"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

SansrivaaL
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by SansrivaaL » Wed May 10, 2017 4:54 am

TheRed259 wrote:According to this page, someone from Japan posted on his Twitter account a picture from episode 100. (google translate)
Shot looks really similar to Goku charging Bergamo back in episode 81
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 10, 2017 5:56 am

SansrivaaL wrote:
TheRed259 wrote:According to this page, someone from Japan posted on his Twitter account a picture from episode 100. (google translate)
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Probably because it is ... :lol: We had so many fakes like this when "F" film was on going, these people blur these on purpose to make it seem genuine, as soon as I see something that is "leaked" but blurry then I know it is fake.

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed May 10, 2017 7:11 am

Kanassa wrote:
TheMikado wrote: You know why don't they all just jump ship to another timeline?
In the quote you are replying to, I already state why that is the worst option. The main timeline is the only timeline where they have a chance of surviving.
No that's not true, Beerus is over 75 million years old. Who knows how old Zeno is, destroying the universe could have been another couple of million years and still could have been "soon" relative to the time he's been around. Nothing in the story supports that idea that Zeno was going to destroy the universes at the same point and time in history regardless of Goku and Co. Without Goku's interference the gang could have possibly lived full lives in peace and the been dead for millions of years before Zeno actually got around to doing anything. Plus as Lord Frieza mentions its pretty likely the two Zen'o thing impacted the decision that mortals were F*king up the multiverse.
Lord Frieza wrote:
Wow you care a lot about Trunks...good rant btw.
I do. Everyone watches DB for different reasons and for me its the characters, the lore, and what those characters symbolize. Vegeta being my favorite because he symbolizes redemption. In the height of his depravity and fall into darkness and power he found redemption and sacrifice through his son. Is it cliche? Maybe but things are cliche for a reason and it's usually because they're pretty darn good concepts. I've wrote on it before but for me Trunks symbolized hope, which I personally feel he no longer does, but he did at least save everyone in the other timeline. But for that only thing he managed to save to be threatened possibly by his action of going back in time again and ultimately Zen'o getting involved doesn't sit right with me. All he has left is Mai and the fact that he saved the other guys, but now indirectly the only things he has left in this world are jeopardized by his actions. And doesn't sound like the kind of hope I'm interested in.

Just so I don't sound like a negative nancy, the fights were good and Black is WAAAAYYY better in the anime than the manga, but I'm holding out hope that Trunks gets a better ending in some way as the overall plot is still a sore spot.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed May 10, 2017 7:36 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote:
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Probably because it is ... :lol: We had so many fakes like this when "F" film was on going, these people blur these on purpose to make it seem genuine, as soon as I see something that is "leaked" but blurry then I know it is fake.
Yup, it's fake. Episode 100 won't even be at the key animation stage yet, let alone at a point where it'd be coloured with backgrounds complete.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Wed May 10, 2017 9:19 am

Ajay wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
SansrivaaL wrote: Shot looks really similar to Goku charging Bergamo back in episode 81
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
Yup, it's fake. Episode 100 won't even be at the key animation stage yet, let alone at a point where it'd be coloured with backgrounds complete.
Are you sure about that ? We're on episode 90, that's only 10 weeks. You don't think we have episodes that take 10 weeks to animate yet? Even with the improved schedule ?
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Wed May 10, 2017 9:23 am

kinisking wrote:Are you sure about that ? We're on episode 90, that's only 10 weeks. You don't think we have episodes that take 10 weeks to animate yet? Even with the improved schedule ?
Very sure, though of course there's always a chance of that changing. The schedule improving is more a case of in-house key animators having more time for less work due to outsourcing, rather than the actual rotation times changing massively (which was never the best indicator in the first place).

Either way, even if it was to have this long and storyboards were done, it'd still be in the layout phase. Under no circumstances would it be finished and coloured as that fake image indicates.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 10, 2017 9:35 am

Gorou wrote:Quite false. It seems to me that you do not have the slightest knowledge of the huge work that requires a TV series. A TV series has to handle writing, recordings editing, sound, action scene, different shots (often certain scenes, or dialogues, must be repeated a few times), a much more varied cast, with lots of extras in the background. An anime is based on script writing, graphic correspondence, and dubbing. There is not the slightest comparison.

And I read that Toei's under paid staff were able to make an episode in two weeks, so your argument inexorably falls. And the definitive proof that the toei often make speed changes is the exchange with Jiren and Tappo on the 11th universe platform
Quick aside: Toei Animation is the only animation studio in Japan with a union (most animators don't even care to have one), so they're definitely not 'underpaid'.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Big Black Sayian » Wed May 10, 2017 10:05 am

Ajay wrote:
kinisking wrote:Are you sure about that ? We're on episode 90, that's only 10 weeks. You don't think we have episodes that take 10 weeks to animate yet? Even with the improved schedule ?
Very sure, though of course there's always a chance of that changing. The schedule improving is more a case of in-house key animators having more time for less work due to outsourcing, rather than the actual rotation times changing massively (which was never the best indicator in the first place).

