"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Doctor. » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:34 am

Bullza wrote:No I didn't mean the overall arc but as individual sagas so the whole Frieza arc was split into the Namek, Captain Ginyu and Frieza sagas.
That's an arbitrary split. You could also split the ToP into recruitment arc and tournament arc.

And a saga is longer than an arc.

YonedgeHP
Regular

Post by YonedgeHP » Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:41 am

HeroR wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote: No, the Freeza Saga and the Majin Boo one had at least 90 episodes.
Only Buu Saga had 90 episodes. The Freeza Saga around 70 episodes.
Bullza wrote:No I didn't mean the overall arc but as individual sagas so the whole Frieza arc was split into the Namek, Captain Ginyu and Frieza sagas.
That is how Funi split the saga. It's all just the Freeza Saga in Japan.
Not just Japan, but the rest of the world, and in the manga they are the same arcs.
Between you and the Namekian I think I've lost my touch at genocide. -PSN Xenoverse 2 account: Yonedge-HP. Freeza's race Ki blast avatar: Yonedge.
Filler and canon discussions are "meh" :oops:

English is not my first language!

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:06 am

HeroR wrote:
YonedgeHP wrote: No, the Freeza Saga and the Majin Boo one had at least 90 episodes.
Only Buu Saga had 90 episodes. The Freeza Saga around 70 episodes.
That is how Funi split the saga. It's all just the Freeza Saga in Japan.
They'll probably split this one too, recruitment - ToP - ToP climax.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:20 pm

Bullza wrote:So this is actually the longest saga in Dragon Ball now right? As far as so hilarious sagas go, it's gonna end up being over 50 episodes surely.
In terms of episodes? No.
In terms of things happening? I think...
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:36 pm

Kanassa wrote:
Bullza wrote:So this is actually the longest saga in Dragon Ball now right? As far as so hilarious sagas go, it's gonna end up being over 50 episodes surely.
Honestly, not much have happened unless you mean how many fights in a single story arc.
Kanassa wrote:
precita wrote:Goku will still be around but take a Buu saga approach backseat.
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:46 pm

HeroR wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
Honestly, not much have happened unless you mean how many fights in a single story arc.
Well, with how the fights are executed, yeah. Don't know how to describe it... There's a lot of shifting?
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:53 pm

Kanassa wrote:
In terms of Episodes based on the Funimation sagas it's the longest of them all.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:03 pm

Kanassa wrote: Well, with how the fights are executed, yeah. Don't know how to describe it... There's a lot of shifting?
Well, in terms of high quality, fast fights, this arc has no equal. The problem, the story holding the fights together is kinda paper thin. I mean, this is probably the most plot driven tournament arc in Dragon Ball outside the 23rd tournament, but the story is shallow when compared to the last arc.
Kanassa wrote:
Goku barely took a backseat in the Buu saga, at best he took a leisurely stroll round back while everyone else cried for him to come back.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:11 pm

HeroR wrote:
Kanassa wrote: Well, with how the fights are executed, yeah. Don't know how to describe it... There's a lot of shifting?
Well, in terms of high quality, fast fights, this arc has no equal. The problem, the story holding the fights together is kinda paper thin. I mean, this is probably the most plot driven tournament arc in Dragon Ball outside the 23rd tournament, but the story is shallow when compared to the last arc.

Wonder if it was too much for them, to have both a strong plot and lots of fighting. Guess that's why everyone's hoping for a hidden agenda from Freeza, just so something more narrative heavy can happen.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:44 pm

Michsi wrote:

Wonder if it was too much for them, to have both a strong plot and lots of fighting. Guess that's why everyone's hoping for a hidden agenda from Freeza, just so something more narrative heavy can happen.
It isn't about it being too much for them, it's just isn't the main focused of the tournament. No tournament in Dragon Ball has a strong plot. Heck, even the Yu Yu Hakusho's Dark Tournament had a paper thin main plot held together with a bunch a smaller plots and character interaction and it was awesome. Freaking Fairy Tail was the closest a tournament arc came with a plot that wasn't 'beat this super strong guy at the end'. That and One Piece, but the tournament was a side-story that went on too long.
Kanassa wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:57 pm

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:

It isn't about it being too much for them, it's just isn't the main focused of the tournament. No tournament in Dragon Ball has a strong plot. Heck, even the Yu Yu Hakusho's Dark Tournament had a paper thin main plot held together with a bunch a smaller plots and character interaction and it was awesome. Freaking Fairy Tail was the closest a tournament arc came with a plot that wasn't 'beat this super strong guy at the end'. That and One Piece, but the tournament was a side-story that went on too long.
Were any of them this long though? I think the length and scale is what is a bit too much.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:09 pm

Michsi wrote:
Were any of them this long though? I think the length and scale is what is a bit too much.
The Dark Tournament of Yu Yu Hakusho was 40 episodes and the longest story arc of that series. The Fairy Tail Grand Magic Games is also 52 episodes and 82 chapters in the manga.
Kanassa wrote:

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:29 pm

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote:
The Dark Tournament of Yu Yu Hakusho was 40 episodes and the longest story arc of that series. The Fairy Tail Grand Magic Games is also 52 episodes and 82 chapters in the manga.
Kinda curious how those arcs were received? I used to think people hated tournament arcs because they were kinda boring most of the time, but pretty much every shounen show tries to have one.

HeroR
Kicks it Old-School

Post by HeroR » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:47 pm

Michsi wrote: Kinda curious how those arcs were received? I used to think people hated tournament arcs because they were kinda boring most of the time, but pretty much every shounen show tries to have one.
The Dark Tournament is considered the best tournament arc in Shounen, period, and the best story arc of that franchise. The tournament arcs of Dragon Ball were also considered the highlight, especially after the first story arc of Dragon Ball bombed. The tournaments in Dragon Ball were also inspired by to tournaments that were in Dr. Slump, which were also very popular.

Why else do you think Dragon Ball had four tournaments if they weren't that popular or people saw them as boring? Every Shounen has a tournament arc because they're popular.
Kanassa wrote:

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:17 pm

I'm going to bet that Jiren will probably beat Aniraza. He will show up on the last minute to defeat him.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:39 pm

HeroR wrote:
Michsi wrote: Kinda curious how those arcs were received? I used to think people hated tournament arcs because they were kinda boring most of the time, but pretty much every shounen show tries to have one.
The Dark Tournament is considered the best tournament arc in Shounen, period, and the best story arc of that franchise. The tournament arcs of Dragon Ball were also considered the highlight, especially after the first story arc of Dragon Ball bombed. The tournaments in Dragon Ball were also inspired by to tournaments that were in Dr. Slump, which were also very popular.

Why else do you think Dragon Ball had four tournaments if they weren't that popular or people saw them as boring? Every Shounen has a tournament arc because they're popular.
I've seen so much dislike towards these types of arcs for so long in western fandoms that I was wondering if there was some discrepancy between this side of the fandom and the Japanese one.

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:53 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I'm going to bet that Jiren will probably beat Aniraza. He will show up on the last minute to defeat him.
This would be a pleasant surprise. It makes sense in Jiren's POV, especially if the U7 team doesn't seem able to beat him (which means he takes out the most dangerous foe at the moment to focus on weaker ones), and it also makes a good 'out of the frying pan and into the fire' kind of situation for our guys.

perucho1990
I Live Here

Post by perucho1990 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:31 pm

If episode 121 is the one with Vegetas cool moment(Its a Toshio episode) then I could see Vegeta defeating Aniraza, to gain momentum before the fight vs Jiren.

emi_b7
Beyond Newbie

Post by emi_b7 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:32 pm

Bullza wrote:
Kanassa wrote:
In terms of Episodes based on the Funimation sagas it's the longest of them all.
I mean, Funimation calls a random group of 7 episodes a saga. Their divisions are pretty arbitrary. If they got to pick what a saga is during this arc, we'd get "Exhibition tournament saga", "Recruitment saga", "1st half of the ToP saga" and "2nd half of the ToP saga" or something like that.
This arc will probably be longer than the RR army arc, which would put it as the 4th longest arc in the franchise, and longer than any DB or GT arc (also longer than every Kai arc except Buu). Looking back, I don't think it has felt that long to me.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:43 pm

Does anyone really want vegeta to face jiren? I mean, its obvious who the winner would be. I really dont want vegeta to be eliminated by jiren. I want him to fight toppo in an extremely hard battle, that vegeta barely wins.