"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JulianStyles
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by JulianStyles » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:51 am

I dont think we are getting any 5 episode Jiren vs Goku fight. 3 episodes at most.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:31 am

JulianStyles wrote:I dont think we are getting any 5 episode Jiren vs Goku fight. 3 episodes at most.
I think they'll pull an "Episode 66" and cram all of the action of Goku/Jiren into one compact episode. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling they'll do that.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:33 am

I had hoped for a long 10 episode or so final fight, but as things are now it's gonna be more along the lines of 3-4 episodes at most with everything stuffed together into a giant ball ikari trunks..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
JulianStyles wrote:I dont think we are getting any 5 episode Jiren vs Goku fight. 3 episodes at most.
I think they'll pull an "Episode 66" and cram all of the action of Goku/Jiren into one compact episode. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling they'll do that.
IMO This is why Super cant compete with Z even though the actual writing isnt any worse objectively.

With Z you had the payoff of the Frieza, Cell and Buu fights. They felt like the grueling end of a mission. Closest in Super was against Hit the first time IMO and that wasnt overly drawn out.

I'm not the type to constantly compare Super to Z but I think this one is valid. Some will say those fights were too long...but still there should be a happy medium.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:12 am

Ki Breaker wrote:I had hoped for a long 10 episode or so final fight, but as things are now it's gonna be more along the lines of 3-4 episodes at most with everything stuffed together into a giant ball ikari trunks..
Considering some people complained that the fight between Goku and Beerus dragged on for too long and that lasted 4 episodes, I can't imagine people sitting through a fight between two people that lasts 10 episodes.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
IMO This is why Super cant compete with Z even though the actual writing isnt any worse objectively.

With Z you had the payoff of the Frieza, Cell and Buu fights. They felt like the grueling end of a mission. Closest in Super was against Hit the first time IMO and that wasnt overly drawn out.

I'm not the type to constantly compare Super to Z but I think this one is valid. Some will say those fights were too long...but still there should be a happy medium.
I enjoyed the battle between Goku, Vegeta, Future Trunks and all of the Earthling from Future Trunks world and Goku Black/Zamasu. That battle in my opinion had a really great tug-of-war like atmosphere, with how much of no matter how badly Goku Black/Zamasu would make the scenario, the heroes would always find a way to fight back.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:14 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:I had hoped for a long 10 episode or so final fight, but as things are now it's gonna be more along the lines of 3-4 episodes at most with everything stuffed together into a giant ball ikari trunks..
Considering some people complained that the fight between Goku and Beerus dragged on for too long and that lasted 4 episodes, I can't imagine people sitting through a fight between two people that lasts 10 episodes.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote: I think they'll pull an "Episode 66" and cram all of the action of Goku/Jiren into one compact episode. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling they'll do that.

I enjoyed the battle between Goku, Vegeta, Future Trunks and all of the Earthling from Future Trunks and Goku Black/Zamasu. That battle in my opinion had a really great tug-of-war like atmosphere, with how much of no matter how badly Goku Black/Zamasu would make the scenario, the heroes would always find a way to fight back.
Yeah, I agree with that too. I would have liked it a bit more if the fights werent so spaced out, but it was required story wise I guess.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:47 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
I think four episodes is fine, but 10? Please, god no. 10 episodes of one fight is a terrible idea, that's what made Z such a chore to sit through and the final battles rather lack luster for me.
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:13 am

Kanassa wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:
I think four episodes is fine, but 10? Please, god no. 10 episodes of one fight is a terrible idea, that's what made Z such a chore to sit through and the final battles rather lack luster for me.
The individual episodes are so lackluster I stopped watching, if they don't even make this work in their favor and spread out the final fight in an epic stare down hard to beat boss, it won't pay off..
Instead of the same old repeat of Goku loses, stands up screams and proceeds to wreak him in one episode..
It is not entertaining.. dosen't matter if or not he wins the said fight, there isn't variety..

Let the fight spread out, let it be difficult to fight, show us how tanky they are, make background damage high, badass shots, basically have the fights tell the story..
that's what I would like to have from it when I am going the route of binge watch from the start..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:29 am

Lord Beerus wrote:I think they'll pull an "Episode 66" and cram all of the action of Goku/Jiren into one compact episode. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling they'll do that.
I'm hoping Goku gets his shot at Jiren sooner rather than later and the fight is spread out over a few episodes intercut with action from the other fighters. It'll be one of the main event matches but I don't think the tournament will just wind down to a Goku v. Jiren 1-on-1 at the end. The Pride Troopers are already down to 4 people and there's a decent chance Dyspo and the other guy are going out this weekend. Jiren and Toppo might be forced to act soon.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:49 pm

Whatever wrote: Yes you forgot that Goku vs Jirren is gonna be a 3 episodes fight at the least,considering Goku is gonna get a new form.
Most of the final fights in Super have been only two episodes. Hit vs. Goku took up the last third of Episode 38, all of 39, and over half of 40. The final battle with Merged Zamasu was only two episodes, unless you count him merging with the multiverse, which bumps it up to 2.5. There haven't been a fight that lasted more than two episodes since the Beerus vs. Super Saiyan God Goku and Goku vs. Frieza.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

Z's fights were overly dragged and longer than it needed to be, especially Goku vs. Freeza. They could have easily been cut and not lose all of the 'pay offs'. Cell coming back as Super Perfect Cell really annoyed me when I first saw and I actually went 'oh come on!', especially the reason why he came back was contrived.
Last edited by HeroR on Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:51 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
Lord Beerus wrote:I think they'll pull an "Episode 66" and cram all of the action of Goku/Jiren into one compact episode. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling they'll do that.
I'm hoping Goku gets his shot at Jiren sooner rather than later and the fight is spread out over a few episodes intercut with action from the other fighters. It'll be one of the main event matches but I don't think the tournament will just wind down to a Goku v. Jiren 1-on-1 at the end. The Pride Troopers are already down to 4 people and there's a decent chance Dyspo and the other guy are going out this weekend. Jiren and Toppo might be forced to act soon.
Honestly I think a 2 v 2 or 3 v 2 final matchup would be more intense than a 1-1. By this I dont mean lime...tag team. I just mean lets say Goku is fighting Jiren while Frieza is fighting Toppo or something.

