Official On-Going Dragon Ball Super Movie #1 Thread: "Broly"

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RedHeat
Regular

Re: Official "DB Super 2018 Movie" Discussion Thread

Post by RedHeat » Sun Jun 24, 2018 1:11 pm

new movie reference sheets

Feels over Reals.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:09 pm

jeffbr92 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Db movies aren't that great in general, rof was no exception... DB usually works best as a series as far as I am concerned
I disagree, BoG was something completely different we got from the past DB movies, many thought the succeeding movie would keep the same formula and expand on screen the concept Beerus introduced about other universes, way better than reviving a past villain to be killed pointlessly.

The only good thing about RoF is that Super came afterwards.
BoG really wasn't that great. Yes Goku lost and yes the whole 12 universes thing was a massive drop (at the time) but those happened at the end of the film take that away and you have a very boring film where nothing literally happens, the direction is very poor with action being handled woefully, the main cast being treated like utter contempt

ResF beat for beat is more or less the same as BoG except goofy shenanigans replaced with action. Both films are bad, calling them films is embarrassing to the word "film" itself!

About 6 or so months ago I watched both films back to back and they absolutely didn't sit right with me at all. I was the biggest ResF apologist for the longest time but a film that is like that needs strong direction and SB and instead what we got was weak. And BoG I kept finding problems after problems with the hindsight of the retelling.

As result I don't have very high expectations for this film, even lower then the U.S arc (which was pretty low itself since I didn't like the U6 arc much but surprisingly I enjoyed the U.S arc quite a bit). Quality wise DB is so far from anything.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:28 pm

RedHeat wrote:new movie reference sheets

They said Toriyama created over 21 right? Anyways, we should at least expect a Golden Freeza design sheet soon.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

GodVegetto91
Banned

Post by GodVegetto91 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:34 pm

Still no sign of SSB Evolution, Ultra Instinct or the new Saiyan villain. So, i’m not getting hyped just yet..

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:39 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Still no sign of SSB Evolution, Ultra Instinct or the new Saiyan villain. So, i’m not getting hyped just yet..
They can't just dump everything on us right away
Get Fucked, C_unt

PerhapsTheOtherOne
I Live Here

Post by PerhapsTheOtherOne » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:40 pm

GodVegetto91 wrote:Still no sign of SSB Evolution, Ultra Instinct or the new Saiyan villain. So, i’m not getting hyped just yet..
Well, SSB Evolution at least is a variation on Vegeta's normal SSB form, so it shouldn't be too hard to create designs for.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:59 pm

I think it'll look pretty, but my expectations for the plot are incredibly low. Maybe the lowest they've ever been.

I've sat through low quality animation series for the plot, but the reverse I rarely do.

My expectations for the ToP were too high because I've read and seen The Hunger Games and was expecting something in that vein rather than what we got.

My expectations were too high for the Future Trunks arc because I let my imagination run wild over "Gokû, but evil" when it turned out to be just another Ginyu situation (as much of an entertaining ham as Rosé gets he's not actually evil Gokû) and then the tail end of the arc ended up a train wreck.

Both recent arcs along with the RoF movie have tempered my expectations for this movie. While I love the new art by Shintani, I'm hesitant about Toriyama potentially half baking another script. Either go all in or get someone else to do it.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:05 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Db movies aren't that great in general, rof was no exception... DB usually works best as a series as far as I am concerned
I disagree, BoG was something completely different we got from the past DB movies, many thought the succeeding movie would keep the same formula and expand on screen the concept Beerus introduced about other universes, way better than reviving a past villain to be killed pointlessly.

BoG really wasn't that great. Yes Goku lost and yes the whole 12 universes thing was a massive drop (at the time) but those happened at the end of the film take that away and you have a very boring film where nothing literally happens, the direction is very poor with action being handled woefully, the main cast being treated like utter contempt

ResF beat for beat is more or less the same as BoG except goofy shenanigans replaced with action. Both films are bad, calling them films is embarrassing to the word "film" itself!

About 6 or so months ago I watched both films back to back and they absolutely didn't sit right with me at all. I was the biggest ResF apologist for the longest time but a film that is like that needs strong direction and SB and instead what we got was weak. And BoG I kept finding problems after problems with the hindsight of the retelling.

As result I don't have very high expectations for this film, even lower then the U.S arc (which was pretty low itself since I didn't like the U6 arc much but surprisingly I enjoyed the U.S arc quite a bit). Quality wise DB is so far from anything.
Everyone I talk to seems to have low expectations for the film. Is this a bad sign for the future of Dragon Ball?
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:26 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:

Everyone I talk to seems to have low expectations for the film. Is this a bad sign for the future of Dragon Ball?
No, because those people are the vocal minority when it comes to the opinions of DBS.
Feels over Reals.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:27 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
jeffbr92 wrote:

I think the problem is Toriyama. He’s hit or miss these days. And, he’s too in control of his own work. Back in the days of DBZ, he had an editor. If we could get someone like that who could oversee Toriyama, maybe peoples’ faith in his work would return.

