"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Kagari wrote:Moving back to the Battle of the Gods designs seems to be a conscious decision, but I still wonder if it was Toriyama's intention or Toei's wish to do so.
The more characters get yonger as the series progresses the more it irritates me. Why can't they just age the kids at least?
It's that unending nostalgia grab spiral. The only way they can break out of it is if they stop focusing so hard on "Hey, remember this event/person/thing?".

I agree it is irritating.
They dont even have the balls to change Goku and Vegeta's outfit, now Gohan gets his Boo Saga gi where people best remembered him (I am surprised that they didnt include his bang, but I guess they just cant because of Cabba)
I doubt we'll even get an arc where Goku's attire is his EoZ gi.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:40 pm

Chuquita wrote:

It's that unending nostalgia grab spiral. The only way they can break out of it is if they stop focusing so hard on "Hey, remember this event/person/thing?".

Even Pokemon is doing it by remaking the first episode in a Movie.

The only way they can break out of it is if the sales or ratings start to take a hit or they get bombarded by fans on youtube, twitter, etc.

Get ready once Toei shoves Fem Broly down the fans throats.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:41 pm

MisteryOne wrote:
emperior wrote:
MisteryOne wrote: I'm afraid that it will look like shit with the new filter. Ajay made a video on Twitter about how the SSRose debut scene could have been with the filter, and Vegeta just hurts to my eyes.

ROF armor is the best outfit for Vegeta IMO (I like Boo arc outfit better by itself, but the black color is just perfect for SSB and also fits normal SS forms as well). Most of the characters had their best look in ROF.
Where can I find Goku Black going Rosè with the filter? I can't find it on Ajay's twitter
https://vid.me/Z87f
Personally, the only things I don't like are Rosé with aura and Blue Vegeta. The rest looks quite awesome IMO.
It's decent, but the filter actually looks different on the show. The lines aren't that thick and we saw Super Saiyan Blue isn't that Blue with the filter. Vegeta's skin also isn't that white with the filter. Also, in the video the white pallets of god ki are black for whatever reason.
I would say that this video isn't really accurate, but it's still a interesting example of what the show would have looked like with the filter during the FT arc.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:48 pm

Chuquita wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Kagari wrote:Moving back to the Battle of the Gods designs seems to be a conscious decision, but I still wonder if it was Toriyama's intention or Toei's wish to do so.
The more characters get yonger as the series progresses the more it irritates me. Why can't they just age the kids at least?

Unfortunately nostalgia is a big seller.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Doctor. wrote:If that happens, then that just shows the writers don't have the imagination to do anything differently. Even if Goku reacts as you say, then you can have Vegeta realize how fruitless his effort has been since Goku doesn't acknowledge his effort the way he wanted him to. You can do all kinds of interesting character stuff as long as you write it well. Goku is such a poorly written character, or so inconsistently written, that he's done stuff that would have been considered out-of-character a few arcs earlier and people still treat it as development.
'The writers' don't have full creative control of this series. Callous comments like this needlessly through them under the bus.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:59 pm

SansrivaaL wrote:
Chuquita wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:

They dont even have the balls to change Goku and Vegeta's outfit, now Gohan gets his Boo Saga gi where people best remembered him (I am surprised that they didnt include his bang, but I guess they just cant because of Cabba)
To be honest Gohan in his Cell Games outfit would be way more nostalgic than he is in his father's outfit. And by the way I would have preferred to see Gohan in that outfit but I don't complain as long as he isn't in that silly tracksuit.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:07 pm

JulieYBM wrote:
Doctor. wrote:If that happens, then that just shows the writers don't have the imagination to do anything differently. Even if Goku reacts as you say, then you can have Vegeta realize how fruitless his effort has been since Goku doesn't acknowledge his effort the way he wanted him to. You can do all kinds of interesting character stuff as long as you write it well. Goku is such a poorly written character, or so inconsistently written, that he's done stuff that would have been considered out-of-character a few arcs earlier and people still treat it as development.
'The writers' don't have full creative control of this series. Callous comments like this needlessly through them under the bus.
I'm obviously including Toriyama in the same statement.

omaro34
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by omaro34 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:14 pm

Kanassa wrote:I always saw Goku and Vegeta as a really one-sided rivalry, because Goku really never seemed to care about Vegeta's progress aside from one or two moments.
Especially in the English Dub when Goku comes out of the ROSAT in the Cell Arc and casually tells Vegeta, "Sure! i'm far above you", in such a carefree manner.

