"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Big Black Sayian
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Big Black Sayian » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:19 pm

dbs fanboy wrote:
Ugh, Vegeta's new form is still too shiny, lol.
Vegeta looks so moe

Professor Freeza
Temporarily Banned

Post by Professor Freeza » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:29 pm

Whats the point anymore?

I'm too upset to even get hyped for the ending

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:40 pm

They could literally end Dragon Ball in 8 episodes if they wanted to:

- Episode 124: Gohan and Dyspo out
- Episode 125: Android 17 out
- Episode 126: Toppo and Vegeta out
- Episode 127: Goku masters UI, keeps fighting Jiren
- Episode 128: Goku beats Jiren, gets ringed out by Freeza who gets the wish
- Episode 129: Freeza wishes for everyone there except for him and Goku to die. Decides to leave Goku to get his revenge
- Episode 130: Goku manages to beat Freeza
- Episode 131: Goku revives his friends. The only Gods revived are Whis and Beerus. The show ends with Goku beginning his rematch with Beerus
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:51 pm

I'm also in the melancholy hard to get too excited now that it's known this is it. I'll follow to the end, but March 25th is gonna be it for a long time unless this movie's news update that same day has something for me in it.

I don't care for how shiny Vegeta's ssjbluer looks. Way too Yamamuro with all those highlights. It does not look moé to me though. I realize it's subjective, but it doesn't hit that target for me. Ssjg Goku does, but this new form for Vegeta does not.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:08 pm

emperior wrote:They could literally end Dragon Ball in 8 episodes if they wanted to:

- Episode 129: Freeza wishes for everyone there except for him and Goku to die. Decides to leave Goku to get his revenge
- Episode 131: Goku revives his friends. The only Gods revived are Whis and Beerus. The show ends with Goku beginning his rematch with Beerus
If nothing becomes of Frieza than this entire year long arc was kind of a waste from a storytelling perspective.

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:12 pm

emperior wrote:They could literally end Dragon Ball in 8 episodes if they wanted to:

You damn well know that it aint going to end like that.
And freeza isnt going to get any key moments.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:15 pm

Compared to original run up to eoz where it felt they actually tackled the biggest and baddest reality had to offer, there's still so many unused elements still present in the current expansion, it's bizzare super's ending so suddenly, especially because it's not confirmed to be a hiatus, having it all end like this would be... such a waste..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:26 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:Compared to original run up to eoz where it felt they actually tackled the biggest and baddest reality had to offer, there's still so many unused elements still present in the current expansion, it's bizzare super's ending so suddenly, especially because it's not confirmed to be a hiatus, having it all end like this would be... such a waste..
Arent they literally tackling the biggest reality in the tournament of power, one being the destruction of the universe, and the other a being who is stronger than gokus and vegetas benchmark?

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:33 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:Compared to original run up to eoz where it felt they actually tackled the biggest and baddest reality had to offer, there's still so many unused elements still present in the current expansion, it's bizzare super's ending so suddenly, especially because it's not confirmed to be a hiatus, having it all end like this would be... such a waste..
Arent they literally tackling the biggest reality in the tournament of power, one being the destruction of the universe, and the other a being who is stronger than gokus and vegetas benchmark?
There's the angel realm of power, freeza revival and possibly backstabbing, potential demon realm exploration, fighters of the remaining Universes, planet sadala visit, the rematch between Goku and Berrus after his level is reached, there's the plot point of Goku Vegeta both training to be god of destructions and how they would turn that down after receiving the training and the possible revival of age old destroyed Universes...

And these are just at the top of my head, the sheer potential getting wasted here is kinda unbelievable..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

IndieBooToo
Temporarily Banned

Post by IndieBooToo » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:40 pm

Kenneth La Torre wrote:

You don't know that.

Kenneth La Torre

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:44 pm

IndieBooToo wrote:
Kenneth La Torre wrote:

You don't know that.
I dint haveto know, theres only 8 epsiodes, and its ginna take all 8 (or 7) to properly conclude the ToP. And this is dragon ball... that aint gonna happen in an ending.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:58 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:potential demon realm exploration
Demon Realm means jacksquat in the canon DBverse. Appearently Dabura was the strongest being from there.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:00 pm

Xeogran wrote:
Ki Breaker wrote:potential demon realm exploration
Demon Realm means jacksquat in the canon DBverse. Appearently Dabura was the strongest being from there.
Well yeah, namek Freeza was also the strongest mortal in Universe 7..
The key word here is "was", stuff can change mate

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:04 pm

Which is why it's 100% guaranteed Toriyama will finish this story. What's yet to be seen is if Dragon Ball will continue with movies (they registered domains for a 2019 and 2020 movie) or if they will create yet another show in 2019.
A reason why Toriyama may want it to continue with movies may be him not liking Super's quality, while he was fine with the movies.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:06 pm

While I'm also sad to admit it, I doubt that Frieza is going to have this big payoff I was hoping for. There's no way a kids show will end with the villain wishing for ultimate power and everything ending like that.

