Post-hiatus-news: What series do you want next?

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheZFighter
Regular

Re: Post-hiatus-news: What series do you want next?

Post by TheZFighter » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 am

A next gen thing about Trunks, Goten, Marron, Uub, Bra and Pan could be good.

Another option, because of the ages of the current cast, could be some sort of time travelling thing which essentially makes the cast "ageless".
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Asura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Asura » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:25 pm

Ziegander wrote:
Asura wrote:
BWri wrote: You're telling me you wouldn't watch a series about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p84nBxAwQOs

When I think of a new series I think of that cutscene above, something new that feels fresh and classic at the same time. And new characters gives the writers much more freedom to do what they want. The main character could even be Goku-lite like the protagonist in that cutscene appears to be.
Lord no. I like a lot of the story elements from DBO that are re-used in Xenoverse with Towa, Mira, Bardock, etc. but I absolutely hate the game's timeline, it just seems horribly stupid to me that you have all these hybrid Saiyans running around and the world felt really lifeless to me since everyone except like, Piccolo and Korin are dead.

The Dragon Ball world isn't interesting enough for me without any familiar faces. I'd definitely watch a movie or spin off series with only U6 in it since they're actually familiar characters, but some random brand new cast that has no relation at all to Goku and co.? No thank you.
I find that really sad. The Dragon Ball world is RICH with fantasy and sci-fi elements all over the place, talking, magical animals, witches, shamans, dinosaurs, robots, demons, all with a modern, technologically advanced society. The place has it all. Now, I don't want a new Goku-lite protagonist, but to call the DB World uninteresting, sheesh, that really makes me sad. There are ENDLESS new characters that could be introduced to the world with new powers, new origins, new martial arts styles, you name it. How about a Capsule Corp. Iron Man/Woman? How about a magic sword hero (not Z-Sword Gohan)? I kind of like the idea of giving Piccolo his King title back, but literally, he becomes King of Earth in place of King Furry and maybe trains up his own small unit of Earth Defense Forces? I don't know about a "Next Generation" series exactly, but you could literally do almost anything in the DB world as long as there's martial arts involved, and it wouldn't seem out of place.

Although... maybe having toriyama do a Dragon Quest anime would be better for that sort of blank slate style expression (possibly better funded even).
I don’t want to watch a show that’s just Iron Man in the Dragon Ball world, and id imagine most people feel the same way in regards to completely brand new characters without any of the old cast. Dragon Ball is Goku’s story and without him or anyone else that I’m familiar with, I wouldn’t be watching this show.

Cetra
I Live Here

Post by Cetra » Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:27 pm

Why would Akira Toriyama do a Dragon Quest anime? He owns nothing of Dragon Quest. Dragon Quest is property of Square Enix. He is not the writer, only his art style is used and Square has dozens of people who already learned how to use this style.
"Citation needed."
"too lazy

feel free to take it with grain of salt or discredit me altogether, I'm not losing any sleep"

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:44 pm

I have no interest in a series if it isn’t about Goku. The story of Dragon Ball is the story of his life.

However, I would find it fascinating to see the old Goku Toriyama drew training some new fighters along with Vegeta or something.

But really Post EOZ mostly.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:06 pm

BWri wrote:
Asura wrote:Both of those ideas sound like financial disasters. Who wants to see Dragon Ball with NONE of the characters we know? Without Goku, there is no Dragon Ball. I also doubt that people want to see the show rebooted over and over with different stories.
You're telling me you wouldn't watch a series about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p84nBxAwQOs

When I think of a new series I think of that cutscene above, something new that feels fresh and classic at the same time. And new characters gives the writers much more freedom to do what they want. The main character could even be Goku-lite like the protagonist in that cutscene appears to be.
I agree. This is where i would want the series to go after Goku and Vegeta die. Since Super’s plot points aren’t wrapped up, i would want the new series to go past the End of Z, wrap up Super’s plot threads and points, give the new generation like Uub, Pan, Bura, Goten, Trunks, and even the U6 saiyans more prominent rolls. The series ends with the Goku vs Vegeta battle that DBOnline said happened with both of them k.o-ing themselves.

The next series would focus on Dragon Ball Online following not just one new character, but a squad of new characters going on adventures and stuff and occasionally doing time travel.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Kataphrut

Post by Kataphrut » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:19 am

I've seen a lot of people pushing for a "Next Generation" Dragon Ball story involving Goten, Trunks, Pan, Uub and maybe Bra, and that idea honestly makes me roll my eyes. Put simply, none of those characters are that appealing to me. Goten and Trunks don't have an identity outside of "kid appeal" characters and weren't designed with character longevity the way Goku was, if that makes sense. So much of their identity is tied to being wacky sidekicks, that's why they ceased to be interesting when they got aged up in EoZ and GT, and likely why Super refuses to age them at all, no matter how ridiculous it gets.

