Is the Battle Royale format a good idea?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Spider-Man
Regular

Is the Battle Royale format a good idea?

Post by Spider-Man » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:47 pm

The main criticism of this new arc is the 80 man Battle Royale,the idea sounds great on paper but there not using to there fullest potential,like the empty arena shots,the lack of focus of the Universe other than Universe 6,7 and 11,most of the fighter are eliminated by u7 and 6, etc
    Now I'm asking was this a good idea or a bad idea,if you think this is a bad idea then tell me a format that is suited for this saga or if you think this is good idea,why do you enjoy it?

Chuquita
    Namekian Warrior

Re: Is the Battle Royale format a good idea?

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:36 pm

A Battle Royale can work fine.

My problem is with the arena.
    Toei does not have the resources and time to fully animate the entire battle royale going on at an angle where we see the whole ring.

I suggest as long as we're pulling stuff from The Hunger Games, to go full in and actually have the battle royale take place in a big forest type area with rivers and lakes where it would make sense if we don't see everything that's going on at once. You might have to draw more backgrounds, but you'll save on actively moving pieces of animation resource-wise. Hell, you could also borrow those big sky-TVs and the fireworks that show who and when someone's been KO'd.
    My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
    ---
    フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

precita
    Banned

Post by precita » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:01 pm

They should have had the battle take place on a planet, similar to the Supreme Kai planet in the Buu saga, so it would make sense that you don't see characters constantly fighting and characters can go off and hide, etc.

Ki Breaker
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:19 pm

Battle royal is just fine, the ring is also good enough, because for some reason rocky mountains (?) seem to emerge from the stage made of metal.. And that can possibly help with hiding, like kale unintentionally went inside a rock formation, it can be used for cover or as a n advantage if the situation is right..
    Also helps it's a great setting to show people get eliminated left and right and not actually needing to show every fight
    The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Lionel
    I Live Here

Post by Lionel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:28 pm

Conceptually? Yes. We have never had such an occasion where a multi-party confrontation took place. The instances to come closest in such an arrangement in the original manga occur like with Krillin, Vegeta, and Zarbon metaphorically racing for the Dragon Balls against one another and the improvised tournament arrangement proposed by Mr Satan during the early Buu arc. Both examples never actualised any body vs body vs body fighting, though.

In execution, the tournament leaves a lot to be desired. We have scarcely witnessed anyone other than Universes 6, 7, and 11 making a substantive impact on the progressional listings. When participants are fighting, it's usually one universe pitted against another. The concept of an all-out multi-sided conflict hasn't been utilised in its fullest potential. We would otherwise be seeing fighter a battling fighter b while fighter c is engaging both of them at the same time. The studio is making it a habit to minimalise the coverage of background conflicts or multiple universes interchangeably attacking two or more in the same general location.

To the arc's credit, it has been been a stellar job with the emphasis on teamwork for most of the characters aside from Goku, Vegeta, and Freeza. Characters are finding ways to mesh their respective talents together like in the BotaMagetta formation. It's also allowed for some greater in-depth characterisation in individuals such as Hit who is exhibiting a surprising amount of leadership skill by protecting his teammates from falling out of bounds.

On the whole, this tournament could be better, but it's doing noticeably well in the fields where many of us have been criticising the series for lacking horrendously like teamwork and strategic fighting. I hope more comes of it in the future, and not just with this arc.

snpaa
    Not-So-Newbie

Post by snpaa » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:00 pm

No it was a terrible idea that was destined to fail by conception.

The appeal of a regular tournaments involves 1 on 1 character interactions , the inner struggle/motivations/backstory of said characters, strategy/ out thinking your opponent and seeing who is the best fighter. None of that can be explored in a chaotic 80+ power level driven tournament where every fight someone has the option of interfering in a 1 v 1 battle.

We will not see who the better fighter is because of the rules handicap's placed on the fighers , we will not explore any of the motivations of said 80+ characters because that's to many people to try to give meaningful depth too. After episode 100 with caulifla interfering with goku's fight against the yardrat it's more then likely we won't see a compelling 1 v 1 strategy when anybody can come come in an interfere.

Personally I think this tournament is a red herring , the main antagonist will either be the angels or frieza.

SaiyanGod117
    Advanced Regular

Post by SaiyanGod117 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:00 am

precita wrote:They should have had the battle take place on a planet, similar to the Supreme Kai planet in the Buu saga, so it would make sense that you don't see characters constantly fighting and characters can go off and hide, etc.
    I would of like this and the planet could have been home to various types of powerful creatures and monstrosities, along with extremely sporadic weather patterns and extreme weather conditions.

Totamo
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Totamo » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:07 am

Its a good idea, who doesn't want to see an all out brawl of characters just beating the ever living shit out of each other, thats testosterone fuel.

The problem is that Toei don't have the ability or time to do this at its fullest potential. We can't show all the characters constantly fighting because that takes animation and time, we can't have character backstories because that takes writing, animation and time and we can't have several 1 on 1's because that takes...you know the rest.

It was doomed to fail from the start.