Either way, even if it was to have this long and storyboards were done, it'd still be in the layout phase. Under no circumstances would it be finished and coloured as that fake image indicates.
I know animation isn't a quick process but how long does it take to complete one episode of Dragon Ball Super?

Neon Z
Advanced Regular

Post by Neon Z » Wed May 10, 2017 10:43 am

Lord Frieza wrote:That is true but I think this is kind of going one step beyond his normal selfish behavior. In all those situations Goku was very selfish and certainly not thinking of others well being, but think about Goku as asked literally all his other warrior chums to join and Yamcha, the poor dolt, is sitting at home expecting his old friend to at least come an ask him. Before hand Goku had a full team of people stronger then him and are their friends, so fair play on Goku's part. But how would you feel if a good friend say resurrected Hitler or Stalin for help and didnt even ask you? This whole idea will likely be negated when they talk about who to replace Buu and by pure logic someone will suggest him and Goku disagrees, then it aint so bad because at least they though of him...if they dont however well you cant tell me poor Yamcha will feel something almost as painful as ht felt when he found out Bulma was pregnant with Vegeta's child. Although lets be fair a lot of these situations are partly Yamcha's fault, he did messed Bulma around and his attitude towards training and fighting has really diminished over they years to the point were really its a bit obnoxious of him to just assume they would want his help.

Now I'm in the "yay Frieza" group but I still feel a bit sorry for this groups Omega Male.
Yamcha has been retired for more than a decade at this point, and he didn't even return for the Budokai or Freeza's invasion, unlike Kuririn. If anything it's odd that he's certain the others will go for him. Chaotzu would likely make more sense at this point.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed May 10, 2017 10:48 am

Yamcha not being considered isn't surprising, it's him being played as a joke for expecting an invite, I can't find much of a reason as to why this was done except to belittle the character
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Wed May 10, 2017 10:50 am

Big Black Saiyan wrote:
Ajay wrote:

I know animation isn't a quick process but how long does it take to complete one episode of Dragon Ball Super?
For the average anime episode:

Scenario: two weeks or less (depends on the speed of the writer).
Storyboard: three weeks (for a single person, usually)
Animation (Including layouts): a month and a half.
Everything else: usually about a month.

The average is supposed to be three months, but it really isn't uncommon in the industry for an episode to be made entirely in a single month.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed May 10, 2017 11:37 am

So would 8 hours left, with that being a third of a day guess Vegeta will have 4 months in the RoSaT. Well he is finally making up for daddy time! I was thinking it was weird that he went into the RoSaT for U6 and that was a friendly tournament. So it looks like no extra training for Goku then aside from what is coming up in #90? No sleep too by the looks of it.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed May 10, 2017 11:44 am

TheMikado wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
TheMikado wrote: You know why don't they all just jump ship to another timeline?
In the quote you are replying to, I already state why that is the worst option. The main timeline is the only timeline where they have a chance of surviving.
No that's not true, Beerus is over 75 million years old. Who knows how old Zeno is, destroying the universe could have been another couple of million years and still could have been "soon" relative to the time he's been around. Nothing in the story supports that idea that Zeno was going to destroy the universes at the same point and time in history regardless of Goku and Co. Without Goku's interference the gang could have possibly lived full lives in peace and the been dead for millions of years before Zeno actually got around to doing anything. Plus as Lord Frieza mentions its pretty likely the two Zen'o thing impacted the decision that mortals were F*king up the multiverse.
Lord Frieza wrote:
Wow you care a lot about Trunks...good rant btw.
I do. Everyone watches DB for different reasons and for me its the characters, the lore, and what those characters symbolize. Vegeta being my favorite because he symbolizes redemption. In the height of his depravity and fall into darkness and power he found redemption and sacrifice through his son. Is it cliche? Maybe but things are cliche for a reason and it's usually because they're pretty darn good concepts. I've wrote on it before but for me Trunks symbolized hope, which I personally feel he no longer does, but he did at least save everyone in the other timeline. But for that only thing he managed to save to be threatened possibly by his action of going back in time again and ultimately Zen'o getting involved doesn't sit right with me. All he has left is Mai and the fact that he saved the other guys, but now indirectly the only things he has left in this world are jeopardized by his actions. And doesn't sound like the kind of hope I'm interested in.

