"Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FutureTrunks

Re: "Dragon Ball Super: Broly" - Animation Hub [Updated: 20/07]

Post by FutureTrunks » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:44 pm

I am going Wednesday night.
-Mark

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:41 pm

Doctor. wrote:Not the appropriate thread, but I feel it's more likely to get a response here: do we know who did the sound effects for this? Was it Arai?
It was the Super guy.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:56 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Not the appropriate thread, but I feel it's more likely to get a response here: do we know who did the sound effects for this? Was it Arai?
It was the Super guy.
The sound effects were awful.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:05 pm

Eh they're okay. They're certainly not as distinct as the old ones from what I've seen but they seem perfectly serviceable, same as Super really.

Sad to see Arai not even associated anymore though.

FutureTrunks

Post by FutureTrunks » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:55 pm

Went to see the movie last night and everything about it was so good. The animation, the colors, the dialogue and story was so good! The whole theater left pumped and pleased with the movie also.
-Mark

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:01 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
It was the Super guy.
The sound effects were fine. Not everything from Super is terrible considering most of the staff on this film are from Super.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:04 am

Having seen the film all the way through now the only thing I noticed that was off SFX-wise was one laser gun that literally used the same sound as some of the blasters in Star Wars. That was distracting for the 3 seconds it appeared in.

supersaiyanZero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by supersaiyanZero » Fri Jan 18, 2019 2:12 pm

majinwarman wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
majinwarman wrote: It was the Super guy.
The sound effects were fine. Not everything from Super is terrible considering most of the staff on this film are from Super.
The scene where they were teleporting all over the place sounded so weak, it was like a whiffing sound compared to the sharp sound we had in Z. Just a lot of stuff like that.

BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrolySSJL » Fri Jan 18, 2019 4:35 pm

Who made this scenes? I don't like it at all, the body, faces,... are REALLY weird :thumbdown:
I like Shintani style (the first 30 minutes or so are pretty good), but this Is the worst part of the movie for sure.

BakaManiaHD
Beyond Newbie

Post by BakaManiaHD » Fri Jan 18, 2019 5:03 pm

supersaiyanZero wrote:
I don't see how the SFXs ""awful"". The sound designer did a good job at giving weight to each blows, at making the perfect balance between OG DB and modern SFX and his use of foley was pretty good too. The teleporting sequence is the only thing that bothered me but the rest was solid, and a lot better than regular Super.
BrolySSJL wrote:Who made this scenes? I don't like it at all, the body, faces,... are REALLY weird :thumbdown:
I like Shintani style (the first 30 minutes or so are pretty good), but this Is the worst part of the movie for sure.
Naoki Tate handled that scene. Lots of people have been complaning about this part, but we all know the DB community.
I loved this part, it's filled with character acting, fun little movements and poses. Vegeta's expressions were amazing.
kill me

BrolySSJL
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrolySSJL » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:21 pm

BakaManiaHD wrote:
supersaiyanZero wrote:
I don't see how the SFXs ""awful"". The sound designer did a good job at giving weight to each blows, at making the perfect balance between OG DB and modern SFX and his use of foley was pretty good too. The teleporting sequence is the only thing that bothered me but the rest was solid, and a lot better than regular Super.
BrolySSJL wrote:Who made this scenes? I don't like it at all, the body, faces,... are REALLY weird :thumbdown:
Naoki Tate handled that scene. Lots of people have been complaning about this part, but we all know the DB community.
I loved this part, it's filled with character acting, fun little movements and poses. Vegeta's expressions were amazing.
The proportions of the body and some faces are really, really weird.

To be fair, I don't like it at all :lol:

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:42 pm

Tate's style is very obviously different, off-kilter even. I happen to love it, but I don't think it's wrong at all for people to say it's overboard, even speaking as someone who wouldn't mind seeing fuckin Masaaki Yuasa do something for the series.

cuartas
Beyond Newbie

Post by cuartas » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:25 pm

My annoyance is because I didn't see he stepped up at all.
I mean, all this time with the argument of the schedule to end up doing something that can easily fit on a regular DBS episode quality

dragon boss z

Post by dragon boss z » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:43 pm

The art and animation for the most part was the best it's ever been. I did not like how much CGI was used for the SSB Goku vs Broly fight though, it was definitely noticeable. And as someone brought up above, the scene with Goku, Vegeta, and Piccolo, had some weird art and body proportions. I also noticed Frieza's tail was really fat in a few scenes, but besides those things it was amazing.

Neo-Makaiōshin
I Live Here

Post by Neo-Makaiōshin » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:16 pm

cuartas wrote:My annoyance is because I didn't see he stepped up at all.
I mean, all this time with the argument of the schedule to end up doing something that can easily fit on a regular DBS episode quality
And what exactly did he need to step up?
Dragon Ball was always a kid series and fans should stop being in denial.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:01 pm

BrolySSJL wrote: The proportions of the body and some faces are really, really weird.
To be fair, I don't like it at all :lol:
Don't worry, you aren't the only one. Since DBS episode 5, 80% of the times that guy does something the fanbase always gets divided.
It's funny how some people were being about dramatic about Takahashi not following the sheets, and the complaints are about other animators work. How surprising.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:51 am

The only time I felt the CGI was actually hurting the fighting was Gogeta vs Broly in that dimension thing. I really felt like they should not have made them transform during a CGI scene. The trippy dimension thing was cool, but going from Shida to FighterZ was much more jarring than the other two times there was CGI.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:02 am

MajinMan wrote:The only time I felt the CGI was actually hurting the fighting was Gogeta vs Broly in that dimension thing. I really felt like they should not have made them transform during a CGI scene. The trippy dimension thing was cool, but going from Shida to FighterZ was much more jarring than the other two times there was CGI.
I agree. It was a weird choice having Gogeta's SSB and Broly's LSS transformations done in CGI. They were really quick, too, you could almost miss them.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:37 am

Shaddy wrote:Having seen the film all the way through now the only thing I noticed that was off SFX-wise was one laser gun that literally used the same sound as some of the blasters in Star Wars. That was distracting for the 3 seconds it appeared in.
There was a moment during the first Goku vs Broly fight where I swear I was hearing TIE Fighters

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:57 pm

MajinMan wrote:The only time I felt the CGI was actually hurting the fighting was Gogeta vs Broly in that dimension thing. I really felt like they should not have made them transform during a CGI scene. The trippy dimension thing was cool, but going from Shida to FighterZ was much more jarring than the other two times there was CGI.
Yes 100%! That whole thing was very poorly handled. We had cool form transitions throughout the film and Broly& Gogeta just went into their strongest like it was nothing.