"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kinisking
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by kinisking » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:22 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:The series directors really like Krillin. Super, as whole has been, has been giving that guy more love than any other supporting character in the show
How so? Krillin didn't get much love in the bog, Champa, or Rof arc. Piccolo, Vegeta (if you consider him supporting ) and Gohan have been getting more love.
I don't consider Vegeta or Gohan to really be supporting characters. They are far too integral to the plot. This is how I really see it in the grand scheme of Dragon Ball characters:

Goku - Protagonist
Vegeta - Deuteragonist
Gohan - Tritagonist
Bulma, Krillin, Piccolo and Whis (Supporting characters)
Beerus - Foil
Everybody else - Fucking fodder

Since the end of the Future Trunks arc, Krillin has been getting a lot of love, it can be denied. He's been featured quite predominately in extensional episodes. He was also the first supporting character to have a two part episode centered around him.
After the future trunks arc, he's definitely been getting love. But overall in super , I think Piccolo gets more.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:29 pm

It's the directors they keep changing, right? Maybe Nagamine is a big fan of Krillin.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:31 pm

kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
kinisking wrote: How so? Krillin didn't get much love in the bog, Champa, or Rof arc. Piccolo, Vegeta (if you consider him supporting ) and Gohan have been getting more love.
I don't consider Vegeta or Gohan to really be supporting characters. They are far too integral to the plot. This is how I really see it in the grand scheme of Dragon Ball characters:

Goku - Protagonist
Vegeta - Deuteragonist
Gohan - Tritagonist
Beerus - Foil

Since the end of the Future Trunks arc, Krillin has been getting a lot of love, it can be denied. He's been featured quite predominately in extensional episodes. He was also the first supporting character to have a two part episode centered around him.
After the future trunks arc, he's definitely been getting love. But overall in super , I think Piccolo gets more.
Piccolo has gotten what?1 focus episode(vs frost one)?2 if you count the one where he trains gohan.
Outside of episode 88 in which he beats gohan in all his forms,he has been treated almost as bad as Tien.

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:32 pm

Chuquita wrote:It's the directors they keep changing, right? Maybe Nagamine is a big fan of Krillin.
Did nagamine wrote episode 84
Mostly active on discord.

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:37 pm

kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
kinisking wrote: How so? Krillin didn't get much love in the bog, Champa, or Rof arc. Piccolo, Vegeta (if you consider him supporting ) and Gohan have been getting more love.

Goku - Protagonist
Vegeta - Deuteragonist
Gohan - Tritagonist
Beerus - Foil

I'd argue Piccolo has been treated even worse than Gohan has for most of Super.

kinisking
I Live Here

Post by kinisking » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:47 pm

Whatever wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: I don't consider Vegeta or Gohan to really be supporting characters. They are far too integral to the plot. This is how I really see it in the grand scheme of Dragon Ball characters:

Goku - Protagonist
Vegeta - Deuteragonist
Gohan - Tritagonist
Beerus - Foil

Piccolo has gotten what?1 focus episode(vs frost one)?2 if you count the one where he trains gohan.
Outside of episode 88 in which he beats gohan in all his forms,he has been treated almost as bad as Tien.
In bog, piccolo actually gets a chance to fight. Plus he has a neat character moment where he stands up against Whis. Krillin gets burnt by buns he made himself.

Rof, Krillin has a neat character development but doesn't do much else afterwards. Piccolo at least attempts to fight Tagoma, and gets a noble sacrifice in.

Champa arc, Piccolo gets to hang with Goku and Vegeta again and gets his own fight. Krillin comes late because he was pooping iirc.

Future Trunks arc, piccolo teaches ft the Mafuba indirectly and brings it up too. Krillin..?

Universal survival arc has definitely given Krillin more attention though.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote: Maybe I should start making it a point not to comment when I'm not sure of something. Too many people know what they're talking about around here.
Disclaimer: I might get into a disagreement with you. Sometimes I might even get feisty about it. I'll never harbor negative feelings because of it though. I hope you feel the same way!
I made a bet with Alee9977 that Vegeta won't be beaten quickly by an opponent. If I lose, I switch my avatar to Vegeta getting beat by hit. If I win, he switches it to Vegeta holding Black by his hair. This will last a month.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jun 23, 2017 3:53 pm

Piccolo and Krillin didn't really get any focus after Return of F. Piccolo's brief battle with Frost went nowhere.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:01 pm

precita wrote:Piccolo and Krillin didn't really get any focus after Return of F. Piccolo's brief battle with Frost went nowhere.
It revealed Frost as a cheat. So it went somewhere.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:04 pm

HeroR wrote:
precita wrote:Piccolo and Krillin didn't really get any focus after Return of F. Piccolo's brief battle with Frost went nowhere.
It revealed Frost as a cheat. So it went somewhere.
Piccolo might as well not been in the Champa tournament at all. Super was still in the "This is the Goku and Vegeta show" mentality back then.

Whatever
Regular

Post by Whatever » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:12 pm

kinisking wrote:
Whatever wrote:
kinisking wrote: After the future trunks arc, he's definitely been getting love. But overall in super , I think Piccolo gets more.
In bog, piccolo actually gets a chance to fight. Plus he has a neat character moment where he stands up against Whis. Krillin gets burnt by buns he made himself.

Rof, Krillin has a neat character development but doesn't do much else afterwards. Piccolo at least attempts to fight Tagoma, and gets a noble sacrifice in.

Champa arc, Piccolo gets to hang with Goku and Vegeta again and gets his own fight. Krillin comes late because he was pooping iirc.