No way.

So, best case scenario (for Frieza) is what another poster suggested a while back: Frieza and Goku duke it out with Jiren, Frieza gets kicked out, Goku wins, brings Frieza back, Frieza decides to just ... leave and fly away (ala Piccolo in original DB), maybe promising a final duel with Goku or something in the future (realizing he currently has no chance of winning an Ultra Goku).

Worst case scenario, Frieza does something stupid which makes Goku break his promise and not bring him back, or gets erased by Zeno for doing something which breaks the rules (ala Frost).

But I can safely kiss Frieza's epic WTF comeback goodbye. Pity, because the build-up was pretty sublime.

EDIT: One amazing scene I can think of is Goku wishing Frieza back (after Frieza saving him a couple of times from a Jiren-induced ring-out). The halo disappears.

Goku: (serious face) ...
Frieza: (serious face) ...
Goku: So what's going to happen now?
Frieza: ... Until we meet again, monkey. (turns around and flies away)
Goku: (watches Frieza flying away, and after a few seconds, uses IT. Appears in front of Frieza, causing him to stop in his tracks)
Frieza: ... what is it?
Goku: (serious face) ... (stands still, after a few seconds, offers his hand to Frieza for a handshake, basically asking him to end this long-time feud of theirs)
Frieza: ! (is genuinely surprised)
(both warriors are floating, there is no movement)
(a close up of Frieza's hand, his fingers are slightly twitching, as if about to move)
(Frieza regains his composure, smirks and closes his eyes) Always the fool. I guess that's what makes you Son Goku. (flies past him)
Goku: (lowers his head, closes his eyes and smiles) ... was worth a shot. (uses IT and disappears, scene ends)
Last edited by Nickolaidas on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The_Destroyer
Regular

Post by The_Destroyer » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:12 pm

If nothing comes out of having Frieza on the team, then we should have just had Yamcha or Buu be the tenth member. Hopefully he does something other than redemption.

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:18 pm

Nickolaidas wrote: EDIT: One amazing scene I can think of is Goku wishing Frieza back (after Frieza saving him a couple of times from a Jiren-induced ring-out). The halo disappears.

Goku: (watches Frieza flying away, and after a few seconds, uses IT. Appears in front of Frieza, causing him to stop in his tracks)
Goku: (serious face) ... (stands still, after a few seconds, offers his hand to Frieza for a handshake, basically asking him to end this long-time feud of theirs)
(a close up of Frieza's hand, his fingers are slightly twitching, as if about to move)
(Frieza regains his composure, smirks and closes his eyes) Always the fool. I guess that's what makes you Son Goku. (flies past him)
Goku: (lowers his head, closes his eyes and smiles) ... was worth a shot. (uses IT and disappears, scene ends)
Between all the hand slipping, tough love and stuff like this, there seems to be a serious ship under construction..

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:21 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:
Nickolaidas wrote: EDIT: One amazing scene I can think of is Goku wishing Frieza back (after Frieza saving him a couple of times from a Jiren-induced ring-out). The halo disappears.

Between all the hand slipping, tough love and stuff like this, there seems to be a serious ship under construction..
I love stuff like that. Even Batman and the Joker had a similar moment in the Killing Joke. And seriously, when two people have had such a hate-boner since forever, the good guy owes it to both of them to suggest a truce, even if it's doomed to failure.

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:23 pm

Frieza coming back at all probably was the big WTF moment. Who ever expected that Goku would bring Frieza back to life or need his help with anything? Besides, Frieza can't really backstab Goku if he wants to come back to life.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:51 pm

If there is one thing that I'd file under major bummer when it comes to DBS ending in 8 episodes is Freeza's role will most likely not amount to anything. I was really hoping it would result in him either planning something that would result in more mayhem and once again consolidate his status as the franchise's most prevalent antagonist or be forced to coexist in an uneasy alliance with the main cast after the TOP ends. I don't want a scrambled redemption that can be wrapped up in one or two episodes, out of all unbelievable turn of events, this would be the most ludicrous. At most, I'd settle for reluctant respect for Goku, but that's about it.