"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:20 pm

This thread is for the discussion of official Dragon Ball Super announcements.

Discussion of and critiques of fan-created works are best served by the respective sub-section of the forum, and should follow all community guidelines in the process, many of which are not being followed here. Account strikes may/will be issued where appropriate.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:07 pm

Cetra wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote: I think Herms already explained that, but what exactly does "Omen" mean?
If you mean the word itself, it is a sign of a future event. Normally with a negative connotation, thus very often a certain sign is called a "bad omen" if it is a messenger of something bad that is about to happen in the future.
Though English TLs have seemed to just called it sign:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Though the comment about something bad happening to Goku matches well with "Omen". Perhaps total instinct takes over and Goku kills Jiren?

BlueBasilisk
I Live Here

Post by BlueBasilisk » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Cetra wrote:
TheSaiyanGod wrote: I think Herms already explained that, but what exactly does "Omen" mean?
If you mean the word itself, it is a sign of a future event. Normally with a negative connotation, thus very often a certain sign is called a "bad omen" if it is a messenger of something bad that is about to happen in the future.
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

Though the comment about something bad happening to Goku matches well with "Omen". Perhaps total instinct takes over and Goku kills Jiren?
Maybe it means something bad happens that triggers him into that form? I mean that thing last episode was pretty terrible but it doesn't seem like that it...

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:49 pm

I am more inclined towards UI itself being the problem here, if your body is fighting to survive on it's own, "rules" don't apply to it, in UI state Goku should not be able to make a distinction if he is killing Jiren or not, that could be why he wasn't happy for some time until he faught uub, he was basically a prisoner of his own body and power, UI was a double edged sword he couldn't use but seeing how uub maintains majin buu's skill of learning abilities on the fly, Goku might be thinking about using UI again against an actual UI user this time, which will be uub..

I mean, there has to be a reason UI was made as a skill and not a powerup, and it's surely not to give human characters something to aim for, it was for uub, all of this is for uub, that's why he was touched upon in both the media during the survival arc start..
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Kenneth La Torre
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Kenneth La Torre » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:26 pm

Ki Breaker wrote:I am more inclined towards UI itself being the problem here, if your body is fighting to survive on it's own, "rules" don't apply to it, in UI state Goku should not be able to make a distinction if he is killing Jiren or not, that could be why he wasn't happy for some time until he faught uub, he was basically a prisoner of his own body and power, UI was a double edged sword he couldn't use but seeing how uub maintains majin buu's skill of learning abilities on the fly, Goku might be thinking about using UI again against an actual UI user this time, which will be uub..

I mean, there has to be a reason UI was made as a skill and not a powerup, and it's surely not to give human characters something to aim for, it was for uub, all of this is for uub, that's why he was touched upon in both the media during the survival arc start..
It’s just that something is going to happen that triggers UI. I doubt that even if he goes for the killing Instinct, he is going to accomplish it, especially against who he is fighting.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:35 pm

Uub's so boring imo; I'd like to hope this isn't all for him.

I like it better as a way to allow other neglected Z fighters to have continued prominence past the ToP.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:36 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:
Cetra wrote:
[spoiler]Image
Image[/spoiler]

The "Terrible thing" already happened, it was Goku's presumed death in 110.
Chuquita wrote:Uub's so boring imo; I'd like to hope this isn't all for him.

I like it better as a way to allow other neglected Z fighters to have continued prominence past the ToP.
I think it's weird that people say Uub is boring, ignoring GT we see so little of him that you can't really form much of an opinion on him. I say wait until they decide to do stuff with him and give him time for his personality and motives to develop before deciding he's boring.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:54 pm

Would they be willing to rewrite him though? In theory the idea of "was formerly Majin Buu, may discover that and struggle with the concept" has potential, as does the drama in this idea of poor kid in a poor village gets thrust into training with manic pixel dream girl man.

I like the circumstances around Uub; they're really good, but his personality reminds me of young Gohan at his blandest. I like Buu arc Gohan, he's fun, but kid Gohan never really clicked with me.
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:39 pm

Now I'm not one who's into the whole power level discussion but it's gonna be pretty weird if a tired base Vegeta doesn't get knocked out right away by Jiren. I mean I know only a minute passes per episode but even then I feel like Vegeta shouldn't be able to last that long against Jiren who's now powered up. Oh well is what it is wont know until it airs but hopefully it turns out good. Also just wondering but is the show on break this week or are we getting an episode this week?