The one time I would have said otherwise about them was when they were learning the fusion dance for the first time in Buu. There, they seemed like they had it in them to be young heroes. But once Gotenks showed up and was basically the Wacky Kid character turned up to 11, they were done. Because they would never be able to distance themselves from that specific portrayal and that specific archetype.

Pan, Uub and Bra don't have much going for them either. They're epilogue characters (basically blank slates in other words), and with the possible exception of pre-GT Pan, none of them quite capture that spirit of adventure and self-improvement the way Goku did. Maybe a story could work about Goku and/or Vegeta training them, but then you'd run into the same problem as Gohan. What do you do with them once they become the strongest if they don't have the personality to carry future storylines? You end up with no choice but to drop them again.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Jan 22, 2018 2:52 am

I just want something that has some love put into it, the way Takahashi worked on his Dragonball drawings to get them to where they are today. Scrap the current writers, invest in more production friendly schedule, stop marketing it to 3 year olds, and pray to god for some miraculous departure from Toei.

Gligarman
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Gligarman » Mon Jan 22, 2018 3:38 pm

There's a lot of possibilities. An adaptation of the Jaco: The Galactic Patrolman manga would be amazing! That manga is seriously underrated. If I had to go full fanboy though I'd love a spinoff featuring the Pride Troopers! I won't lie. I've been rooting for them this whole time!

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:17 pm

First post in....wow, 2 years. I didn't realise i have been away so long.

After hearing about the news that DBS is finishing, i wanted to share my thoughts.

I don't want to see anything new with Dragon Ball, no films, no anime series, it's time for it to end. In my opinion, Super has been an absolute load of rubbish and i don't wish to see something that has been a big part of my life dragged through the mud any further. I have lost complete faith in TOEI and Toriyama has disappointed me too.

Ilikepictures-meh
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ilikepictures-meh » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:34 pm

Kataphrut wrote:I've seen a lot of people pushing for a "Next Generation" Dragon Ball story involving Goten, Trunks, Pan, Uub and maybe Bra, and that idea honestly makes me roll my eyes. Put simply, none of those characters are that appealing to me. Goten and Trunks don't have an identity outside of "kid appeal" characters and weren't designed with character longevity the way Goku was, if that makes sense. So much of their identity is tied to being wacky sidekicks, that's why they ceased to be interesting when they got aged up in EoZ and GT, and likely why Super refuses to age them at all, no matter how ridiculous it gets.

The one time I would have said otherwise about them was when they were learning the fusion dance for the first time in Buu. There, they seemed like they had it in them to be young heroes. But once Gotenks showed up and was basically the Wacky Kid character turned up to 11, they were done. Because they would never be able to distance themselves from that specific portrayal and that specific archetype.

Pan, Uub and Bra don't have much going for them either. They're epilogue characters (basically blank slates in other words), and with the possible exception of pre-GT Pan, none of them quite capture that spirit of adventure and self-improvement the way Goku did. Maybe a story could work about Goku and/or Vegeta training them, but then you'd run into the same problem as Gohan. What do you do with them once they become the strongest if they don't have the personality to carry future storylines? You end up with no choice but to drop them again.
People who make baseless claims that the new gen wouldn't be appealing or interesting "honestly makes me roll my eyes". Especially since you pretty much killed your own argument imo by admitting you were interested and felt Goten and Trunks could be heroes, when they were actually presented as such.
Also the very fact that they're basically all "blank slates" allows for them to be developed in various ways, it allows the DB creators to present these characters in a better light, for their characters to have "longevity" as you put it. While also expanding Goku's and the gangs roles, and allowing Goku to have more than one goal. He'll always want to become stronger, yet he could also want to see his student and others become stronger. Hell it could be for purely selfish reasons as well, such as helping them grow and nurturing their battle skills for the chance to fight them in the future, allowing him to have more battle buddies besides Vegeta.

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:07 pm

Asura wrote:
BWri wrote:
Asura wrote:Both of those ideas sound like financial disasters. Who wants to see Dragon Ball with NONE of the characters we know? Without Goku, there is no Dragon Ball. I also doubt that people want to see the show rebooted over and over with different stories.
You're telling me you wouldn't watch a series about this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p84nBxAwQOs

Lord no. I like a lot of the story elements from DBO that are re-used in Xenoverse with Towa, Mira, Bardock, etc. but I absolutely hate the game's timeline, it just seems horribly stupid to me that you have all these hybrid Saiyans running around and the world felt really lifeless to me since everyone except like, Piccolo and Korin are dead.

