"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Lapislettuce
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Lapislettuce » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:38 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
pacz360 wrote: U don't know what the fuck your talking about do you
How exactly 17 a ratings killer or he's pushed down the fans throat considering he's been absent since 103 and didn't do anything battle wise till his duel with u2 again
With the exception of episode 101 all of his episodes did below the 5.0 mark He looks like a momentum killer, he has only got over in the West. There was also this.

Never forget that day when DBS jobbed to Pokemon btw.

Oh and I dont hate 17 btw, its that he is still kinda boring.
Goku vs Jiren literally made worst ratings so did the Gohan and Piccolo episodes. what the hell are you trying to prove ? this list is irrelevant considering only 100 people shared an opinion which irrelevant to what 90% of other people think. also "boring" is the last word that describes 17. he's been one of the most entertaining characters so far in this arc.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:39 pm

I do wonder if Goku and Freeza could fuse together? It sounds crazy, but I think they could pull it off in order to win.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

ToshioWrites
Temporarily Banned

Post by ToshioWrites » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:41 pm

I had this thought, If the elder Kai had unlocked Goku power pre -tournament , would Goku have gotten UI via that? Whis says Goku broke past his shell to achieve UI and Elder Kai brings ones power past his limitations .

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:41 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
HeroR wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:
Yeah; my thoughts exactly. Enough with the retellings.
Why do people think this is a thing?

Super retelling the movies was Toriyama’s idea and they did it so the audience didn’t have to watch the movies. Unlike here, DVD sells are not huge in Japan.

And retellings of past story arcs are not that popular. Toei tried this with movies 8 and 9 of One Piece and it was their weakest movies critical and money wise.
I don't care if it was Toriyama's idea. I don't want another retelling for a movie (or a movie turned into a retelling) when we should get new content.
Did you even read my entire second paragraph?
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:45 pm

Lapislettuce wrote: Goku vs Jiren literally made worst ratings so did the Gohan and Piccolo episodes. what the hell are you trying to prove ? this list is irrelevant considering only 100 people shared an opinion which irrelevant to what 90% of other people think. also "boring" is the last word that describes 17. he's been one of the most entertaining characters so far in this arc.

Kamen Rider,Sentai move only affected the TV Special and the episode after that, ratings returned back to normal by episode 112.

Besides, didnt help that 17, who was hyped being Blue level in the anime looks like fodder compared to Tired Goku unless Toei plans to nerf him like they did it with Kale and Brianne.

The japanese like Yamcha in 2017(despite being a meme character).

*14356 *514260 My Hero Academia 16
*11851 **11851 Akuma no Memumemu-chan 4
*11198 **11198 Hungry Marie 3
*11070 **11070 Hungry Marie 4
*10575 *291261 Dragon Ball Super 4
*10406 *276148 The Promised Neverland 6
*10267 *689224 Haikyu!! 28
**9023 *233744 Black Clover 13
**8709 *161795 Dragon Ball Yamcha 1

Yamcha manga has sold much more than the Jaco manga for example.

CJStriker_CBR
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:47 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:
Lapislettuce wrote: Except a lot of people like 17 and just because you don't or the person who made this "rant" doesn't. shouldn't mean that he needs to get out. majority are enjoying him in this arc so i doubt some crybaby ranting about him outlasting his favorite would change that honestly.
"As he is just an intruder stealing screen time from others when he doesn't deserve it."

You Know I should say I am just WOWed by that statement too Lapislettuce by that anonymous fan alone, but that seems to be the major excuse and complaint going about by this class of the fandom.

17 is not alone in getting that, many any new characters in the ToP have gotten it to at Ridiculous levels the same complaint, so 17 is in a similar group of getting this so called stealing screen time from others complaint and I have seen this talked around here as well.

But what does not even = too, who is 17 stealing from or any other character stealing screen-time from?! Characters in this need time to flesh themselves out otherwise they are forgotten. I get wanting to see your favorites have more screen-time but going as far is provoking to get this is to belittle and undercut other characters both New and Returning characters to get your character more time is a form of Foiling that is just selfish and wrong.

Characters get the time the writer gives them to flesh them out, if you want more of your character to shine in this, then maybe spend MORE TIME talking about the times they have had already on the screen and why those are important and good moments for them. It is not about how much time one has but the substance they have when they are on.

To the fan complaining, 17 is on the screen is evenly = IMO to how his character arc has been well fleshed out. To take away from him to promote your own is in reality taking more away from your favorite cause you ignore what moments they have by just asking for more for them, but if you are not willing to even highlight the moments they have already, what makes having more time any better if you are not willing to promote the time your favorite already has had.

