"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

darzap
Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by darzap » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:04 pm

sintzu wrote:That doesn't make them better characters or better written.
I think they are pretty similar to existing characters. They just seem weird, because we don't have a backstory to make excuses for their weird behaviour, but at their core, I wouldn't say Caulifla is more annoying than Goku, or that Kale or Cabba are more annoying than Gohan. I'm just less used to them.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:07 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:
HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
That is your highlight of the arc you mean.
You just have to go on YouTube and see people praising the ‘Saiyan Showdown’ and even Reddit.

You don’t have to be salty towards me that people didn’t mind the Saiyans getting a bunch of spotlight, even given the nature of Cali and Kale’s characters.
You can also go on Youtube and see a bunch of hate comments for them characters as well.

And obviously r/dbz likes them, they've been going full defense mode on Super lately, downvoting anything talking bad about Super or the tingle sayain.
youtube is filled with kids, teenagers and people who grow up with the dub. I don't think their views are all that valid.

MajinMan
Advanced Regular

Post by MajinMan » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:51 pm

Youtube comments are god awful. It's full of sheep who just regurgitate opinions without having any original thoughts of their own. Very few comments are even slightly thought out.

And back on the topic of S-Cells and Yamoshi. After mulling over it for a while, I don't care for the S-Cells explanation. It wasn't needed. It reminds me of the Star Wars explanation for the Force. I honestly think he should have left this bit out.

Yamoshi is actually pretty interesting. I like the story behind him, but I hope to god it doesn't turn into a reincarnation story about how Goku inherited his wandering soul or whatever. If that happens, it will top DB Minus as the worst modern DB story by a MILE.
Heroes come and go, but legends are forever.

Rest in peace.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:55 pm

precita wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
HeroR wrote:
You just have to go on YouTube and see people praising the ‘Saiyan Showdown’ and even Reddit.

You don’t have to be salty towards me that people didn’t mind the Saiyans getting a bunch of spotlight, even given the nature of Cali and Kale’s characters.
You can also go on Youtube and see a bunch of hate comments for them characters as well.

And obviously r/dbz likes them, they've been going full defense mode on Super lately, downvoting anything talking bad about Super or the tingle sayain.
youtube is filled with kids, teenagers and people who grow up with the dub. I don't think their views are all that valid.
Why does one being teenager and/or a dub fan make their views any less valid? I see this get thrown around so much it's lost meaning. Yes YouTube comments are shit but not for those reasons.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:15 pm

Teenagers, especially teens now in 2015-2017, have only been fans for a short time naturally as they were kids in the early/mid 2000's. They obviously aren't well informed on Dragonball history but a few or know its lore.

Anyone who is a teen now was obviously just a kid from 2003-2010, so what do you expect?

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:20 pm

So, concerning the supplemental info with Toriyama interview...What happened to the part on the Saiyan transformations?

Helios518
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Helios518 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:27 pm

Miracles wrote:So, concerning the supplemental info with Toriyama interview...What happened to the part on the Saiyan transformations?
He already gave us info on the Saiyan transformations (at least SSJ and God) but we know that there's 9 questions in the Q&A but we've only seen 3 so far. So there's 6 questions we're missing right now.
Why I use "Geran" instead of "Jiren"

Miracles
I Live Here

Post by Miracles » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:34 pm

Helios518 wrote:
Miracles wrote:So, concerning the supplemental info with Toriyama interview...What happened to the part on the Saiyan transformations?
He already gave us info on the Saiyan transformations (at least SSJ and God) but we know that there's 9 questions in the Q&A but we've only seen 3 so far. So there's 6 questions we're missing right now.
So far...So boring.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:26 pm

MajinMan wrote:Youtube comments are god awful. It's full of sheep who just regurgitate opinions without having any original thoughts of their own. Very few comments are even slightly thought out.

And back on the topic of S-Cells and Yamoshi. After mulling over it for a while, I don't care for the S-Cells explanation. It wasn't needed. It reminds me of the Star Wars explanation for the Force. I honestly think he should have left this bit out.

Yamoshi is actually pretty interesting. I like the story behind him, but I hope to god it doesn't turn into a reincarnation story about how Goku inherited his wandering soul or whatever. If that happens, it will top DB Minus as the worst modern DB story by a MILE.
Sadly Indeed, that is why I just stay away from abunch of them now when it comes to DB Topics or any major topic now or video.

YouTube commentators, at least to many of them, are just sewage. They are hateful to terrible level and only care about any comment that is only 1/2 a sentence long. Make a comment 2 sentences long or more, some they get upset and wonder why you are talking so much?! It is Bandwagon effect, trolling and flaming for those reasons alone. Not sure even if many are really people having a real opinion or if they just say it to have fun trolling.

YouTube has some good commentators, but they are few and far between the sewage YT allowed itself to become. No video seems to get posted without some sewage being spewed and it getting to become to much the majority of the comments. I would not go by YT commentators or even some YT videos created by some fans as being a good measuring stick of fandom or knowledge of Dragon Ball. When you can say anything you want to without a filter and/or have the ablity to be challenged back, you can say anything you want and make it fact sadly.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:16 pm

Not surprised about universe six. Interesting to see how Beerus would react seeing his brother erased.
Last edited by omaro34 on Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:17 pm

perucho1990 wrote:Yet Cabba ended up with the most singles eliminations in U6, with 3.
You say that like it means something significant. If a stronger fighter like Hit didn't bother wasting his time with fodder and went against the strongest guy there that holds a lot more weight to the plot and people's memory of the arc. Sure he lost, but he went down swinging.