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:03 pm

CriticalThinker wrote:Now I'm not one who's into the whole power level discussion but it's gonna be pretty weird if a tired base Vegeta doesn't get knocked out right away by Jiren. I mean I know only a minute passes per episode but even then I feel like Vegeta shouldn't be able to last that long against Jiren who's now powered up. Oh well is what it is wont know until it airs but hopefully it turns out good. Also just wondering but is the show on break this week or are we getting an episode this week?
The show does air this weekend. The remaining schedule is:

2/18 - 128
2/25 - No episode because of the Tokyo Marathon
3/4 - 129
3/11 - No episode because of the Nagoya Women's Marathon
3/18 - 130
3/25 - 131 - Final episode
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:48 pm

Chuquita wrote:
CriticalThinker wrote:Now I'm not one who's into the whole power level discussion but it's gonna be pretty weird if a tired base Vegeta doesn't get knocked out right away by Jiren. I mean I know only a minute passes per episode but even then I feel like Vegeta shouldn't be able to last that long against Jiren who's now powered up. Oh well is what it is wont know until it airs but hopefully it turns out good. Also just wondering but is the show on break this week or are we getting an episode this week?
The show does air this weekend. The remaining schedule is:

2/18 - 128
2/25 - No episode because of the Tokyo Marathon
3/4 - 129
3/11 - No episode because of the Nagoya Women's Marathon
3/18 - 130
3/25 - 131 - Final episode
Thanks, saw some people mention a break and wasn't sure if it was this week or not. Also wow didn't realize there were so few episodes left.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:50 pm

Jiren knows he can finish off everyone whenever sees fit. Him lasting that long in base has absolutely nothing to do with power scaling. Jiren simply allows it. Maybe he decides to let Vegeta go out giving it his all knowing there’s no chance of him winning. Who knows.

CriticalThinker
Beyond Newbie

Post by CriticalThinker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:03 am

TheOtherDude wrote:
Jiren knows he can finish off everyone whenever sees fit. Him lasting that long in base has absolutely nothing to do with power scaling. Jiren simply allows it. Maybe he decides to let Vegeta go out giving it his all knowing there’s no chance of him winning. Who knows.
I mean I understand that it isn't really a powers scale and more of a writing thing, probably shouldn't have said that then. If things were more logical Jiren could have knocked everyone off right off the bat, but that would be pretty short arc if that had happened. I just feel that since Jiren seems to be putting in more effort now that Vegeta shouldn't even last a minute against him. But then again Jiren does have a bad track record of knocking out saiyans so maybe that's why.

TheOtherDude
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOtherDude » Thu Feb 15, 2018 12:23 am

CriticalThinker wrote:
TheOtherDude wrote:
I mean I understand that it isn't really a powers scale and more of a writing thing, probably shouldn't have said that then. If things were more logical Jiren could have knocked everyone off right off the bat, but that would be pretty short arc if that had happened. I just feel that since Jiren seems to be putting in more effort now that Vegeta shouldn't even last a minute against him. But then again Jiren does have a bad track record of knocking out saiyans so maybe that's why.
Yeah I know what you mean. This arc could’ve been over very quickly if we applied real logic to this thing. Jiren did say that Saiyan are interesting, so maybe that’s why he’s letting them stay around for so long. I personally wouldn’t recommend playing with my food as long as Jiren has. I’m just hoping they don’t try to make a fool out of Jiren by making him forget about Frieza or something.

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:01 am

prince212 wrote:
Basaku wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:If they do link it with EoZ, and I think they will, then that could be me done with whatever follows.

The Bulma 5 year quote isn't worth not continuing over - just have Goku not have any scenes with her or something from now on if needs be.

An entirely new cast for the movie, or new generation takeover isn't needed.
Goku is the reason I watch, he needs to be front and centre - he is the franchise as far as I'm concerned.
I can understand the latter part but Super NOT ending at EOZ (or close to it) has always been a minor possibility, I mean, regardless if it's not what you want you had to know it's most likely what Toei/Toriyama/Toyatoro would do
I’m aware EOZ is most likely the end of super option , but I rather not connect both histories , after all the new warriors in super , IMO, ubb training excitement doesn’t have sense , at this point of super Goku has lots of motivations to keep growing as a warrior and doesn’t need that kiddo to fight with . Basically .. eoz and super are different timelines :shh:
I'm of the opinion that Super ending at EoZ is actually highly unlikely at this point. The fighting is going to last until AT LEAST 129, and almost definitely until 130, meaning we're probably looking at ONE freaking episode of a wrap up. It seems way too far fetched for them to wrap up the tournament, do the wish, go through any character interactions, provide character closure, finish up the arc, AND connect it to the EoZ all within 22 minutes...So my money is on them not even bothering.