Toei, Toyotaro, and Toriyama all have a mix if good and bad. Perhaps putting all of them at equal control over the series with an overseer would do the series better in the future. Or we need a better series director. For the movie, we have a great director so even if Toriyama’s story is bad, we have the talent to turn it into an enjoy story.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:34 pm

RedHeat wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: BoG really wasn't that great. Yes Goku lost and yes the whole 12 universes thing was a massive drop (at the time) but those happened at the end of the film take that away and you have a very boring film where nothing literally happens, the direction is very poor with action being handled woefully, the main cast being treated like utter contempt

No, because those people are the vocal minority when it comes to the opinions of DBS.
Should I make a poll on people's expectations for the film before a trailer comes out or after?
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:41 pm

majinwarman wrote:
RedHeat wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Everyone I talk to seems to have low expectations for the film. Is this a bad sign for the future of Dragon Ball?
Should I make a poll on people's expectations for the film before a trailer comes out or after?
Both. And then compare the results and make a post about it. I’d be really interested to see it.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:38 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote: BoG really wasn't that great. Yes Goku lost and yes the whole 12 universes thing was a massive drop (at the time) but those happened at the end of the film take that away and you have a very boring film where nothing literally happens, the direction is very poor with action being handled woefully, the main cast being treated like utter contempt

I think the problem is Toriyama. He’s hit or miss these days. And, he’s too in control of his own work. Back in the days of DBZ, he had an editor. If we could get someone like that who could oversee Toriyama, maybe peoples’ faith in his work would return.

Toei, Toyotaro, and Toriyama all have a mix if good and bad. Perhaps putting all of them at equal control over the series with an overseer would do the series better in the future. Or we need a better series director. For the movie, we have a great director so even if Toriyama’s story is bad, we have the talent to turn it into an enjoy story.

Ho can you say the problem is Toriyama? The DBZ anime was an adaptation of his work. Toriyama is a not a movie storywriter, he's a manga-artist. Toriyama is a co-creator at this point, he doesn't have everything to dictate within this franchise.
Last edited by Mister_Popo on Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vegeta_Sama
Regular

Post by Vegeta_Sama » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:39 pm

Do you guys think we're going to see some Toriyama designs for this movie? Back when Yammamuro was in charge, they sometimes released some original design from Tori, is it going to be the same with Shintani? Because their styles look pretty similair, so it would be hard to tell which one is the author with new characters like Leto, Kikono etc...
Get Fucked, C_unt

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:03 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Everyone I talk to seems to have low expectations for the film. Is this a bad sign for the future of Dragon Ball?

Ho can you say the problem is Toriyama? The DBZ anime was an adaptation of his work. Toriyama is a not a movie storywriter, he's a manga-artist. Toriyama is a co-creator at this point, he doesn't have everything to dictate within this franchise.
Not the anime. I meant the whole manga. And he still has the most control over his own story.

Mister_Popo
Advanced Regular

Post by Mister_Popo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:17 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: I think the problem is Toriyama. He’s hit or miss these days. And, he’s too in control of his own work. Back in the days of DBZ, he had an editor. If we could get someone like that who could oversee Toriyama, maybe peoples’ faith in his work would return.

Not the anime. I meant the whole manga. And he still has the most control over his own story.

Most control? He used to draw the battle scenes himself. It's a shounen anime/manga. The battle scenes are a critical part of the story. Now basically everything is drawn for him. If he'd make the Super manga completely himself and the anime would be an adaptation, if the story would be really bad, you could maybe say it's Toriyama's mistake. Now i would say, if there is something you wouldn't like, it's the franchise, the partnership, that has co-made the product, you'd have to blame for it.

Bergamo
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Bergamo » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:10 pm

I highly doubt Super Saiyan Blue Evolution is coming. There hasn't been a single figure or piece of merchandise for SSBE, so it was probably never meant to be noteworthy.
My explanations for the events of my favorite current manga.

DBS Manga Explained: Goku Black's Transformations

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:48 pm

Mister_Popo wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Mister_Popo wrote:

Most control? He used to draw the battle scenes himself. It's a shounen anime/manga. The battle scenes are a critical part of the story. Now basically everything is drawn for him. If he'd make the Super manga completely himself and the anime would be an adaptation, if the story would be really bad, you could maybe say it's Toriyama's mistake. Now i would say, if there is something you wouldn't like, it's the franchise, the partnership, that has co-made the product, you'd have to blame for it.
Fighting is just for how a story looks. Toriyama is still the person in charge of the whole concept. The story. The meaning. He may not be in control of what fights look (becuase he doesn’t want to be, but he can if he wants), but he is in charge of who is fighting, where the fight is, when the fight is, and why the fight is happening.

People dont have a problem with the fights. They have a problem with some of the story. One of the men to blame for that is Toriyama.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:55 pm

I don’t know if I could say whether or not Toriyama is the problem, since I’ve been mixed on his work in the past five years. I enjoyed BoG, but I thought RF and Minus were pretty bad.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:05 pm

WittyUsername wrote:I don’t know if I could say whether or not Toriyama is the problem, since I’ve been mixed on his work in the past five years. I enjoyed BoG, but I thought RF and Minus were pretty bad.
Toriyama is the very meaning of "mixed feelings" nowadays. He came up with Movie 14 and Jaco, the Galactic Patrolman, both are okay, but then he came up with Movie 15 and Dragon Ball Minus, both are utterly crap.

I think I dislike more the latter works than I like the former ones, so probably Toriyama is not that good anymore to me. And on top of that, he also contributes for the "main series" to be in the safe zone. You wanna love the man but he won't let it. Here's to hope this Movie 1 makes it to the good side, so that maybe I can have faith again.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~