinisking wrote:
sintzu wrote:
Well we don't know about Vados being the second strongest. She's almost definitely weaker than the grand priest and some of her siblings.

We dont even know shes stronger than Whis. Its implied but Whis shoots back saying its been a long time since they actually tested that if I'm not mistaken.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 29, 2017 6:09 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
kinisking wrote:
sintzu wrote:

We dont even know shes stronger than Whis. Its implied but Whis shoots back saying its been a long time since they actually tested that if I'm not mistaken.
You're recalling the manga's version of events. Valdos remarks the she's the stronger, but Whis objects, noting that it had been x number of years since they last fought.
Retired.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Mon May 29, 2017 6:52 pm

I feel like I'm one of the few people that actually likes Videl in Super. It feels like natural character progression. People have to remember that she was 16 in the Buu arc, and she's like 22 now. A lot of people when they turn into adults mature and stop acting like their irrational teenage selves, so it makes sense for her to settle down now that she has her dream husband and a child. That being said, I think she was more interesting during the Buu arc, but I see no problem with the way she is being handled now.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Totamo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Mon May 29, 2017 6:55 pm

Envy wrote:
sintzu wrote:
ChaosLordBrandon wrote:They are not going to show a female character getting her ass beat. lol at the people who think they will, when people gave Toriyama tons of shit for doing it to Videl back in dbz.
What people ? SJW's that Toriyama doesn't even know about ? Toriyama will continue to do what he wants to do, not what some irrelevant nobodies on the internet want. It's the main reason why I like anime and manga over comics and cartoons cause the creators don't listen to these "people".
I think what many (including myself) find annoying is the cliche where a woman is intentionally much weaker and has to be saved by a stronger man. And then when it comes to very brutal cases like Videl it can bother people. I don't question those people who are bothered by such a brutal beating of women. It sure does show up a lot in media, which some people - especially those who have been abused - do not take kindly to it.

But I know... Silly me, trying to be empathetic to others' experiences.

Personally, I'd much prefer to see a woman character fight a fair match. How much do you see this happen in a Shonen series like Dragon Ball, unless they're facing another woman? Almost never. The "SJWs" are not the problem here. "SJWs" just want well-written written female characters who function as more than abuse victims to propel forward the development of a male character.

I know these characters have not been built up to logically be as strong as Goku/Vegeta/Gohan. However, with Dragon Ball Super, I think I've just had to turn my brain off at this point. The Future Trunks arc taught me that very well.
In a series where a 5 year old gets his necked snapped, this should not be a debate.

They can't have it both ways. Not one person in this franchise has not been beaten down brutally. They have all been placed in underdog situations. Yet when it's a female, we have to be empathetic but we also have to be equal and give them meaningful fights which can't happen without said brutality or it feels empty.

You can just look at the backlash 92 is getting because of how easy caulifla got her form, but I know for a fact if she went through what goku and vegeta did, people would have been eveven more enraged because it's too much for a female

when I make my series, men and women will win, men and women will lose, both will be beaten, both will beat. those who feel offended I will apologize to be respectful then asked them if they are truly uncomfortable to stop reading.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:32 pm

It would be cool if Universe 3 has a Cyber Babarian. U3 and U10 are twin universes, so the Babarians may exist in U3.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

SaiyanGod117
Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Mon May 29, 2017 8:41 pm

MajinMan wrote:I feel like I'm one of the few people that actually likes Videl in Super. It feels like natural character progression. People have to remember that she was 16 in the Buu arc, and she's like 22 now. A lot of people when they turn into adults mature and stop acting like their irrational teenage selves, so it makes sense for her to settle down now that she has her dream husband and a child. That being said, I think she was more interesting during the Buu arc, but I see no problem with the way she is being handled now.
The first episode of Super takes place 6 month after Super and she acted the same way as she does now, it's unrealistic.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Mon May 29, 2017 8:44 pm

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
MajinMan wrote:I feel like I'm one of the few people that actually likes Videl in Super. It feels like natural character progression. People have to remember that she was 16 in the Buu arc, and she's like 22 now. A lot of people when they turn into adults mature and stop acting like their irrational teenage selves, so it makes sense for her to settle down now that she has her dream husband and a child. That being said, I think she was more interesting during the Buu arc, but I see no problem with the way she is being handled now.
The first episode of Super takes place 6 month after Super and she acted the same way as she does now, it's unrealistic.
No, the wish to erase people's memories of Buu happened 6 months after Buu and then "Some time passed".

