"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: "Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:24 am

I feel like I've talked a lot about this, but having the anime follow the manga would be a terrible, stupid idea for a multitude of reasons and is almost assuredly not happening, especially with work on the anime starting before the manga even got to that new arc. It's needless. It would likely take reorganization of staff to some degree, the manga is generally less-liked than the anime, it wouldn't make any major impact on the amount of money it makes, it would limit the anime's storytelling potential incredibly, it would fuck the pacing up on a level way beyond the 1-chapter-per-episode Freeza fight, it would force them to bolster the anime with filler even more than they already did for Super 1.0, and it would still be unsustainable due to how much less content the manga produces.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:40 am

Shaddy wrote:I feel like I've talked a lot about this, but having the anime follow the manga would be a terrible, stupid idea for a multitude of reasons and is almost assuredly not happening, especially with work on the anime starting before the manga even got to that new arc. It's needless. It would likely take reorganization of staff to some degree, the manga is generally less-liked than the anime, it wouldn't make any major impact on the amount of money it makes, it would limit the anime's storytelling potential incredibly, it would fuck the pacing up on a level way beyond the 1-chapter-per-episode Freeza fight, it would force them to bolster the anime with filler even more than they already did for Super 1.0, and it would still be unsustainable due to how much less content the manga produces.
I was mostly just pointing to Toyotaro's statement as possible evidence for the series returning, nothing more.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:52 am

Sorry, bringing up the anime "catching up" to the manga set me off I guess.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:02 am

I suppose there is some desire, mostly from Shueisha I reckon, to have the manga stay ahead since that would help ignite interest in it an maybe help with sales. Not mention that this is how usually things are done, the anime follows after the manga. Personally, I'm all for letting both versions do their own thing with Toriyama's story points.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Fri Jan 11, 2019 5:18 am

Plenty of series start life as an anime and have the manga adaptation come later. Dragon Ball might be unique in having transitioned from the inverse to this, but it's a welcome change given the difficulties in being shackled to an ongoing source. Moreover I don't like the "that's how it usually happens" bit because it usually SUCKS, too. Naruto, One Piece and Dragon Ball's own adaptations were crippled by this in terms of pacing. Most modern shonen fix the issue by being seasonal, and that works great for Hero Academia and JoJo, but Dragon Ball is huge enough and light enough in terms of writing that it can afford to just kind of...keep going. I get what you're saying about the manga being the first and exclusive source for the new stories and such, but to do that would require to stagger the anime's pacing even if it interpreted events in it's own way, and I am so damn tired of Dragon Ball being slow. The number one reason I find Super the easiest and most accessible series is because it feels so much less boring because it's written to be a tv show first and foremost.

Michsi
I Live Here

Post by Michsi » Fri Jan 11, 2019 6:06 am

I get what you are saying. Personally, I think that being ahead of the manga gave the writers a bit more freedom, whereas otherwise they might've felt obligated to stick closer to Toyotaro's interpretation of Toriyama's ideas. Problem with that is that the manga, being monthly instead of weekly, just doesn't have a lot of "room" to develop the story beyond it's key elements given by Toriyama. People are often unhappy that we only see Goku Vegeta being featured, but I think it's just easier to juggle a smaller cast when you only have a chapter a month at your disposal. The anime can do a lot more with the story, as the TOP has proven.

vashter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by vashter » Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:10 am

Super isn’t coming April or July... July has no merchandise coming at all which make both month unlikely, however October is the real shot at the moment plus there is a time slot problem so far

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Sat Jan 12, 2019 2:21 pm

I wonder when they will announce Super's return... :think:

Liquir wrote:
You know, that's a bit sad coming from Toriyama. We all know that Dragon Ball is primarly centered around fighting, but many like other aspects of the series, such as character interaction, world building and lore. I feel like he could go to another route besides making Tournament arcs all the time.
Mister_Popo wrote:2020 is an Olympic year for Tokyo and Japan, Goku is announced as mascot...
What? I thought it was Pikachu!
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:38 pm

vashter wrote:Super isn’t coming April or July... July has no merchandise coming at all which make both month unlikely, however October is the real shot at the moment plus there is a time slot problem so far
I think the timeslot issue is really interesting and I wish to see how Toei and Fuji TV handles it.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

mute_proxy
Advanced Regular

Post by mute_proxy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:17 am

vashter wrote:Super isn’t coming April or July... July has no merchandise coming at all which make both month unlikely, however October is the real shot at the moment plus there is a time slot problem so far
Isn't that exactly the reason why it might be July, because July has no merch yet announced?