The pride lost points that day, I can tell you that.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Post by SansrivaaL » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:25 pm

emperior wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

To be honest Gohan in his Cell Games outfit would be way more nostalgic than he is in his father's outfit. And by the way I would have preferred to see Gohan in that outfit but I don't complain as long as he isn't in that silly tracksuit.
True but that was teen Gohan's nostalgic blast, adult Gohan's is his dad's gi. I actually prefer the tracksuit over his dad's gi, or even the saiyaman outfit without the cape and helmet.

Kagari
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kagari » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:38 pm

emperior wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
Chuquita wrote:

His father's outfit represents the last time he was serious though. I think that's what they're going for.

SuperRose

Post by SuperRose » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:46 pm

Sunday will be awful Animewise. atleast OnePiece chapter saved the Anime/Manga Week! No One Piece no Dragon Ball due useless shi* marathon. Take a break because you want it and deserve it but no it has to be, because of an marathon. :thumbdown:

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
emperior wrote: Where can I find Goku Black going Rosè with the filter? I can't find it on Ajay's twitter
Here

Its not him going rosé but it shows him with the filter
I thought Ajay didn't like it this filter :think:
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Psykomatik
Regular

Post by Psykomatik » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:15 pm

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:28 pm

The breaks drove me crazy during the Gokû Black arc, but now I'm depressingly apathetic to them.

*Holds out hope for King Ryû episode several weeks from now.*
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:31 pm

Psykomatik wrote:https://vid.me/Z87f

Here it is.
Hmm. That doesn't look half bad.

DBS916
Regular

Post by DBS916 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Psykomatik wrote:https://vid.me/Z87f

Here it is.
Hmm. That doesn't look half bad.
I agree. SSJ Rose looks really cool. I do like SSJ Blue, but it's just too blue with the filter.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:42 pm

emperior wrote:It's decent, but the filter actually looks different on the show. The lines aren't that thick and we saw Super Saiyan Blue isn't that Blue with the filter. Vegeta's skin also isn't that white with the filter. Also, in the video the white pallets of god ki are black for whatever reason.
I would say that this video isn't really accurate, but it's still a interesting example of what the show would have looked like with the filter during the FT arc.
This is what happens when videos get posted without the context of the tweets that were supposed to go with them. My fault for not putting any info in the description, I guess.

Couple of things: the video wasn't meant to be 1:1 with the current look of the show, it was just my own take on it. I produced a tutorial with accuracy more in mind later down the line.

The line thickness issues are out of my hands. I'm working with flattened video, so I don't have any control over the line art like Toei does. It's applied indiscriminately, which is why those small dots of white appear black.

The skin tones and auras are also totally blown out, again, as a result of not having complete control over the image -- well, that, and not caring enough to do it scene by scene.

I deliberately changed the blue hair colour, too. Figured if I'm not going for accuracy, I might as well have fun with it!

Hope people enjoy it as a fun 'What if?', but it's certainly not meant to hold up under scrutiny :thumbup: .
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Fri Mar 10, 2017 9:47 pm

Vermoud being enamored with justice might be a twist, but still, I don't expect to see their sense of justice being portrayed as anything other than false.

Also, Iru reminds me of a Jetsons or Flintstones character.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:03 pm

emperior wrote:To be honest Gohan in his Cell Games outfit would be way more nostalgic than he is in his father's outfit. And by the way I would have preferred to see Gohan in that outfit but I don't complain as long as he isn't in that silly tracksuit.
I agree! This would be my first choice and that would be the second one
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:45 pm

Noah wrote:
emperior wrote:To be honest Gohan in his Cell Games outfit would be way more nostalgic than he is in his father's outfit. And by the way I would have preferred to see Gohan in that outfit but I don't complain as long as he isn't in that silly tracksuit.
I agree! This would be my first choice and that would be the second one
Wow. Adult Gohan pulls that off much better than I thought he would.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.