The Dragon Ball world isn't interesting enough for me without any familiar faces. I'd definitely watch a movie or spin off series with only U6 in it since they're actually familiar characters, but some random brand new cast that has no relation at all to Goku and co.? No thank you.
I don't mean to take everything from DBO, because let's be honest, some of those scenarios were just goofy, but I like the concept of ki usage being spread throughout the earth and producing a whole world of powerful fighters instead of the small cast of z-fighters. It has the potential to literally be an endless adventure. Combine that with the mysticism, martial arts, and sci-fi elements of Z and the long legacy of the previous cast and you got yourself the start of an awesome new series. I love Goku and friends, but the Dragon Ball world has the potential to offer so much more.
AnimeNation101 wrote: I agree. This is where i would want the series to go after Goku and Vegeta die. Since Super’s plot points aren’t wrapped up, i would want the new series to go past the End of Z, wrap up Super’s plot threads and points, give the new generation like Uub, Pan, Bura, Goten, Trunks, and even the U6 saiyans more prominent rolls. The series ends with the Goku vs Vegeta battle that DBOnline said happened with both of them k.o-ing themselves.

The next series would focus on Dragon Ball Online following not just one new character, but a squad of new characters going on adventures and stuff and occasionally doing time travel.
I'd kill for this! The setup is so good and the old cast leaves an awesome legacy. Gohan is the reason humans know about ki, Trunks, Goten, Krillin, and Tien are all masters. Goku and Vegeta are legends and Buu is the reason for a whole new race of people. It's great!
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Asura

Post by Asura » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:31 pm

BWri wrote:I like the concept of ki usage being spread throughout the earth and producing a whole world of powerful fighters instead of the small cast of z-fighters.
Yeah, but if everyone on Earth can do all this crazy shit, it kind of loses the magic in my opinion.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:03 pm

LOL, anybody who wants to see ratings absolutely tank, keep petitioning for a "next-gen" kind of thing.
Scott wrote:First post in....wow, 2 years. I didn't realise i have been away so long.

After hearing about the news that DBS is finishing, i wanted to share my thoughts.

I don't want to see anything new with Dragon Ball, no films, no anime series, it's time for it to end. In my opinion, Super has been an absolute load of rubbish and i don't wish to see something that has been a big part of my life dragged through the mud any further. I have lost complete faith in TOEI and Toriyama has disappointed me too.

Same here.

BWri

Post by BWri » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:45 pm

Asura wrote:
BWri wrote:I like the concept of ki usage being spread throughout the earth and producing a whole world of powerful fighters instead of the small cast of z-fighters.
Yeah, but if everyone on Earth can do all this crazy shit, it kind of loses the magic in my opinion.
I see what you mean but even if everyone can use ki, the main cast will typically be far above them. It just opens it up for more villains, allies, etc to be relevant in the story and instead of powerful people coming out of nowhere, it leaves it open for there to always be powerful people.
Big fan of the characters of Dragon Ball, all of them, especially formerly prominent sub-characters. -__-

Damian0358

Post by Damian0358 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 11:59 pm

While some folks may have some valid points against the idea, I personally love the idea of having a show set after the End of Z where Goku is training Uub and possibly Pan, in a parallel to Roshi training Goku and Krillin. You could potentially get some great character dynamics out of this if executed properly, in my opinion. While that's happening, you could get things going with Goten, Trunks, Maron, Bra and probably the re-grown up Pilaf Gang going on adventures, accompanied by anyone of the former Z Fighters if necessary, perhaps even Vegeta dotting over the crew due to Bra being with them.

You could slowly introduce elements from the Dragon Ball Online timeline too, though some elements (such as the deactivation of the Dragon Balls, Miss Buu and Baby Buu, the passings of Goku and Vegeta, Gohan popularizing ki usage, and the establishment of the New Turtle School and the evolution of the Tenshin-Style Dojo into the New Crane School, just to name a few) could be implemented differently. We've got just enough of a base in terms of both characters and possible events, especially the former (since even as "blank slates", if done properly, they could be rather interesting), that the idea may just work out. Include some new elements too, of course, like interesting villains, and it could work out quite well.

Considering what we know of the upcoming DB movie, they may be once more testing the waters to see how audiences will react to a movie that doesn't have just Goku and Vegeta as the mains, just appearing for a few token scenes, or doesn't even include the two, ala Bio-Broly. That, in turn, may affect their decision later on for Super's continuation and its direction.