I have to rewatch who Cabba took out again, and I watch the episodes weekly.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:42 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
I see people praising as a highlight because of Ultra Instinct, Goku using his energy to dodge Keflas attack and Kefla getting bodied rather than the whole 4-5 episode fight with the girls.
While, that is the highlight for sure, but I have seen praised for 114 and even 113 to a lesser extent. 115 is the weakest episode of the bunch.
Yedis wrote:
precita wrote:As of right now, the fights with Caulifa/Kale were definitely the highlight of the tournament and what people will talk about for years to come. Every other fight is too brief or didn't make much impact.

We'll see how the final Goku/Jiren fight goes. But as of right now I don't see any other fights in the tournament, even if most were good, being considered standout.
I think among the fanbase the first Jiren vs Goku fight will be favored over Caulifla/Kale vs Goku.

But you bring up a good point there are is a lack of impact fights you measure it against.
I have seen people on both Youtube and Reddit called the fight with Kefla, 116 specifically, was better than the Jiren fight. People also praised 114 for showing Goku as a fighter and Kale and Cali's teamwork.

But in either case, I'm not trolling anyone. Just stating what seems to be the opinion of the fandom. Although I can't say it's the majority opinion for obvious reasons. Only that a lot of people did considered the 'Saiyan Showdown' either the highlight so far or one of the highlights.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:48 pm

precita wrote:I don't know why they reveal all this stuff in interviews but never put it in the actual series. Many people never read interviews or these behind the scenes type stuff, and since it's never put in the actual episodes a whole bunch of people never know this stuff and get misinformed, etc.

I have no idea why they keep doing stuff like this.
Dragon Ball is hardly the only series that has 'All in the Manuel' information. Star Wars, Aliens, comics, and even American cartoons do this. Some information simply don't fight in the show or movie.
The_Destroyer wrote:
HeroR wrote:
namekiansaiyan wrote:
That is your highlight of the arc you mean.

I have seen people up vote people who hate them and are glad they're being erased. So that isn't proven your point. And a lot of the Youtube hate comments about them have a sexist overtone, so I don't take them seriously.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:53 pm

I don't take the opinions of anyone outside kazenshuu and Japanese twitter/forums seriously anyway. No idea why people keep bringing up youtube comments, reddit, or anywhere else. Kazenshuu is a hardcore Dragonball forum where people have hardcore views on Dragonball, and study the material and comb over it like it's a fine-tooth comb. Other places are filled with casual fans who grew up with the dub or young teenagers.

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:18 pm

precita wrote:I don't take the opinions of anyone outside kazenshuu and Japanese twitter/forums seriously anyway. No idea why people keep bringing up youtube comments, reddit, or anywhere else. Kazenshuu is a hardcore Dragonball forum where people have hardcore views on Dragonball, and study the material and comb over it like it's a fine-tooth comb. Other places are filled with casual fans who grew up with the dub or young teenagers.
That is a good way to look at it, I would also suggest my Home Forum Thread Comic Book Resource. Even thought it is major comic books, we have our share of DB Threads and they are intelligent and well seasoned fans as well. The only problem with the other places is that to many, mainly those that make and star in YouTube videos, seem to take the how the fandom is feeling about the show from those sights, espically YouTube Posters. Not all YT Stars, but enough give the credence that their views are just as valued even if they are serious is knowing the franchised or not. They just seem to say they have value and majority opinion rules no matter how foolish or over the top their comment section may sound. :lolno:
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Hawk9211
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hawk9211 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 pm

darzap wrote:
I think they are pretty similar to existing characters.
One of my major problems with them.They just don’t stand out.
Why power levels are important?
The genre and roots of dragon ball

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:59 pm

HeroR wrote: I have seen people up vote people who hate them and are glad they're being erased. So that isn't proven your point. And a lot of the Youtube hate comments about them have a sexist overtone, so I don't take them seriously.
I've seen well written posts that criticize Super get downvoted into oblivion while dumb shit like "DAE anyone else like Super? I feel like I'm only one!" gets on the front page every single week.

So you disregard things that dont help your point? Okay then let's disregard all the posts that praises those episodes because clearly some of the posters only like the characters because they're female, which is also sexist.

Or maybe we could not generalize based on what we see altogether?
precita wrote: youtube is filled with kids, teenagers and people who grow up with the dub. I don't think their views are all that valid.
I only brought up Youtube because HeroR did.

And are you saying their views aren't valid because they disagree with you? And why does their age matter? Hell, Teenagers and Kids are what Super is directed to, not to us!

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:07 pm

Now that I'm thinking about Pepsi Man and Ribrianne are basically the same type of gag character. A character who has only has one schtick, constantly fights stronger opponents and gets their asses kicked, and despite being so weak have lasted longer than they should have. Main difference is that one is liked and the other is hated, granted one did show up a lot more than the other. Still rooting for Pepsi Man to knock somebody out or at the very least go out in a blaze of glory.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:11 pm

Helios518 wrote:
There's 9 questions?
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:24 pm

precita wrote:
The_Destroyer wrote:
HeroR wrote:

I think most English speakers grew up with the dub. >.>
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super