Future Trunks arc, piccolo teaches ft the Mafuba indirectly and brings it up too. Krillin..?

Well in bog Piccolo got a little more seconds of screentime than Krillin but its not like he did anything important.
In Rof its just like you said exept piccolo gets destroyed and get killed,krillin's 'moment' helped him in a good way unlike piccolo.
In Champa arc,Goku tells piccolo he sucks but in a gentle way,fights against frost the later who poisons him,blows a hole on his chest,defeats him and mocks him on top of that.Piccolo tenchnically wins the match since frost cheated but not really since Vegeta bullies piccolo to forfeit his only victory in super at this point.
In future trunks arc i agree.
Piccolo has been more involved in the main events than Krillin but since he only ended up getting hummilated in the Rof and Champa arc,Krillin had it better.

OLKv3
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by OLKv3 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:39 pm

They're really making up for how they treated Krillin in the RoF remake

Beyond
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Beyond » Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:58 pm

Whatever wrote:
kinisking wrote:
Whatever wrote: Piccolo has gotten what?1 focus episode(vs frost one)?2 if you count the one where he trains gohan.

Well in bog Piccolo got a little more seconds of screentime than Krillin but its not like he did anything important.
In Rof its just like you said exept piccolo gets destroyed and get killed,krillin's 'moment' helped him in a good way unlike piccolo.
In Champa arc,Goku tells piccolo he sucks but in a gentle way,fights against frost the later who poisons him,blows a hole on his chest,defeats him and mocks him on top of that.Piccolo tenchnically wins the match since frost cheated but not really since Vegeta bullies piccolo to forfeit his only victory in super at this point.
In future trunks arc i agree.
Piccolo has been more involved in the main events than Krillin but since he only ended up getting hummilated in the Rof and Champa arc,Krillin had it better.
RoF arc in general is trash and there is a reason people tell you to skip it and watch the movies. Piccolo, Gohan, Krillin all looked bad in my book. Krillin got regressed and that moment didn't really help him at all in the grand scheme.

Piccolo was done dirty in the Champa arc, but at least he would have won. Giving how Tien, Yamacha and Buu get treated Piccolo is doing ok I guess. If Vegeta fought Frost first, there is a good chance he would have just beat his ass before he got a chance to use the poison and Jaco wouldn't have said anything. That's something.

F.T arc is whatever

In this current arc Piccolo set out to train Gohan, and by the looks of it did a great job. He also hasn't caused any unnecessary drama and probably won't be the cause of any drama. All Piccolo has to do is manage to take at least 1 person out before he gets ringed out and he's golden.

Yedis
Beyond Newbie

Post by Yedis » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:06 pm

I think E99 is going to be another "Krillin is scared to fight" thing however this time he will overcome his fear and start doing well against other universe's fighters.

Episode 82 was titled Never Forgive Son Goku! Toppo the Warrior of Justice Intrudes!! I could be wrong, but I think E101 could be about Toppo instead of Jiren.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:10 pm

Beyond wrote:RoF arc in general is trash and there is a reason people tell you to skip it and watch the movies. Piccolo, Gohan, Krillin all looked bad in my book.
It made Vegeta look better than the movie did so it makes up for everything else.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:37 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:The series directors really like Krillin. Super, as whole has been, has been giving that guy more love than any other supporting character in the show
I wonder why. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Krillin, but it just feels weird promoting the guy when he arguably hasn't been relevant from a combat standpoint since the Saiyan arc.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:43 pm

LightBing wrote:I hope we get at a minimum half an episode focused on every character. Hopefully Kuririn's episode is the first one of many.
Yeah I would be disappointed if other characters don't get some shine. Because if they don't singling out Krillin favourably would raise eyebrows.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:47 pm

The gr wrote:
Chuquita wrote:It's the directors they keep changing, right? Maybe Nagamine is a big fan of Krillin.
Did nagamine wrote episode 84
84 was written by King Ryu, but I've read there's lots of hands in the pudding when it comes to the script, so it could be any number of people who told them to focus on Krillin.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:47 pm

precita wrote: Piccolo might as well not been in the Champa tournament at all. Super was still in the "This is the Goku and Vegeta show" mentality back then.
He still revealed Frost as a cheater, so you can't say he did nothing.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:50 pm

Beyond wrote:
RoF arc in general is trash and there is a reason people tell you to skip it and watch the movies. Piccolo, Gohan, Krillin all looked bad in my book. Krillin got regressed and that moment didn't really help him at all in the grand scheme.

Piccolo was done dirty in the Champa arc, but at least he would have won. Giving how Tien, Yamacha and Buu get treated Piccolo is doing ok I guess. If Vegeta fought Frost first, there is a good chance he would have just beat his ass before he got a chance to use the poison and Jaco wouldn't have said anything. That's something.

F.T arc is whatever

In this current arc Piccolo set out to train Gohan, and by the looks of it did a great job. He also hasn't caused any unnecessary drama and probably won't be the cause of any drama. All Piccolo has to do is manage to take at least 1 person out before he gets ringed out and he's golden.
People tell people to skip Resurrection 'F' because of the animation, not the story where most likes better than the movie.
Kanassa wrote:

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:52 pm

omaro34 wrote:
I wonder why. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind Krillin, but it just feels weird promoting the guy when he arguably hasn't been relevant from a combat standpoint since the Saiyan arc.
Because he has the same voice as Luffy, It feels thats the main reason they have been promoting Krillin hard after the Trunks Arc. Knowing that OP is the number 1 series worldwide today, Toei is just attempting to gain extra cash with this move..