Master Xar
Banned Alternate Account

Post by Master Xar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:00 pm

BWri wrote:
Asura wrote:
I see what you mean but even if everyone can use ki, the main cast will typically be far above them. It just opens it up for more villains, allies, etc to be relevant in the story and instead of powerful people coming out of nowhere, it leaves it open for there to always be powerful people.
That still kind of ruins the mystique, the Z Fighters are these groups of unsung hero super fighters from all walks of life, Earth’s last resort special forces, if everyone and their mother is a super fighter, regardless if they are above the rest it still ruins the humble charm that having only them as the fighters has. It’s uncomfortable to me and it feels out of place.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:59 pm

Master Xar wrote:
BWri wrote:
Asura wrote:
That still kind of ruins the mystique, the Z Fighters are these groups of unsung hero super fighters from all walks of life, Earth’s last resort special forces, if everyone and their mother is a super fighter, regardless if they are above the rest it still ruins the humble charm that having only them as the fighters has. It’s uncomfortable to me and it feels out of place.
I agree with you. If everyone on Earth had powers then it would make Z fighters useless. It's like they wouldn't need them anymore. It would really take away from the story.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:19 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Master Xar wrote:
BWri wrote: I see what you mean but even if everyone can use ki, the main cast will typically be far above them. It just opens it up for more villains, allies, etc to be relevant in the story and instead of powerful people coming out of nowhere, it leaves it open for there to always be powerful people.
I agree with you. If everyone on Earth had powers then it would make Z fighters useless. It's like they wouldn't need them anymore. It would really take away from the story.
Ki is a martial arts concept. It would be not only lame, but very stupid if suddenly every earthling learned how to fly and fire ki blasts. It's not like in the real world everyone can do what Bruce Lee could do, or any other expert martial artist can do.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

kemuri07
Advanced Regular

Post by kemuri07 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:33 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
kemuri07 wrote:
dbs fanboy wrote:Either Super 2 or new db series, just to use all the characters and concepts that have been introduced via tournaments and tell different stories involving them. I mean, not doing that would be modern dragon ball's biggest sin.

EDIT:

Seriously, i can understand the sentiment behind wanting the show to be ended, but that could only work in case there was no more potential or any way to write new interesting
db stories.

With all these universe being introduced, new characters and even relationships between them (Vegeta being Cabba's mentor, Goku and Hit.....etc) suddenly throwing everything away and not using it would be downright awful. It would pretty much shit on the whole db revival thing that BoG introduced with the concept of other universes.
Theoretically, sure there's a lot of neato ideas surrounding DBS. The problem is that the writing has consistently dropped the ball in that regard, instead just focusing on blatant fan service or just giving whatever character a power up because "Fuck it."

Z at least had some level of restraint, and the first half of that series is the strongest because there's a focus in developing its central characters (i.e. Remember when Kuririn wasn't completely useless?)., Super is a one-trick poney.
That's entirely debatable, which just serves to add more fuel to my point, not using any of these ideas to write new stories would be much worse than writing a new story that not everyone may like. Because, the thing is, no matter what super does, there'll always be someone not liking it, so it's not worth it to simply not use all these concepts.

A lot of people liked Black once he was introduced, but i still find some fans that hate him; Goku vs Krillin was one of the best episodes of the pre tournament arc for a lot of people (because the interactions between characters were pretty nice and Krillin demonstrated that he had recovered his gains), while others hated it because it didn't make sense power level wise (thought this also debatable). Hell, Battle of Gods (movie) is consdered by many Dragon ball's Renaissance, while others considered it (and quote) "db's version of the Phantom menace of Star Wars".

Had Toei/Toriyama listened to all these people wanting db dead and we wouldn't have gotten a lot of amazing moments that modern db introduced. Now if the series had literaly tried every single interesting concept or idea that's out there, and after that only started to do the typical "oh, new bad guy that's stronger than the guy who was multiversal level, Goku fights him, Goku wins" then yeah, i could totally get behind this feeling, and i would agree with all those complaints about db becoming a zombie franchise. But that's not the current case, BoG pretty much introduced a power ceiling and the majority of times, super's antagonist are still not stronger than the very strongest in the multiverse, so there's still room to tell more stories about Goku and co improving themselves or even exploring different universes (or just meeting new characters from those different places).

The_Destroyer wrote:Katopesla: The Galactic Policeman of Justice
If this ever happens, i want a crossover with the Super troopers Pals, Jaco the Patrolman, and GT Saiyaman as a guest star.
but how many times have they gone to that well? It's called Diminishing returns. At some point, Goku fighting another strong being and getting another power up to fight said strong being stops being interesting and starts being boring.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:48 pm

I don't understand the people who want new Dragon Ball content and at the same time want the series to remain in the same stagnant time period, reusing the same characters and rehashing the same arcs over and over again. If you're so adamant about keeping Goku & co around and can't stand to see new characters at the helm, yet you also acknowledge that the series isn't going anywhere new at this point, then why not just reboot the series? The original Dragon Ball movies are basically reboots.