One of the responsibilities a fan has most is to take whatever time their favorite has had and give reasons why those moments where good for their character and PR it to the Hill-Top the best they can. Even a min of screen-time can be more golden then many think, substances is the most important aspect of a character to remember.
100% thank you for your support. i know exactly the person who made that statement and they're just so pathetic. blaming x character because your favorite character didn't shine as much you wanted him to is hilarious. fortunetly many people are enjoying 17 in this arc and looking forward to see more of him. as i previously said in my old comment one crybaby isn't gonna change much. i also agree with you that this person should rather talk about their favorite instead of attacking other people's favorites.
Glad to be support Lapislettuce cause I know that feeling of having your favorite attacked for the very same reasons. I think fans that have been threw that can truly understand that and it shows why other fans that have been threw that would support fans like you to know they are not alone in this and while we each have our own personal favorites, we share a commonality in wanting to see the best for them and wanting to change the outlook of the hollow complaints against them.

While it can be one or more of the same fans saying the same-thing IMO it seems to be bandwagon effect going about the net espically in places like YouTube the ideal of wasting time. Fans whining all the time that any time given to Non-Main characters or worst characters they are not interested in complaining that time given to them = to nothing and they wasted screen-time is the showing of how hollow that opinion is.

Just cause one character is not your cup of tea does not = it being the same for all. You may get like upon like with that opinion but it hardly will ever come close to the whole of the fanbase. Each character of the show has their fanbases and the only = we all should have is know this and being realistic that those moments one may not like of a character, their Fanbase and also fans more open minded will get allot out of it.

Ego and Selfishness in saying no one cares about character X as though that is a Universal opinion is the height of arrogance to undercuts the true reality of fandom and the respect we must have towards the real reality of ever character has fans and each moment means tons to that fanbase.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:52 pm

perucho1990 wrote:
How exactly 17 a ratings killer or he's pushed down the fans throat considering he's been absent since 103 and didn't do anything battle wise till his duel with u2 again
With the exception of episode 101 all of his episodes did below the 5.0 mark He looks like a momentum killer, he has only got over in the West. There was also this.

>Using some small poll which doesnt even mean shit consider not many people voted to your prove your point
Just stop you dont know wtf your talking about just stop

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:54 pm

pacz360 wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:

>Using some small poll which doesnt even mean shit consider not many people voted to your prove your point
And still using ‘job’ wrong. At this point, this is on purpose.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:55 pm

Lapislettuce wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:One of the reasons for the 17 hate is that he is a ratings killer, every time he gets screen time the ratings take a dip, see the episodes after episode 116 for example, feels like he is pushed down the fans throats, WWE mentality in Toei.
U don't know what the fuck your talking about do you
Not to mention ep 117 was more of an 18 centered episode. 17 hasn't had a proper episode yet that lived up to the hype he got. bringing the ratings is so random considering i know other characters who had episode dedciated to them that did worse than any episode 17 was featured in.
Pretty much trying to act like 17 has anything to do with low ratings or momentum killer is baseless and ignorant

pacz360
I Live Here

Post by pacz360 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:56 pm

HeroR wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:

And still using ‘job’ wrong. At this point, this is on purpose.
Just getting a reaction at this point

CJStriker_CBR

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:01 pm

Xeogran wrote:
CJStriker_CBR wrote:It is not about how much time one has but the substance they have when they are on.
Thank You! This is now one of my favorite statements on here.

Being a fan of Shantza from U4, I can definitely relate to that. His screentime was no longer than a minute, but I enjoyed his character in there alongside his interactions with Quitela.

Your positive attitude is really great, CJStriker :thumbup:
I am Honored that my statement of mine meant so much to you, Thanks to you Xeogran! :thumbup:

I get where you are coming from with Shantza, what ablity he showed in 119 was of a substance I have not see in awhile. The levels of pure haunting, Terror and Guilt Trip this could send to any opponent like I have seen in other mediums is pure gold and made Shantza a very interesting and IMO powerfully skilled character greatly underused by Toei. But what Shantza showed in those moments can fill paragraphs on just what the power means and I went into allittle of that already just earlier in my statement as a starter. :wink:

Again, each moment can have hills of substance to it, it is Your Responityby as a Fan to show others why those moments where of such importance cause it helps the character shine.
--- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
My #1 in DB!
:thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:18 pm

HeroR wrote: Did you even read my entire second paragraph?
I did. Doesn't change what I said.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:21 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:
HeroR wrote: Did you even read my entire second paragraph?
I did. Doesn't change what I said.
It does since I specifically talk about why retelling story arcs into movies is really unlikely. Toei did that with One Piece and it wasn’t successful. So why would they do it with Super? Especially when the new hotness is to get the original author to write movies.
Kanassa wrote:

supercat

Post by supercat » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:30 pm

Are people seriously complaining about 17?

I wasn't a big fan of his return initially, but candidly speaking, his presence is only second to Vegeta's awesome collaboration with Roshi; possibly even on par with all of Frieza's short, yet charismatic moments.

I can't imagine who else could take 17's role... Boring Buu? Yeah, stunning performance expected there. Gets beat around, tries using some cheap cheesy tricks only to get ringed out eventually. Real cool.

And who exactly is 17 taking spotlight from? Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta all had pretty decent showings; and I presume Frieza will have a nice showdown as well. How exactly would it have been better if someone like Tien stayed in longer other than for comic relief purposes?

Seriously, 17, Frieza, and Vegeta (particularly with Roshi) were by far the key players in my opinion.