Regardless, the end of this show is gonna be a complete rush job mess.

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:06 am

Artorias wrote:
prince212 wrote:
Basaku wrote: I can understand the latter part but Super NOT ending at EOZ (or close to it) has always been a minor possibility, I mean, regardless if it's not what you want you had to know it's most likely what Toei/Toriyama/Toyatoro would do
I’m aware EOZ is most likely the end of super option , but I rather not connect both histories , after all the new warriors in super , IMO, ubb training excitement doesn’t have sense , at this point of super Goku has lots of motivations to keep growing as a warrior and doesn’t need that kiddo to fight with . Basically .. eoz and super are different timelines :shh:
I'm of the opinion that Super ending at EoZ is actually highly unlikely at this point. The fighting is going to last until AT LEAST 129, and almost definitely until 130, meaning we're probably looking at ONE freaking episode of a wrap up. It seems way too far fetched for them to wrap up the tournament, do the wish, go through any character interactions, provide character closure, finish up the arc, AND connect it to the EoZ all within 22 minutes...So my money is on them not even bothering.

I think it'll end like the previous tournament with everyone going home and the narrator saying something like "what new adventures await Goku ? stay tuned."
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:19 am

Artorias wrote:

I was just thinking a few minutes ago that maybe the tournament won't even end at 130. The narrator will probably say "one minute remaining" at the end of 129, but we'll get a "less than one minute remaining!" at 130. Fight would either end at the middle of 131 and wrap it up real quickly like the Trunks arc, or the fight ends at the end of 131 with a cliffhanger ending.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Thu Feb 15, 2018 2:52 am

Chuquita wrote:Uub's so boring imo; I'd like to hope this isn't all for him.

Uub was nothing special character wise, but what could Toriyama even do with him in two chapters? Potentially, Uub could really become an awesome character and the chance to see Goku train him is too good to pass up. I’m way too curious to see what kind of training Goku would put him through.
The way 17 has been written also makes me positive that Uub can end up being a very good character too.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Ki Breaker
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Ki Breaker » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:13 am

From what little uub was shown off, he managed to leave an impression, and a good one at that..
Uub can turn out to be a pretty great character as long as toie isn't the one writing him
The Lord moves in mysterious ways but you don't have to. Please use your blinker

Artorias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Artorias » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:22 am

sintzu wrote:
Artorias wrote:
prince212 wrote: I’m aware EOZ is most likely the end of super option , but I rather not connect both histories , after all the new warriors in super , IMO, ubb training excitement doesn’t have sense , at this point of super Goku has lots of motivations to keep growing as a warrior and doesn’t need that kiddo to fight with . Basically .. eoz and super are different timelines :shh:

I think it'll end like the previous tournament with everyone going home and the narrator saying something like "what new adventures await Goku ? stay tuned."
That's sorta what I was thinking as well. I honestly don't even think it'll feel like the end of the show. Because of how seemingly rushed this all is, I get the vibe that it'll feel more like the end of any other arc, almost like they're pretending the show isn't ending.
Sandubadear wrote:
Artorias wrote:

I was just thinking a few minutes ago that maybe the tournament won't even end at 130. The narrator will probably say "one minute remaining" at the end of 129, but we'll get a "less than one minute remaining!" at 130. Fight would either end at the middle of 131 and wrap it up real quickly like the Trunks arc, or the fight ends at the end of 131 with a cliffhanger ending.
I honestly don't think they have the balls to do a cliffhanger ending...After all, DB isn't even guaranteed to come back in TV format (although it's likely), so why risk having one of those awkward situations where you leave it off at a cliffhanger with no resolution? I've seen that countless times and it's always just annoying, I don't think they'll do that. Having the hometown hero Goku win to save the universe and everyone goes home happy to eat at Bulma's seems like the safest and most likely ending at this point.

Although you could be right about the fight going to 131. Like I said, either way the ending of this tournament is going to be an absolute shit show. They either have to rush the fight or rush the end of the show. Neither is ideal, pick your poison I guess.