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 29, 2017 8:55 pm

While it may be a natural progression in the most technical sense, Videl's character has never been handled well on-stage. She starts out as aggressive, strong-willed, curious, and basically as alpha as a small teenage girl could possibly get. Following a haircut, she then loses all of he previous character traits, barring a brief resurgence of her strong spirit in the fight against Spopovich. Since then, she's been consistently portrayed as a mild-mannered, inhumanly likeable Videl-bot, a trend that's been especially exasturbated in newer material. It's one thing for someone's blood to cool as they age, it's another when someone's prior character is exchanged wholesale for Jane Doe.
Retired.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Mon May 29, 2017 9:04 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
While it may be a natural progression in the most technical sense, Videl's character has never been handled well on-stage. She starts out as aggressive, strong-willed, curious, and basically as alpha as a small teenage girl could possibly get. Following a haircut, she then loses all of he previous character traits, barring a brief resurgence of her strong spirit in the fight against Spopovich. Since then, she's been consistently portrayed as a mild-mannered, inhumanly likeable Videl-bot, a trend that's been especially exasturbated in newer material. It's one thing for someone's blood to cool as they age, it's another when someone's prior character is exchanged wholesale for Jane Doe.

As a teenager she liked to run around fighting people. She was then physically destroyed by Spopovich. She gets married and settles down.

It seems logical to me.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon May 29, 2017 9:13 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:

As a teenager she liked to run around fighting people. She was then physically destroyed by Spopovich. She gets married and settles down.

It seems logical to me.
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter if it's a theoretically sensible progression. Videl undergoes vast character changes that make her infinitely less interesting, and none of it has any narrative precedent. That's not okay.
Retired.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Tue May 30, 2017 12:50 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: While it may be a natural progression in the most technical sense, Videl's character has never been handled well on-stage. She starts out as aggressive, strong-willed, curious, and basically as alpha as a small teenage girl could possibly get. Following a haircut, she then loses all of he previous character traits, barring a brief resurgence of her strong spirit in the fight against Spopovich. Since then, she's been consistently portrayed as a mild-mannered, inhumanly likeable Videl-bot, a trend that's been especially exasturbated in newer material. It's one thing for someone's blood to cool as they age, it's another when someone's prior character is exchanged wholesale for Jane Doe.

It seems logical to me.
You're missing the point. It doesn't matter if it's a theoretically sensible progression. Videl undergoes vast character changes that make her infinitely less interesting, and none of it has any gnarrative precedent. That's not okay.
That isnt even a point. Its you saying you dont like something. The progression makes sense and thats all that matters.

A character appearing doesnt mean they always have to be engaging or relevant. In any series 95% of characters play a background role after an initial interesting introduction.

Hit!!
Regular

Post by Hit!! » Tue May 30, 2017 2:52 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote: You're missing the point. It doesn't matter if it's a theoretically sensible progression. Videl undergoes vast character changes that make her infinitely less interesting, and none of it has any narrative precedent. That's not okay.
100% agree with this right here.

Videl did not have character growth like Vegeta did. It was never verbally stated or implied anywhere in the series that Videl changed her attitud for any given reason, she was just a totally different character in Super and i feel like Toei or Toriyama totally forgot about how she was in DBZ or maybe in japanese culture women become submissive housewives after they get married, no matter how tough and beligerant was her character before so.

I really don't know, but just as you said, there was no narrative precedent, there was no reason behind it, she just stopped being who she was and nobody know why. It is not explained in the series. Heck, it is not even acknowledged either in-universe or behind the scenes at any point in history.

When BOG movie came out, Videl was just another backround character whole played a somewhat important role in the SSG ritual, but other than that, was so unimportant, uninteresting and bland, she could not be considered a main character anymore. The Videl we saw in the Buu Arc had attitude, she had drive, motivation, energy and personality. The one in Super is just a typical japanese smiling housewife.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Tue May 30, 2017 3:13 am

The 2008 special was the last time Videl had her old personality. And Trunks and Goten were actually important. And Yamcha wasn't treated badly.

Goddamn, that 2008 special felt far more like DBZ than all of Super does in terms of the characters. Even Goku was still in his laid-back Buu saga "mentor" mode than his battle hungry Super personality.