JulieYBM
    Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:33 am

I feel like Tiger Mask W proves that it's possible to do some nice team battles. Dragon Ball Super simply doesn't have the time or talent to pull it off.

I do think that the battle royal should've been smaller. So many of these characters are clearly there to just fill out the rosters. Unless you're going to pour a lot of resources into really defining these characters they really shouldn't have bothered.
    She/Her
    progesterone princess, estradiol empress
    bisexual milf

Boo Machine

Post by Boo Machine » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:44 am

It was an interesting idea. But there are too many characters and the arena isn't great. It's just doesn't really function as is.

Especially when you have the stronger characters conserving stamina (Goku), fucking around, (Hit) or just standing there (Jiren), when they can probably clear a good chunk of the floor in no time. And a good majority of these characters don't have time to appeal all that much aside from design alone when they're all sharing the time with 79 other fighters.

Remember the bunny girl? The one surprisingly not named Hop? (Hop was the cat girl) There was quite a bit of fan art of her. People expected a bit from her. She did nothing and got knocked out off screen.

This tournament probably could have stood to be more a little more out there. Like others said, giving them an entire planet to be scattered on, and fight, so the weaker characters aren't within sneezing range of fighters like Hit or Jiren and those fighters wouldn't have to hold back for the sake of the plot. Or at the very least not worry about making the arena as chaotic as it should be but surprisingly wasn't for a good chunk of it so far. How many shots did we get of an empty looking arena?
    SUBARASHII! - Goku Black

I am the Great Saiyaman! Defender of truth! Protector of the innocent! Upholder of justice! Doer of good!

To Infinity, then stop!

Anime are Cartoons.

Dbzfan94
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:00 am

Bad idea. Would've honestly worked better in a traditional tournament style. Like the Dark Tournament from YYH.

fadeddreams5
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:31 am

It was a horrendously terrible idea. The way it is, it's a cluster fuck with no rhyme or reason. Every episode is the equivalent of a kid taking two action figures and just mashing them together until he gets bored. Wayyy too many boring fodder characters.

I would have preferred the following format:
    -Battle royales between two universes at a time.

-Instead of all 10 members of a universe fighting, only 5 members from each respective universe would fight per round. The goal is to eliminate the 5 members of the opposing team. Those eliminated during any given round would be eliminated from the tournament as a whole, so if Uni 7 had 3 members eliminated, but won the round, only their remaining 2 members could be used for the rest of the tournament.

-The arena should be fully customizable per round, to Zeno's choosing. As in, the terrain would change, kind of like in Pokemon during the league battles, only to a grander scale to sort of resemble planets. For example, the times Babidi transported the fighters to different places.

-Killing allowed. Those killed would not really die, but be transported back to the main hub and sit in the sidelines, as is the case now.

My format would encourage more creativity in the fights. So much more strategy can be implemented if the fights are more concentrated, there are less characters in the ring, and terrains can be used for guerilla and other such tactics. Also, no restrictions, so we could see Hit and Frieza at their best.
    "Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Miracles
    I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:59 am

I truly believe Toriyma/TOEI just did this to bring back the Z Senshi into action for the fans who wanted it. After they are out of the way Things should get interesting with the heavy hitters. However Toriyama/TOEI still could of wrote an exciting setting with Krillin Roshi etc....Maybe there will be. Here is to hoping. As of right now I don't like the Royale.

Asura

Post by Asura » Thu Jul 27, 2017 2:33 am

Yes, it's a great idea. One of the best ideas the franchise has ever had.

The execution could be better, but it's still good and I'm enjoying it thoroughly. People had their expectations aimed WAY too high for this and they have no one to blame but themselves for being so disappointed.

GodKaio-Ken
    I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:36 am

I'm hoping as characters dwindle down we get more depth to the remaining fighters. I understand not doing 80 backstories.

1 v 1 would end up being too many episodes IMO.
    Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

dbs fanboy
    Advanced Regular

Post by dbs fanboy » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:51 am

SaiyanGod117 wrote:
    precita wrote:They should have had the battle take place on a planet, similar to the Supreme Kai planet in the Buu saga, so it would make sense that you don't see characters constantly fighting and characters can go off and hide, etc.
    I would of like this and the planet could have been home to various types of powerful creatures and monstrosities, along with extremely sporadic weather patterns and extreme weather conditions.
    What about something like the Hunter exam from Hunterx Hunter? Like a mix between that forest full of beasts and the island were they had to take the tags.
    I really miss ma boy, Black :( :cry:

dbgtFO wrote:

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:57 am

It would be a good idea if they had the resources to truly animate what was going on in the background. We just see background explosions, and fighters just standing around.
    "Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Ki Breaker
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:06 am

omaro34 wrote:We just see background explosions, and fighters just standing around.
    Yeah, z was awesome!
    The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Xeztin
    I Live Here

Post by Xeztin » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:23 am

That would have been awesome! Reminds me of the hunter exams arc with Gon and Hisoka.

ekrolo2
    Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:25 am

It's a good idea, Super's just not in a shape to really do it right. Hell, even if Toei took it off the air for a few months just to give people breathing space, I still don't think it would help anything except the animation department.
    When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):