I mean imagine you have a field of the top 4-7 fighters from a couple universe left, time is winding down. Everyone is in a frenzy to make sure they have the most contestants left but the battles are grueling.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:57 pm

really hoping the namekians dont end up being a one and done pair but it feels like it will be.

I half expect Piccolo to absorb them and take their power as his own at this point

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:57 pm

BlueBasilisk wrote:
That is how I feel. Goku vs. Jiren being five or more episodes will only work if they do it a Luffy vs. Lucci from One Piece. That is one of the longest fights in One Piece, but a lot of stuff happened during that fight and wasn't even the center piece of many episodes. I don't see it since the TOP doesn't have another side stories going for that.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

namekiansaiyan
I Live Here

Post by namekiansaiyan » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:13 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:really hoping the namekians dont end up being a one and done pair but it feels like it will be.

I half expect Piccolo to absorb them and take their power as his own at this point
The only way Piccolo would absorb them is if they are last ones left on team Universe 6 as why would they both fuse if they still have a chance to survive due to others being in from their Universe. They don't look like they are going to be that nice either and will be quite powerful.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:17 pm

Lord Beerus wrote: I think they'll pull an "Episode 66" and cram all of the action of Goku/Jiren into one compact episode. I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling they'll do that.
No way they will do that. Episode 66 is just one episode of the final battle against Merged Zamasu that lasted 3 episodes.
The new Opening focuses a lot in Goku vs Jiren and Goku will have a new power up. Their fight last only one episode is out of question.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 16, 2017 3:19 pm

HeroR wrote:
Whatever wrote: Yes you forgot that Goku vs Jirren is gonna be a 3 episodes fight at the least,considering Goku is gonna get a new form.
Most of the final fights in Super have been only two episodes. Hit vs. Goku took up the last third of Episode 38, all of 39, and over half of 40. The final battle with Merged Zamasu was only two episodes, unless you count him merging with the multiverse, which bumps it up to 2.5. There haven't been a fight that lasted more than two episodes since the Beerus vs. Super Saiyan God Goku and Goku vs. Frieza.
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

Z's fights were overly dragged and longer than it needed to be, especially Goku vs. Freeza. They could have easily been cut and not lose all of the 'pay offs'. Cell coming back as Super Perfect Cell really annoyed me when I first saw and I actually went 'oh come on!', especially the reason why he came back was contrived.
I dont really agree but its personal taste, not something that can really be argued. I like longer fights better, Frieza vs Goku on Namek is one of the best anime fights IMO.

Though like I said there can be an in between the two extremes.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:07 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
No way they will do that. Episode 66 is just one episode of the final battle against Merged Zamasu that lasted 3 episodes.
The new Opening focuses a lot in Goku vs Jiren and Goku will have a new power up. Their fight last only one episode is out of question.
Merged Zamasu was two episodes, not three. Two and a half if you count multiverse Merged Zamasu.
Kanassa wrote:

Jigurashi
Advanced Regular

Post by Jigurashi » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:07 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
HeroR wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:

I dont really agree but its personal taste, not something that can really be argued. I like longer fights better, Frieza vs Goku on Namek is one of the best anime fights IMO.

For that, it depends for me. Goku VS Freeza in the anime was dragged out way too long. 4hrs and 15 minutes of a fight is way too long to be sitting to watch one fight. The manga version of that fight was awesome to me though. Conversely, things like Goku VS Cell in the anime I found far better than the manga version as you really see Goku struggle and go all out making a fight competitive with an opponent who is stronger and faster than him. The manga version of the fight wasn't as competitive as the anime version was.

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:11 pm

Jigurashi wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
HeroR wrote:

For that, it depends for me. Goku VS Freeza in the anime was dragged out way too long. 4hrs and 15 minutes of a fight is way too long to be sitting to watch one fight. The manga version of that fight was awesome to me though. Conversely, things like Goku VS Cell in the anime I found far better than the manga version as you really see Goku struggle and go all out making a fight competitive with an opponent who is stronger and faster than him. The manga version of the fight wasn't as competitive as the anime version was.
I will say I obviously wouldnt want every fight that long. That would be ridiculous. Not even every main fight. Just once in a while.

Fights really only get stale to me when the writers stop being creative with the flow of the battle. For example I think Goku vs Cell was amazing in the anime..but once Gohan jumped in it really started to drag out after Cell exploded.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:20 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:

Fights really only get stale to me when the writers stop being creative with the flow of the battle. For example I think Goku vs Cell was amazing in the anime..but once Gohan jumped in it really started to drag out after Cell exploded.
I did like the Cell vs. Goku fight, mostly because it showed Goku's Battle smarts and experience. He gave Cell a hard time despite him being stronger and faster and would have killed Cell if Toriyama didn't create a plot hole.

Then things went downhill after Gohan stepped in. Honestly, Cell vs. Gohan is one of my least favorite fights in the franchise since there was no real fighting. Just moments.