If anything, Gohan should go. The guy's so annoying at this point, I'm not sure why he's still even involved. The way he's shown feels so forced and unnatural. And quite frankly, I'd rather see him working with Piccolo moreso than anyone else. I was actually hoping the two of them would go down together.

Lapislettuce
Banned

Post by Lapislettuce » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:33 pm

supercat wrote:Are people seriously complaining about 17?

I wasn't a big fan of his return initially, but candidly speaking, his presence is only second to Vegeta's awesome collaboration with Roshi; possibly even on par with all of Frieza's short, yet charismatic moments.

I can't imagine who else could take 17's role... Boring Buu? Yeah, stunning performance expected there. Gets beat around, tries using some cheap cheesy tricks only to get ringed out eventually. Real cool.

And who exactly is 17 taking spotlight from? Goku, Gohan, and Vegeta all had pretty decent showings; and I presume Frieza will have a nice showdown as well. How exactly would it have been better if someone like Tien stayed in longer other than for comic relief purposes?

Seriously, 17, Frieza, and Vegeta (particularly with Roshi) were by far the key players in my opinion.

If anything, Gohan should go. The guy's so annoying at this point, I'm not sure why he's still even involved. The way he's shown feels so forced and unnatural. And quite frankly, I'd rather see him working with Piccolo moreso than anyone else. I was actually hoping the two of them would go down together.
People aren't complaining. only one person is and people are making a big deal out of it. your opinion about 17 being one of the most entertaining characters in the arc is actually a popular one. i see a lot of people saying it.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:34 pm

Lapislettuce wrote: Goku vs Jiren literally made worst ratings so did the Gohan and Piccolo episodes. what the hell are you trying to prove ? this list is irrelevant considering only 100 people shared an opinion which irrelevant to what 90% of other people think. also "boring" is the last word that describes 17. he's been one of the most entertaining characters so far in this arc.
That's how surveys work: you use a sample, however small you want it to be, and then look at the ratio. But it is a very small sample, so I'm reluctant to say it's representative. But as far as Freeza goes, it looks accurate. People were ecstatic because of him. Don't know why they stopped at 100 though...?

Anyway, shouldn't we start looking at DVR ratings instead? Those look phenomenal for everyone.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:34 pm

Totamo wrote:
Olympian wrote:
Totamo wrote:Bro, come on. Yamcha's death pose is still used as parody in both western and eastern media..
So is Vegeta crying and the over 9000 line. So is Kuririn dying.
Totamo wrote:There is a reason they picked Yamcha and not Tien or Piccolo, is because Yamcha is seen as a joke. Even the moments that weren't to be funny have now become funny because how bad this character gets it.
None of us were at the meeting where this was greenlight but the author drapped a story that didn`t present Yamcha as a joke. He wasn`t presented as a joke in story anymore than the others were (they all have gag-elements), until 2008, under Toryama`s direction. The joke comes from the fanbase, so using a Dragon Ball nerd to be reborn as Yamcha is a narrative tool to extrapolate it.

If I had to guess any reasons, I`d say you`re mentioning two characters that while popular are the most stoic of the whole cast. Tenshinhan in particular is too damn serious at a fault, he hardly shows emotions. Yamcha is a popular and more relatable character and got the fan perception you can use to shape a story to his benefit.
Then why didn't he pick a character that is respected by the fanbase?
The most respected characters are already on the frontlines in Super and they`ve been the most used in side/fan projects. Doing another Goku centric story is a dime a dozen. Making a Yamcha centric story to break Wall with the fanbase makes the better and less obvious narrative (as well as modern by adressing the meme factor head on) and as you saw, it gathered quite the marketing buzz exactly because it didn`t have the usual suspects in Saiyan/androids as the main characters.

Yamcha may not be among the most respected (fan perception) or powerful (actual fact) but he is surely among the most relatable characters of the whole cast who maintained popularity over the years despite the general fandom eye towards him. Tenshinhan is more respected (or was up until Super..) but most classify his character as dull in comparison.

Maybe the author is a Yamcha fan and was interested in threading unknown waters.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:38 pm

pacz360 wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:

This kind of logic is too limiting to my taste. A poll is a poll. They asked a segment of the fanbase and the highest scores went for Freeza and Yamcha, respectively.

It`s still data.
Last edited by Olympian on Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not

Supersaiyanbulla
Temporarily Banned

Post by Supersaiyanbulla » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Olympian wrote:
pacz360 wrote:
perucho1990 wrote:

This kind of logic is too limiting to my taste. A poll is a poll. They asked x number of people and half voted for Freeza and the other half for Yamcha, respectively.

It`s still data.
Yeah pretty much it also shows people prefer Frieza,Vegeta and Yamcha over goku in general.

Olympian
Regular

Post by Olympian » Fri Dec 15, 2017 3:43 pm

I think in general people just know Goku is in no danger of mistreatment from the author or studio or..anyone really. That said, I believe a segment (and that would support the data in that scan) is a bit tired or bored with him.
Ki Breaker wrote:

Yamcha + Roshi = Yamoshi

Coincidence? I think not