Just so I don't sound like a negative nancy, the fights were good and Black is WAAAAYYY better in the anime than the manga, but I'm holding out hope that Trunks gets a better ending in some way as the overall plot is still a sore spot.
Even if he waited a million years it changes nothing. Even a billion. Eventually all would have been destroyed. Now at least one can survive.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

TheMikado
I Live Here

Post by TheMikado » Wed May 10, 2017 12:10 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Even if he waited a million years it changes nothing. Even a billion. Eventually all would have been destroyed. Now at least one can survive.
Wait what? He never said he was going to destroy ALL the universes, just that there were too many and he was going to destroy some.
Had he waited a Billion years the AML (Average Mortal Level) could have changed, Beerus and kaioshin could have possibly gotten their sh*t together, and the Ruler of all creation wouldn't look like such a freaking child by using "Tournament of Power" to weed out the universe with the lowest AML (WHICH WE STILL DON'T EVEN KNOW THE CRITERIA FOR).

At this stage we aren't even sure if the challenge even makes sense in the context of what they are being graded on in the first place. i.e. what would a universe with a really low AML winning the tournament even prove?

Anyway, the point I was originally making is that no matter how you slice it, Trunks and Goku's interference is the not the natural course of how things would play out and we aren't even sure the universe would be destroyed anytime soon or in a billion years, be destroyed at all.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed May 10, 2017 12:33 pm

TheMikado wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Wait what? He never said he was going to destroy ALL the universes, just that there were too many and he was going to destroy some.
Had he waited a Billion years the AML (Average Mortal Level) could have changed, Beerus and kaioshin could have possibly gotten their sh*t together, and the Ruler of all creation wouldn't look like such a freaking child by using "Tournament of Power" to weed out the universe with the lowest AML (WHICH WE STILL DON'T EVEN KNOW THE CRITERIA FOR).

At this stage we aren't even sure if the challenge even makes sense in the context of what they are being graded on in the first place. i.e. what would a universe with a really low AML winning the tournament even prove?

Anyway, the point I was originally making is that no matter how you slice it, Trunks and Goku's interference is the not the natural course of how things would play out and we aren't even sure the universe would be destroyed anytime soon or in a billion years, be destroyed at all.
I agree with you end piece...let me more clearly say what I meant.

I just meant that at some point Zeno may have destroyed some or all the "crappy" universe that exist. In that case it would come without warning we would assume.

Now yes...the course has been changed but Id argue for the better. The deadline has been moved up but at least people can now have a say in their ultimate fate.

Remember that yes in a million years the main cast will be dead...but they will either be in heaven/hell and still be erased or have their soul recycled and reborn. Either way no matter the delay everyone would be erased the same.

I guess my point is just that destiny may have been moved up but it really doesnt make too much difference end game.

I agree there are a lot of what ifs and yes maybe U7 could have been outright spared, sure. I dont disagree with that much. Just saying its actually nice to control your own fate.

Sorry for the paragraphs haha.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed May 10, 2017 5:09 pm

I was wondering about that Frieza thing today. In Neko Majin Z 3 (set after 784), he's inexplicably alive again, has at least a working relationship with Vegeta, and has a son. Could this turn of events possibly be the set-up/backstory for that?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed May 10, 2017 5:13 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:I was wondering about that Frieza thing today. In Neko Majin Z 3 (set after 784), he's inexplicably alive again, has at least a working relationship with Vegeta, and has a son. Could this turn of events possibly be the set-up for that?
Neko Majin is a gag series, don't read too much into anything in it.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed May 10, 2017 5:21 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:Neko Majin is a gag series, don't read too much into anything in it.
If not for the Dr. Slump crossover and Jaco featuring so often, I wouldn't have given it a second thought. I wouldn't put it past Toriyama for the sake of a dumb joke. :lol:

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed May 10, 2017 5:22 pm

Revenue numbers are out:

To put into perspective this huge jump in profit, take note of what Dragon Ball was pulling in the year Super started:

Dragon Ball (Super) is making so much fucking money, it's insane. It's made more than twice the amount of money than One Piece has and is catching up fucking Gundam. And keep in mind the toyline in the US hasn't been released yet. It's gonna make even more money after that. Super is going to last for many more years.

ChaosLordBrandon
Regular

Post by ChaosLordBrandon » Wed May 10, 2017 5:24 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Revenue numbers are out:

To put into perspective this huge jump in profit, take note of what Dragon Ball was pulling in the year Super started:

Dragon Ball (Super) is making so much fucking money, it's insane. It's made more than twice the amount of money than One Piece has and is catching up fucking Gundam. And keep in mind the toyline in the US hasn't been released yet. It's gonna make even more money after that. Super is going to last for many more years.
Nah brah it's end very soon and this is the very last arc of the series :wink: