"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:35 pm

TekTheNinja wrote:
Totamo wrote:
Olympian wrote:
Well...you can. It`s a story about his whole legacy, the good and bad and particularly the connection with the fanbase. People got hold on it before they knew how the story would unfold and the good sales number followed. At the very least it gives credence that Yamcha is indeed popular narrative and that there`s clearly fanbase that wants to see the underdog get his award and respect.
Bro, come on. Yamcha's death pose is still used as parody in both western and eastern media.

There is a reason they picked Yamcha and not Tien or Piccolo, is because Yamcha is seen as a joke. Even the moments that weren't to be funny have now become funny because how bad this character gets it.
Thing is, he was never treated as a joke in-universe until Super. He used to be a trusted friend and fighter, but here no one even thought to invite him despite his clear desire to go. Goku even thought of bringing Frieza of all people before thinking of his long-time friend.
Given the choice between making Yamcha happy and surviving I'd say he did the right thing at the time.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:36 pm

Is net neutrality gonna affect anime website really? I honestly don’t think they’ll do shit not if Congress pass it or not

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:08 pm

GodKaio-Ken wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote:
Totamo wrote: Bro, come on. Yamcha's death pose is still used as parody in both western and eastern media.

There is a reason they picked Yamcha and not Tien or Piccolo, is because Yamcha is seen as a joke. Even the moments that weren't to be funny have now become funny because how bad this character gets it.
Thing is, he was never treated as a joke in-universe until Super. He used to be a trusted friend and fighter, but here no one even thought to invite him despite his clear desire to go. Goku even thought of bringing Frieza of all people before thinking of his long-time friend.
Given the choice between making Yamcha happy and surviving I'd say he did the right thing at the time.
Can't wait until Frieza betrays everyone so this can stopped being used

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:34 pm

sintzu wrote:
That's insane, there's no way Disney...but if they give Vegeta his own show and comic...you know what, that's not a bad idea. Come on Disney, another 2-4 billion isn't that much. :lol:
Speaking of Disney

http://comicbook.com/anime/2017/12/14/d ... on-rights/

DBS could be "moused" and it would be awesome a DBS crossover with Star Wars.

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:41 pm

Man Vegeta vs jiren is going to be beautiful.

RedHeat
Regular

Post by RedHeat » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:43 pm

Oh shite, I forgot what today was.

We should be getting some major news in regards to Jump Fest any time now, right?
Feels over Reals.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:45 pm

Supersaiyanbulla wrote:Image
Man Vegeta vs jiren is going to be beautiful.
A. That Super Saiyan Goku shot is Yuichi Karsawa
B. That Vegetto shot is not Shida
C. Shida is just doing the storyboard is it's very unlikely that he'll be animating since the big climax battle will be coming up.

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:51 pm

RedHeat wrote:Oh shite, I forgot what today was.

We should be getting some major news in regards to Jump Fest any time now, right?
Are we really?

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:57 pm

Supersaiyanbulla wrote: Are we really?
Probably not till tomorrow night.

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:59 pm

ArchedThunder wrote:

Supersaiyanbulla wrote: Are we really?
Probably not till tomorrow night.
Waiting that long is a pain.

mahakaishin1991
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mahakaishin1991 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:00 pm

the more i watch this arc the more i feel freeza was so underused Cell would have been a better call. His hyper competitive nature would make him go out looking for fighters rather than skulk offscreen. Hed probably b-line for universe 3 to show himself best android. Plus his antagonistic relationship with 17 and 18 would mean a lot of interesting scenes.

Heck get him to whip gohan back into shape by showing how much weaker he is now.

cell due to his need to show how perfect he is would probably wish for a 12 universe tournament with himself being stronger than the zenos with it being 120 warriors vs him to show how perfect he is. Naturally beaten by Gohan in the end as a way of establishing Gohan again.

hardcorefakes
Beyond Newbie

Post by hardcorefakes » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:12 pm

What kind of major news though? News about new characters, when the arc will be ending, etc?

GodKaio-Ken
I Live Here

Post by GodKaio-Ken » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:19 pm

The_Destroyer wrote:
GodKaio-Ken wrote:
TekTheNinja wrote: Thing is, he was never treated as a joke in-universe until Super. He used to be a trusted friend and fighter, but here no one even thought to invite him despite his clear desire to go. Goku even thought of bringing Frieza of all people before thinking of his long-time friend.
Can't wait until Frieza betrays everyone so this can stopped being used
If he betrays them but U7 wins it's still the right decision. Before Yamcha you'd have to chooe Goten or Trunks first honestly.
Currently watching: My Hero Academia

Last watched: Akame Ga Kill, Hokuto No Ken, Hokuto No Ken 2, Hunter X Hunter

Quote if I were to Hakai someone: "Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru. Hakai!"

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:33 pm

hardcorefakes wrote:

What kind of major news though? News about new characters, when the arc will be ending, etc?
All we know is that the producer said we'd be getting an announcement before the end of the year, Jump Festa is the last big place they could make an announcement.
The common thought is that it will be a movie announcement.

shadowmaria
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by shadowmaria » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:23 pm

At some stage before Monday, yes

Araki
Advanced Regular

Post by Araki » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:26 pm

Just a couple of friendly reminders regarding Jump Festa:

- it doesn't start until Saturday morning in Japan, so don't expect anything for the next 20 hours or so.

- there was no Dragon Ball stage or special presentation officially announced at all, unlike other franchises, so there's nothing certain.

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:29 pm

Olympian wrote:
Totamo wrote:Bro, come on. Yamcha's death pose is still used as parody in both western and eastern media..
So is Vegeta crying and the over 9000 line. So is Kuririn dying.
Totamo wrote:There is a reason they picked Yamcha and not Tien or Piccolo, is because Yamcha is seen as a joke. Even the moments that weren't to be funny have now become funny because how bad this character gets it.
None of us were at the meeting where this was greenlight but the author drapped a story that didn`t present Yamcha as a joke. He wasn`t presented as a joke in story anymore than the others were (they all have gag-elements), until 2008, under Toryama`s direction. The joke comes from the fanbase, so using a Dragon Ball nerd to be reborn as Yamcha is a narrative tool to extrapolate it.

If I had to guess any reasons, I`d say you`re mentioning two characters that while popular are the most stoic of the whole cast. Tenshinhan in particular is too damn serious at a fault, he hardly shows emotions. Yamcha is a popular and more relatable character and got the fan perception you can use to shape a story to his benefit.
Then why didn't he pick a character that is respected by the fanbase?

Totamo

Post by Totamo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:31 pm

mahakaishin1991 wrote:the more i watch this arc the more i feel freeza was so underused Cell would have been a better call. His hyper competitive nature would make him go out looking for fighters rather than skulk offscreen. Hed probably b-line for universe 3 to show himself best android. Plus his antagonistic relationship with 17 and 18 would mean a lot of interesting scenes.

Heck get him to whip gohan back into shape by showing how much weaker he is now.

cell due to his need to show how perfect he is would probably wish for a 12 universe tournament with himself being stronger than the zenos with it being 120 warriors vs him to show how perfect he is. Naturally beaten by Gohan in the end as a way of establishing Gohan again.
This fits Freeza's character however, he isn't one to get his hands dirty unless he wants to mess with someone.

And Cell is nowhere near as popular in japan and is too damn hard to animate.

precita
Banned

Post by precita » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:35 pm

Is it just me or does it feel like it's taking forever for the next ep to air even though it always airs once a week?

Pkjoan

Post by Pkjoan » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:20 pm

Episode 121 Image

[spoiler]Image

18 is out[/spoiler]