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:48 pm

mute_proxy wrote:
Isn't that exactly the reason why it might be July, because July has no merch yet announced?
This doesn’t matter. July’s merchandise could be about new characters introduced in a new show starting in April which is why it won’t be announced yet. It’s not about them not caring about spoilers: they won’t be spoiling a new show like that, the timing of the announcement is something they have to think about to profit from it as much as possible and to avoid it impacting the movie’s sales.
We also have no idea if the new show will still be Dragon Ball Super, or if it will be under a different brand which is why spoiling a possible new brand with toys wouldn’t be a wise choice.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:11 pm

At this point I'm wondering at what event they're going to announce Super's return at. Anything on the way?
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:13 pm

Chuquita wrote:At this point I'm wondering at what event they're going to announce Super's return at. Anything on the way?
Not sure they'll bother, last time, iirc, they just sent out a press statement.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:19 pm

DBZ_Lee wrote:
Chuquita wrote:At this point I'm wondering at what event they're going to announce Super's return at. Anything on the way?
So it'll be whenever they're ready then. That's ok. Many thanks.

I do and don't like when they give us a release day. It's fun to watch in real time if I can, but I can't always make it, so.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

DBZ_Lee
Advanced Regular

Post by DBZ_Lee » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:28 pm

Chuquita wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:

I do and don't like when they give us a release day. It's fun to watch in real time if I can, but I can't always make it, so.
My pleasure, you have a great day.

I really hope Super comes back in October, so it gets plenty of pre-production, but also, Funimation would be in prime position for a Simuldub.

UltraPrimus22
Not-So-Newbie

Post by UltraPrimus22 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:48 pm

Noah wrote: What? I thought it was Pikachu!
For the 2020 Olympics, it's actually a group of well-known anime heroes as mascots for the Games. Goku's one of them, but Luffy (One Piece), Astro Boy, Jibanyan (Yo-Kai Watch), Cure Miracle and Cure Magical (PreCure), Crayon Shin-chan, Naruto, and Sailor Moon are all the known Ambassadors.

I would kill to have Shintani's Goku on a larger scale, even more so than the recent Macy's Thanksgiving Parade.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:37 am

Chuquita wrote:
DBZ_Lee wrote:

I feel like after February we may hear something considering most countries will have Broly by then.
Majinwarman

omaro34

Post by omaro34 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:31 pm

I love Dragonball. Always have, always will. However for the first time a year ago after Super ended, in over 25 years of following the franchise, I wasn't really excited for the upcoming film. I started to gear away and stopped logging in daily to this site. Days turned to months unfortunately.

Dragonball just doesn't have the same excitement it once had in my opinion. Dragonball used to be a getaway from real life problems that I faced over the years, but not anymore and that makes me sad. Maybe I'm finally outgrowing the story, I don't know definitively.

The predictible plot maybe? Bad guy comes and the heroes beat him, or a tournament. Sure this franchise always had those plotlines but there was something exciting about the Z fighters facing a life or death fight from a threat from out of space for the first time, or finding out about an intergalactic tyrant who sells planets to the highest bidder being introduced, or a threat from the future. Maybe I'm being nostalgic but I know there is some element of truth to this. Goku went from a kid who only knew of Earth, did not know his origins and humans being able to challenge him in combat, to this God level fighter who is known throughout the multiverse. Where does he go from here?

I'm looking forward to new announcements and hopefully the new Anime returns, but honestly I won't be as hyped for it as I once was. I'll always follow it though.
"Kami is the Morgan Freeman of Dragonball Z"

Check out my Piccolo page: https://www.facebook.com/PiccoloTheSuperNamek/?ref=hl

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:03 pm

omaro34 wrote:I love Dragonball. Always have, always will. However for the first time a year ago after Super ended, in over 25 years of following the franchise, I wasn't really excited for the upcoming film. I started to gear away and stopped logging in daily to this site. Days turned to months unfortunately.

Dragonball just doesn't have the same excitement it once had in my opinion. Dragonball used to be a getaway from real life problems that I faced over the years, but not anymore and that makes me sad. Maybe I'm finally outgrowing the story, I don't know definitively.

The predictible plot maybe? Bad guy comes and the heroes beat him, or a tournament. Sure this franchise always had those plotlines but there was something exciting about the Z fighters facing a life or death fight from a threat from out of space for the first time, or finding out about an intergalactic tyrant who sells planets to the highest bidder being introduced, or a threat from the future. Maybe I'm being nostalgic but I know there is some element of truth to this. Goku went from a kid who only knew of Earth, did not know his origins and humans being able to challenge him in combat, to this God level fighter who is known throughout the multiverse. Where does he go from here?

I'm looking forward to new announcements and hopefully the new Anime returns, but honestly I won't be as hyped for it as I once was. I'll always follow it though.
Did you watch the new movie because I think it was a great film even though you may have not been hyped since Super ended?
Majinwarman

Jamtia

Post by Jamtia » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:30 am

I am really curious to where they go from the Broly movie.

Will they adapt the movie into a season like the first two movies? In a way I hope not.